PDA

View Full Version : What would winning a Premiership do for the Club

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Have been pondering this question for a bit on the back of the train of thought that membership would rise. The cautious part of my brain sees North's membership after they broke their drought in the mid 90's.

I think there will be some membership increase. But not enough over a sustained period, as if they're joining on the back of success, then they are liable to drop off when we really need them.

For me, I think a premiership will strike at negative innuendo we all saw from (in this case) Essendon people slagging our club because of the length of our premiership drought. Further to that, any of the questions in the far sub conscious in our players and staff about our inability to get to the big dance and win would be massive.

The cash for winning would be well spent too. I'd like to think Free Agents looking for a follow up grand final would be more interested than they were this year.

(I could go on forever about it personally impacting on me, but can we stick to the impact on the club, Cheers.)

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I think the easy answer to the question is that it would set-up the club for sustained success but in reality people being people I wonder if a number of long time supporters would then simply back off thinking the job was done.

A win would drag a lot of fringe supporters out of the wood work and our membership would edge of 40,000. Sponsors would be lining up and so would the high profile players.

It just has to happen.

Greystache
27-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Winning a premiership would give a big short term boost to the club. We'd get the band wagoning supporters who'll jump on, we'll also be guaranteed a good fixture the next couple of seasons which would help us attract more supporters and maximise or appeal to lucrative new sponsors, plus hopefully drive a real change of culture within the club.

All of that is short term however, with the exception of a mini-boost 15 years later from kids who flocked to the team that won the premiership that year, what we need is sustained success. For a club like ours to lift itself out of the lower rungs of the AFL we need to win multiple flags over an extended period of success. Something like 3 flags and another 3 grand final appearances over a 20 year period, similar to what Hawthorn did 30 years ago.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-01-2014, 09:23 PM
what we need is sustained success. For a club like ours to lift itself out of the lower rungs of the AFL we need to win multiple flags over an extended period of success. Something like 3 flags and another 3 grand final appearances over a 20 year period, similar to what Hawthorn did 30 years ago.

This is how I read it too.

We need to mirror that of Hawthorn or Geelong, which of course, is extremely difficult to do. A 'one off' premiership will bring some short term benefits no doubt, but sustained success is absolutely paramount for a club like ours.

You get the feeling that sustained success/multiple flags would see us grow to be one of the bigger clubs, given that the western region is the fastest in terms of development/growth in Australia (or is it Victoria?). There's a lot of untapped potential there.

bornadog
28-01-2014, 12:14 AM
It would help the club with its drive into the Western Region and help ensure the young kids would get on board. Kids love winners and that is what we need. As others have mentioned, it may take awhile to ensure there is sustained support.

boydogs
28-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Given that the western region is the fastest in terms of development/growth in Australia (or is it Victoria?). There's a lot of untapped potential there.

Western Melbourne, Western Sydney & Gold Coast leading the way nationwide. The AFL saw fit to create new teams in the other two areas.

Remi Moses
28-01-2014, 05:04 AM
It would help the club with its drive into the Western Region and help ensure the young kids would get on board. Kids love winners and that is what we need. As others have mentioned, it may take awhile to ensure there is sustained support.

Yep, we need a period of success for that to occur.
Teams like Norf didn't cash in on their sustained success.
Personally I think it was Pagan's not so engaging character that hurt them, and that one of the greatest players of all time was disliked by many.