PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Ever Players Who Weren't Absolute Topliners

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I know some may be surprised, I love supporting our good players who aren't in the class of Grant, West, Johnson etc. Rocco might have taken it a bit further than me (:) ), but I'll stick up for any of our players until it's pretty clear that Rocco will start a thread.

Recently my stable included defending KMac with Fossie (where are you Fossie?), Eagleton was my boy and now with Jarrad Grant since Eagleton retired.

If I go back further to my youth in the early 90's at the Western Oval, I'd back all of the good hearted players that signed my book, jumper, scarf and posters 'during' the magoos, like Nicholson, Sir, Beveridge, Grgic, Ellen and so on.

So who over the journey were the players just underneath that struck a chord with you?

Twodogs
27-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Les Bamblett. My all time favourite footbaler of all time. Lally was a highlight reel. In 1985 he kicked 51 goals crumbing Beasley's marking contests. If the ball spilled off the pack there was Lal waddling towards it, before gathering it up and heading goal wards.

Micky Egan. If you cut the guy he bled red, white and blue. There was never a pack or opponent to big for Mick. Never a job too big or too small for the team. Never an arms's length away from his man.

always right
27-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Terry Wheeler. In a period where we were simply crap, I used to go to games and appreciate Wheel's attack on the ball and how he used to rile opposition players. Look up the term "squirrel grip" and you'll find a picture of Wheeler.

Although some would argue as to how highly rated he was, the other bloke I loved watching was Magic McLean. One of the smoother's movers we've ever seen and I used to love watching him run down blokes who thought they had the pace to cover him....Micky Conlon and Tony Elshaugh to name a couple.

In more recent times I loved Mitch Hahn and his attack on the ball. Was a master of scrapping a goal from a pack situation when everyone else had given up on it as a dead ball.

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't know why but I always liked Peter Quill and yet most Bulldog supporters of that era didn't rate him in the slightest.

boydogs
27-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I liked Lake & Griffen before they were 'Lake' and 'Griffen'. I also like Stringer :D

Hotdog60
27-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I used love watching Geoff Jennings

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTQx/z/26wAAOxyJU1SMSBy/$T2eC16hHJG8FGrys7K7%2BBSMSBwngh!~~60_35.JPG

http://www.fnwb.com.au/videos/players/geoff-jennings/

always right
27-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I used love watching Geoff Jennings

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTQx/z/26wAAOxyJU1SMSBy/$T2eC16hHJG8FGrys7K7%2BBSMSBwngh!~~60_35.JPG

http://www.fnwb.com.au/videos/players/geoff-jennings/

Ditto....but he was rated pretty highly.

ratsmac
27-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Mitch Hahn for me. loved they way he would split packs and kick unexpected goals.

I also loved Stephen Powell. I was shattered when he was traded/off loaded.

lemmon
27-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Was always arguing Andrejs Everitt deserved just one more shot. If he hadn't grown that extra few centimetres after his first year I still reckon he would've been an excellent player

azabob
27-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I liked Lake & Griffen before they were 'Lake' and 'Griffen'. I also like Stringer :D

Lake was Harris, before he was Lake. Who was Griffen, before he was Griffen? Griffin maybe? ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
27-01-2014, 09:42 PM
When I was very very young, Jason Watts. It was around 96 when he was king of the snap goal. No idea what happened to him after that?

Mark West was another.

In later years, probably have to say Matthew Robbins. I was always a big fan and called his move forward when he was still playing down back. Very friendly too.

SonofScray
27-01-2014, 10:14 PM
I was a big fan of Greg Eppelstun. Zeno was another from my earliest memories of watching the Scraggers. More recently Dylan Addison has taken the mantle, thrown into the mix with Tiller and Christian Macri.

Greystache
27-01-2014, 10:21 PM
When I was very very young, Jason Watts. It was around 96 when he was king of the snap goal. No idea what happened to him after that?

Mark West was another.

Funnily enough I was going to say Jason Watts too. I was always impressed with his strength for his size, and he wasn't a bad mark either. I'd been wanting to see him go forward for a couple of years, then in 96 he did and won the goal kicking.

Bulldog4life
27-01-2014, 10:22 PM
When I was a kid I remember Jim Gutterson playing for full back for us. He played mainly ressies as Dave Darcy was full back in the seniors but would take off from full back bouncing the ball sometimes getting nearly to the wing. I loved watching those bounces.I have never forgotten him.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 10:49 PM
I remember using a water ski glove playing juniors after Tony Campbell. Couldn't get long sleeves though. I loved Kellett and Atkins too. Kolynuik is too good for this thread to mention, but everyone loves him.

I had a shine to Matty Dent. He would make a player 'Hahn x Addison' in courage look weak. Love him now still.

SonofScray
27-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Also should add Bernard Toohey to my list. Hard man, moustache.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Also should add Bernard Toohey to my list. Hard man, moustache.
If those smart folk at CERN used Toohey versus Dent in opposing directions in the hadron colider they' would have found the god particle years ago.

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I loved Kellett and Atkins too.

Kellett frustrated me no end. His lack of a left foot kicking skill meant he often ran too far with the ball.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Kellett frustrated me no end. His lack of a left foot kicking skill meant he often ran too far with the ball.
Beethoven had his critics too G, but when he was in full flight I loved his run, but not nearly as much as him playing 101 games... So you're telling me we need to get Josh some left foot training ASAP? :)

bornadog
28-01-2014, 12:02 AM
I loved our team in 1985. Rick Kennedy, was my favourite. He was the meanest footballer I have ever seen, yet off the field he was a gentlemen. Others from 1985 Magic McClean and Andrew Purser.

always right
28-01-2014, 12:07 AM

Always reckoned he thought he was much quicker than he actually was. Had the gift of running himself into dead ends.

Twodogs
28-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Peter Foster, Andrew Purser and Jim Sewell belong on this list although I'd argue that Foster was a star.

boydogs
28-01-2014, 02:34 AM
Lake was Harris, before he was Lake. Who was Griffen, before he was Griffen? Griffin maybe? ;)

I always argued Griffen was better than Deledio, even after Deledio won rising star. They played against each other in their debut season, they both had the explosiveness and long kicking but Griff always had the ability to take the game on. Deledio now sits behind the ball rebounding it, whilst Griff is an elite mid.

GVGjr
28-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Always reckoned he thought he was much quicker than he actually was. Had the gift of running himself into dead ends.

Yep, he would back himself to run around players but often would get caught between bounces running into other players.

Dazza
28-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Croft, Kretiuk, Robbins and Street.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Loved Crofty, all class having to perform against much bigger opponents. Angelo Petraglia was a good B grader as was Dimma. Mocca Dunstan gave his heart each week in losing teams.

bulldogtragic
28-01-2014, 04:57 PM
I forgot about Streety, I even changed my user name temporarily in his honour.

I think Croft was on the low side of being a top liner, he could play the likes of Carey quite well I thought.

always right
28-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I forgot about Streety, I even changed my user name temporarily in his honour.

I think Croft was on the low side of being a top liner, he could play the likes of Carey quite well I thought.

I think you might be over-rating him. He was a good footballer and a very honest one forced to often play out of his weight division....not dissimilar to Kretiuk but with a little more flair.

Greystache
28-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I could never understand why people said poor Matty Croft always had play on much bigger opponents, he was 191cm and 94kg, that's as big as any of the guys in the 90's. Matthew Lloyd was 192cm and 93kg, and even Wayne Carey was 192cm and 97kg.

Kretiuk was the poor soul who had to play on opponents much bigger than him.

Mofra
28-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Stephen Kretiuk was a favourite of mine - almost always outsized but hard as nails and very effective.

bornadog
28-01-2014, 06:17 PM
I could never understand why people said poor Matty Croft always had play on much bigger opponents, he was 191cm and 94kg, that's as big as any of the guys in the 90's. Matthew Lloyd was 192cm and 93kg, and even Wayne Carey was 192cm and 97kg.

Kretiuk was the poor soul who had to play on opponents much bigger than him.

Croft really fixed up Carey a few times, which shows he was a pretty handy fullback.

soupman
28-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I always thought Kretiuk was cool. Still waiting for someone good to wear 35 again.

Also been a big supporter of J Grant and have kept the faith through the hard times.

GVGjr
28-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Croft really fixed up Carey a few times, which shows he was a pretty handy fullback.

I saw him stitch up Sav Rocca as well and it was a thrashing.

ReLoad
28-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I'll throw a few of my personal fav's that were never superstars over the years

Angelo Petraglia.
Mark Hunter
Brad "squirrel" Wira
Todd Curley

and perhaps my all-time "almost a star but really was never ever a star" Simon Minton-Connell.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2014, 10:28 PM
and perhaps my all-time "almost a star but really was never ever a star" Simon Minton-Connell.

I remember him taking a mark above his head in the 98 Preliminary Final when we were getting hammered and getting the bronx cheers! Certainly loved a chest mark or two.

boydogs
28-01-2014, 11:44 PM
I remember him taking a mark above his head in the 98 Preliminary Final when we were getting hammered and getting the bronx cheers! Certainly loved a chest mark or two.

Very good at marking the ball whilst sliding along the ground on his back, Jason Dunstall style

Scraggers
29-01-2014, 04:17 AM
Probably sounds silly, but my favourite 'non-topliner' was Rocket Rod McPherson. To this day he is the reason my favourite number is 43. He wore #43 and played 43 games for the club ... Kismet !!

1985 was also my favourite year as a Footscray supporter ... Loved that team.

mighty_west
29-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Geoff Jennings, I remember a friend of mine somehow aquired his number 25 training jumper, I was so damn jealous even though I had someone's number 31 on the back of my Duffel coat.

I remember one game the club decided to play funny buggers against Essendon at Windy Hill by swapping Geoff's and Terry Wheelers number 35 around, they were both a similar height and build, quite stocky.

Also remember Jennings burning off and making the great Lethal Leigh Matthews look ordinary and slow.

Others: Ian Williams, his highlight was kicking a goal near the siren to defeat the Saints by less than a kick.

Neil Cordy, ever so reliable down back taking grabs.

Nigel Kellet, mainly for the fact I played junior cricket against him, same for the late Ronnie James although he would have been a star had he not left this earth so young.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Most recently would be DFA. Hard as nails, great team-mate and played most weeks in a very good side from 2008-2010. If I remember correctly he actually played the 2010 Preliminary Final with a few cracked ribs. Left the Club with all the grace in the world and he'll no doubt have a big impact on the kids up at GWS.

Bulldog4life
29-01-2014, 12:39 PM

And what a great final game of career he played for us kicking 5 goals as a forward.

Twodogs
29-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Ian Williams, his highlight was kicking a goal near the siren to defeat the Saints by less than a kick.

At Moorabbin in 1983. We were 45 points down going into time on of the third quarter when Beasley got a free kick right in front to get it back to 39 points at 3/4 time. Then we started kicking them from all over the place. I don't know why but me and two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand. We went berserk when the siren went until we realised that we were the only Footscray supporters in the bloody thing and everyone else were giving us some very hard stares.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2014, 04:06 PM
At Moorabbin in 1983. We were 45 points down going into time on of the third quarter when Beasley got a free kick right in front to get it back to 39 points at 3/4 time. Then we started kicking them from all over the place. I don't know why but me and two mates were sitting in the Huggins stand. We went berserk when the siren went until we realised that we were the only Footscray supporters in the bloody thing and everyone else were giving us some very hard stares.

Ha ha ha. Me and my son were daring enough to accept my Collingwood mate's two membership cards to see the filth v. us. I was not suicidal enough to wear our colours but it was like being in the lion cage at the zoo.
That St Kilda game was a riot in the last quarter; Williams kick was a beauty. We were never in the game until the final siren. My brother was in the St Kilda social club, stopped watching, started drinking and chatting and didn't realise we'd won when the siren went.

Twodogs
29-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Ha ha ha. Me and my son were daring enough to accept my Collingwood mate's two membership cards to see the filth v. us. I was not suicidal enough to wear our colours but it was like being in the lion cage at the zoo.
That St Kilda game was a riot in the last quarter; Williams kick was a beauty. We were never in the game until the final siren. My brother was in the St Kilda social club, stopped watching, started drinking and chatting and didn't realise we'd won when the siren went.

It was a rollicking last quarter. Amongst the best I've seen us play. Even when Williams kicked the goal Trevor Barker was in the goal umpires face saying he'd touched it.

Ian Williams? Why didn't he make it? He had all the talent in the World.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2014, 06:46 PM
He was an elite kick.

Webby
29-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Having won a b&f in his second year and being extremely highly regarded within the club, I have to say Andrew Purser is my all time favourite. Mainly because I never felt he was regarded as a top liner amongst other clubs' supporters. I always felt the need to talk him up.

Although not a favourite of mine, one very underrated performance I often think about was Keenan Reynolds' game against Sht Kilda in the 1992 semi at Waverley. He wore Leowe like a cheap suit all day and restricted him to 3 marks. Great performance in only the club's second finals win in 31 years.

Happy Days
29-01-2014, 07:19 PM
I used to love guys we traded in from other clubs when I was younger; Robbins, Garlic, etc. My dad instilled a defeatist attitude in me about how much we sucked, so the idea of someone coming in from another team just made it seem like they would instantly be our best player.

I used to love Farren for no other reason than he was drafted high and at a time I was trying to establish my football elitism; a love I hung onto until long after I knew he was terrible.

comrade
29-01-2014, 08:27 PM
I should probably avoid naming Jarrod Boumann.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Zephy skinner, man he could jump, sad he had nothing else to offer: Air Skinner could
Have been the best slogan ever for our club.

Twodogs
29-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Jon Bennett. Came over from (and went back to) S(hi)t Kilda. I think he kicked a ton in the twos one year. He only played 2 senior games I think.

Webby
29-01-2014, 11:22 PM
This is a bit of an embarrassing admission, but I remember being extremely bullish about Con Gorozidis as a kid. I saw him play a televised 'Army Reserves' game from the Lakeside Oval in 1983. Back in the days when ch7 would broadcast on the Sundays in which the Swans were playing away from the SCG.

I recall Gorozidis playing very well. I also recall him kicking a post high 55-60m goal. He kicked like a mule! I do remember the commentators questioning why Gorozidis seemed to be taking a set shot from "clearly too far out" prior to him slotting it. With my impressionable pea-brain, that made him a bit of an instant hero... He managed a handful of games for us and actually finished off the year quite well.... but was a tad too slow and a tad too short to make it. Perhaps a bit lazy, too. Not sure, really.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2014, 11:36 PM
I liked knowing we had the aero guard kid.

Twodogs
30-01-2014, 12:25 AM
I liked knowing we had the aero guard kid.

We didnt. That's a tall story that gained credence. Jim Plunkett was never the Aeriguard Kid.

always right
30-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Jon Bennett. Came over from (and went back to) S(hi)t Kilda. I think he kicked a ton in the twos one year. He only played 2 senior games I think.

Played his best game for us against the bombers when he kicked two of our three goals....and we lost by less than a kick! Didn't stop raining all day.....one of my favourite memories even though we lost. Fantastic tough game with Hawkins and Neagle treating the crowd to an absorbing head to head duel.

Drunken Bum
30-01-2014, 01:24 AM

I wasn't there as i still lived in country NSW at the time but i remember listening to the call on the radio, the old man telling me to turn it off, missing chunks of minutes when they crossed to the races as we were flying home. To be honest i thought i must of imagined it as i'm pretty sure this is the only time i have seen/heard anyone mention it, could never figure out why it never got a mention in the great comeback games.

As for the topic at hand, Danny Southern probably leads a long list of contenders for me, most of my favourites over the years wouldn't have been considered top liners.

bulldogtragic
30-01-2014, 02:01 AM
We didnt. That's a tall story that gained credence. Jim Plunkett was never the Aeriguard Kid.
Really? Who thought that was a lie worth telling?

Pedro Sanchez
30-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Leon Cameron - hands down.

Bulldog Revolution
30-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Terrific thread, some great names being thrown up who I appreciated - Mick Egan, Matt Croft, Matty Dent, Matt Robbins, Simon Atkins

McLean could have been an absolute superstar, just couldn't get a clean run at it with us - was pretty good the bears though. Everyone thought Mark West was also on the verge but his shoulders were shot.

To BAD - that 1985 side was an incredibly talented lineup - its a real shame that some of our great teams haven't won premierships to validate how good they were (i.e 1985, 1997, 2009).

BornInDroopSt'54
30-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Really? Who thought that was a lie worth telling?

Ha, well said, the shite that pads our dwindling days.

Bulldog Joe
30-01-2014, 10:00 AM

My understanding is that Jim Plunkett was in fact the Aeroguard kid but for the remake of the original ad. So Aeroguard MK II.

I remember speaking to Jimmy about it at a VFL final when he was playing for North Ballarat.

mighty_west
30-01-2014, 12:13 PM
It was a rollicking last quarter. Amongst the best I've seen us play. Even when Williams kicked the goal Trevor Barker was in the goal umpires face saying he'd touched it.

I was also at that game, and have the highlights on video/DVD as part of the '83 Best of the Bulldogs review featuring that and 5 other televised games.

Other non topliner favourites were Darren Baxter and Mark Hunter. Just really enjoyed the way they went about it.

Ghost Dog
30-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I used to love guys we traded in from other clubs when I was younger; Robbins, Garlic, etc. My dad instilled a defeatist attitude in me about how much we sucked, so the idea of someone coming in from another team just made it seem like they would instantly be our best player.

I used to love Farren for no other reason than he was drafted high and at a time I was trying to establish my football elitism; a love I hung onto until long after I knew he was terrible.

Farren Ray - as much as I would like to say he is terrible, clearly a player who makes all 22 games plus finals in his first year at a senior side is not. Still, his lack of appetite for contested footy would not be tolerated by Generalissimo McCartney.
A handy player I guess, at best.
However, IIRC we got Roughead with the trade so pretty happy with that.

When I want a dose of true nostalgia, I close my eyes and visualise Mitch Hahn. I really enjoyed watching him steam around the ground and grind his way through packs. His outstanding feature was his ability to work like a draught horse, and drag the other faults in his game over the line. Commentators like Leigh Matthews often espoused their love for Mitch on more than one occasion. To use the old cliche ' It was the way he went about it.' That's the sort of 'blue collar' player you have to respect.

Doc26
30-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Aside from the top line favourites, Hawk, Fossie, Scotty Wynd, Libba, Grant at the next rung sit:
The Iceman, Greg Epplestun
Mickey McKenna
Stevie Lunn
Matthew Croft
Steven Kretiuk
Neil Cordy (although heading closer to top liner)
Jim Sewell

Maddog37
30-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I am not sure if people call him a top liner, but if not I must admit I have an absolute infatuation with Dale Morris. I played a lot of footy as a backman and the little things he does every week are just as special to me as a freak goal or high mark. Amazing skills.

gohardorgohome
02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I was mates with Zeno Tzatzaris' brother and got to go to Zeno's 21st birthday with all the doggies players. So Zeno was always a favorite.

I played junior footy with Mark Athorn and Matthew Hogg so I always wanted them to go well at the dogs.

For a pure football perspective I used to really admire Matthew Robbins forward line pressure.

It was sad that Mark West's shoulders were no good. That guy was a human wrecking ball.

Bruce Duperouzal was effectively a sub in his time at the dogs and he was a real favorite of many on the terraces.

Always liked Will Minson..... But now he is an All Australian he may not fit the criteria.

Drunken Bum
02-02-2014, 04:24 PM
good call on Duper, was a fan and he was pretty effective playing that sub role before it was a role

Gotta be an EK boy yeah? Still in contact with Steve? haven't seen him for a few yrs now. Was pretty good friends with Hoggy's sister as well.

Twodogs
02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm on the Duper bandwagon too. He was the perfect guy to send on when we needed a goal to get us over the line or someone to sit at the back off the pack and kill the next contest if the game needed saving.

LostDoggy
02-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Wasn't around to see Duper play but he's close mates with my old man. Absolutely loves the Dogs and still follows them very closely.

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Wasn't around to see Duper play but he's close mates with my old man. Absolutely loves the Dogs and still follows them very closely.

It's good to hear that he still takes an interest in us. He must be one if the few players who transferred to us after being captain of his previous club the year before. It's a real shame he retired at the end of 1984 and missed the 1985 season with us. Playing finals would have been a great farewell for him.

Webby
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM

I loved hearing that! Great to know Super Duper still has a soft spot for us. I guess he played in two really positive years when the club was on the rise. He was also escaping a club that were a rabble - going on to 'win' their first of four consecutive wooden spoons straight after his departure.

In many ways, Duper was far more Footscray than 'Aint. He had an ethnic surname, was a determined, workman like player, was certainly no blond-haired party boy and (probably more importantly at the time) was a West Australian!..... And like another famous Footscray son, had a prominent dark moustache and was a very good cricketer!

He might've felt more at home at the Kennel than the Saints disco!

gohardorgohome
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
good call on Duper, was a fan and he was pretty effective playing that sub role before it was a role

Gotta be an EK boy yeah? Still in contact with Steve? haven't seen him for a few yrs now. Was pretty good friends with Hoggy's sister as well.

Yep you picked me for an EK boy.... I haven't seen Steve for ages.

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I loved hearing that! Great to know Super Duper still has a soft spot for us. I guess he played in two really positive years when the club was on the rise. He was also escaping a club that were a rabble - going on to 'win' their first of four consecutive wooden spoons straight after his departure.

In many ways, Duper was far more Footscray than 'Aint. He had an ethnic surname, was a determined, workman like player, was certainly no blond-haired party boy and (probably more importantly at the time) was a West Australian!..... And like another famous Footscray son, had a prominent dark moustache and was a very good cricketer!

He might've felt more at home at the Kennel than the Saints disco!

And was a fast bowler who opened the bowling. I'm pretty sure Duper played Sheffield Shield cricket for WA.

LostDoggy
03-02-2014, 10:50 PM
And was a fast bowler who opened the bowling. I'm pretty sure Duper played Sheffield Shield cricket for WA.

Certainly did. Used to face Dennis Lillee in the nets at training every night.

1eyedog
04-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Fish Standfield. Loved the way he compete. Played key back, key forward and ruck and tried his guts out. really loved him. Steve Kretiuk and Keenan Reynolds are others for similar reasons. I also enjoy watching Bluey Hampshire, Nigel Kellet and Matthew Robbins also.

mighty_west
04-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Cameron Faulkner was one player I really wanted to become a star, he always looked like he worked tirelessly to become better, but always had issues finding the ball.

Mofra
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Fish Standfield. Loved the way he compete. Played key back, key forward and ruck and tried his guts out
Always had a soft spot for the Fish.

I remember once at the Barkley St end he ran back with the flight of the ball, stuck one hand out full extrension and somehow took the mark. For a combination of courage, skill and pure arse it was top notch.

azabob
04-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I was only young when he came to our club but I loved watching Glenn Coleman. Protected our champion in C.Grant and just tried his guts out week in, week out.

I remember one day he broke the point post and I thought, gee surely the news will run with these like they did when Leigh Matthews broke it. But not a single word....

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I was only young when he came to our club but I loved watching Glenn Coleman. Protected our champion in C.Grant and just tried his guts out week in, week out.

Good nomination. He was a great value pick up.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
I remember one day he broke the point post and I thought, gee surely the news will run with these like they did when Leigh Matthews broke it. But not a single word....

I remember that well. one of the trainers had to stand there with a little league point post as a replacement.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-02-2014, 02:21 AM
Cameron Faulkner was one player I really wanted to become a star, he always looked like he worked tirelessly to become better, but always had issues finding the ball.

I liked him too. Nice kid too.

Kicked an absolute beauty from the boundary line v Richmond at the MCG one day. Might have been 05 or 6.

As you said, he just couldn't find enough of the ball.

Sedat
05-02-2014, 11:10 AM
When I got my first Dogs jumper in the early 80's I had the choice of numbers. Could have taken any one of Hawk, Purser, Wally, Jock, Beaser, Kennedy, Super - instead I choose the #5 of Ian Williams. Absolutely loved him in 83/84.

Loved the Lally nomination - he was simply electric in 1985, which was also one of my fondest years supporting the Dogs.

But my absolutely favourite year as a Dogs supporter was 1992, seeing as we ceased to exist 2 years earlier and our rapid climb up the ladder was such a pleasant surprise. There were a number of unsung players in that year who I loved, none more than Danny Del Re. No mean feat to kick over 70 goals in a single season - he pantsed Langford and Frawley that year and then kicked 8 goals in a losing final, which frankly was as a brilliant an individual performance on the big stage as we've ever seen from a Dogs key forward. The afro and the snozz shouldn't take away from his exceptional year in 92 - and he also topped our goalkicking again in 93. Also loved Michael Frost around that time - anyone else remember when he did an 'Ablett' in the final at Waverley against the Saints and plucked the ball out of the ruck contest and kicked a goal in one motion? That game is almost my favourite ever game as a Dogs supporter - St Kilda were supposed to smash us with their superstars like Lockett, Loewe, Winmar and Harvey, and we made then all look second rate. We were 12 goals up in the last qtr and then let them kick a whole bunch of junk time goals to make the score respectable, but it was a clinical flogging

Happy Days
05-02-2014, 12:19 PM
There were a number of unsung players in that year who I loved, none more than Danny Del Re. No mean feat to kick over 70 goals in a single season - he pantsed Langford and Frawley that year and then kicked 8 goals in a losing final, which frankly was as a brilliant an individual performance on the big stage as we've ever seen from a Dogs key forward. The afro and the snozz shouldn't take away from his exceptional year in 92 - and he also topped our goalkicking again in 93.

Why exactly did he fall off so dramatically?

bornadog
05-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Here is a great interview TCD did some time ago: link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2983)

Sedat
05-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Just didn't click with Joycey when he took over from Wheels. Quite similar to what happened to Simon Atkins, Danny got the best out of himself under Terry Wheeler's coaching.

I've always loved the unfashionable types who you can tell give their absolute all for the team. Kritter was one who would frequently have to play much bigger than he was and sacrifice for the team. Prior to his broken leg, Dale Morris would have been comprehensively beaten less than 10 times throughout his entire career - just a brilliant team-oriented player who gives every fibre of his being to the team cause. I was absolutely gutted when we lost the 2009 PF but of all the players I was shattered for, the sight of Morris hobbling around on a fractured leg after absolutely pantsing Reiwoldt in the first half of that match was gut-wrenching.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2014, 05:37 PM
I always liked Matty Robbins. Was it last round 2002 or so he took Collingwood to school with a bag of goals?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Rod McPherson, Micky Egan, Fish, Alby Smedts, Groena, Crofty, Critter, Michael Ford, Skipper, Streeta, Kingsley Hunter really flogging the memory now

anfo27
19-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Super McPherson, Steve Kolynuik & Kretuik. Loved Matty Robbins & Mitch Hahn. Had the opportunity to have a few drinks with Mitch & he was ripping bloke.

josie
19-05-2014, 07:20 PM
I think Morris is a top liner - an absolute star before & after broken leg.

Having only become a member & regular game goer since 1998....I loved Kretiuk, Crofty, Robbins, Romero and my one of my all time faves Hahn. Also had a soft spot for Cookie. And I loved Paul Hudson's accuracy at goal (perhaps he was a topliner considering our dearth of good forwards).

Flamethrower
19-05-2014, 07:51 PM
This thread takes me down memory lane.

I was a big Mocca Dunstan fan when I first followed the Doggies.

In the 80's Shorty Daniels and Murray Rance were my favourites.

In the 90's it was Billy the Kid Kolyniuk and Brett Monty Montgomery.

Recently my favourites have included Dale Morris, Matthew Robbins and Liam Picken.

Remi Moses
19-05-2014, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't say Mocca wasn't a top liner.
I'd go Croft from the 90's followed by galaxy.
The 80's I'd have Micky Egan.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't say Mocca wasn't a top liner.
I'd go Croft from the 90's followed by galaxy.
The 80's I'd have Micky Egan.

I put Crofty in the top liner class. When backs were 000% to smash Carey, Crofty was better than 50/50 I think. Assuming memory is right, that elevates him surely?

Twodogs
19-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Dunstan played for Victoria and was Captain of the club. He was a gun.

Just couldn't kick the ball long and straight.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Just didn't click with Joycey when he took over from Wheels. Quite similar to what happened to Simon Atkins, Danny got the best out of himself under Terry Wheeler's coaching.

I've always loved the unfashionable types who you can tell give their absolute all for the team. Kritter was one who would frequently have to play much bigger than he was and sacrifice for the team. Prior to his broken leg, Dale Morris would have been comprehensively beaten less than 10 times throughout his entire career - just a brilliant team-oriented player who gives every fibre of his being to the team cause. I was absolutely gutted when we lost the 2009 PF but of all the players I was shattered for, the sight of Morris hobbling around on a fractured leg after absolutely pantsing Reiwoldt in the first half of that match was gut-wrenching.

And when you look at the size of Dale, I wonder how it's possible he just keeps beating taller blokes week in and out. Just reads the play so well.

Remi Moses
20-05-2014, 05:03 AM
I put Crofty in the top liner class. When backs were 000% to smash Carey, Crofty was better than 50/50 I think. Assuming memory is right, that elevates him surely?

Probably right BT. I'd say he was underrated more than anything.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Rod & Steve Macpherson were my two favourite non-stars as a kid. I remember getting in an argument with some old North supporter at VFL Park one day. Rod had taken out Keith Greig and the guy was calling him every name under the sun. In hindsight I have no idea if, as I told the guy at the time, it was a fair bump.
I ran into 'Rocket' Rod Macpherson after I moved to Qld when he was at one of my jnr games in a promotional capacity with some other Brisbane Bear team mates. I went up and got his autograph and told him I wished he had stayed with Footscray. He said he did too.

I was also a fan of Robbie Groenewegen. Definitely not the most gifted of players but for some reason I always was happy when I saw his name on the team sheet.

craigsahibee
20-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Love the Matty Dent nomination. I wouldn't be surprised if one day he is declared "legally insane". He was mad. Had a great kick on him from full back where he could pinpoint a player from fifty kicking across his body.

It's hard to pick certain individuals because in my eyes as soon as you're a Bulldog, you are a "topliner"

Darren Baxter is another good call. Had a breakout year in '92 then was traded to the Hawks.

Darren Davies, the goalsneak from Tassie. Hugely talented, but let's just say "not in the mould Macca would rate very highly"

Pinhead Loveless. Words fail me when it comes to Shane.

Happy Days
20-05-2014, 05:49 PM
This is hard for me because all the non-topliners I irrationally loved from my most knowledgable period were either exposed as garbage before (Bowden, Ray) or after (Addison) our "glory" years.

I like the Matty Robbins call; any glory boy who lathers up his arms is alright by me.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Probably right BT. I'd say he was underrated more than anything.

I don't think we appreciated Crofty enough, in reflection. Loved his farewell though.

LostDoggy
21-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Lots of good names on this thread. Like others, hard nuts such as the two Mattys (Dent and Robbins) were favourites.

Also loved Danny Del-Re. The hair, the crazy 1992 finals series.. a bit of stand out for a period there at FF.

bornadog
21-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Lots of good names on this thread. Like others, hard nuts such as the two Mattys (Dent and Robbins) were favourites.

Also loved Danny Del-Re. The hair, the crazy 1992 finals series.. a bit of stand out for a period there at FF.

Danny was great:

Del-Re spent five seasons with Footscray, topping their goalkicking in 1992 and 1993. The 1992 season was his most prolific; he kicked 70 goals, including 13 of them in the finals series. He kicked 8 goals, a club record for a finals match, in the 1992 Qualifying Final against Geelong at the MCG.

You may enjoy this thread: h (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?2983-Interview-With-Danny-Del-Re)ere

LostDoggy
21-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Danny was great:

You may enjoy this thread: h (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?2983-Interview-With-Danny-Del-Re)ere

Thanks, I did enjoy it. I'd forgotten he was a runner under Rocket...not the most obvious choice:)

I remember vividly the excitement of that first quarter in the 92 QF final. It was too good to be true, which unfortunatley was the way it turned out.

Still, "Danny Del-Re!" was a great name to yell out after a goal.

Twodogs
21-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I did enjoy it. I'd forgotten he was a runner under Rocket...not the most obvious choice:)

I remember vividly the excitement of that first quarter in the 92 QF final. It was too good to be true, which unfortunatley was the way it turned out.

Still, "Danny Del-Re!" was a great name to yell out after a goal.

It was like a fantasy wasn't it? Everything we did turned to gold. In a final. Life didnt get much better than that quarter and a half. As soon as

lemmon
13-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Sorry about the bump but I was just having a look at some SANFL clips and came across Shane Birss. He was just about my favourite player for a little while there, always got a strange enjoyment in watching the number 40 with the best posture I've ever seen, run out of half back and deliver a beautiful stab pass

bulldogtragic
13-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry about the bump but I was just having a look at some SANFL clips and came across Shane Birss. He was just about my favourite player for a little while there, always got a strange enjoyment in watching the number 40 with the best posture I've ever seen, run out of half back and deliver a beautiful stab pass

Is my memory correct? Wasn't Birss and Boyd essentially fighting for the same spot, or perceived same spot?

lemmon
13-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Is my memory correct? Wasn't Birss and Boyd essentially fighting for the same spot, or perceived same spot?

Not too sure mate, I was about 10 when Birss was doing his best stuff for us haha. I'm sure someone will know no doubt

bulldogtragic
13-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Not too sure mate, I was about 10 when Birss was doing his best stuff for us haha. I'm sure someone will know no doubt

Cool, players are either much better or much worse when I think of them at that age. Sedat Sir, Ballantyne, Charles...

If stretching back, but I think when I first looked at BF circa 9-10 years, I think there was some debate about Birss vs Boyd. History shows it wasn't much, but I like the spirit in which we allowed him to Saints. I thought he would do better there, or hoped he would.

azabob
14-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Cool, players are either much better or much worse when I think of them at that age. Sedat Sir, Ballantyne, Charles...

If stretching back, but I think when I first looked at BF circa 9-10 years, I think there was some debate about Birss vs Boyd. History shows it wasn't much, but I like the spirit in which we allowed him to Saints. I thought he would do better there, or hoped he would.

From memory did Birss cope a serious eye injury?

EasternWest
14-06-2014, 08:42 PM
From memory did Birss cope a serious eye injury?

Yup. The same day Grant did his knee IIRC.

Edit: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/13/1071125710964.html

I had a lot of time for Birss, unsurprisingly.