PDA

View Full Version : Player Meetings & Memories

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 03:08 PM
As I mentioned a while I moved house, and like most, I've had boxes packed and still in-emptied from many moves before, so I thought I'd open it.

I found my old a Western Oval seat ticket and cheer squad membership from one year I thought I'd give the cheer squad a go (refer to the cheer squad threads for my thoughts on that). I also found some more old photos to add to the ones of the day Doug overtook Teddy.

So I just found some more photos with Doug and Super from a afternoon at Western Oval, I'm guessing their from the old social club areas from decades back. Brought back all sorts of encounters with players. This occasion Super showed me the 'cool' handshake we took for the photo (and then every handshake I did for the next 5 years), so I may have to get one with Darcy the same way. Doug and all the players were awesome too. All the memories of other events have come flooding back to me of times with players like Danny Southern explaining to me who the guy was sitting next to him and whether I wanted his autograph (Shane Ellen) (whoops), or standing next to Libba thinking I could be tall enough to play AFL and then Scotty Wynd coming up to us to put my excitement into perspective...

So with East-West day coming up, what were your formative experiences with the players, who, what, where and when?

always right
27-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Sat next to Jarrad Grant and Brennan Stack at a work function in their first or second year. Polite and friendly but incredibly shy.

The one who sticks out for me is Dale Morris. Always....and I mean always treats everyone with respect and engages in conversation willingly. Imagine the number of times he's been asked about his broken leg yet he responds as if you were the first person to ask him. Quality person.

Big Will and Murph are always approachable and Eade and McCartney likewise.

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I've been very fortunate to meet a number of players over the years but a half time chat with Chris Grant in one of the final series games against Hawthorn isn't something that I will forget.

The interesting part for me was that season he had spent a lot of time with the Vic Country team and he really enjoyed having a chat about the players. He had an high opinion of Nick Suban and we spent a good 5 minutes or so talking about Jordan Roughead. A couple of months later we drafted him.

Always Right mentioned Brennan Stack, Bornadog and I went to a sponsors night where Brennan sat at our table along with Callan Ward. I think we both were impressed by his focus on his football but as AR mentioned he was an incredibly shy youngster. Shame he didn't make it.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Always Right mentioned Brennan Stack, Bornadog and I went to a sponsors night where Brennan sat at our table along with Callan Ward. I think we both were impressed by his focus on his football but as AR mentioned he was an incredibly shy youngster. Shame he didn't make it.

At times he showed a bit with the way he'd run and carry, leap and deliver the footy but unfortunately he wasn't as hard at the contest as he needed to be and he did panic a little.

Macca always leaves a great impression on you, I've met him a few times and he's always very easy going. I had a chat to Simon Garlick late last year and he was very polite and talkative too.

Going back a few years ago now, Grant/Johnson/Darcy were always great with their time and my parents have reminded me a few times how gracious Monty was when I asked for an autograph as a young kid back before he was traded.

Naf Brown was a tool, and at the time he was my favourite player, so that was disappointing. Have briefly met him in the last 12 or so months again and I can confirm he is still a tool.

Twodogs
27-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Many years ago before a night final in 1994 and I was living with my dear old mum. Anyway by about 3 in the afternoon she said she'd had enough of me and told me to take a walk. So I'm walking around thinking about football when Ijlia Grgic looms into view. He too had been thrown out of the house by his mum.

always right
28-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Many years ago before a night final in 1994 and I was living with my dear old mum. Anyway by about 3 in the afternoon she said she'd had enough of me and told me to take a walk. So I'm walking around thinking about football when Ijlia Grgic looms into view. He too had been thrown out of the house by his mum.

Christ.....how big was his mum?:eek:

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Christ.....how big was his mum?:eek:

You don't need to be that big to have clout as a Croatian matriarch.

bornadog
28-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Met Crofty through work when he was still playing and still keep in touch every now and then. Terrific bloke, saw him at an event recently and is still a loyal bulldog.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Met Doug Hawkins at the Doncaster pub and he was very friendly. I did the talking and he did the laughing. Met Eade at Box Hill Golf Club in summer after his first season and he halted his round to answer all my questions, what a gentleman. Met Aker and Matthew Boyd also at BHGC the summer of Aker's first year and again very approachable. Boyd apologised for the team's lack of success and obviously intended to assume responsibility. Aker, having made the first green with Dave Hughes in the group, for some reason ran back up the hill to the club house and back, moving very smoothly, not worrying that he had another 10km or so to walk.

Mofra
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
When I was in Grade 3 we were asked to submit a project, could be any topic we chose so of course I chose Footscray.

I wanted to get pictures so Jack Collins organised Tony McGuinness to drop by his shop and leave a copy of a Bulldog Magazine for me - I was one very happy kid that day.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
That reminds me when a few of the boys had an AFL shop, (Highpoint??), and you could rely on a player to chat with you. Leon Cameron signed me some stuff one day, such a likable person, and then we traded him. Shattering. I still love him, that Turtle found it so hard to tell him, but did so at midnight face to face speaks volumes of rating him. I hope he can turn that rabble around with all his tall forwards.