PDA

View Full Version : Crimes Against Humanity (aka following the dogs)

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Sorry to be officious but I want to see how long, far back in time, how interesting and interpretations we can get. The thread is about a 'crime' against the club and / or it's supporters from the footy gods, umpires, officials, injuries, interpretations of rules, league officials, decisions, injuries, acts of malicious wounding to our players, tribunal decisions, and so forth.

The rules are simple:

Nominate only one such circumstance per post.

Please give a handful of posts from others (possibly from different eras) before re-posting.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Chris Grant having the Brownlow stolen off him by Ian Collins.

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 11:17 PM
The footy gods moving Quinlan, who was my favourite all time player, to Fitzroy and thus robbing us of his best years.

bornadog
28-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Deliberate out of bounce against Aker in the 2009 Prelim. A joke of a rule (the way it was interrupted) and cost us the game.

always right
28-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Same game...first quarter...dogs right on top...Shaggy penalised for incorrect disposal....after kicking the ball 25 metres...saints kick their first. When asked after the game, umpire McInerney is at a loss. "I just didn't see him kick it". That game made me a Mcinerney hater for life.

Twodogs
28-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Michael McKenna being knocked unconscious in 1983 at the SCG then being pinged for holding the ball as he lay prostate on the ground.

I mean c'mon. The guy was UNCONSCIOUS! HTF was he supposed to get rid off the ball?

bulldogtragic
28-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Todd Curley having his career (virtually) ended for an 'ump bump' which would be lucky to get a small fine now. This one really angers me.

Remi Moses
28-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Dempsey leaving to play In a flag.(didn't happen)

ReLoad
28-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Rod Grinters attempted murder of Plough at the western oval in 1988, one of the worst things I have ever seen in football.

(I was going to say Todd Curley too, so much so that the next week against Port in Adelaide I made up a big "Free Todd Curley" banner that me and my mates held up during the game)

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Noel Teasdale assaulting Bob Gray as young me looked on, ending his career. It was a fist or forearm to the head, a coat hanger.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Rod Grinters attempted murder of Plough at the western oval in 1988, one of the worst things I have ever seen in football.

(I was going to say Todd Curley too, so much so that the next week against Port in Adelaide I made up a big "Free Todd Curley" banner that me and my mates held up during the game)

Couldn't agree more. Grinter should have been charged by the police for that, it had nothing to do with football, it was assault pure and simple.

Ozza
28-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Libba kicking a grand final position sealing goal, which was given a behind, in the 1997 prelim.

Maddog37
28-01-2014, 03:32 PM
The AFL paying for Cal Ward to leave us.

Mitcha
28-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Danny Southern getting rubbed out for wrestling when all he did was try to get 3 blokes belting the hell out of Scott West, off him, farcical.

Ghost Dog
28-01-2014, 07:27 PM
If this is the Bulldog book of grudges, do we have enough space on the server for how long this thread is going to be?:)

azabob
28-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Act of the footy god...

1994 Qualifying final -

Terrible, terrible first quarter. Get back into the game and then...

Goal after the siren by Billy Brownless to win Geelong the game.

azabob
28-01-2014, 09:53 PM
1991 - Western Oval - Footscray V Carlton

40 seconds to go in the game Carlton have not kiced a goal, that is right have not kicked one goal.

Unitil Mark Aceri recieved an extrememly dubious free kick for holding the man and kicks a goal.

The footy god must have been on the umpire side as he is lucky Super McPherson didn't clock him one...

azabob
28-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Crime against supporters.

The 2003 & 2004 season.

azabob
28-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Brian Royle.

Left stranded 199 games and 299 goals because of season ending injury....

(there was time in 2013 when I thought Gia would suffer a similar fate).

bulldogtragic
28-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Anthony Rocca slinging Bob Murphy when he was in line for All Australian HF, but then spent 12 months out with an ACL.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Anthony Rocca slinging Bob Murphy when he was in line for All Australian HF, but then spent 12 months out with an ACL.

OK this thread has now reached torture stage. Suffice to say the gods owe us, but we can't rely on them, we're going to have to make it happen, but but we can believe that our time is due.

Twodogs
28-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Libba's goal in the '97 Prelim. I was 6 rows from the fence sitting in line with that goalpost. I know it was a goal because I watched it go through.

Hotdog60
28-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Kelvin Templeton knee injury in the pre season game against Melbourne that basically ended his career.

Greystache
28-01-2014, 11:36 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread I read- Crimes Against Humanity (eg Aka following the Dogs)

And I thought to myself, yep the bleached haired little turd following the Bulldogs would be a crime against humanity. Then I realised it wouldn't be someone commenting on him because he's all but forgotten by the AFL industry :D

GVGjr
28-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Libba's goal in the '97 Prelim. I was 6 rows from the fence sitting in line with that goalpost. I know it was a goal because I watched it go through.

Yeah but isn't your sight the equivalent of Trooper Vanderbilt from F Troop? ;)

Greystache
28-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Oh yeah, and Shane Woewoeful getting 3 votes for a mediocre 16 possession game in round 22 to steal the Brownlow off Scott West. The Richmond players even came over to congratulate him before the votes were announced saying Woewoeful was shocking that day and no chance of getting a vote.

Bulldog Revolution
28-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Finishing 2nd last to Fitzroy in 1996 and getting pick 10 in the draft

Bulldog Revolution
28-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Getting no compensation for Tony McGuinness and Kym Koster both going to the Adelaide Crows

GVGjr
28-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Getting no compensation for Tony McGuinness and Kym Koster both going to the Adelaide Crows

We lost access to Simon Tregenza didn't we?

Greystache
28-01-2014, 11:59 PM
We lost access to Simon Tregenza didn't we?

I think we drafted him and then when it was announced the Crows were going to join he refused to come and was selected the next year as a local by Adelaide.

bornadog
29-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Georgie Bissett missing out on a Brownlow. Last round of the season, Bissett gets reported after playing a blistering game. Umpires give him no votes, yet on Monday he is cleared by the tribunal. Kevin Murray wins the Brownlow by a couple of votes over Bissett who should have had the three.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2014, 11:18 AM
The club notifying members of a great recruit, Tom Alvin, coming to the team from our recruiting zone and Carlton stealing him.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Nick Riewoldt taking a dive after Brian Lake brushed passed him in the 2009 Preliminary Final. Been debated to no end on this forum but in my view was totally against the spirit of the game and he's the only bloke in the competition that free kick would have been paid to. Makes my blood boil to this day.

Bulldog4life
29-01-2014, 01:21 PM
The Afl banned the flick pass in early to mid 60's. Teddy Whitten and the boys had perfected the flick pass and we reached the 1961 Grand Final using this great weapon. It was sensational to watch. It was said that the umpires complained to the VFL that they couldn't tell if the ball was hit with the open hand or thrown although rumours at the time suggested other Clubs were behind the ban.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2014, 01:29 PM
The Afl banned the flick pass in early to mid 60's. Teddy Whitten and the boys had perfected the flick pass and we reached the 1961 Grand Final using this great weapon. It was sensational to watch. It was said that the umpires complained to the VFL that they couldn't tell if the ball was hit with the open hand or thrown although rumours at the time suggested other Clubs were behind the ban.

Great call!
It was like bodyline being brought in to stop Bradman, the cradle cannon banned in billiards to stop Walter Lindrum and Mohammad Ali being conscripted at the height of his powers. Desparate measures to stop a great.

Axe Man
29-01-2014, 01:45 PM
The inexplicable lack of a free kick paid against Max Rooke after cannoning front on into Brad Johnson as he attempted to mark in the final quarter of the 2008 preliminary final. OK, we probably would have still lost the game but Rooke kicking a goal straight after giving away a blatant free killed the contest.

Twodogs
29-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Yeah but isn't your sight the equivalent of Trooper Vanderbilt from F Troop? ;)

Who said that? Come out I can hear you!

If it was just me then I'd agree with you but everybody around me were high fiving each other until somebody said "Hang on. The goal umpire said it was a point"

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Neil Sachse was shaping as being a gun recruit until he was poleaxed and made a quadriplegic.

azabob
29-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Ron James - R.I.P

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Georgie Bissett missing out on a Brownlow. Last round of the season, Bissett gets reported after playing a blistering game. Umpires give him no votes, yet on Monday he is cleared by the tribunal. Kevin Murray wins the Brownlow by a couple of votes over Bissett who should have had the three.

This is the incident that started my bitterness....

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Terry Wallet leaving the club but expecting to coach until the end of the year. Really played havoc with my emotions.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Tom Davidson wasting our only rookie spot and our donors cash.

Happy Days
30-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Peter Rhode

The 2003 Trade Week

Tom Williams' limbs

Aka's op-ed on gay AFL players

And I thought everything had been covered

BulldogBelle
02-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Changing our name to The Western Bulldogs. A vague name that does not associate us with any particular region. Confuses the dickins out of people in Western Australia.

If they were going to change our name I would have preferred Western Suburbs or even Western Melbourne.

I think that it was changed from Footscray as the name seemed to be too lower class and not able to attract sponsors. Maybe we should have been playing the lower-class card and attracted more government grants.

BulldogBelle
02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Changing our jumper back to the old premiership style. We won the 1954 premiership because we were the better side, not because our jumper helped.

The jumper is mainly blue coloured that doesn't stand out, fading somewhat into the background, It has a red and white band that looks like we have been chopped in half and are bleeding.

In short, it looks like a dogs breakfast.

Worst of all it was us, the fans who voted it back in.

We need a complete redesign of our jumper, colours and designs play a significant role in our lives and can influence how well we live, work and play.

Eastdog
02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Changing our jumper back to the old premiership style. We won the 1954 premiership because we were the better side, not because our jumper helped.

The jumper is mainly blue coloured that doesn't stand out, fading somewhat into the background, It has a red and white band that looks like we have been chopped in half and are bleeding.

We need a complete redesign of our jumper, colours and designs play a significant role in our lives and can influence how well we live, work and play.

I think it's a good jumper in my opinion. What do you think of it compared to the one when we had the robodog.

ratsmac
02-02-2014, 07:13 PM
The bulldogs not offering Leon Cameron a longer contract and he leaves to go to Richmond

ratsmac
02-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Brad Johnson's calf injury in his last season

ratsmac
02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Luke Darcy's knee

Eastdog
02-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Luke Darcy's knee

Chris Grant's knee also ratsmac.

boydogs
02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Changing our name to The Western Bulldogs. A vague name that does not associate us with any particular region. Confuses the dickins out of people in Western Australia.

If they were going to change our name I would have preferred Western Suburbs or even Western Melbourne.

I think that it was changed from Footscray as the name seemed to be too lower class and not able to attract sponsors. Maybe we should have been playing the lower-class card and attracted more government grants.

There's a Richmond in NSW, QLD & SA as well, should they change their name?

There's a reason why GWS aren't just Western Sydney or Blacktown, the name has to cover the region you represent without being too much of a mouthful.

The name change was a message to the people of Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Williamstown, Altona, Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Deer Park, St Albans, Keilor, Sunshine, Yarraville, Braybrook and more, that the Bulldogs are their team, and not just a team for the town of Footscray. The new name and community engagement that followed is what got me on board.

We are already losing the west to Collingwood and Essendon, if anything we need a further commitment to the greater west, and not a step backwards to the 1880's when Footscray was the west.

ratsmac
02-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Chris Grant's knee also ratsmac.

Yep, of course how could I forget.

Eastdog
02-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Yep, of course how could I forget.

Was a terrible season for us but we played very well that day against Geelong in the opening round. After he came back from that he wasn't the same player.

always right
02-02-2014, 10:52 PM

I love our jumper.

bornadog
03-02-2014, 12:11 AM
I love our jumper.

So do I , but I would also love to see a radically different one for away games, or special occasions. The EPL does it so well, with some great designs.

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 01:05 AM
I love our jumper.

Me too. The fact it was voted in by our members means a lot.

Maddog37
03-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I would love to see black shorts.

Remi Moses
03-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Honestly, some of our fans moan way to often.
The fans voted overwhelmingly to return to the traditional guernsey(personally really didn't give a continental). The name change was an attempt to gather new support in a fast growing region. ( once again couldn't give a rats clacker)The positive is we've maintained our identity by location and colors, unlike Fitzroy and South Melbourne.

Remi Moses
03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
There's a Richmond in NSW, QLD & SA as well, should they change their name?

There's a reason why GWS aren't just Western Sydney or Blacktown, the name has to cover the region you represent without being too much of a mouthful.

The name change was a message to the people of Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Williamstown, Altona, Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Deer Park, St Albans, Keilor, Sunshine, Yarraville, Braybrook and more, that the Bulldogs are their team, and not just a team for the town of Footscray. The new name and community engagement that followed is what got me on board.

We are already losing the west to Collingwood and Essendon, if anything we need a further commitment to the greater west, and not a step backwards to the 1880's when Footscray was the west.

Well said

bulldogtragic
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Bonds not paying their sponsorship monies.

Rocket Science
03-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Wayde Skipper ... Jeff White ... ugh.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Wayde Skipper ... Jeff White ... ugh.
I was going to mention this... So I'm not the only one...

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Paul Hudson for running between Chris Grant and the Adelaide player and attempt to scoop to scoop the ball virtually out of Grants hands instead of sheperdhinng.

To be fair he became a very good player, All Australian, leading goal kicker 2 or 3 times but I could never look at him without thinking of that day.

westdog54
03-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Three players being dragged before the tribunal in 1997 for picking on Michael Gardiner before the opening bounce. David Smorgon came out on Tribunal night and declared that the tribunal were turning the game into netball.

LostDog
03-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Paul Dooley
Nathan Saunders

bulldogtragic
20-04-2014, 06:36 PM
This game...

hujsh
14-07-2021, 10:22 AM

Sorry to necro an old thread but is there video of this anywhere? Unable to find it myself and want to use it as an example

bornadog
14-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Sorry to necro an old thread but is there video of this anywhere? Unable to find it myself and want to use it as an example

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmmj52vsgU&ab_channel=BanLiveExport

Happy Days
14-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Wow that looked unbelievably painful.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2021, 11:58 AM

What’s the example for, or argument your going to make?

Dancin' Douggy
14-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Chris Grant having the Brownlow stolen off him by Ian Collins.

I still hate Ian Collins for that, and ALWAYS WILL!!!!

hujsh
14-07-2021, 03:12 PM
What’s the example for, or argument your going to make?
Someone in a discord group I'm in posted an image comparing AFL, Rugby and Gridiron. For tacking the only thing it said under AFL was 'is not as hard as the other two sports'

And while the bodies are bigger in the other two sports I'm giving an example of how the tacking is a bit more 360 with more variety in sizes (generally) and can still hurt real bad.

Not an argument because I'm about the only person in the group who really knows much of anything about sport, so more for illustrative purposes.

Axe Man
14-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Someone in a discord group I'm in posted an image comparing AFL, Rugby and Gridiron. For tacking the only thing it said under AFL was 'is not as hard as the other two sports'

And while the bodies are bigger in the other two sports I giving an example of how the tacking is a bit more 360 with more variety in sizes (generally) and can still hurt real bad.

Not an argument because I'm about the only person in the group who really knows much of anything about sport so more for illustrative purposes.

A teammate of mine a couple of weeks ago was tackled just near me in an awkward fashion. He damaged knee ligaments (fortunately avoided rupturing his ACL), broke his leg and now also requires surgery for a syndesmosis injury. This is over 35s footy and was by no means a high speed situation! Tackling in AFL can be very dangerous.

1eyedog
15-07-2021, 12:02 AM
Errk can this thread be banished to the bog of eternal stench already?

merantau
15-07-2021, 06:00 AM
Great call!
It was like bodyline being brought in to stop Bradman, the cradle cannon banned in billiards to stop Walter Lindrum and Mohammad Ali being conscripted at the height of his powers. Desparate measures to stop a great.

Cradle cannon = "nursery cannon"????

merantau
15-07-2021, 06:02 AM

I think Norm Smith, "the doyen of coaches" had a hand in it.

merantau
15-07-2021, 06:22 AM
Greg Dear from Hawthorn broke one of our pkayer's legs but I can't remember which one. Was it Steve Kretiuk?

Bulldog Joe
15-07-2021, 08:17 AM
Greg Dear from Hawthorn broke one of our pkayer's legs but I can't remember which one. Was it Steve Kretiuk?

It was actually Paul Dear that perpetrated the crime. Peter Foster was the unfortunate victim and it severely impacted our 1992 finals side.

merantau
15-07-2021, 09:24 AM
It was actually Paul Dear that perpetrated the crime. Peter Foster was the unfortunate victim and it severely impacted our 1992 finals side.

Thanks for putting me straight.

EasternWest
15-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Thanks for putting me straight.

Which, ironically, is not what Peter Foster said to Paul Dear.

Dancin' Douggy
15-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Brian Lake to Hawthorn for essentially nothing. Wins a Norm Smith and 3 consecutive flags.
That STINGS. Such utter stupidity at the trade table.

comrade
15-07-2021, 03:09 PM
Brian Lake to Hawthorn for essentially nothing. Wins a Norm Smith and 3 consecutive flags.

Hey Hawks, how would you like to fill in the last gap that will make you an unstoppable winning machine? Even better, how about you only pay peanuts for it?

Happy Days
15-07-2021, 04:18 PM
Hey Hawks, how would you like to fill in the last gap that will make you an unstoppable winning machine? Even better, how about you only pay peanuts for it?

But to be completely fair to you, we have to do the trade RIGHT NOW, don’t even TRY to offer us more we will not hear it.

comrade
15-07-2021, 04:26 PM
But to be completely fair to you, we have to do the trade RIGHT NOW, don’t even TRY to offer us more we will not hear it.

This is a one time offer, must be done the first day of trade week or else!

Dancin' Douggy
16-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Trading pick 19 to Fremantle for Steven Koops. They pick David Mundy with pick 19.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2021, 08:06 PM
Trading pick 19 to Fremantle for Steven Koops. They pick David Mundy with pick 19.

So they got 349 games so far from Mundy. We got 11 games and 0 goals from Koops. We’ll call it a draw.

Twodogs
16-07-2021, 08:25 PM

This is a one time offer, must be done the first day of trade week or else!

And you know what? If you don't take him off our hands for sweet FA in return then we are going to play him at full forward. We don't care if he's an AA fullback and we have nobody to replace him!

Bahahahahahaha!!! Ken Bruce has gone mad!!!

https://youtu.be/vWGIytePrRI

Dancin' Douggy
16-07-2021, 08:59 PM
I won't sleep tonight. I've gone COMPLETELY mad.

And you know what? If you don't take him off our hands for sweet FA in return then we are going to play him at full forward. We don't care if he's an AA fullback and we have nobody to replace him!

Bahahahahahaha!!! Ken Bruce has gone mad!!!

https://youtu.be/vWGIytePrRI

Twodogs
17-07-2021, 10:48 PM
I won't sleep tonight. I've gone COMPLETELY mad.

I met Ken Bruce at his shop in Chapel Street store in Prahran one day. It had been a wild sleepless few days beforehand and I remember my friend saying "is that who I think it is?" and Ken shooting back with "afraid you've gone maaaad?"

choconmientay
18-07-2021, 10:47 AM
So this thread is dated back to 2014. If I understood the topic right I have one to add. The AFL moved in soo quickly to change the third man up rule after we won our 2016 premiership and set us back for at least 3-4years.

A near miss when they were trying to change the Academy players rule to take away Marra from us.