PDA

View Full Version : 1983

Webby
28-01-2014, 01:29 PM
We're just in that period of the year now which I call 'limbo' season. It's the period in which one really just sits in anticipation - not really knowing what to expect.

It got me reflecting on the summer of 1982/83. A time when the Footscray Football Club appeared to be in more trouble than Burke & Wills! To paint a picture of the low expectations of that summer:

By the start of 1983:

Footscray had won just 5 of their past 46 games by the end of 1982.. Winning the 1982 wooden spoon.
In October 1982 Footscray sold 1980 Brownlow Medallist, club record goal kicker, captain and legend- Kelvin Templeton
Templeton had been the club's one shining light for the previous 4 years. It was simply shocking! It felt like the end!
3 time club B&F - Ian Dunstan followed him out the door (a path well worn by 6 time Dogs b&f Gary Dempsey)

In fact, Dunstan, Templeton and Dempsey (who had left a few years earlier for North) represented all of the past TEN Footscray B&F's!!!
1981 club captain - Geoff Jennings, was destroyed by chronic groin issues. He would see out his contract, contributing 5 more games
Terry Wheeler was finished by the end of 1982 after 155 games (managing just 2 more)
26 year old Templeton & 27 year olds Dunstan, Jennings & Wheeler represented over 500 games of experience to Footscray (KT & Jennings were my two favourite players..)

In the previous month, Footscray district local and club reject, Brian Wilson, had won the Brownlow Medal with Melbourne - aged 21.. Something else to feel great about..!
Wilson joined Footscray discards, Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan as the three most recent Brownlow Medallists
An unflattering stat is that in the 19 months between August 1981 and March 1983, ex-Footscray players won as many Brownlow Medals with other clubs as Footscray did games of football!!
It was an absolutely demoralising time for the club
Gary Dempsey also finished equal fourth to Wilson in that 1982 Brownlow count - just for good measure!

Dempsey, Wilson, Templeton, Round & Quinlan made up FIVE ex-Footscray Brownlow Medallists - running around in the VFL for OTHER clubs in Rd 1 of 1983. A record.
Quinlan was on his way to 116 goals in 1983 and Templeton kicked 8 in his second game for Melbourne.
Meanwhile, Round had followed up his 1981 Brownlow with a respectable 5th (one vote behind Dempsey) in the '82 count

This predicament trumps even Fitzroy's troubles of the mid 1990's. Fitzroy had Paul Roos, Richard Osborne, Alistair Lynch & Gary Pert running around for different clubs (Obviously a disastrous predicament!)
Footscray of 1983 had Gary Dempsey (7 time club b&f & Brownlow Medallist), Kelvin Templeton (dual Norm Smith Medallist, Brownlow Medallist & dual club b&f ), Barry Round (Brownlow Medallist and dual Swans b&f winner), Brian Wilson (reigning Brownlow Medallist) & Bernie Quinlan (dual Norm Smith Medallist & Brownlow Medallist) running around for opposition clubs.

It also had a LESS experienced side than the Fitzroy team of 1996...
So, going into round 2 of 1983, Footscray had won 5 of its past 46 games
It had 5 Brownlow Medallist ex-players plus an additional triple club best & fairest running around for other clubs

In addition, 2 of the club's most senior players (Jennings & Wheeler) would contribute only another 7 games between them due to injury...
Footscray were fielding a team which contained only 3 players with more than 50 games of league experience (and none over 100)
They were hosting a Carlton side who were reigning back to back premiers, had just won the night premiership and also thrashed 1982 runners up, Richmond, by 10 goals the previous week)

Then out of nowhere, the Dogs went on to beat Carlton. Going on a 4 game winning streak to sit 4th on the ladder at 4 & 1 by the completion of round 5. Thus bettering the 3 wins they'd had from the previous 31 games!
Footscray fielded unknowns Brian Royal, Peter Foster, Steve Wallis, Andrew Purser and Jim Sewell.. They were joined later by Michael McLean and youngsters Steve McPherson and 'Ricky' Kennedy. Good times!

Those 4 wins included the reigning back to back premiers, the previous year's grand finalists and the eventual 1983 premiers - Hawthorn.

It was out of nowhere and the feel good factor was incredible! Suddenly there seemed to be a future for the Dogs whereas a month earlier, it smelt like death! Although we obviously hit an off-field snag in 1989, our performances from that 1983 season on have been pretty good. I think '83 is often overlooked in our history. It was also our centenary year, from memory? There was clearly a bit of something special in the air. I remember the massive uplift that March '83 gave me... I wouldn't mind a similar pleasant surprise in March 2014!!

Does anyone recall from those days any administrative changes or anything? Key administrators who should get a nod?

bornadog
28-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Yes it was our centenary year (although some evidence exists of Footscray forming a few years earlier).

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/thegame1983.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/thegame1983.jpg.html)

I remember going out to Waverley to watch the centenary match challenge against the Roys who were also celebrating the same.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1983doggies.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/1983doggies.jpg.html)

There were some great players in that team (or eventually became great)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1983teams.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/1983teams.jpg.html)

Yes there was some optimism in 1983 after the previous bleak years. We were starting to build something and the recruiting at the end of that year was unbelievable. By the start of the first match in 1984, half the team were from interstate (unheard of those days) with at least 8 WA players.

I can't remember what year Shane O"Sullivan came, but he had a lot to do with the recruiting. Malthouse was appointed for the 1984 season and with the blend of youth and experienced interstaters we were on our way to winning many games.

The most memorable game in 1983 was ANZAC day (yes ANZACday), at the MCG against Richmond. 51,000 plus turned up and we kicked 10 goals in the first quarter to Richmond's three behinds, we were on fire. Richmond came back and kicked 8 in the next quarter and the game was a 2 point thriller our way.

We also pushed Collingwood at home losing by 6 points and at Victoria Park losing by 9 points. We ended up winning 10 games in 1983 and 11 in 1984.

Remi Moses
28-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Basically it was money ball recruiting by Shane o'sullivan.
The magpie game at Vic park we got robbed by awful officiating.
Remember the excitement as we were Match of the day with Lou and peter landy, and beat Hawthorn.

Twodogs
28-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Tony Capes took over as president and he got Shane O'Sullivan over from Carlton to take over as General Manager.

O'Sullivan knew every trick on the dodgy recruiting play book. It was mainly down to him that big turn around. He unearthed some gems in the 82/83 off season. Purser, Sewell, Royal, Foster, Wallis all debuted round 1 1983. I can remember we had ten debutants that day.

Webby
28-01-2014, 03:35 PM
I kept that Centennary Record with Jock and EJ on the cover for years. I also recall that Anzac game against Richmond. Edmond kicked a bag.

One other thing I forgot to add to the list was that in rd 22 of 1982, the scum from north of the Maribyrnong beat us by 24+ goals... That was a nice one to dwell on over the summer! So March 1983 was great.

Our crowd numbers at the WO in 1983 were well up on previous years. Only 650 or so down on our '85 crowds. It was a fun year. Although, as a young side, we did get the occasional thrashing.

Webby
28-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Tony Capes took over as president and he got Shane O'Sullivan over from Carlton to take over as General Manager.

O'Sullivan knew every trick on the dodgy recruiting play book.

From memory, Carlton held Sewell's WA-Vic transfer 'dibs'.. I'm guessing O'Sullivan would've facilitated the Bruce Reid to Carlton trade in return for the Blues releasing Sewell to us?.... Thus costing us Ben and Sam under F/S?... Not that O'Sullivan could or should be blamed for that, of course!

There's still footage of us booing Bruce Reid in that rd2, 1983 game! I felt for Bruce. I believe he didn't want to leave the Dogs and remained a Doggies man post-retirement.

bornadog
28-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I kept that Centennary Record with Jock and EJ on the cover for years. I also recall that Anzac game against Richmond. Edmond kicked a bag.

One other thing I forgot to add to the list was that in rd 22 of 1982, the scum from north of the Maribyrnong beat us by 24+ goals... That was a nice one to dwell on over the summer! So March 1983 was great.

Our crowd numbers at the WO in 1983 were well up on previous years. Only 650 or so down on our '85 crowds. It was a fun year. Although, as a young side, we did get the occasional thrashing.

Yes, I still have that copy of The Record.

The Collingwood match at home in 1983, there were 31,000 plus, we kicked 11.16 to 14.4 and lost by 6 points. Should have won that. Beazza kicked 2.3, Edmond 1.4 and Ian Williams 3.2. WE kicked 4.6 in the last quarter to Collingwoods 1 goal.

I didn't miss a match in the 1980s, including the years of 80, 81 and 82:(

Webby
29-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I forgot to mention that in the final round of 1982, the defeat by Essendon remains our biggest in the history of the club. Quite the result to mull over during cricket season, that year!

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-01-2014, 10:43 PM
We're just in that period of the year now which I call 'limbo' season. It's the period in which one really just sits in anticipation - not really knowing what to expect.

It got me reflecting on the summer of 1982/83. A time when the Footscray Football Club appeared to be in more trouble than Burke & Wills! To paint a picture of the low expectations of that summer:

By the start of 1983:

Footscray had won just 5 of their past 46 games by the end of 1982.. Winning the 1982 wooden spoon.
In October 1982 Footscray sold 1980 Brownlow Medallist, club record goal kicker, captain and legend- Kelvin Templeton
Templeton had been the club's one shining light for the previous 4 years. It was simply shocking! It felt like the end!
3 time club B&F - Ian Dunstan followed him out the door (a path well worn by 6 time Dogs b&f Gary Dempsey)

In fact, Dunstan, Templeton and Dempsey (who had left a few years earlier for North) represented all of the past TEN Footscray B&F's!!!
1981 club captain - Geoff Jennings, was destroyed by chronic groin issues. He would see out his contract, contributing 5 more games
Terry Wheeler was finished by the end of 1982 after 155 games (managing just 2 more)
26 year old Templeton & 27 year olds Dunstan, Jennings & Wheeler represented over 500 games of experience to Footscray (KT & Jennings were my two favourite players..)

In the previous month, Footscray district local and club reject, Brian Wilson, had won the Brownlow Medal with Melbourne - aged 21.. Something else to feel great about..!
Wilson joined Footscray discards, Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan as the three most recent Brownlow Medallists
An unflattering stat is that in the 19 months between August 1981 and March 1983, ex-Footscray players won as many Brownlow Medals with other clubs as Footscray did games of football!!
It was an absolutely demoralising time for the club
Gary Dempsey also finished equal fourth to Wilson in that 1982 Brownlow count - just for good measure!

Dempsey, Wilson, Templeton, Round & Quinlan made up FIVE ex-Footscray Brownlow Medallists - running around in the VFL for OTHER clubs in Rd 1 of 1983. A record.
Quinlan was on his way to 116 goals in 1983 and Templeton kicked 8 in his second game for Melbourne.
Meanwhile, Round had followed up his 1981 Brownlow with a respectable 5th (one vote behind Dempsey) in the '82 count

This predicament trumps even Fitzroy's troubles of the mid 1990's. Fitzroy had Paul Roos, Richard Osborne, Alistair Lynch & Gary Pert running around for different clubs (Obviously a disastrous predicament!)
Footscray of 1983 had Gary Dempsey (7 time club b&f & Brownlow Medallist), Kelvin Templeton (dual Norm Smith Medallist, Brownlow Medallist & dual club b&f ), Barry Round (Brownlow Medallist and dual Swans b&f winner), Brian Wilson (reigning Brownlow Medallist) & Bernie Quinlan (dual Norm Smith Medallist & Brownlow Medallist) running around for opposition clubs.

It also had a LESS experienced side than the Fitzroy team of 1996...
So, going into round 2 of 1983, Footscray had won 5 of its past 46 games
It had 5 Brownlow Medallist ex-players plus an additional triple club best & fairest running around for other clubs

In addition, 2 of the club's most senior players (Jennings & Wheeler) would contribute only another 7 games between them due to injury...
Footscray were fielding a team which contained only 3 players with more than 50 games of league experience (and none over 100)
They were hosting a Carlton side who were reigning back to back premiers, had just won the night premiership and also thrashed 1982 runners up, Richmond, by 10 goals the previous week)

Then out of nowhere, the Dogs went on to beat Carlton. Going on a 4 game winning streak to sit 4th on the ladder at 4 & 1 by the completion of round 5. Thus bettering the 3 wins they'd had from the previous 31 games!
Footscray fielded unknowns Brian Royal, Peter Foster, Steve Wallis, Andrew Purser and Jim Sewell.. They were joined later by Michael McLean and youngsters Steve McPherson and 'Ricky' Kennedy. Good times!

Those 4 wins included the reigning back to back premiers, the previous year's grand finalists and the eventual 1983 premiers - Hawthorn.

It was out of nowhere and the feel good factor was incredible! Suddenly there seemed to be a future for the Dogs whereas a month earlier, it smelt like death! Although we obviously hit an off-field snag in 1989, our performances from that 1983 season on have been pretty good. I think '83 is often overlooked in our history. It was also our centenary year, from memory? There was clearly a bit of something special in the air. I remember the massive uplift that March '83 gave me... I wouldn't mind a similar pleasant surprise in March 2014!!

Does anyone recall from those days any administrative changes or anything? Key administrators who should get a nod?

Shane O'Sullivan deserved a lot of praise for the turnaround in the Club's fortunes.
His recruitment of players such as Beasley Purser Hardie Sewell Daniels and Williams breathed new life into the Club. O'Sullivan also was the prime mover in the signing of Malthouse as Coach who also had a big impact in making the Club a competitive unit.
The late Tony Capes also deserves praise. Capes was highly regarded by League officials and he played a key role in the respect the Bulldogs were held in during this period.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Great reading, thanks to all those who have contributed.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Great reading, thanks to all those who have contributed.

Fantastic reading WOOFERS. I was living in London for a year, 1982, during this period, so missed out on what was going on. Now I know why Mocca Dunstan isn't revered as much as I would have thought and what happened to Geoff Jennings etc

Twodogs
31-01-2014, 12:14 AM
You picked a good year to miss BIDS54. Although '82 had a few highlights. Beasley's 82(?) goals. A big win against Geelong. We did have 2 200 point totals kicked against us though.

Great thread Webby. I reckon I went to every one of those games you mention. All 5 wins and 41 losses. I remember celebrating a loss by less than a goal.

And you're about the club turning it around in 1983. I've long thought that.

Remi Moses
31-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Pretty sure the Pieman came before Shane's time.
Big highlight was beating Fitzroy( power team at the time) twice and knocking over Caaaarlton.
The Richmond Anzac Day ( shock horror there was Anzac Day before Essendon Collingwood)to be 10 goals up at quarter time and win by 2pts was incredible.

bornadog
31-01-2014, 09:38 AM
The Richmond Anzac Day ( shock horror there was Anzac Day before Essendon Collingwood)to be 10 goals up at quarter time and win by 2pts was incredible.

Remember the ANZAC Day match v Collingwood in 1987, at Vic Park, we got beaten by 4 points after missing too many shots. Tony McGuinness was on fire kicked 4.3 and had 26 disposals.

Ozza
31-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Good thread, very interesting OP.

1983 was the year I was born - and I don't think I'd previously read or heard much about the year, and didn't realise the significance in the club's history.

For those of my age group - most of us would have only been aware on 1984/85 in that period - due to it being the new Malthouse era - with 1985 in particular being a good year.

Remi Moses
31-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Remember the ANZAC Day match v Collingwood in 1987, at Vic Park, we got beaten by 4 points after missing too many shots. Tony McGuinness was on fire kicked 4.3 and had 26 disposals.

Further proof there was Anzac Day existence before 1995.
Gotta correct myself , as the best win in 83 was coming from 7 goals behind at 3/4 time v the Aints at Moorrabin .Ian Williams from the boundary 50 out .Went absolutely spare behind the goals

Webby
31-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Fantastic reading WOOFERS. I was living in London for a year, 1982, during this period, so missed out on what was going on. Now I know why Mocca Dunstan isn't revered as much as I would have thought and what happened to Geoff Jennings etc

Yeah, Dunstan moved to North, but was injured and couldn't crack a game in '83. North had a strong side and actually finished top that year. I vividly remember suffering through a 115 loss at Arden Street that year. I think it was Footscray's last ever game there. In a strange quirk, North themselves suffered a 150 point loss to Fitzroy that year. I think it was actually North's second biggest ever defeat... (Remembering we beat the Roys by 8 goals in '83!) Strange, not only for the fact that North lost by 25 goals in a minor premiership year, but also because they were perennial strugglers for their first 50 odd years in the VFL. They racked up a lazy 13 wooden spoons (1 every 3.6 years), for example, yet they saved their second heaviest ever defeat for a year in which they finished first!!

North bowed out of the finals in straight sets with two heavy losses. Dunstan didn't get a game for them until '84, by which time North were a rabble. They finished 2nd last (by percentage) and Dunstan only managed 7 or so games... And the following year we knocked them out of the finals. Dunstan was 30 years old and, with some kudos as a triple b&f, may well have been in our side, had he stayed! He might have even been chaired off the ground once he retired. But, as it was, the average North fan just thought he was a muppet.

Just one other thing, Ted Whitten junior did his knee during 1982 aged 26 and never played again. It was remiss of me not to mention that, because (if you can forget his old man for a moment), Ted Whitten junior was a very, very handy footballer. Very clean and very smart. The loss of Ted jnr was yet another reason to feel very, very flat by the end of 1982!

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Webby said
Yeah, Dunstan moved to North, but was injured and couldn't crack a game in '83. North had a strong side and actually finished top that year. I vividly remember suffering through a 115 loss at Arden Street that year. I think it was Footscray's last ever game there.

We played our last game there in 1984 and won by 63 points. Chops Rickman kicked a lazy 7 on Keith Greig.

Just one other thing, Ted Whitten junior did his knee during 1982 aged 26 and never played again. It was remiss of me not to mention that, because (if you can forget his old man for a moment), Ted Whitten junior was a very, very handy footballer. Very clean and very smart. The loss of Ted jnr was yet another reason to feel very, very flat by the end of 1982!

Remember how Templeton would start leading ass soon as Jr got the ball and he'd hit him on the chest lace out? Beautiful to watch.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Dunstan moved to North, but was injured and couldn't crack a game in '83. North had a strong side and actually finished top that year. I vividly remember suffering through a 115 loss at Arden Street that year. I think it was Footscray's last ever game there. In a strange quirk, North themselves suffered a 150 point loss to Fitzroy that year. I think it was actually North's second biggest ever defeat... (Remembering we beat the Roys by 8 goals in '83!) Strange, not only for the fact that North lost by 25 goals in a minor premiership year, but also because they were perennial strugglers for their first 50 odd years in the VFL. They racked up a lazy 13 wooden spoons (1 every 3.6 years), for example, yet they saved their second heaviest ever defeat for a year in which they finished first!!

North bowed out of the finals in straight sets with two heavy losses. Dunstan didn't get a game for them until '84, by which time North were a rabble. They finished 2nd last (by percentage) and Dunstan only managed 7 or so games... And the following year we knocked them out of the finals. Dunstan was 30 years old and, with some kudos as a triple b&f, may well have been in our side, had he stayed! He might have even been chaired off the ground once he retired. But, as it was, the average North fan just thought he was a muppet.

Wow Webby, this puts a lot in perspective for me. Dunstan was outstanding for us, yet it seems the end to his career was so ignominious. I haven't heard of him since.
Ted jnr was the best pass I have ever seen, a beautiful judge of distance and accuracy with his kicks. He fed Templeton. He was even a better pass than Doug Hawkins. Thanks for the perceptions!:)

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
If Ted jr played now hhis foot skills would make him elite.

strebla
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I love this thread 83 was when I first started following the doggies as a 15 year old.I remember all my mates laughing at me but really when you swap clubs for football reasons and not for flags win lose or draw you are ahead. I have many friend who follow the "stronger" clubs who no longer have a passion for the game simply because their heart is not in it while i remain as passionate as i was when i first screamed BEAZZA as i 15 year old child.

ratsmac
02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
^^Where is the like button ^^

Torpedo
02-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Ted jnr was the best pass I have ever seen, a beautiful judge of distance and accuracy with his kicks. He fed Templeton. He was even a better pass than Doug Hawkins. Thanks for the perceptions!:)
Outside of that dogs combination,I would rate Billy Goggin and Barry Cable stab passing to Doug Wade slightly higher. Wade was a champion (great lead, mark and kick) and to then get two gun centremen in one footballing career, is probably without parallel.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Outside of that dogs combination,I would rate Billy Goggin and Barry Cable stab passing to Doug Wade slightly higher. Wade was a champion (great lead, mark and kick) and to then get two gun centremen in one footballing career, is probably without parallel.

Interesting that Cable and Goggin were both passing to Wade but in different teams.
Loved the stab pass and I could do it too, needed the head over the ball and at speed it would come out like a bullet.

Twodogs
02-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Interesting that Cable and Goggin were both passing to Wade but in different teams.
Loved the stab pass and I could do it too, needed the head over the ball and at speed it would come out like a bullet.

Finally someone who understands the mechanics of how to kick a football! Exactly, head over the ball at the point of impact with your foot. It's not that hard.

Are you a left foot kick BIDS54?