PDA

View Full Version : Your expectatons / pass mark for first 8 weeks

Ghost Dog
29-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Coming out of the blocks, the first 8 weeks, what do you want to see? What are your expecations of the team?

Based on the following 2013 results

Score from turnover points differential
-10.2 (15th )

Scoring % per inside 50
45.6% (18th )

Marks inside 50
10.1 Equal 18th

I will be very disappointed if Liam Jones cannot start assisting us in the inside 50 area.
I'll be disappointed if Crameri can't have an immediate impact because it cost us dearly to get him down here.
I'll be disapointed if Shaun Higgins can't have a good NAB campaign, then cement his spot in the first 8 weeks with some good form.
We have Melbourne, Adelaide, GWS before the bye in round 9, and it would be a it disappointing if we can't account for each of those or get very close, plus an upset. I think we are ready to take a few scalps around the middle of the ladder, or get very close to it.

It would be my expectation we start to hit targets more effectively, and show signs of becoming a 'skilled' team once again, because that's what people pay to see, not bums up in a contested pack. Accuracy and poise are two things I would like to start and see, especially out of the back.

What are woofers expectations for the first 8 weeks?

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 08:09 AM
That we should have at least 4 wins (2 of them being against Melb & GWS)

Bulldog Joe
29-01-2014, 09:25 AM
I am quietly optimistic about the season ahead.

Looking at the first 8 rounds

We start with West Coast in Perth. We will not be favourite but it is winnable.

Round 2 is North but we come off the Perth trip, which is like having a 6 day break, and North have an 8 day turnaround. It will be difficult to win this game.

Round 3 Richmond on Saturday on a 6 day break with Richmond having 9 day recovery from a Thursday game. Odds against us in this.

Round 4 Giants in Canberra with a 7 day break against their 6 day break. Should win (MUST WIN)

Round 5 Carlton at Etihad with both teams coming off 8 day break. Confident we can get over them.

Round 6 Adelaide at Etihad with both teams on 7 day turnaround. Confident we can win.

Round 7 Essendon at Etihad with a 6 day break against 8 for them. Again no favours for us here and it will depend on how they come up, but you would probably concede difficult for us to win this.

Round 8 Melbourne at the G. Both teams off 7 days. We should win. (MUST WIN)

So I see us with 4 or 5 wins which would be a reasonable start.

G-Mo77
29-01-2014, 10:07 AM
I see us on 3 wins, we may pinch another and make it 4. I guess it depends who you are if it's a pass or not, I still believe we are on the lower end of a rebuild and I'd be wrapped with 4 or more wins. I'm more focussed on how we play, wins though are great don't get me wrong. :)

I honestly don't see us winning more than last year. More competitive over the whole season but W/L I think will be similar.

Ozza
29-01-2014, 10:12 AM
I'd like to see us run all three sides very close in the first 3 rounds - hopefully we can pinch one of them. West Coast could well be rubbish this season, its a hard task in Perth - but they may be without Naitanui and Wellingham.

Giants and Dees are obviously must wins.

Carlton and Essendon are interesting propositions. You can make a case for either team to be top 4, and you could also suggest either could miss finals.

3 wins from the first 8 would probably be a pass.
4 wins a good result.
5 wins, terrific.

Go_Dogs
29-01-2014, 11:34 AM
It's interesting, last year I don't think anyone expected us to come out and belt Brisbane in Rd 1, and then once we did, I think most were pretty disappointed with how we went from that point until late in the season.

If we can muster 4 wins, I think that would be a great result. Whilst the draw is tough, 4 wins in the first 8 would be enough to put us in the mix to push for a spot in the 8.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Rd 1: West Coast (A)
Eagles with a new coach and away from home is gonna be a tough assignment. Our ball use will need to be up to the standard it was in the second half of last season to be a chance on a huge deck. Would love to tip a win but if you were a betting man you'd probably pick the Eagles in a close one.

Rd 2: North (H)
I'm tipping North to finish just outside the top 4 this year so it's going to be a very tough ask. North getting an extra two days break plus travel should see them run out the game better. Having said that, our guys are looking super fit and no one can question their courage to remain competitive. North by 4-5 goals.

Rd 3: Richmond (H)
I honestly don't think Richmond will improve all that much from last season, but once again coming off a few days longer break than us after a tough two opening rounds will make things difficult. However it's only early in the season and I believe if we can beat them in the contest we're a real shot. Richmond by 2-3 goals.

Rd 4: GWS (A)
Must win. The Giants will improve this season (they can't get any worse) but our guys are much further ahead and are improving quicker. Could be a bit of a scrap so I'm tipping the Dogs by 6-7 goals.

Rd 5: Carlton (H)
Don't rate Carlton. They can play "pretty" football when they're flying but really get exposed in the hard contest: our greatest strength. Been a bit of a bunny for us over the last few years so I'll go with the Dogs by 3-4 goals.

Rd 6: Adelaide (H)
Will be interesting to see which Adelaide shows up this season and I think they'll miss Van Berlo more than you'd think. Should be a cracker game and if we can shut down Dangerfield we'll go a long way to winning. Dogs in a close one only because it's at home.

Rd 7: Essendon (H)
Another side I don't see improving greatly on previous seasons. Winnable game if we come out all guns blazing but you'd think Essendon will get the job done off a longer break. Bombers by 3-4 goals.

Rd 8: Melbourne (A)
Must win. They'll be more competitive under Paul Roos and a new-look midfield but still have a long way to go. Good opportunity to finish off the first part of the season well. Dogs by 5-6 goals.

So in summary, my main expectation is that we will be far more consistent across all areas of the game. Last year when we started moving the ball very well our team defence dropped off a little, and this is something we need to improve. If we can successfully do that, while keeping up the contested work and ball movement, I can see us winning at least 4 games, possibly 5.

hotdog
29-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Are the breaks in between games really such a factor so early in the season? Sure as the season progresses and injuries become more prevalent maybe but I would not think they would be too big an issue rounds 1-5.

Bulldog Joe
29-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Are the breaks in between games really such a factor so early in the season? Sure as the season progresses and injuries become more prevalent maybe but I would not think they would be too big an issue rounds 1-5.

Recovery time is very important and particularly when compared to your opposition. Shortened breaks can also lead to more soft tissue problems.

To manage the situation you probably need to use more players so rounds 1 to 3 could see a bit of rotation.

doggies ftw
30-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Surely seeing as we have to travel to perth round 1 we should play in the first week of round 1? Even worse that we have to back it up with a 2 day shorter break than North, ridiculous.

G-Mo77
30-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Surely seeing as we have to travel to perth round 1 we should play in the first week of round 1? Even worse that we have to back it up with a 2 day shorter break than North, ridiculous.

That's why the club leaders went to America to study on equalisation. The outcome they came up with was simple, put the smaller clubs in the bad slots of the fixture and let the rest of them pick out the eyes.

Our fixture it's appaling.

Mofra
30-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm worried about he Melbourne game.
We beat them last year when we were good, we lost when we weren't, and they've added quite a bit of talent to their list. I think they will improve and surprise.

bornadog
30-01-2014, 04:31 PM
So in summary, my main expectation is that we will be far more consistent across all areas of the game. Last year when we started moving the ball very well our team defence dropped off a little, and this is something we need to improve. If we can successfully do that, while keeping up the contested work and ball movement, I can see us winning at least 4 games, possibly 5.

I agree with your assessment.

The Richmond game will be a yardstick as they have absolutely belted us the last three games we played them. We never ever looked like winning, so we need to show we have improved.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-01-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm worried about he Melbourne game.
We beat them last year when we were good, we lost when we weren't, and they've added quite a bit of talent to their list. I think they will improve and surprise.

I agree. I think Melbourne has huge scope for improvement because:
---the improvement under Roos; they were underperforming previously, divided and without leadership and he will have them unified;
---their midfield improvement with recent recruits, not least of which is Cross and improvement in Toumpas and Viney;
---of their forward power, Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Watts.

Ghost Dog
30-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I agree. I think Melbourne has huge scope for improvement because:
---the improvement under Roos; they were underperforming previously, divided and without leadership and he will have them unified;
---their midfield improvement with recent recruits, not least of which is Cross and improvement in Toumpas and Viney;
---of their forward power, Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Watts.

Well done Nathan Jones on the captaincy. He is, without a doubt, the best choice in that current lineup: multiple times I watched 'Dees' games and thought the AFL should create a special award for this guy. Something along the lines of " Player most successful in swimming against a horrible tide of patheticism."
If not for him, and Jeremy Howe's acrobatics, anyone in a Demon's jumper was a waste of screen time last season.

I'm not worried about this game, and think we will smash them. Besides Jones, they lack a decent tagger, and Griff will towel them up ( fingers crossed ).