PDA

View Full Version : Your one favourite Day at the Footy.

bornadog
29-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Finals are always great, but thinking of the home and away season, can you think of the one favourite day at the footy, and why?

I always enjoy the games where we come from behind and snatch a victory.

Thinking about it, one of my favourites is the Collingwood match where Allen passed a kick across the ground and Beasley snatched it and put us in front in the dying minutes.

9k5rTNZWqZA

We never really looked like winning this game and to snatch it by 5 points was such a thrill.

Twodogs
29-01-2014, 02:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
That was a great day.

The win over Carlton at Optus in 2000 was pretty special for a lot of reasons. We won by less than a goal with a dodgy free kick right in front, we had 4 or 5 top liners missing with injury, Carlton had won 11 or 12 on the trot and thought they'd just waltz past us on the way to playing undefeated Essendon the next week.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Most recently it's hard to go past our win against St Kilda last season. Our first win since starting off with such promise against the Lions in Round 1 and our first win against the Saints in 5 years. Seeing guys like Boyd, Murph and Griffen celebrating the win you could tell it meant as much to them as it did the supporters after those preliminary finals. Very small crowd but the atmosphere was electric.

Eastdog
29-01-2014, 05:45 PM
That's a tough one. I will go for my first ever game as a Bulldogs member which was Round 1 2013 against the Brisbane Lions. The way we played that day was excellent winning by 68 points.

always right
29-01-2014, 06:43 PM
How could anyone go past that final against Collingwood? The sight of pie supporters streaming out of the stands midway through the last quarter is still vivid in my mind.

Also loved that match against Brisbane when Robbo took "one-handed mark of the year? Recently watched that back on DVD......non-stop highlights.

ReLoad
29-01-2014, 06:45 PM
There is quite a few that deserve a mention, so ill pick one as not to steal anyones thunder.

Background; my wife and 2 sons barrack for hawthorn.

Saturday the 4th of July 2009 at about 7pm it began. At the end of the day we beat the Dawks by 88 Points. after being 84 points up at half time, to smash the reigning premiers like that was clinical and ruthless. If Aker had have kicked straight we would have won by 120 points.

Bulldog4life
29-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Would have to be for me Teddy's last game against the Hawks in 1970. We won by 3 points in shocking conditions. Ted's speech at 3/4 time is legendary. I was close to the action as Ted was carried off the ground at the end of the game. Definitely my favourite home and away game.

azabob
29-01-2014, 07:56 PM
How could anyone go past that final against Collingwood? The sight of pie supporters streaming out of the stands midway through the last quarter is still vivid in my mind.

Because the OP indicated he didn't want finals nominations :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Also loved that match against Brisbane when Robbo took "one-handed mark of the year? Recently watched that back on DVD......non-stop highlights.

Must've been our biggest crowd ever - 84,000.
The Brisbane game was Johnno's 250th - a roller coaster of a game. His 300th was pretty good too against Adelaide.
The 1992 final against St Kilda at Waverley is a favourite of mine. Remember Frosty?

always right
29-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Because the OP indicated he didn't want finals nominations :)

Yeah....realised after I typed, so added the Brisbane match.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Tough call, there's been many.

Those two games v Geelong at Kardinia Park when we came from behind in the 90's was amazing.

The 08 R3 game (I think it was) v St. Kilda when we were behind and then absolutely blitzed them was extremely enjoyable. Griff and Cooney were on fire.

I also liked the 2006 game v Adelaide at the MCG when we sealed a finals berth. They were on top of the ladder from memory but we found a way to win.

comrade
29-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Johnno putting on a show in the last qtr of his 300th to seal a great win against Adelaide was one of my great days.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 11:19 PM
EJ's lap at the State of Origin match. I close my eyes and I can still hear the noise of the grass under the tyres on a MCG that couldn't have been more silent if it was completely empty, then the great man started fist-pumping and that silence became an instant noise tsunami. :D Alongside the birth of my kids, one of the best days of my life.

Bulldogs games? As a kid: Steve a Wallis’ last game, or Dougie's. As an adult: 2009 prelim. Until those last minutes, it was heaven.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Doug's games record game breaker with Teddy. Awesome day out Western Oval.

GVGjr
29-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Johnno putting on a show in the last qtr of his 300th to seal a great win against Adelaide was one of my great days.

Ditto for me. He carried us across the line that day. Morris played his first game that day didn't he?

Greystache
29-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Ditto for me. He carried us across the line that day. Morris played his first game that day didn't he?

I don't think so, Johno's 300th was round 1 2008, Morris was All Australian that year. He debuted in 2005.

always right
30-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Morris played his first game against Adelaide at Etihad and lined up on Andrew McLeod at various times. We won with Darcy kicking about four goals up forward I think.

Happy Days
30-01-2014, 01:46 AM
Morris played his first game against Adelaide at Etihad and lined up on Andrew McLeod at various times. We won with Darcy kicking about four goals up forward I think.

6 - took to throwing his mouthguard about 30 metres away before each shot this game too.

always right
30-01-2014, 12:41 PM
6 - took to throwing his mouthguard about 30 metres away before each shot this game too.

I remember one of the goals came from a free kick for one of the greatest dive's ever seen. Reckon Darcy would even be embarrassed watching it back.

By memory it was also Brad Murphy's first game wasn't it?

mighty_west
30-01-2014, 12:48 PM
As a youngin' one of my favourite days was the clash against Geelong at Whitten Oval 1982 with Simon Beasley kicking 12 that day, was just a brilliant day standing on a flank down the Barkly street end.

soupman
30-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I remember one of the goals came from a free kick for one of the greatest dive's ever seen. Reckon Darcy would even be embarrassed watching it back.

By memory it was also Brad Murphy's first game wasn't it?

Brad Murphy debuted against Port in Darwin I'm pretty sure. Got heaps of touches, kicked about 3 goals and I was pretty excited we had unearthed a gem. That didn't turn out so well.

I'm pretty sure the Adelaide game only featured Morris as a debutant, and a very young Ryan Griffen.

Twodogs
30-01-2014, 05:11 PM
As a youngin' one of my favourite days was the clash against Geelong at Whitten Oval 1982 with Simon Beasley kicking 12 that day, was just a brilliant day standing on a flank down the Barkly street end.

It was about 35 C that day too. After the game the guy standing next to me said "This morning I couldn't decide between one last day at the beach or the footy. Man I'm glad I came to the footy"

Beaza was smoking hot that day. Was it 6 in the last quarter?

bornadog
30-01-2014, 05:53 PM
It was about 35 C that day too. After the game the guy standing next to me said "This morning I couldn't decide between one last day at the beach or the footy. Man I'm glad I came to the footy"

Beaza was smoking hot that day. Was it 6 in the last quarter?

Beaza kicked 12 goals 4 that day and you are probably right about 6 in the last. At three quarter time there was only 7 points in it and then we kicked 10 in the last:eek: to win by 42 points. We only won 3 that year.

LostDoggy
30-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Have to agree with always right! I still remember my excitement growing with each quarter, to the point that after the game I thought I should ask the A f l for a refund cos I wasn't sitting in my seat much - too busy jumping up and down and screaming happily. This was also a sweet win because hubby (a Collingwood supporter) who was also at the game but not sitting with me, cruised past at half time, still confident they would win.....mouthing off a little! Boy was I smug!!!!

The bulldog tragician
30-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Beating the Bombres to ensure they didn't go through 2000 undefeated was pure joy. The feeling when Chris Grant slotted the goal to put us in front with a minute or so to go is as close as I've got to the exhilaration that other lucky fans must experience when they win a flag.

Dogs fans who didn't know each other hugged and whooped. And could it have happened against a more loathed opponent?

Go_Dogs
30-01-2014, 11:45 PM
A personal favourite of mine was the Round 21 game v Geelong at Etihad.

Made the trip over from Adelaide and was staying a mates place (who had returned to Adelaide for the weekend) and went along to the game solo. It was a great game, a few breakout performances and really filled me with hope for the impending finals campaign.

Twodogs
31-01-2014, 12:25 AM
The last game we played at Arden street. We won by a lazy 63 points and Chops Rickman kicked 7 goals.