PDA

View Full Version : What were Eade and Clayton thinking?

LostDoggy
23-01-2007, 12:48 PM
During the draft can anyone justify why we would select Everitt over Sellars?

We have a brief window to really challenge for the flag and as far as I can tell everyone of the players we drafted offer nothing for us in the 2007 season and in fact expose our lack of depth further in comparison to how our playing depth was tested last season.

My mate who follows the junior competitons very closely believes that we have made an error by not selecting Sellars with our first picks and that we also made a big mistake by not selecting Will Schofield with our second pick. Sellars was more than capable of playing some senior football in 2007 whereas Everitt is very unlikely to. Sellars could play as a CHB, CHF or even a FP and in time might develop into a ruckman or at worst a relfief ruckman which is something we are lacking. At 195cm and about 90kg he is almost ready for the grind.
Schofield is also 195cm and 84kg and is a real athletic type with strong running ability and would have settled into our team quickly.

Both of these players would have addressed our lack of genuine KPP. We currently have the right numbers of KPP but the question remains on the quality.

Go_Dogs
23-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I think they were thinking, Wight, Williams, McDougall and Everitt. Harris is still young and can hold down a position, Morris and Hargrave are also capable of playing the taller roles in times of need. We also have Pask and M.West on the rookie list, both of whom are also capable of playing the KP role, and even O'Shea as well, who could well develop into a KP player.

Our list is developing to a T. We have a great group of players in the 23-26 age bracket, who can fill the shoes of our older stars, and a fantastic, exciting group of young kids who are coming through. Basically, our list appears to be one of the most well balanced lists going around, as we won't have a big down-period once Grant, West etc retire. I'm personally very happy with the way they are running things, and given our game plan and the direction the game seems to be heading in, they are doing good things.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Schofield is an athletic player but I wouldn't bother using him as an example. Decent player but far from outstanding IMO.

Sellar/Everitt is an interesting one, but I don't think it's hard to identify the reasons we went with Everitt over Sellar.

For one; we lack a genuine CHB. Everitt is earmarked as a CHB.
Number two; the CHB's of this era are running and athletic types in the Cornes mould. Everitt is precisely this description.
Number three; skills. You need them in every position you play and you need to be versatile. Two of which Everitt is, and Sellar isn't.

Sellar is supposedly lacking in pace and an in-betwen ruckmen/forward. Considering we don't need anymore of those half/half types and the fact that players need to be versatile and quick these days, plus our desire for a CHB, Everitt is a logical option.

Time will tell, but I think they assessed the situation well.

The question I think is interesting is the fact that we picked up 3 Aboriginal boys (4 including Harbow as a Rookie) yet we didn't take a Ruckmen to which we probably should have. It's not as though we're in dire need of pacy midfielders/forwards with good skills. I'm not against this decision, but I think it's an interesting topic. It seems to be a case of Eade wanting to strengthen the strengths of pace, rather than turn the focus to the Ruck Stocks where - in his opinion I take it - is a dying cause. I don't agree though. A Dean Cox in our side would prove to be a massive bonus.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2007, 04:42 PM
We currently have the right numbers of KPP but the question remains on the quality.

Darcy, Grant, Harris, Street, Minson are all established KPP's.

Williams, McDougall, Wight, Skipper are the next group that have shown a bit of ability but are yet to grab the opportunity with both hands. Wight looks pretty close to doing so but is still a bit light. McDougall has been training well from all reports so perhaps we've found a CHF in him. Williams won't be ready for 07, but he certainly has potential to be a good player.

West, Tiller, Everitt, O'Shea & Pask are developing. No guarantees, but it's only early days.

Whilst we don't have a star studded KPP Stock like Fremantle or St. Kilda, we have potential to be better then average. McDougall, Wight & Williams are possibles to have an effect in the next 2 years whilst they'll all still be around, including Harris & Minson, by the time Everitt is moving into his early 20s.

Darcy, Grant, Harris, Minson, Wight & one of Street/McDougall seems a decent list for now and would be able to hold their own I think.

LostDoggy
24-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Schofield is an athletic player but I wouldn't bother using him as an example. Decent player but far from outstanding IMO.

Schofield would have provided more options than Stack in the short term. I agree he is no champ but he is a KP option.

Sellar/Everitt is an interesting one, but I don't think it's hard to identify the reasons we went with Everitt over Sellar.

For one; we lack a genuine CHB. Everitt is earmarked as a CHB.
Number two; the CHB's of this era are running and athletic types in the Cornes mould. Everitt is precisely this description.
Number three; skills. You need them in every position you play and you need to be versatile. Two of which Everitt is, and Sellar isn't.

Sellar is supposedly lacking in pace and an in-betwen ruckmen/forward. Considering we don't need anymore of those half/half types and the fact that players need to be versatile and quick these days, plus our desire for a CHB, Everitt is a logical option.

Time will tell, but I think they assessed the situation well.

Sellars has played as a CHB during the U18 carnival and is a genuine prospect. Skills and pace count and Everitt meets that criteria easily but I think a good back-up ruckman/KPP that is capable of playing in 2007 would have fitted our needs better over the next 2 seasons.

The question I think is interesting is the fact that we picked up 3 Aboriginal boys (4 including Harbow as a Rookie) yet we didn't take a Ruckmen to which we probably should have. It's not as though we're in dire need of pacy midfielders/forwards with good skills. I'm not against this decision, but I think it's an interesting topic. It seems to be a case of Eade wanting to strengthen the strengths of pace, rather than turn the focus to the Ruck Stocks where - in his opinion I take it - is a dying cause. I don't agree though. A Dean Cox in our side would prove to be a massive bonus.

All the guys we drafted are long term prospect and I think a more balanced approach would have provided us with more options. It's great to have Hughes, Harbrow and Pask on the rookie list because I think they are all capable of playing senior football if needed in 2007.

By the way thank you for your detailed response. :)

MrMahatma
22-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Bump...

Anyone still wish we'd taken Sellar? Only a year in so nothing conclusive, but I think once again Clayton has made a good call. Everitt looks to be a gun.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Sellar spent the majority of the year playing Glenelg 2's. Played in the 1's final last week, was pretty much unsighted and poor - injured his groin and his season is over.

I'm very happy with how Everitt has gone this year, especially in comparison to Sellar.

Bulldog Revolution
23-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Sellar spent the majority of the year playing Glenelg 2's. Played in the 1's final last week, was pretty much unsighted and poor - injured his groin and his season is over.

I'm very happy with how Everitt has gone this year, especially in comparison to Sellar.

I thought it was very interesting during the year that the crows gave Sellar a fortnight off playing games and training with the team to solely focus on improving his running

Hopefully the early success will not go to Everitts head

Go_Dogs
23-09-2007, 09:09 AM
I thought it was very interesting during the year that the crows gave Sellar a fortnight off playing games and training with the team to solely focus on improving his running

Hopefully the early success will not go to Everitts head

Yeah, Sellar having played Volleyball (?) hadn't really ever done a proper pre-season before, and lacked any real fitness that you need to match it with well trained athletes. I'm sure that is why Craigy drafted him too - he's got a great physical base to become a very good power forward, but as far as his athletic ability and mentality, that is something Craig can build on/turn around.

I doubt Everitt will let being a good player in a bottom 4. under performing side get to his head. Let's hope not anyone. Hopefully the whole team is aware they have achieved nothing, and they have a long way to go.

Bulldog Revolution
26-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I doubt Everitt will let being a good player in a bottom 4. under performing side get to his head. Let's hope not anyone. Hopefully the whole team is aware they have achieved nothing, and they have a long way to go.

I hope so too, - but his brother has never really done much in terms of team success and it seems to have gone plenty to his head over the years

Topdog
28-09-2007, 06:51 PM
and his brother seems to be plenty good too.