PDA

View Full Version : The 50-100 game players

Go_Dogs
30-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Macca has long advocated that in the modern game players don't become consistent, AFL performers until they have spent some time in the system and often the 50 game mark is deemed the point where players have reached the maturity required.

Having a quick look over our list, we have quite a number of players who are now falling into that bracket and those who will over the course of this season too.

1. Grant - 58 games - injury
2. Wallis - 43 games
3. Dahlhaus - 50 games
4. Crameri - 57 games
5. Wood - 47 games
6. Williams - 78 games
7. Jones - 56 games
8. Libba - 55 games
9. Roughead - 57 games

Out of the above group, Libba has already seemingly reached the point where he is a consistent performer, but still has a couple of levels to get to as his body, fitness and craft continues to improve.

Crameri appears to be a reasonably consistent performer already, having been a consistent goal kicker at Essendon, and whilst he may take a little time to adjust to playing the Bulldogs way, he should be a good addition and capable of blossoming in 2014.

Grant, Wood and Williams are all players that have been around for a while now but due to injury and form have not been able to string together consistent seasons of football over the past couple of years.

Grant is behind the 8-ball a bit now with his injury, but (fingers crossed) will be a player who can get on the park and continue on from his late 2013 season during the middle part of this season.

I'm still pretty confident on Wood becoming a solid player, but query where is best position ultimately is, and whether he can improve quickly enough to ensure he is named in the team sheet each week. He adds something a bit different to our other players.

Williams as always is a great unknown. We know he's a big, strong player but concerns over his body holding up and him having some luck mean we can't bank on him.

Of the others, Wallis had a great finish to the season and is such a good kid I'm confident he can take that next step. Roughead is in the same boat, as a player who has shown quite a bit in a changed role and should become a high level, consistent performer across this season.

Dahlhaus had a few quieter weeks during 2013, but looks another who is ready to really step it up and spend more minutes in the midfield. I'm hopeful he can take that next step and become a consistent performer who offers us some pace and defensive pressure to go with his goal scoring further up field.

Jones has also struggled for consistency, but as has been often mentioned, the addition of Crameri and Campbell should help him find a lesser opponent and whilst his fitness to be a consistent mover further up field to create a target remains a concern, with his pace and leap he can create headaches for opposition coaches as a deeper target.

Stevens, Smith and Dickson are all on the 30 game mark, but have the bodies and ability to also step up and be more consistent contributors too.

I'm going to be looking for all of the above guys to drive our improvement this year and become the backbone of our young side - guys who can lead their younger team mates and really take the brunt of the workload.

It looks good list wise, having a number of players in this group, all coming through together, and many with the talent and ability to become high quality AFL players.

Go Dogs!

Mofra
30-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm a little worried about Wood become an Everitt - jack of all trades, master of none.
I originally pegged him as a rebounding defender, but while he has done some excellent shut-down roles (Stevie J was a big scalp) and is a super-athlete, he just doesn't seem to find enough of the ball to be called a legitimate rebounder.

We all know Williams' issues, jus a sad fact of life.

Every other player on that list is in the best 22 and arguably, with the addition of Minson Griffen & Murphy, the core of the team (god I hope Morris doesn't start hitting the cliff this season).

DragzLS1
30-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Wood us just soo explosive and could be such a good rebounder, he just doesnt know how to utilise it therefore others will start pushing for his spot if he doesn't improve with his decision making this season (by decision making not only with ball in hand, but when to go, where to spread ect).

Dahlhaus is going to be the next big thing this season, just wait and see ;)

Maddog37
30-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Libba is special. Top 5 in league special. There, I've said it!!!

Twodogs
31-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Thinking about it, that's a pretty decent first fifty games for the club by Libba.

lemmon
31-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Thinking about it, that's a pretty decent first fifty games for the club by Libba.

Seem to recall some stats floating around last year and his first 50 odd games were statistically as good as anyone going around. Equal first with mature aged Barlow

Mofra
31-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Interesting - a few player managers (and a few here IIRC) mentioned they thought Libba was the more promising junior compared to Wallis.
It's amazing how quickly he's emerged as an elite contested mid

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2014, 02:37 AM
Interesting - a few player managers (and a few here IIRC) mentioned they thought Libba was the more promising junior compared to Wallis.

I remember reading about this too.

Libba's first 50 odd games have been remarkable. He could become a genuine great of the game if he keeps improving and if he's able to be part of team success. The latter shouldn't matter in terms of how an individual is viewed post career, but unfortunately, it is. As great as Grant/Johnson/West and co were, they don't get the kudos of even some 'lesser' likes purely because they didn't play in a premiership. That annoys me, but it's the way it is. Hopefully Libba won't have to worry about that.

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 07:58 PM
I remember reading about this too.

Libba's first 50 odd games have been remarkable. He could become a genuine great of the game if he keeps improving and if he's able to be part of team success. The latter shouldn't matter in terms of how an individual is viewed post career, but unfortunately, it is. As great as Grant/Johnson/West and co were, they don't get the kudos of even some 'lesser' likes purely because they didn't play in a premiership. That annoys me, but it's the way it is. Hopefully Libba won't have to worry about that.

Im of the school of thought that rates Premiership players higher. I understand that it's not fair on great players who never got the chance but the Grand Final stage is where players go from great to truly great and a few like Hart and Brereton become legends.

Having said that I'd have loved to have seen Chris Grant tear a Grand Final apart. Or Doug Hawkins. He was superb in big games was Doug.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Libba had the year, especially in the early year voting, that introduced him to the umpires for voting for him. I can't recall a father/son Brownlow, and I think it's a decent chance. He's hard, doesn't do stupid acts or give aggressive fees away, takes the hits and is a machine. He doesn't seem to chat too much or backchat the vote givers, so on the rate of improvement the next 250 games will be tantamount to when we were talking about this blonde haired flanker called Scott West we were all told to watch. And don't start me on Westy not winning the medal.

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Nope. Never been a father son Brownlow. combination but there will be soon I reckon. Young Talia being in a Grandad/Grandson Bulldog Premiership club would be better.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Nope. Never been a father son Brownlow. combination but there will be soon I reckon. Young Talia being in a Grandad/Grandson Bulldog Premiership club would be better.
Can we have both, or would be asking for too much?

Go_Dogs
02-02-2014, 01:06 AM

I'm happy to say I thought Libba was the standout based on the game they both played at Norwood Oval in the U/18's - but I think Wally is still a very good chance to become a highly decorated player in his own right.

Libba just has that quality around the packs which has made him stand out to a more significant level, in quicker fashion.

I'm so happy we have them both, and that both will have long careers for our Club. We are very lucky.