PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Year Blues - what to expect from the 2012 draft group?

westdog54
30-01-2014, 06:05 PM
The early indications are that the 2012 draft group is one of the best to come through the club as a collective for quite some time, at least since the 'Class of 99'.

Whilst most of us were more than impressed with what was displayed by Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Hunter, as well as the promise that Prudden seems to show. The question is, what is the pass mark for these guys for the year to come?

Go_Dogs
30-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I think certain players will have different pass marks.

For Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat and Hunter all should be aiming to play 15+ games of football and cementing themselves as first choice, best 22 players.

For Prudden, I think breaking into the senior side would be a great achievement, but given his lack of senior footy last year, I'd be happy for him to continue to develop his craft at VFL senior level and demonstrate he can play consistent senior footy.

bulldogtragic
30-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Stringer playing most of the year and learning consistency would be great by me.
Hrovat and Hunter could be competing for the same spot?
I'd love to see what Prudden can do.
As Macrae's growth rate he might be competing with Will! I'd like to see some games, but more importantly that the clubs medical wiz's are helping him put on enough weight for the extra size, while keeping mobility. I think it's Macrae to watch next year from the batch.

GVGjr
31-01-2014, 01:52 AM
We need them all to build on their terrific first seasons. We don't need them to play all games or to be a star player but if they played 12 games last season them another 12 or 14 this season would be great for them and the club.

Ideally we start to see a real development of their skills in 2014 and if that happens then that is the pass mark.

Maddog37
31-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I would say that an extra 4-5 games over and above what each player played last year would be ideal and would make us a better(classier) side.

Mofra
31-01-2014, 10:27 AM
I still think Macrae will be the best of the lot (marginally in front of Stringer) but both may need to be held back a little this year - Macrae has added height & weight and could take time to learn how to use his frame to best advantage, Stringer is only now completing his first pre-season so is nowhere near where he needs to be in terms of full fitness - both guys at around 191cm will take a bit longer than Hunter/Hrovat types.

lemmon
31-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Would be happy with 12-14 games from Hunter, Hrovat and Stringer. Macrae is just about first 22 already so you'd like to see him build on last year, not necessarily in his stats but game sense. He's played a fair bit of footy now so you'd hope for improvement in how he uses the ball and how damaging he is with it.

Would be fairly pleased with a full year of VFL footy from Prudden, just so we know what we have on our hands more than anything

The Bulldogs Bite
31-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I still think Macrae will be the best of the lot (marginally in front of Stringer) but both may need to be held back a little this year - Macrae has added height & weight and could take time to learn how to use his frame to best advantage, Stringer is only now completing his first pre-season so is nowhere near where he needs to be in terms of full fitness - both guys at around 191cm will take a bit longer than Hunter/Hrovat types.

Agree with this.

Macrae surprised last season but I think Hrovat and Hunter will catch up very quickly, if they both haven't already, given the physical changes. Stringer will likely and understandably take the longest, so we'll need to be patient for his first 3 years.

I think Hunter and Hrovat will be the standouts in year 2. Hunter has had a big pre-season and isn't far off his ideal playing weight as he is. Fitness is at a high level too. Hrovat is/was in the same boat, the quad injuries held him back last season but barring that I think he'll be best 22.

A full year with promise in the VFL for Prudden would suffice.

Remi Moses
31-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Will Bontempelli push for a game?
Hrovat ( spell check gave me hero check!)has the biggest upside of all the draftees.
Some might say Jake does, but he showed glimpses of brilliance.

Dazza
31-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I'd like them all to become dangerous around goal.

Early indications are that they all will be which is a good sign.

Libba and Wallis feeding it out to these guys will be great to watch in a few years time.

bornadog
31-01-2014, 06:42 PM
One big danger is Mcrae having second year blues. he has put on some size, and changed his body shape and may also get more attention from the opposition. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.

GVGjr
31-01-2014, 11:52 PM
One big danger is Mcrae having second year blues. he has put on some size, and changed his body shape and may also get more attention from the opposition. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.

It's a good point you raise. He will need to adjust to a lot of things this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2014, 02:33 AM

Yep, and despite a good year one, physically he's behind the rest even though he's added size.

Having said all that, the two things which may see him avoid second year blues are 1 - he's got a first rate attitude and 2 - he's a very smart player. Interesting year for him.

I think Jack will be a real player in 3 years time.