PDA

View Full Version : Best quarter ever.

Twodogs
31-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Has to be last quarter against St Kilda in 1978 for mine.

The first quarter of the first final against West Coast in 1997 was pretty good too. My mate turned to me and said "when I die and go to heaven this is what it will be like"

chef
31-01-2014, 05:50 PM
The last quarter against the Bombers in 2000. Never been so pumped/tense, I thought my heart was going to explode. Having a brother and mother who are intolerable Essendon supporters made this so sweet.

The third quarter of the 97 prelim rates a mention as during this quarter is the only time I've truly thought we could make or win a GF. So cruel.

bornadog
31-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Has to be last quarter against St Kilda in 1978 for mine.

The first quarter of the first final against West Coast in 1997 was pretty good too. My mate turned to me and said "when I die and go to heaven this is what it will be like"

You mean against the Swans.

bornadog
31-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Last quarter versus Saints, round 13 1978, record score. We kicked 12.4 in the last.

Footscray 33.15 (213) (Goals: Templeton 15.9, Dunstan 7, Hawkins 3, Scanlan 2, Whitten 2, Kelly, Low, Dempsey, Stoneham) defeated St. Kilda 16.10 (106) (Goals: Young 4, Lofts 2, Sidebottom 2, Sarau 2, O'Keefe 2, Barker, Hunt, Greene, Sartori). The 22 goals shared by Templeton and Dunstan is a VFL record matched only by Doug Strang and Titus in 1931. Dunstan was a midfielder.

Templeton had 24 shots at goal. What an enjoyable day that was.

383PM8xwR0g

bulldogsfight
31-01-2014, 06:16 PM
3rd qtr v Ess at WO 1985, 7.2 to 3 points, still rememeber Choco Royal goal from cenre clearance,

Twodogs
31-01-2014, 07:05 PM
You mean against the Swans.

West Coast must have been the following year then.

3rd qtr v Ess at WO 1985, 7.2 to 3 points, still rememeber Choco Royal goal from cenre clearance,

That was a beauty.

bornadog
31-01-2014, 07:54 PM
West Coast must have been the following year then. .

We kicked 9 against the Swans in the first quarter. The following year we beat Westcoast by 70 points.

W W Biscuit
01-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Probably a lesser known game, bit I'll always remember our game versus North Melbourne at the G in 1988. We struggled for three quarters and didn't look like it. We were 21 points down at three quarter time, then North kick the first goal of the last quarter within a minute. Then, out of nowhere, we went on an absolute rampage, kicking the final nine goals of the game to win comfortably. I recall the heroic effort of Peter Foster, who played at CHF that day. He'd injured his shoulder and played the final quarter basically one handed - still managing to impact the contest. I went absolutely ape droppings and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week.

bornadog
01-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Probably a lesser known game, bit I'll always remember our game versus North Melbourne at the G in 1988. We struggled for three quarters and didn't look like it. We were 21 points down at three quarter time, then North kick the first goal of the last quarter within a minute. Then, out of nowhere, we went on an absolute rampage, kicking the final nine goals of the game to win comfortably. I recall the heroic effort of Peter Foster, who played at CHF that day. He'd injured his shoulder and played the final quarter basically one handed - still managing to impact the contest. I went absolutely ape droppings and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week.

I almost put down this game until I remembered the Saints game. It was a great game in the end but I do remember being frustrated for the first three quarters then the jubilation of the last.

Dancin' Douggy
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
can't remember the year exactly, but we flogged the tigers mercilessly in the first quarter. Nathan Brown and Terry Wallace were shellshocked. It was soooooooooooooooo sweet.

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 04:27 PM
can't remember the year exactly, but we flogged the tigers mercilessly in the first quarter. Nathan Brown and Terry Wallace were shellshocked. It was soooooooooooooooo sweet.

Friday night game?

jeemak
01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
My favourite was the 1997 QF opening quarter. Next time we play finals a replay of that should be shown to the side saying this is how a team should account for itself in the opening stanza of a finals series.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Was that the round 1 game where it was over 100 points. And Matty Boyd ran 100 metres from the centre out sprinting the flood to kick one of my all time favourite goals.

Greystache
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Round 7 1997 vs Hawthorn was pretty amazing. We'd been running over teams in the final quarter on the back of a new preseason training approach. Scores were level at 3/4 time, Hawthorn supporters around me were telling everyone how they were going to run over the top of us, and we kicked 8 goals to 1 and won by 45 points. It reaffirmed to me we were a genuinely good team that year.

always right
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Was that the round 1 game where it was over 100 points. And Matty Boyd ran 100 metres from the centre out sprinting the flood to kick one of my all time favourite goals.

I think they were different games.

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 05:48 PM

I don't know that it was this game but around this time I had a bet with my North supporting boss. We shook hands and agreed on 20 bucks. As I walked out the door he said "of course you'll be giving me 4 goals in" I didn't have to turn around to know he was deadly serious.

My chances of collecting were looking pretty ordinary at 3/4 time but we roared home in the last and covered the spread by a point!

Twodogs
01-02-2014, 05:50 PM

That was a friday night game. Great game.

azabob
01-02-2014, 06:01 PM

I think they were different games.

They were different games.

Boyd's goal was very important just before half or 3/4 time and gave us a little buffer we needed.

azabob
01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Round 7 1997 vs Hawthorn was pretty amazing. We'd been running over teams in the final quarter on the back of a new preseason training approach. Scores were level at 3/4 time, Hawthorn supporters around me were telling everyone how they were going to run over the top of us, and we kicked 8 goals to 1 and won by 45 points. It reaffirmed to me we were a genuinely good team that year.

The 1997/98 period at Princess Park we were guaranteed of having a quarter where we would kick 8-10 goals and totally kill off the game. Those couple of years were the most fun I have ever had at the footy.

bornadog
02-02-2014, 01:21 AM
I don't know that it was this game but around this time I had a bet with my North supporting boss. We shook hands and agreed on 20 bucks. As I walked out the door he said "of course you'll be giving me 4 goals in" I didn't have to turn around to know he was deadly serious.

My chances of collecting were looking pretty ordinary at 3/4 time but we roared home in the last and covered the spread by a point!

We won the 1988 game by 27 points

Twodogs
02-02-2014, 02:11 AM
We won the 1988 game by 27 points

Thinking back the game I'm thinking of was either 1985 or 1986 at VFL Park. Pretty sure it was '85.

bornadog
02-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Thinking back the game I'm thinking of was either 1985 or 1986 at VFL Park. Pretty sure it was '85.

I remember that game so well, in 1985. WE won by 2 points after a ding dong struggle all day. Brad Hardie was brilliant, running and bouncing the ball. Beasely kicked 5, Wally with 29 disposals, Choice royal a couple of goals and Edmond 3.

IAUry2BzbRg

boydogs
02-02-2014, 12:54 PM

I was behind the goals at the front of level 3 :D

HGDuSmfrpMo

bulldogtragic
02-02-2014, 01:10 PM
:) Perfect seats for it. I was on the wing screaming like the final 100m of the Melbourne Cup. It's about as exciting a bit of play I've witnessed.

bornadog
02-02-2014, 04:09 PM
:) Perfect seats for it. I was on the wing screaming like the final 100m of the Melbourne Cup. It's about as exciting a bit of play I've witnessed.

I remember it was absolutely freezing and I didn't have a coat and was wishing the roof was closed.

Mitch Hahn's Big kick into our forward half was a ripper, he did that a few times in his career.

Ozza
03-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I remember it was absolutely freezing and I didn't have a coat and was wishing the roof was closed.

Mitch Hahn's Big kick into our forward half was a ripper, he did that a few times in his career.

it was freezing that day! I ended up sitting by myself for the second half - as everyone else I was with went and watched from the warmth of the bar!

One of my favourite quarters (or halves for that matter) was v Hawthorn in 2009. Not sure what the quarter time score was exactly - but it was roughly 9 goals to none....and at half time it was 88-4....it was football bliss.

Maddog37
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I was in medallion club with three Hawks fans that night. It felt surreal and on hindsight you would want to check the betting sheets!! :)

1eyedog
03-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Round 1 2006 against the Tigers. I had a good feeling at the start of the season. Maybe it's because Richmond are one of my least ok teams or maybe it's because my best mate is a Richmond supporter but that 9 goal second quarter sure was great to watch live sitting next to him :D

Twodogs
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
It might have been 1992 or even 1993 but we'd never beaten Sydney on the SCG. The game was pretty even up until about 20 minutes into the second quarter when we stepped up a gear and Sydney couldn't go with us.

The third quarter was magic. We completely blew them out of the water.

The Doctor
04-02-2014, 12:09 AM
It might have been 1992 or even 1993 but we'd never beaten Sydney on the SCG. The game was pretty even up until about 20 minutes into the second quarter when we stepped up a gear and Sydney couldn't go with us.

The third quarter was magic. We completely blew them out of the water.

1990, I was there. 17yo Chris Grant ripped Tilt Carter a new one. Tony McGuinness ran amok. we won by 10 goals in an upset

bornadog
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Round 1 2006 against the Tigers. I had a good feeling at the start of the season. Maybe it's because Richmond are one of my least ok teams or maybe it's because my best mate is a Richmond supporter but that 9 goal second quarter sure was great to watch live sitting next to him :D

We kicked 9 in the third and I think 8 in the last to really belt them.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 02:10 PM
1990, I was there. 17yo Chris Grant ripped Tilt Carter a new one. Tony McGuinness ran amok. we won by 10 goals in an upset

Cheers Doc. I didn't think it was that early.

That 17yo showed a few players up that year.

1eyedog
04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
We kicked 9 in the third and I think 8 in the last to really belt them.

Yeah that was the good thing about the match, we really went on with it and beat them up by well over 100 points.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Yeah that was the good thing about the match, we really went on with it and beat them up by well over 100 points.

115 points. Griff made a comment about Richmond being weak or soft or something after te game that attracted a bit of comment in the media.

Greystache
04-02-2014, 02:39 PM
115 points. Griff made a comment about Richmond being weak or soft or something after te game that attracted a bit of comment in the media.

From memory he said they gave up after half time and were arguing amongst themselves. I don't think he did another media interview for the next 7 years after the reaction.

bulldogtragic
04-02-2014, 03:55 PM
From memory he said they gave up after half time and were arguing amongst themselves. I don't think he did another media interview for the next 7 years after the reaction.
They were the comments. I love how the media wants honesty and when it gets it, some try to twist it.

jeemak
04-02-2014, 04:28 PM
They were the comments. I love how the media wants honesty and when it gets it, some try to twist it.

Everybody wants honesty until people start being honest.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Everybody wants honesty until people start being honest.

Try and keep stuff like that to yourself.

Sedat
05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Some terrific memories on this thread.

All of the last 3 qtrs of the 2006 EF against Collingwood were as enjoyable an experience as I've ever had at the footy. They jumped us in the first qtr and we then kicked something like 13 of the next 14 goals until the filth kicked a couple of cheapies in junk time. it was Tarrant's last game in his first stint at Collingwood and we were sitting right on the wing - late in the last qtr Tarrant chased the ball right up near where we were sitting, and my mate yelled out to him "don't worry Taz, at least you've got Mad Monday to look forward to", to which he had a quiet chuckle to himself

That North game in 1988 was an amazing turnaround - it was a dirty, wet and muddy day at the MCG (remember when it had mud?) and North had outplayed us all game. Then out of nowhere we slammed on the last 9 goals of the game in about 20 minutes to storm home. Beaser was normally rubbish in the wet but even he kicked a bag that day.

Another favourite qtr of mine was the last qtr against Adelaide at the MCG in 1999. We were 40 points down and looking absolutely shot, and then we kicked 6.8 to 0.2 in the last qtr to fly home from nowhere. Darce really controlled the rucks that day, and whilst it would never erase the bitterness of the 97/98 PF's it was nice to get one over Malcolm Blight and the Crows - think it was Mal's last game as Crows coach from memory?

We had a couple of amazing comebacks down at Kardinia Park in the mid/late 90's as well. In 1995 we came back from 40 odd points down thanks to the brilliance of Libba Snr and pipped them at the post. Then in 1999 we kicked the last 4 goals of the game in about 5 minutes to come from nowhere and snatch it again - Cooky and Huddo were the catalysts that day