PDA

View Full Version : Any surprises this year?

GVGjr
01-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Roughead to the back line was a surprise move and one that I didn't think would work. After seeing his development and the way he acquitted himself right through the year I'm more than happy to say my initial doubts were very wrong.

Do you see any surprise moves by the coach this year?

Whats one move you would like to see even if it was just a trial during the NAB Cup?
The one I would like to see is Jones having a go at the CHB position. This is probably unlikely but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Do you have any others?

Hotdog60
01-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Higgins playing and full year without injury would that be classed as a surprise move.:)

JJ moving to the wing. I would like to see some speed through the centre, with Cooney spending time last year around half back could that release JJ.

LostDoggy
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy back in the forward line.

With the emergence of JJ, Young looking like a big improver this year and Goodes who looks like he's having a great pre season I think we can now afford to trial it again. All 3 are quality users of the footy. With Goodes a tad inconsistent.

We really struggled coming out of defence and finding targets last year. Yes our disposal was average at best, but this wasn't helped by our targets up the field who would generally run to the wrong spots (Jones Cordy ect)

Murphy is such a smart player, times his leads perfectly and knows exactly where to run. Better yet the way he can play on so quickly and get the ball moving would be hugely beneficial for our forwards.

I guess it all depends on how well JJ and Young are performing and i know Crameri may improve us in this area. But I sill wouldn't mind seeing this.

Bulldog Joe
01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Roughead to the back line was a surprise move and one that I didn't think would work. After seeing his development and the way he acquitted himself right through the year I'm more than happy to say my initial doubts were very wrong.

Do you see any surprise moves by the coach this year?

Whats one move you would like to see even if it was just a trial during the NAB Cup?
The one I would like to see is Jones having a go at the CHB position. This is probably unlikely but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Do you have any others?

There have been plenty of calls for Jones to be tried back, but I would have very serious reservations. His lack of a tank would be seriously exposed if he had to cover a forward making multiple leads. I would see him burning out pretty quickly.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
There have been plenty of calls for Jones to be tried back, but I would have very serious reservations. His lack of a tank would be seriously exposed if he had to cover a forward making multiple leads. I would see him burning out pretty quickly.
I'm also concerned by his constant knack of running under the ball too. I'm not sure whether a trial back would assist that or not.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
my crystall ball (or maybe it was The Age article) says Tommygun to the forward line. He can run amok down there and no bastard will stop him. Well at least he will provide another target in a marking contest and he can mark on the lead. He will do the team thing and will be able to present consistently and give us much more versatility and unpredictability with Jones, Crameri and Giansiracusa providing avenues to goal.
It gives us potentially a lot more potency up forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2014, 01:44 PM
my crystall ball (or maybe it was The Age article) says Tommygun to the forward line. He can run amok down there and no bastard will stop him. Well at least he will provide another target in a marking contest and he can mark on the lead. He will do the team thing and will be able to present consistently and give us much more versatility and unpredictability with Jones, Crameri and Giansiracusa providing avenues to goal.
It gives us potentially a lot more potency up forward.

If Williams is fit, it does make for some interesting selections considering the likes of Crameri (best 22), Campbell (close to best 22), Jones (best 22 or close) and Stringer. I wonder if we would use Williams to replace Campbell as the forward/second ruck, or Jones as the CHF?

Tommy has shown real promise up forward. I thought he was a so-so defender, and struggled on better players, but the flexibility is nice.

If Jones is struggling then I am all for trialing him at CHB.

Go_Dogs
01-02-2014, 03:06 PM
For mine, I'd like to see Easton Wood trialled off a forward flank. Power athlete, good leap. Query if he has the game sense to be really effective but as a medium sized marking target who could provide some good defensive efforts maybe he could be a viable option.

F'scary
02-02-2014, 12:16 PM
*Message*to*take*from*announcement*that*reconditioned*warrio r*12*Williams*will*compete*for*a*forward*role*:

*Warrior*32*Talia*will*be*given*all*available*opportunities* to*claim*the*Centre*Half*Back*role*.