PDA

View Full Version : When did you think

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
"This kid could be a player"

I vividly remember Chris Grant's first kick in the AFL. He took a mark close to the boundary on the Gordon st side of the ground about 50 metres out early in the game.

We were kicking toward the Geelong rd end and this kid wearing #29 who no one had heard of lined up to take a shot at goal. I got out of my stool and went and stood near the goal umpire (I was working as a ground attendant at the time). The kick went over our heads and straight through the goal posts. The copper sitting with us asked if that was his first kick in league footy. I said it was and he said "that kid could be quite a player" He wasn't wrong!

1eyedog
04-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Watching Jayden Schofield run up and down the wing all day at ES showing timing and poise - thought he was going to be a good player :o

Watching Keenan Reynolds outplay Buckets Loewe in the air all day one match early on in his career in the early 90s. He completely out positioned, out jumped and read the ball better than Loewe through the air all day. Unfortunately I think he was only 188cm so was never really going to be a long-term key back. Still many of the FF of the day were small (Dunstall, Ablett) so I thought he could make it.

Mofra
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Dale Morris - excellent game 1 to towel up Andrew McLeod

hotdog
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Ryan Griffen first season 2005. Cant remember who we were playing but it was at the MCG. Maybe the Saints? Took posession on the half back flank, side stepped around a few players making them look stationary, two bounces up the wing and then delivered to Granty lace out on the left foot. I turned to my uncle and said "I think this bloke will be a very good player". It was pure class.

bulldogtragic
04-02-2014, 03:52 PM
I went to watch the Willy vs Frankston game many moons ago. Watched the magoos and after 5 minutes of play I asked the Willy officials I was sitting with who this tall CHF was who was so good it wasn't funny. I was told, "his name is Liam Jones, he's bulldogs listed. It's his first game with us". He looked Carey-esq that day, he was so dominant they moved him into defence because every kick went to him after quarter time.

Ryan Griffen toweling up Ablett and then the media hype when he said Ablett didn't respect him.

More recently, Stringer's 4 goal quarter in the VFL seniors got everyone excited, me especially.

Maddog37
04-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Watching Hrovat and Prudden versus the Pies VFL team. Poise, vision, work rate and a certain cockiness.

Dazza
04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Will Minson reported for striking in his 2nd game.

ledge
04-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Templeton Grant and Hawkins, just had it from day one.

ledge
04-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Might add a few of our new recruits the last few years look pretty classy too, standout for me Mc Crae

GVGjr
04-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Rohan Smith kicking 6 goals in the early game. Mega mullet happening. I think he played as a HFF that day.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Rohan Smith kicking 6 goals in the early game. Mega mullet happening. I think he played as a HFF that day.

When you say in the early game do you mean the reserves?

GVGjr
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
When you say in the early game do you mean the reserves?

I can't recall if it was an U19's or a reserves game. I think it was the latter.

LostDoggy
04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Clay Smith snagging 4 goals on debut before being subbed out with a full body cramp.

Go_Dogs
04-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Great thread idea.

Libba sticks out as one who played a very good game in the U/18 champs at Norwood Oval, remember thinking he just had time and was so clean by hand and foot and would transition to a very good AFL footballer.

Lachie Hunter was another who caught my eye at Alberton Oval in the U/18's - I know there had been a bit of talk about him the year prior, but he was one of the better players that day and showed a lot of signs that he could transition to a very good senior footballer too.

Twodogs
04-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I can't recall if it was an U19's or a reserves game. I think it was the latter.

It'll ask his mum. She'll remember.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Seeing JJ at training before he'd played a game, and I thought I must not be a good judge because I can't see why his praises weren't being sung and why he's not in the team.
Seeing Lachie Hunter at training before the start of the season, paired against Macrae, who he absolutely towelled up every contest I saw ( I was doing a bit of talking as well) and I thought of all the recruits, he looked ready for the ones.

The Doctor
04-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Adrian Campbell, 1988 vs Melb (on their way to the GF) running at full speed, drill a low trajectory 35m pass to Beasley on the lead.

I thought he would be the player Chris Grant ultimately became for us.

Twodogs
05-02-2014, 12:25 AM
The first preseason Josh Hill and Jarryd Harbrow were on the list Rocket paired them up in most of the Match practice. You could see that Harbrow had something special.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Dahlhaus immediately upon being brought onto the game as a sub in his debut v St. Kilda. He was so lively, he got us back into the game.

Mofra
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Adrian Campbell, 1988 vs Melb (on their way to the GF) running at full speed, drill a low trajectory 35m pass to Beasley on the lead.
If it wasn't for injuries, he might have been that player - he had more than a few Bulldog fans excited

Bulldog Revolution
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
McMahon at an intraclub match at Whitten Ovalin his first summer with us - he oozed the class of a Brownlow medallist - shame he didnt have the drive

bornadog
05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Gary Dempsey, just looked like he was going to be something special. Was a gangly kid from Lara, who debuted in 1967. In 1969 he was burnt in bushfires and was told he would never play footy again. He went on to win 5 B&Fs for the club.

I was so pissed off when he left us, but still regard him as one of my all time favourite players.

Twodogs
05-02-2014, 01:52 PM
If it wasn't for injuries, he might have been that player - he had more than a few Bulldog fans excited

Apparently the medical team at the hospital who first attended to him when he did his knee said it was the worst example of a ligament injury they had seen. It was more like the result of a motorcycle accident than a football injury.

chef
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Ward also looked the goods from the get go, prick.

bornadog
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Ward also looked the goods from the get go, prick.

Agree - and I feel the same about Harbrow. I don't buy into being closer to family.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Gary Dempsey, just looked like he was going to be something special. Was a gangly kid from Lara, who debuted in 1967. In 1969 he was burnt in bushfires and was told he would never play footy again. He went on to win 5 B&Fs for the club.

I was so pissed off when he left us, but still regard him as one of my all time favourite players.

How many times would you see the ball bombed to a pack near either goal and long arms go up and Dempsey rake it in? He'd save us late in the game like this in the backline and win it for us by doing it in the forward line.

ReLoad
05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
None other than John Georgiadies.

1989 what a day, put the cheats to the sword.

He was going to be bigger than Jesus and the Beatles put together.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Chris Grant. Saw him kick 3 or 4 goals at fullforward in the last intraclub practice match at Skinner Reserve the year he debuted.He was leading fast and marking effortlessly. I knew he was going to be a special player then.

KT31
17-02-2014, 05:32 PM
The first preseason Josh Hill and Jarryd Harbrow were on the list Rocket paired them up in most of the Match practice. You could see that Harbrow had something special.

I watched this practice match and as soon as it finished rang SS very excited and asked what he knew about this kid Harbrow.

bulldogtragic
17-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I watched this practice match and as soon as it finished rang SS very excited and asked what he knew about this kid Harbrow.

The hype and excitement of (as Aker named them) the brothers running around in the intraclub match got me down to the ground to. I think someone posted a photo on here of the crowd sitting in th stand, and it was just about all WOOF members! :)

I think we were all excited, shame we have none of the 4 indigenous boys on the list.