PDA

View Full Version : Scharenburg out for a long time

ledge
05-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Apparently both ankles have given way and he needs operations ,we might have dodged a bullet there.

bornadog
05-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Did we do a medical on him? I know we had concerns about his foot.

Axe Man
05-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Apparently both ankles have given way and he needs operations ,we might have dodged a bullet there.

He's having foot surgery, not ankle (how could his ankles give way :confused:). It's the same problem he had last year and was well known by all clubs.

Magpies draftee Scharenberg to have foot surgery (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-04/foot-surgery-for-scharenberg)

COLLINGWOOD'S No.6 draft pick Matthew Scharenberg will undergo surgery this week on the foot problems that have held him back in his first pre-season.

Scharenberg, who has been doing non-weight bearing training since joining the club in November, will have the sesamoid bone in both his feet removed.

Already set to miss the start of the season as he works through the injury, the operations will push back his expected return to football by four to six weeks.

He is still expected to push for senior selection in the second half of the season.

"He is a very talented player but he is young and we were always taking a long term approach with him. There was a small amount of lingering pain and with the operation he will have some certainty of an outcome," football director Rodney Eade said in a Collingwood statement.

"There is no real time frame on his return but all going well he should be running and seriously preparing to play in late May."

It is believed fellow Magpie Josh Thomas had similar surgery and has since responded well.

The 18-year-old missed the end of his season with SANFL club Glenelg and sat out last year's NAB AFL Draft Combine after struggling to overcome sesamoiditis.

While some clubs had concerns over the injury in the lead-up to the draft, the Pies took a long-term view and selected the athletic utility with their first selection.

List manager Derek Hine said after the draft the club had done "extensive research" on the injury and was confident the 191cm prospect would not be hindered by the problem.

The South Australian was a back-to-back All Australian at under-18 level and starred at last year's national championships.

He recently told AFL.com.au of his tightly managed first few months with the club.

"I've been on a modified program, just doing rehab mainly and trying to get the feet right," Scharenberg said in January.

"It's still been pretty solid and lots of hard work, but it's been good."

Scharenberg was one of two first-round selections at last year's draft for the Pies, alongside explosive midfielder Nathan Freeman at pick No.10.

ledge
05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Could be one of those great players who hardly gets on the park, we already have Williams and Higgins couldn't afford another , welcome to the club Bonts.

ledge
05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
He's having foot surgery, not ankle (how could his ankles give way :confused:). It's the same problem he had last year and was well known by all clubs.

Magpies draftee Scharenberg to have foot surgery (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-04/foot-surgery-for-scharenberg)

COLLINGWOOD'S No.6 draft pick Matthew Scharenberg will undergo surgery this week on the foot problems that have held him back in his first pre-season.

Scharenberg, who has been doing non-weight bearing training since joining the club in November, will have the sesamoid bone in both his feet removed.

Already set to miss the start of the season as he works through the injury, the operations will push back his expected return to football by four to six weeks.

He is still expected to push for senior selection in the second half of the season.

"He is a very talented player but he is young and we were always taking a long term approach with him. There was a small amount of lingering pain and with the operation he will have some certainty of an outcome," football director Rodney Eade said in a Collingwood statement.

"There is no real time frame on his return but all going well he should be running and seriously preparing to play in late May."

It is believed fellow Magpie Josh Thomas had similar surgery and has since responded well.

The 18-year-old missed the end of his season with SANFL club Glenelg and sat out last year's NAB AFL Draft Combine after struggling to overcome sesamoiditis.

While some clubs had concerns over the injury in the lead-up to the draft, the Pies took a long-term view and selected the athletic utility with their first selection.

List manager Derek Hine said after the draft the club had done "extensive research" on the injury and was confident the 191cm prospect would not be hindered by the problem.

The South Australian was a back-to-back All Australian at under-18 level and starred at last year's national championships.

He recently told AFL.com.au of his tightly managed first few months with the club.

"I've been on a modified program, just doing rehab mainly and trying to get the feet right," Scharenberg said in January.

"It's still been pretty solid and lots of hard work, but it's been good."

Scharenberg was one of two first-round selections at last year's draft for the Pies, alongside explosive midfielder Nathan Freeman at pick No.10.

You have never rolled an ankle ? It certainly gives way, I imagine ankle injuries could end a career, I was listening to an SEN interview and they had a player on who retired due to an ankle injury and 10 years later he said he still has bad pain with it and struggles every day with it. So yes ankles can give way.
But ok it's both feet and a bone had to be removed, and will be ongoing management. We have Cooney on that type of problem and he has never reached his peak since, just the odd good game. It's a big gamble collingwood have taken I'm glad we didn't.

Maddog37
05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
If he was outstanding in comparison to all other players then maybe the risk would be ok but he was in a bunch imho and the foot issue was a major negative. You cant play football without using your feet after all! Good player though from what I saw.

Axe Man
05-02-2014, 12:05 PM
You have never rolled an ankle ? It certainly gives way, I imagine ankle injuries could end a career, I was listening to an SEN interview and they had a player on who retired due to an ankle injury and 10 years later he said he still has bad pain with it and struggles every day with it. So yes ankles can give way.
But ok it's both feet and a bone had to be removed, and will be ongoing management. We have Cooney on that type of problem and he has never reached his peak since, just the odd good game. It's a big gamble collingwood have taken I'm glad we didn't.

Sure I've rolled an ankle, never both at the same time though!

Hopefully for his sake the operations resolve the issue and he can have a successful career. Chris Judd and Joel Selwood both had issues pre-draft and it hasn't held them back. On the other hand Howard had hip trouble before we drafted him and it still seems to be ongoing.

bornadog
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Sure I've rolled an ankle, never both at the same time though!

Hopefully for his sake the operations resolve the issue and he can have a successful career. Chris Judd and Joel Selwood both had issues pre-draft and it hasn't held them back. On the other hand Howard had hip trouble before we drafted him and it still seems to be ongoing.

and no one wanted to touch Stringer due to a broken leg.

ledge
05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Difference is Stringers was an injury, Scharenburgs is obviously a body make up gene if both feet have given way.
As we know some people's bodies just can't take the rigours of football it's a very high ask on the body. He hasn't even started really getting into it and both feet have a history.
We obviously weren't prepared to take the chance on that history.

Remi Moses
05-02-2014, 04:17 PM
I think it's a bit early to be talking of dodging bullets.
Might be something to look at in 12 months time.

ledge
05-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Maybe it is but this puts Bonts a year ahead in development already.
Unless he gets an injury :-(
Isn't Bonts the youngest draftee to be picked like Hunter was last year ?

lemmon
05-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Agree, these kids are picked for 5 years down the track, lets wait and see where they end up

ledge
05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Agree, these kids are picked for 5 years down the track, lets wait and see where they end up

Cordy is our one.

azabob
23-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Has now injured his ACL in the VFL.

ratsmac
23-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Has now injured his ACL in the VFL.

Wow, how unlucky is he. And how lucky were the dogs in opting for Bontempelli. That is if we were even into Scharenburg like the media were suggesting. You gotta take your hat off to our recruiters.

I wish him well for his recovery.

ledge
23-08-2014, 04:58 PM
We have Clay Smith as our Scharenburg now that Tom Williams has retired.

Remi Moses
23-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Time will tell.
Interesting discussion for a few years time.
Terrible luck for the kid.

Throughandthrough
24-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Devestating for the young fella. I guess the recruiters will think twice when looking at younger brother Jonty at the end of next year as well.

LostDoggy
24-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Devestating for the young fella. I guess the recruiters will think twice when looking at younger brother Jonty at the end of next year as well.

Has he had any problems TT?

Throughandthrough
24-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Nope.

azabob
24-08-2014, 09:25 PM
If he is good enough they won't. Menzel brothers are a good example.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Channel 10 reporting Scharenberg is likely to go back to SA. Could get spiteful as he's not got the value of the pick used on him which will have Eddie going purple.

ledge
17-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Channel 10 reporting Scharenberg is likely to go back to SA. Could get spiteful as he's not got the value of the pick used on him which will have Eddie going purple.

With all their resources the one thing they seem to lack is due diligence.

jeemak
17-08-2015, 08:30 PM
With all their resources the one thing they seem to lack is due diligence.

Was it always a given he would go home?

ledge
17-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Was it always a given he would go home?

Not sure but I think you get a good idea through interviews and it is always a concern when drafting interstate players.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 09:26 PM

I'd pay his flight just for the vision.

KT31
24-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Kid must be gutted.

Young Pie Scharenberg requires another knee reconstruction - AFL.com.au

Sedat
24-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Now is probably a good time to look at it - poor bloke.

bornadog
24-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Kid must be gutted.

Young Pie Scharenberg requires another knee reconstruction - AFL.com.au (http://Young Pie Scharenberg requires another knee reconstruction - AFL.com.au)

Feel sorry for him. I must admit I was disappointed at the time we didn't draft him. Sometime some players just don't have any luck at all - like our own Clay Smith.

Mofra
24-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Really sad story, it was his good knee this time too

Twodogs
24-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Poor kid must be gutted. I hope he gets back on the park ASAP.

Remi Moses
24-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Real talent that kid.
Just rotten luck

Throughandthrough
24-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Jonty could easily be a first rounder 12 months from today. Fingers cross he is a bit sturdier! (so far, so good)

Greystache
24-11-2015, 04:36 PM
To think the media were singing Buckley's praises for dismantling a premiership team and loading up on young stars. From two top 10 picks in 2013 one is already gone and the other looks long odds to have much of a career.

anfo27
24-11-2015, 05:35 PM
To think the media were singing Buckley's praises for dismantling a premiership team and loading up on young stars. From two top 10 picks in 2013 one is already gone and the other looks long odds to have much of a career.

Agree with this. If buckley had taken a crap side to what we see now then he has done a great job but he took over a young premiership team and dismantled it. I wouldn't be happy if i was a pies supporter.

anfo27
24-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Agree with this. If buckley had taken a crap side to what we see now then he has done a great job but he took over a young premiership team and dismantled it. I wouldn't be happy if i was a pies supporter.