PDA

View Full Version : Johnson latest Hall of Famer

bornadog
07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-02-07/johnson-latest-hall-of-famer)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/218074-tlsnewsportrait_zps4a47d611.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/218074-tlsnewsportrait_zps4a47d611.jpg.html)

Club great Brad Johnson is set to be unveiled as one of the newest inductees in the Footscray-Western Bulldogs Hall of Fame at the Season Launch event at Crown Palladium next month.

Joining an illustrious list of past players, coaches and officials, the Bulldogs’ games record holder felt honoured to be recognised alongside a host of his idols and former teammates.

Don't miss out on this historical event! Secure your seat at the 2014 Season Launch & Hall of Fame event now.

“I grew up watching the majority of the current [Hall of Fame inductees] and idolising them, so it is a huge honour,” Johnson said.

The six-time All Australian and three-time best and fairest winner forged an unforgettable career with the Bulldogs, spanning 17 years, 364 games and 543 goals.

Rotating between the midfield and forward line, the “smiling assassin” had the privilege of lining up alongside the likes of fellow Hall of Fame greats Scott Wynd, Chris Grant and Scott West, for which he is forever grateful.

“That is where I learnt the craft and the love of the Club, from those guys there,” he said.

“It started with Scotty Wynd being my first captain through to Granty and the friendship I had with Westy right the way through was enormous.

“Those guys, they are the ones I followed around from day one.”

The 37-year-old said he was flattered by the recognition and was grateful to have served the Club he holds so dear.

“It’s just a huge honour… I just enjoy being a part of a great Club which has been such a big part of my life,” he said.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Congrats to Brad who was a great player for us and a true bulldog through and through. Even supported us as a kid.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Congrats to Brad who was a great player for us and a true bulldog through and through. Even supported us as a kid.

A highlight of this night of night's will be the selection of the Club's next Legend, who will join Sutton Whitten and Schultz in this top category.
Possibilities should include former champions which includes the likes of Hopkins Ware Olliver Templeton Hawkins Grant West Wynd and Liberatore.
Who you would select to become our 4th Club Legend?

Eastdog
08-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Doug Hawkins would be next in my opinion.

GVGjr
08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
A highlight of this night of night's will be the selection of the Club's next Legend, who will join Sutton Whitten and Schultz in this top category.
Possibilities should include former champions which includes the likes of Hopkins Ware Olliver Templeton Hawkins Grant West Wynd and Liberatore.

At a guess, Hopkins or Templeton

bornadog
08-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Love to see our first Century kicker be made a legend.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Love to see our first Century kicker be made a legend.

A good thought BAD.Collins Beasley and Dempsey would be others with strong claims.

KT31
08-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Well done to Johnno, a great honour for him as it was for us to watch and enjoy him at the Doggies.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2014, 06:30 PM

History would suggest that Hopkins could be the man.

1eyedog
13-02-2014, 11:06 PM
What a champion footballer this guy was. Such a great pack mark for a guy his size.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-02-2014, 09:09 PM
History would suggest that Hopkins could be the man.

Hopkins was obviously a stand out champion during his era. Always difficult to make comparisons with some of our more modern day champions of which the Bulldogs have had some outstanding individuals. Given Hopkins achievements it is surprising to think that he only won our Club's B&F once.

Webby
24-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Just spotted Johnno on AFL Teams tonight...

Advanced Hair, yeah yeah!:)

FrediKanoute
24-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Personally the club only has a handful of legends

EJ, Charlie, Dougie, Turtle and Johnno

Not sure of the criteria, but to me a Legend is a guy who played over 300 games for the club and/or won a premiership/brownlow medal or been a big part of the club's fabric during a time of crisis, steering through the difficult period's and showing real leadership.

The 5 above fit the criteria.

Webby
24-06-2015, 11:53 PM

Not sure of the criteria, but to me a Legend is a guy who played over 300 games for the club and/or won a premiership/brownlow medal or been a big part of the club's fabric during a time of crisis, steering through the difficult period's and showing real leadership.

Johnny Schultz is stiff, then!

bornadog
24-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Johnny Schultz is stiff, then!
He is a legend as far as I am concerned.

1eyedog
25-06-2015, 12:30 AM
He is a legend as far as I am concerned.

Me too. He and Teddy were as good as it gets.

jeemak
25-06-2015, 01:27 AM
It's interesting that Scott West doesn't make the grade.

I rate Scott West extremely highly, and if he started his career two or three years later we'd almost have been equal to the teams we were competing with in terms of A-Grade talent (which is a big reason we didn't quite make it) in 2008-2010.

Extremely underrated player from a legacy perspective. He basically pioneered the way inside players play the game today, quick fall to the knees, scrub for the ball with a creative handball out at any angle.

I was lucky enough to see Grant, Hawkins (at the end of his career), West and Johnson. I'd have loved to have seen the others as well.

1eyedog
25-06-2015, 01:39 AM
It's interesting that Scott West doesn't make the grade.

I rate Scott West extremely highly, and if he started his career two or three years later we'd almost have been equal to the teams we were competing with in terms of A-Grade talent (which is a big reason we didn't quite make it) in 2008-2010.

Extremely underrated player from a legacy perspective. He basically pioneered the way inside players play the game today, quick fall to the knees, scrub for the ball with a creative handball out at any angle.

I was lucky enough to see Grant, Hawkins (at the end of his career), West and Johnson. I'd have loved to have seen the others as well.

I reckon Diesel Williams set the benchmark for that. Not sure if he pioneered it but Diesel was the best I've seen at doing it. Diesel was a master at winning ground contests and his awareness and skill allowed him to hit up team mates almost immediately, even ones that were apparently outside his vision.

jeemak
25-06-2015, 01:59 AM
I reckon Diesel Williams set the benchmark for that. Not sure if he pioneered it but Diesel was the best I've seen at doing it. Diesel was a master at winning ground contests and his awareness and skill allowed him to hit up team mates almost immediately, even ones that were apparently outside his vision.

I get what you're saying, though I think by the time West was the prolific accumulator he was the game had changed a lot congestion wise and West found himself scrapping and fighting in tighter circumstances than Williams did.

One thing about Williams though, is I never saw him miss a target by foot. He always received credit for his use by hand however, his use by foot was equal to anybody's in terms of accuracy and penetration over 35-45 metres. The complete player in my view, even if he was a fat little thug.

Twodogs
25-06-2015, 03:31 AM

Rohan Smith.