PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney

The Bulldogs Bite
08-02-2014, 10:09 PM
In light of the most recent article (a very good read), I thought we'd start up a thread on Coons because there's quite a bit to discuss.

1 - How good could Cooney have been had it not been for his chronic knee injury? He wins a Brownlow at a very young age of 22 and has the full package: explosive speed, wins the ball inside and outside the contest, kicks plenty of goals as a mid, good mark overhead, very strong.

We'll probably never know, but could Cooney have won multiple brownlows? Could he have become one of the game's best, up there with names like Judd, Buckley and co?

2 - The article notes that he's feeling good, and if anything, felt better in the second half of 2013 than he did in the first half. Pretty remarkable given he was very close to a forced retirement. In any case, he played largely across half back but he does say he hopes to play more midfield.

Where do you see Cooney playing/having an influence? Can he go forward again? A fit and in form Cooney makes a monumental difference to our side, particularly once some of these younger guys develop in the next 1-2 years.

Ghost Dog
08-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I think midfield is not a bad position. He's a big unit, and great at getting out those overhead handballs to the outside runner. He creates good overlap, and is a pretty accurate kick. Nice to see the flowing locks back too!

boydogs
08-02-2014, 11:04 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/western-bulldogs-star-adam-cooney-feared-a-knee-injury-would-end-his-career/story-e6frf7jo-1226821308903

ratsmac
09-02-2014, 12:29 AM
It's great to see him happy. It was always a sour sight seeing Coons laboring on the field. With Cooney running on top of the ground again it really does give us a formidable midfield edge.

Dazza
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I always think what could have been regarding Cooney. Having Cooney, Griffen and Higgins fully fit we'd have one of the more formidable midfields around. Add a fully fit Tom Williams and some of our KPP woes are fixed as well.

Cooney at top flight v Griffen at top flight... Who gets the tag?

GVGjr
09-02-2014, 11:14 AM

It's a good question and probably no real correct answer but I think Cooney does, breakaway speed and probably the better kick

bornadog
09-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I think he will pretty much play a similar role to last year but may end up with more games in the midfield if his knee can hold up.

At his explosive best, he is a real star and has that x factor to change games. Lets hope he hold up for 2014.

But things are much better, now.“This pre-season I have just been having some maintenance, some PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections (to stimulate cartilage growth) pretty much only when I need it,” he said.
“It’s been pretty good. I’ve been doing pretty solid leg weights and some pretty solid squats which I haven’t done for a few years.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-02-2014, 07:50 PM

It's an interesting question, who's better at their best?

Have to say Cooney but it's close. It'd be amazing if they could both do it at the same time - here's hoping.

Mofra
10-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Have to say Cooney but it's close. It'd be amazing if they could both do it at the same time - here's hoping.
In a burst and over a quarter, Cooney. Cooney's absolute best is just a little higher.

Over a whole game under pressure, I really think Griff has grown last year - and his efforts on one leg in the semi against the Swans was one of the best Bulldog efforts I've seen (backing it up with 47 against the Swans in 2013 was a huge effort as well).

Drunken Bum
10-02-2014, 05:10 PM
"and he no longer cops a spray from his wife about “hardening up” when he was feeling deflated about the injury."

Did have a giggle at this bit :D

1eyedog
12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
I always think what could have been regarding Cooney. Having Cooney, Griffen and Higgins fully fit we'd have one of the more formidable midfields around. Add a fully fit Tom Williams and some of our KPP woes are fixed as well.

At this stage obviously every single coach earmarks Griffen, he is just so elite at winning his own ball now. Griffen has gone well past Cooney in terms of minutes influencing a game but I understand your point - at full flight I reckon most taggers would have their hands full with either one of them!

Hopefully Coons can get back to somewhere near his best because he adds so much zip and is an excellent finisher.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't believe we can judge who's better out of Cooney and Griffen until Cooney gets the sort of regular tagging that Griff has had for years. Let Griff off the leash of a tagger and we'd see who's better. Also Griff's leadership on field and his performance in finals has shown the depth of his character. Cooney needed to cop a blast from Rocket before he put in his outstanding finals quarter.

bornadog
06-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Where do you see Cooney playing/having an influence? Can he go forward again? A fit and in form Cooney makes a monumental difference to our side, particularly once some of these younger guys develop in the next 1-2 years.

Although he hasn't set the world on fire, he seems to be picking up a lot of possessions and his fitness levels seem pretty good.

A few errant handballs and kicks but I think he has done well in his first three games.

What a run down the middle of the ground in the first with Crameri putting the ball in front of him and Coons running into an open goal. I loved it.

lemmon
06-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Although he hasn't set the world on fire, he seems to be picking up a lot of possessions and his fitness levels seem pretty good.

A few errant handballs and kicks but I think he has done well in his first three games.

What a run down the middle of the ground in the first with Crameri putting the ball in front of him and Coons running into an open goal. I loved it.

Tremendous vision from Crameri too wasn't it? I groaned when he kicked it, thought he had bombed to absolutely nothing

jeemak
06-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Had a trip out to Gippsland to deal with yesterday, so didn't see the game. Mark Maclure on the radio basically lambasted him throughout the pre-match for being a one way player and then sniggered at Cooney being on the end of that one.

Having said that, he also said something along the lines of Stevens needing to provide run until he was advised Williams was in the side in his place.........

stefoid
07-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Needs to get better with his disposal now that he is playing more outside

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Needs to get better with his disposal now that he is playing more outside

I think his disposal has been very good, even for a predominately outside player.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 02:16 PM
We are lucky to have Coons in the team, his output seems best 22 and he is always a chance of producing something special.

GVGjr
07-04-2014, 07:30 PM
We are lucky to have Coons in the team, his output seems best 22 and he is always a chance of producing something special.

He will have a few poor games during the season but when he is playing well it's at a high level. Certainly in our best 22.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Had a trip out to Gippsland to deal with yesterday, so didn't see the game. Mark Maclure on the radio basically lambasted him throughout the pre-match for being a one way player and then sniggered at Cooney being on the end of that one.

Having said that, he also said something along the lines of Stevens needing to provide run until he was advised Williams was in the side in his place.........

I'll be interested if Carlton still get the wet lettuce treatment from Sellers.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-04-2014, 05:50 PM
He will have a few poor games during the season but when he is playing well it's at a high level. Certainly in our best 22.
With Griffen still to find his best form it is good to have the likes of Cooney and Boyd to step up in the midfield. Cooney's pace still makes him a valuable commodity.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Adam is our gun midfielder who is being played on a wing or forward or back......play him in the guts and leave him there and order will be restored.

DragzLS1
09-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Adam is our gun midfielder who is being played on a wing or forward or back......play him in the guts and leave him there and order will be restored.

Exactly this!

Griffen and Cooney in the guts with Libba and Boyd. Everybody just stand the hell back and watch what magic is about to transpire

1eyedog
09-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Tremendous vision from Crameri too wasn't it? I groaned when he kicked it, thought he had bombed to absolutely nothing

Me too. There was just as much chance of it not working than working. It was a tough bounce too for Coons but he handled it beautifully.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2014, 03:09 PM
The most important factor is that he's moving and feeling well. His disposal has improved from a few years ago too, when he actually didn't have any feeling in his knee. These are all positives that will, hopefully, lead to him playing some great footy this season.

I'd like to see him play in the centre with Griffen and Libba more, particularly once Ryan reaches full fitness. That trio (with Minson) has the potential to carve any opposition midfield combo up.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Plus I'm sure we all loved what he did to that orc Jake King. I know I did.;)

ledge
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I like Cooney up forward not many will beat him one out and we have Griffen, Libber , Macrae, Crameri, SMith, Hrovat, Stevens, Dalhaus and plenty of others to go in the midfield.
After seeing both Griffen and Cooney in the forward line at once it's obvious to combat the interchange rule we are resting our mids down there.

Hotdog60
26-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I thought I bump would this thread.
I mentioned this in the game day thread but what are peoples thoughts on Adam Cooney taking on Gia super sub role.

I'm not totally convinced on the state of his knee.

So the reason is this:
Save wear and tear on his knee by not playing a full game.
Has more upside than Gia. Can play half back, centre and forward so better replacement for a early injury.
He is a lot quicker than Gia even with a bung knee.
As with Gia he will need to be managed to keep his fitness up but I see a lot of positives and not too many negatives.

Gia starts his coaching playing role at Footscray.

always right
26-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Would be nice if we were overflowing with midfield class. We aren't so he plays as many minutes as possible.

jeemak
26-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I have a suspicion Cooney's knee might be OK, and that he's on the banana lounge at present.

Of course I could be wrong, though in any event he's still doing enough to hold a midfield spot and as AR points out he's the type of player we don't have a lot of.

stefoid
26-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Disposal efficiency on the weekend in the 40s.

Remi Moses
26-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I thought he was very ordinary for a senior player.
The mistakes by hand and foot were plentiful

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Seems to float in and out of games.

F'scary
26-05-2014, 10:04 PM
I thought I bump would this thread.
I mentioned this in the game day thread but what are peoples thoughts on Adam Cooney taking on Gia super sub role.

I'm not totally convinced on the state of his knee.

So the reason is this:
Save wear and tear on his knee by not playing a full game.
Has more upside than Gia. Can play half back, centre and forward so better replacement for a early injury.
He is a lot quicker than Gia even with a bung knee.
As with Gia he will need to be managed to keep his fitness up but I see a lot of positives and not too many negatives.

Gia starts his coaching playing role at Footscray.

Interesting. I think the direction has to be to get more games into the younger ones - Hrovat, Honeychurch, etc. So support you on the Gia point and I think there is a lot of merit in your Cooney point.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Seems to float in and out of games.

Anyone seeing a parallel with Brian's last year, despite being contracted?

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Anyone seeing a parallel with Brian's last year, despite being contracted?

Maybe Hawks looking for someone to help bolster the midfield with Sewell all but gone, Mitchell on his last legs etc.

LostDoggy
26-05-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm probably in the camp that says time to trade him while he still has value and if he wants to go. On the other hand we do need players with his pace; it's just a pity he can't seem to sustain it for a whole game.

azabob
27-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Bizarre move to sign him and then trade him? Surely if a club was interested in him they would have had a look at him during free agency?

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Bizarre move to sign him and then trade him? Surely if a club was interested in him they would have had a look at him during free agency?

Not suggesting that we trade him, necessarily. It's just an observation about Brian's last year and Adam's year so far.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Trade him for what? Pick 47?

He's largely cooked.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Trade him for what? Pick 47?

He's largely cooked.

As above, I never said trade him. I said he seems to be doing only what he wants, when he wants and can look disinterested like Brian did in his last year. Some are taking the next step about a trade. If he was traded, it would be to a Hawthorn type and be 3 selections higher in the first round as Hawthorn have done that fir a few years.

azabob
27-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Not suggesting that we trade him, necessarily. It's just an observation about Brian's last year and Adam's year so far.

Hmmm, yeah, you could be right. I hope not.

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 08:49 PM
:rolleyes: Cooney must've had an average game again.

azabob
28-05-2014, 09:04 PM
:rolleyes: Cooney must've had an average game again.

Hey rooner, you must admit he hasn't set the world on fire?

Hotdog60
28-05-2014, 09:21 PM
I bumped the thread because I think he is still hampered by his knee which is leading to him fading in and out of games.
My theory was to replace Gia as the super sub and preserve his knee for longer time in the game. Cooney is a champion and as others have said he's to good to sit on the pine and it's better to have more game time.
My theory is we get maybe the brilliant Cooney for 40 mins straight rather than 120 min of 5-10 mins here and there.

LostDoggy
28-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Hey rooner, you must admit he hasn't set the world on fire?

No he hasn't been at his absolute best, I don't think anyone expected him to be.

His averages are up and considering he mostly plays out of position, I'm alright with how he his traveling.

Some of us have got itchy trigger fingers, especially with this bloke.

boydogs
28-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Possibly his worst game for the year last weekend but still 19 touches and 2 goals. Few people throwing the baby out with the bath water after we matched it with a top 4 side for 3 quarters

bornadog
28-05-2014, 11:15 PM
No he hasn't been at his absolute best, I don't think anyone expected him to be.

His averages are up and considering he mostly plays out of position, I'm alright with how he his traveling.

Some of us have got itchy trigger fingers, especially with this bloke.

Why would we want to get rid of another Brownlow medalists. This bloke could have easily left us but decided to play his last days with the club and help develop the young midfielders coming through

Scorlibo
28-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Possibly his worst game for the year last weekend but still 19 touches and 2 goals. Few people throwing the baby out with the bath water after we matched it with a top 4 side for 3 quarters

Highly doubt they will make the top 4 but I agree that the calls for Cooney to be dropped are misplaced.

boydogs
28-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Highly doubt they will make the top 4 but I agree that the calls for Cooney to be dropped are misplaced.

They will be tested over the next few weeks, the knock on them is they haven't beaten anyone of note but I don't doubt that they will.

They beat North by 7 goals in Melbourne, which was a worse loss than us losing by the same margin away

LostDoggy
29-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Why would we want to get rid of another Brownlow medalists. This bloke could have easily left us but decided to play his last days with the club and help develop the young midfielders coming through

Exactly. What he is worth to us far outweighs what we would get for him. Playing him as a "Super Sub" is Ridiculous, any thoughts that his knee is finished is just a Cop Out. He is not having the impact he did in the past because he is not playing where he did in the past. Period. Playing him where he is and you can expect the numbers that he is throwing up, if people aren't happy with them I suggest taking it up with the MC. Maybe he has been sulking but he is far from finished.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 09:46 PM
I think threads should be read for what was actually said.

bornadog
06-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Some unusual help for Coon

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-06-05/cooney-talks-trampoline-injury-and-form

Bumper Bulldogs
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
He is a jet and when on song would be in any side in the comp. Maybe not in the top 10 but still better than the bottom 5 of any side

Eastdog
08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
How did you guys rate his game last night?

Hotdog60
08-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Average but he wasn't alone.

meenies
08-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Gets great passes from Griff then buggered it up by crap handpasses or lazy kicks. When in centre showed zero desperation. Looked good when 10 metres clear of the opposition and running goal side.

lemmon
08-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Not great but I still thought he was in our top half a dozen. Went at 80% efficiency and that goal in the last was clutch but I never remembered his decision making in traffic being so poor especially by hand. His only trick is to dance himself out of trouble or he really has nowhere to go. I'd be playing him as a genuine wingman, he can still run and when given space his disposal is good.

Scorlibo
08-06-2014, 06:10 PM
He's working really hard but while he's played as a bits and pieces player we won't get enough from him. He's the sort of guy who needs to be in an attacking mindset 100% of the time. Either he plays as one of the starting midfielders and is given the opportunity to rove the ball off the hitout or tell him to play the remainder of the year as a mid-sized forward.

Spending all his petrol as a link-up player around the ground is not ideal. Coon might be renowned for his outside run and delivery but he does his best work starting in traffic - that's where he's smart and agressive.

angelopetraglia
09-02-2024, 02:40 PM
This come up in my photo memories today. 10 years to the day. I was still buying newspapers 10 years ago! Adam Cooney is nostradamus!

https://i.ibb.co/27q0qL6/cooney.jpg

jeemak
09-02-2024, 03:40 PM
More importantly, how are your walls and floors?

mighty_west
09-02-2024, 03:47 PM
This come up in my photo memories today. 10 years to the day. I was still buying newspapers 10 years ago! Adam Cooney is nostradamus!

https://i.ibb.co/27q0qL6/cooney.jpg

I do feel for young Adam, could have been anything until he stuffed his knee, could have easily gone back to SA but stayed loyal and didn't want to leave but felt he had to (Macca pretty much drove him out), but then to see his best mate Lakey win a flag for Hawks and then us in 2016. Was certainty exciting seeing the big blonde mop bursting out of the centre square.

Rocket Science
09-02-2024, 06:19 PM
More importantly, how are your walls and floors?

Prophetic given they were the stated reasons for Cooney fleeing our decrepit training facilities in favour of Esserdon's delightfully spongy floors.

D Mitchell
09-02-2024, 07:48 PM
..and me thinking that young Adam is not appreciated. Cooney was the best rover, ruck-rover/ever seen at our club Turn on the clappers, Coons.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 08:00 PM
..and me thinking that young Adam is not appreciated. Cooney was the best rover, ruck-rover/ever seen at our club Turn on the clappers, Coons.

From a footy perspective Cooney was terrific but most would agree that he could have got a lot more out of his career.
For a couple of year he was clearly our best player. I believe Eade was at one stage considering him as the captain but thankfully we didn't do that.

Twodogs
09-02-2024, 09:10 PM

Cooney was good alright but the best rover I saw play for us was Brian Royal.

D Mitchell
09-02-2024, 11:46 PM

I once had the privilege of sitting next to Brian Royal during a game and being, quietly, humiliated by his view of the game compared with mine, that was by quarter time ! That said, Cooney was our best ever, but for that knee, he'd have been up there with Ted, Gentleman John and St Christopher Grant. That and his character, quietly loyal to his partner and step daughter, that's all I know about his personal life and a mere additive to his enormous footy talent. To end up at Essendon was the ultimate, undeserved, humiliation.

jeemak
10-02-2024, 10:43 AM
Prophetic given they were the stated reasons for Cooney fleeing our decrepit training facilities in favour of Esserdon's delightfully spongy floors.

And up he pops! :D

jeemak
10-02-2024, 10:48 AM

Interesting career for Royal, a huge amount of highs like the 83 BnF, AA in 86 and the lazy five in a state game swapping on the ball out of a forward pocket.

That he finished on 199 games and 299 goals is awesome for everyone but him. Gun.

Cooney could have won a couple of Brownlows if he didn't bang his knee up. I do feel for him at times, but then I think about the cultural sewer the club was during the Bmac years and how much players like him contributed to it, and temper my sympathies.

Such an amazing, just need to take the good and bad with him.

Uninformed
10-02-2024, 04:10 PM
Loved Adam as a player. He was great to watch at his best.

Also, over a couple of chats I found him to be a very pleasant and surprisingly humble person with a great, if slightly offbeat, sense of humour.

The humble side of him was interesting because he clearly had the most self confidence of anyone in our team at the time including players the ilk of Johnson, Murphy and Griffen. With Cooney he just knew he was good, and perhaps the best. It wasn't self belief for him, it was just a fact, something you knew clearly like knowing water is wet. There was no doubt, but it didn't lend itself to a big ego and he was quite self-deprecating and humble.

I took a lot of interest in him, as well as Farren Ray, and Ryan Griffen (and, sadly, Tom Williams) as watching our gun recruits come on was about the only enjoyable thing in our team performances for a while there.

But for the knee, I think he could have been one of our all time greats.

ledge
10-02-2024, 04:16 PM
His son could be in the red white and blue , which I think he would be happy with , as much as he seemed to have loved the bombers after us I think deep down the bulldog comes out. I think he would have been loyal to us for life except for circumstances (knee being your major one )
I always thought we got rid of him due to knowing he was never going to be great with his knee and the bombers fell for it.
Can anyone remember what or who we got for him ?

bulldogtragic
10-02-2024, 04:30 PM
His son could be in the red white and blue , which I think he would be happy with , as much as he seemed to have loved the bombers after us I think deep down the bulldog comes out. I think he would have been loyal to us for life except for circumstances (knee being your major one )
I always thought we got rid of him due to knowing he was never going to be great with his knee and the bombers fell for it.
Can anyone remember what or who we got for him ?

Biggs was steak knives & a fail with the pick. Hamilton maybe.

Jeanette54
10-02-2024, 06:50 PM
I took a lot of interest in him, as well as Farren Ray, and Ryan Griffen (and, sadly, Tom Williams) as watching our gun recruits come on was about the only enjoyable thing in our team performances for a while there.

I do remember the pre-season match where Adam and Farren debuted for us. I watched Adam, with his trademark backwards exit from a pack, after winning the ball, and Farren drawing opponents into him before releasing our player into space with a handball. I went home thinking we've got something there. Sadly, neither completed their AFL journey with us.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2024, 07:10 PM
Interesting career for Royal, a huge amount of highs like the 83 BnF, AA in 86 and the lazy five in a state game swapping on the ball out of a forward pocket.

That he finished on 199 games and 299 goals is awesome for everyone but him. Gun.

Cooney could have won a couple of Brownlows if he didn't bang his knee up. I do feel for him at times, but then I think about the cultural sewer the club was during the Bmac years and how much players like him contributed to it, and temper my sympathies.

In his first year. Imagine if Sanders did it this year.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2024, 08:01 PM
I do remember the pre-season match where Adam and Farren debuted for us. I watched Adam, with his trademark backwards exit from a pack, after winning the ball, and Farren drawing opponents into him before releasing our player into space with a handball. I went home thinking we've got something there. Sadly, neither completed their AFL journey with us.

Farren did play 200 solid games. So there’s that.

Twodogs
10-02-2024, 08:02 PM

I'll never forget the week after he'd done his knee and we played (I think) Essington at Whitten Oval. Before the game Royal was standing in the players' race when the crowd spotted him. The whole ground started chanting "Choco, Choco" until he limped out onto the ground and turned around to face the Whitten stand. Pretty much the whole crowd stood and gave him a standing ovation because we knew that was going to be it, Brian Royal would never play for the club he'd barracked for since he was a little kid.

I (along with Choco and the entire crowd) might have had something in my eye.

SonofScray
11-02-2024, 01:27 AM
I'll never forget the week after he'd done his knee and we played (I think) Essington at Whitten Oval. Before the game Royal was standing in the players' race when the crowd spotted him. The whole ground started chanting "Choco, Choco" until he limped out onto the ground and turned around to face the Whitten stand. Pretty much the whole crowd stood and gave him a standing ovation because we knew that was going to be it, Brian Royal would never play for the club he'd barracked for since he was a little kid.

Can recall that.

I think only Libba Snr ever got the same treat,ent, though the crowd was willing him back onto the field to Finnish the game of in his last outing.

Stevo
11-02-2024, 05:48 AM

I loved Cooney but Choco was a gun.

Grantysghost
11-02-2024, 01:22 PM
Griffen was our best mid.

There I went and did it.

hujsh
11-02-2024, 02:41 PM
Griffen was our best mid.

There I went and did it.

Cooney was better at his best. Griffen became better for a time.

jeemak
11-02-2024, 04:06 PM
Cooney at his peak was a generational player. Griffen wasn't quite at his level.

bornadog
11-02-2024, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know why Cooney seems like he hates the club and thinks in his mind he is an Essendon Legend?

jeemak
11-02-2024, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know why Cooney seems like he hates the club and thinks in his mind he is an Essendon Legend?

If I could guess I'd reckon it would be like a scorned ex-partner that doesn't like seeing how quickly their ex has moved on, and not only that, gone on to much bigger and better things the moment the relationship was done.

GVGjr
11-02-2024, 07:54 PM

He will change his mind somewhere down the track.
The club has a long history of losing great players to other teams but easing him out of the club was the right thing to do.
He no showed at the East West function last year so he might still be unreliable.

Grantysghost
11-02-2024, 08:29 PM
Cooney at his peak was a generational player. Griffen wasn't quite at his level.
I have it the other away around. Especially in finals.

Cooney was always a panic merchant to me where as Griff was composed under pressure.

josie
11-02-2024, 08:51 PM
Cooney & Griff in top form were both brilliant. I?d have Griff by a smidge, as still remember his form in finals. Cooney knee happened so early on in his career, Brownlow & media career some solace though.

bornadog
11-02-2024, 09:24 PM

Cooney was always a panic merchant to me where as Griff was composed under pressure.

Griff was a great finals player, that is for sure

jeemak
11-02-2024, 09:33 PM

Possibly what I might have said was that at the peak of his capabilities Cooney was a generational talent - and I mean absolute top echelon talent. We didn't see as much of it as anyone would have liked.

Griffen had a few good finals and put together some exceptional seasons for us, but I didn't see anything as dynamic as Cooney in his game even if he was a thoroughbred with his own unique style.

When his downhill slide progressed I agree Cooney lost a lot of burst and that meant he was under pressure more, impacting his decision making and how he distributed it.

josie
11-02-2024, 09:55 PM
Possibly what I might have said was that at the peak of his capabilities Cooney was a generational talent - and I mean absolute top echelon talent. We didn't see as much of it as anyone would have liked.

Griffen had a few good finals and put together some exceptional seasons for us, but I didn't see anything as dynamic as Cooney in his game even if he was a thoroughbred with his own unique style.

When his downhill slide progressed I agree Cooney lost a lot of burst and that meant he was under pressure more, impacting his decision making and how he distributed it.
At his peak when Cooney broke out of middle and streamed forward, with that orange mop of his flying, it was thrilling. I remember an Essendon friend we went to footy with (they do have some decent supporters!!) he thought Coons was amazing too.

Grantysghost
11-02-2024, 10:39 PM
At his peak when Cooney broke out of middle and streamed forward, with that orange mop of his flying, it was thrilling. I remember an Essendon friend we went to footy with (they do have some decent supporters!!) he thought Coons was amazing too.
Until he went and played for them xD

Man he copped it from the Dons fans I know.

SonofScray
11-02-2024, 10:56 PM

Please reconsider your choices Josie.

jeemak
11-02-2024, 11:05 PM

As individuals they can be perfectly fine, but it's when you get them together that they activate into something else. And if there are more of them in a group than a combination of anything else it just gets horrible.

Ugly losers, even uglier winners.

bornadog
11-02-2024, 11:39 PM
As individuals they can be perfectly fine, but it's when you get them together that they activate into something else. And if there are more of them in a group than a combination of anything else it just gets horrible.

Biggest whingers in AFL on umpire decisions

jeemak
12-02-2024, 12:00 AM
Biggest whingers in AFL on umpire decisions

And injured players. Every injured Bombres players is worth two of every other team's.

Think I might watch the highlights of the 2021 qualifying final before hitting the hay for the night......

josie
12-02-2024, 12:20 AM

Ha ha. I did say some. Hate them as a club, especially since Essendope.

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 09:08 AM

Something about those colours.

Also, how are the Bombers still pc? They wreak nothing but death and destruction.

I'm cancelling them xD

Actually if we were called the Bombers we would have been cancelled by now and called the Hobson Bay Float Planes or the like.

D Mitchell
12-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Ha ha. I did say some. Hate them as a club, especially since Essendope.
Your image matches mine, Cooney with the ball bursting out of the middle, turns on the after burners and leaves everyone in his wake and there's Hall on the move to just the place where Cooney expects him to. There's a dichotomy between Essendon the club and the supporters. It's the club I dislike, keeping North and Footscray out of the VFL to retain recruiting areas, the smug "war chest" days, trying to recruit Hawkins, McPherson et alia when the club was on its knees in 1989, Sheedy's "sh.t club" jibe, the industrial level dope cheating and, to be fair to it, a tinge of jealousy at its Premierships haul. The supporters, en masse, are no worse than others, they don't worry me, [in my best Edna Everidge] "why, some of my best friends..."

Scraggers
12-02-2024, 05:33 PM

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Adam right before our 2016 Elimination Final against Wet Toast. He was doing some commentary for Krock and some corporate gigs and quarter and half time. I spoke with him for about 20 minutes, and he had a kick-to-kick with my son. The first question he asked of me was "How do you think we will go tonight?" I gave him a quizzical look as he was playing for Essendrug at the time. He saw it and said that he "would always be a Bulldog at heart". I asked him about the comments in the media he was making at the time, its all for show baby (he added).
I still think his blood runs red/white/blue ... everything we see in the media is a ruse.

Bulldog4life
12-02-2024, 05:36 PM
I read that Coons say he hopes doggies pick his son in his draft or words to that effect.

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Yeah Nah I've spoken to Brian Lake and those two really are sour on the dogs.

Funny story, Coons built a house next door to me. Never moved in, sold it for a loss and now it's worth three times what he paid for it.

azabob
12-02-2024, 06:28 PM

Funny story, Coons built a house next door to me. Never moved in, sold it for a loss and now it's worth three times what he paid for it.

Sounds like Cooney is still in front..

Sorry GG couldn’t resist.

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 07:06 PM
Sounds like Cooney is still in front..

Sorry GG couldn’t resist.
I lolzed!

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExYjUzemJlYWRiOHJ0ZHhmdjhlZWZ2ZGV5amVrcGRse WFpOHVuemVrdyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/VLe9cJCjYWXLy/giphy.gif

D Mitchell
12-02-2024, 08:02 PM

How were you able to talk him down and is your SMSF still tax exempt ?

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 08:36 PM
How were you able to talk him down and is your SMSF still tax exempt ?

I wish it was me, he built it and then never occupied.