PDA

View Full Version : Footy family secrets

Dry Rot
23-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Any footy skeletons in your family closet?

Many here seem to come from Dogs families, but there's probably some with a bad uncle who goes for the Pies, a sister who goes for the Tigers or maybe you're the black sheep in an otherwise all Bombers family?

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Not one.

They either support the Dogs or they're out.

Simple as that.

aker39
23-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Please hold back from throwing bottles at me, but I am a former AFL umpire.

Topdog
23-10-2007, 05:25 PM
former AFL umpire or former Australian Rules umpire? Where did you umpire?

My brother and father are Collingwood Supporters.

My wife is refusing to buy into the Bulldogs as after she arrived we lost all 7 games. Life sucks :)

aker39
23-10-2007, 05:26 PM
former AFL umpire or former Australian Rules umpire? Where did you umpire?

I umpired 6 AFL games in 1997.

The Underdog
23-10-2007, 05:37 PM
My great grandfather played for Collingwood, not sure if he played seniors or not.
Have a great picture of the team on a trip to Sydney at the Rocks, with Coventry and TW Sherrin in it. Fortunately I'm cleansed of any tainted blood.

Topdog
23-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Wow that's quite cool. My brother is an umpire but never got to such heights.

I have a friend who is a current although soon to be ex AFL umpire and another mate who is doing quite well in the VFL but is too young for AFL.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Not the Preliminary Final I trust???????????????

aker39
23-10-2007, 05:55 PM

No, I sat in the stands with my family, watching in agony.

Raw Toast
23-10-2007, 06:02 PM
You must get asked this a lot Aker39, but how do you react to poor decisions by umpires when you're at a dogs game (decisions against us that is :)).

Dry Rot
23-10-2007, 06:06 PM

I've heard he was a goal umpire in that match.......

The Coon Dog
23-10-2007, 06:08 PM

A39, what was the most memorable AFL senior & reserves game you umpired & why?

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 07:10 PM
My great uncle played for i think it was Braybrook and almost won the Liston Trophy but got reported for saying 'bloody hell' and was out for a match. He polled the most votes aswell. My grandma always tells me that story, i think shes more bitter than he is:D

mackem
23-10-2007, 07:49 PM
My father-in-law was a Carlton supporter as is my sister-in-law.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Well my grandparent are from Footscray, and they barracked for the Doggies for years. They had 10 kids, (one including my Dad) and im quite sure all 10 go for the Dogs, almost definate. Well so its been a few generations.

My kids BETTER BLOODY GO FOR THE DOGS!! Im 17, and dont exactly HAVE kids, but when i do, my partner will have absolutely no say! Haha im definate on that already.

Anyway, a few of my great uncles and aunties and uncles (not blood related) go for other teams, Geelong and Collingwood mainly. They're a minority though, with most of the Tribe (baha thats our last name) long time Doggies supporters. It's a Tribe tradition :)

GVGjr
23-10-2007, 07:56 PM
My father-in-law was a Carlton supporter as is my sister-in-law.
Have they been doing it tough over the last 3 years but are now eagerly waiting for next season?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-10-2007, 08:50 PM
hmmm it makes me feel dirty to just writing it, but two of my sisters support Collingfilth and Carlscum respectively. They're not big footy fan's just chose one the "successful" clubs in the late 70's.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 09:11 PM
One of my good friends has the misfortune of being the only normal person out of her entire family.
Her family of seven go for the Pies, she is the sole Doggies supporter. Poor kid.
Ah well, good to see she'll grow up normal.

Twodogs
23-10-2007, 09:32 PM
In my family we had a Darwinian attitude to football. If you decided to barrack for anyone else but Footscray, you stopped being fed. Hunger concentrates your mind on what's important in life.

Max469
23-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Mother, Father & 3 sisters - North Melbourne

2 Brothers - Collingwood

16 nieces & nephews - 15 follow either - Collingwood, Carlton, Geelong, Hawks or North but ONE loves his Auntie so follows the mighty bulldogs.

36 great nieces or nephews - some too young to understand - But TWO follow the mighty bulldogs.

Sockeye Salmon
23-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Well my grandparent are from Footscray, and they barracked for the Doggies for years. They had 10 kids, (one including my Dad) and im quite sure all 10 go for the Dogs, almost definate. Well so its been a few generations.

My kids BETTER BLOODY GO FOR THE DOGS!! Im 17, and dont exactly HAVE kids, but when i do, my partner will have absolutely no say! Haha im definate on that already.

Anyway, a few of my great uncles and aunties and uncles (not blood related) go for other teams, Geelong and Collingwood mainly. They're a minority though, with most of the Tribe (baha thats our last name) long time Doggies supporters. It's a Tribe tradition :)

Not related to George Tribe by any chance?

aker39
24-10-2007, 09:46 AM
A39, what was the most memorable AFL senior & reserves game you umpired & why?

My most memorable AFL senior game would have to be my 1st - St.Kilda v Essendon at the G in front of over 50,000.

And my most memorable reserves game would be the 1994 Grand Final between the Bulldogs and North Melbourne. The dogs had some future stars playing that day in Darcy, Johnson and I think Smith.

Go_Dogs
24-10-2007, 01:56 PM
My great grandfather played for North, and half my family originates from Victoria, so I have one uncle who is a Roos man, a cousin who supports Essendon. Living in Adelaide my dad, step dad, mum etc all support the Crows.

I have got my little kid brother onto the Dogs bandwagon though. We are the lone Dogs supporters.

Crizza
24-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Sadly I have Richmond supporters in the family. My grand dad trialed as a ruckman with Richmond pre the second world war, but Dyer was far too physical and grand dad left with his tail between his legs and went on to served in the Air Force. He suppourts the Tigers as does my Auntie, Uncle and Cousin.

Dad is a Dees man, ironically he now lives near Werribee and I live in inner south east surburbs so we possibly should swap teams? I don't think so.

Mum goes for the saints.

My two brothers, one goes for the Dees (Old Fitzroy, only Mlebourne sicne the merger), and the other supports North.

My wife and her family are all Sydney fans and think Barry Hall is handsome!

Importnatly My 16 month old daughter is a bulldog member!

Mixed bag really!

firstdogonthemoon
24-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Mum was a Carlton supporter. She died about 15 years ago. I dont think there is any connection between those two things though.

My cousin tried out for the footscray reserves he tells me, now he runs Kellogs in the UK so go figure.

The husband of the principal at my daughter's school played a few games for geelong back in the day.

westdog54
24-10-2007, 06:34 PM
My 9 year old cousin succumbed to peer pressure at School and became a *sigh* Collingwood supporter.

We've had fun with it though. Her first ever game (as well as her younger brother's first game, he now wants no 21 on his back) was the Bulldogs v Collingwood game this year. She was nice and vocal at half time but for some reason went quiet toward the end of the day:p. And whenever she comes over to our place we just put the video of last years Qualifying final up on the Plasma in the loungeroom. Great fun.

JeanClaudeVasDeferen
24-10-2007, 06:36 PM
One of my cousins played for Essendon back in the early Eighties... his whole family goes for the Bombers. My wife is from a split family... half Collingwood, half Hawthorn. She barracked for the Hawks until she was 19 or 20... then I got hold of her! She loves the Doggies now, as do the three junior Vas Deferenses!

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2007, 07:01 PM
My sister has 6 children and a Richmond supporter for a husband.

Their oldest and no. 5 are Richmond
Nos. 4 & 6 are Bulldogs

Nos. 2 & 3 are twins, Jaimee is a Bulldog and Allie is a Bomber.

Allie met Peter Bell at her school (when he was still with North) and decided to be a Kangaroo supporter - fair enough I sez, North did the work, North get the fan. I took them to a Bulldogs-North game, bought them flags and got their face painted. Allie cried when North lost but uncle Sockeye was dancing on the seat with Jaimee, singing 'Sons of the "Scray' and didn't notice.

In 2000, Allie decided that Essendon were winning all the time so she would start to barrack for them. Not acceptable.

I told her then I would never take her to the footy again and I never have.

katemeehan
24-10-2007, 07:11 PM
My sister once moved sides to the Demons a few years ago, because she wanted to get on mums good side. And she has never been fully accepted back by me!
Calls herself a true supporter...pfft

aker39
25-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I go to the footy every week with my son, mum, sister, 3 brothers, 2 sister in laws, 3 nephews, 1 niece, 1 aunty and 3 cousins - all bulldog supporters.

My wife goes to the footy every week with my daughter, her mum, dad, sister, niece, nephew and aunty - all Cats supporters.