PDA

View Full Version : Game Day NAB Challenge - Western Bulldogs V St. Kilda

Eastdog
17-02-2014, 01:48 PM
All game day discussion for our first match of the year and for the pre season against St Kilda down at Simonds Stadium.

Cyberdoggie
19-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Cooney is the stand in captain for tonight.

Stringer, Cordy, Redpath, Jong, Crameri, Macrae, Stringer, Campbell all playing.

Eastdog
19-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Any woofers heading down to Geelong tonight for the match. Looking like a wet one tonight. The smaller players will like these type of conditions.

Axe Man
19-02-2014, 06:39 PM
It's going to be a wet one:
Hope we kick with the tide!

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 06:41 PM
I was going to head down given it's only a 25 min drive, but the conditions are horrendous. Fox Footy it is.

Drunken Bum
19-02-2014, 07:08 PM
If anyone has any information about where i could watch this could i get a PM? I don't have foxtel and not keen on a pub, i would like to sit by a stream somewhere and watch it if at all possible ;)

LostDoggy
19-02-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm going, ground good to go! 30 min delay.

Go dogs.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Well it looks like the game is on.

Dogs by 19 points

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 07:53 PM
If there is more rain it'll be called off.

I'd almost rather it be called off at this stage. Injuries galore waiting to happen.

It doesn't say much for Geelong's ground/drainage - games shouldn't be played there in the future until it's upgraded.

lemmon
19-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Surely they can't play in that? Not worth the risk

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 07:56 PM

I'd almost rather it be called off at this stage. Injuries galore waiting to happen.

It doesn't say much for Geelong's ground/drainage - games shouldn't be played there in the future until it's upgraded.

The drain got blocked which caused the issue. The ground isn't the problem

LostDoggy
19-02-2014, 07:57 PM

Check twitter, looks ok and def playable

Maddog37
19-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Less injuries on a wet ground than a bone dry one IMHO.

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Less injuries on a wet ground than a bone dry one IMHO.

Agreed. The stoppage count does goes up though so there will be some sore boys after this one, especially considering it's the first hit out but I'd rather this than playing on asphalt.

Don't care about the result I just want to see this Injuries: Nill.

Eastdog
19-02-2014, 08:34 PM
What's the crowd number you reckon for anyone who's there.

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 08:47 PM

20-25 people. :)

Eastdog
19-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Looking good so far. Lachie Hunter with 2 goals already. Wouldn't get carried away as we are playing a very very poor St Kilda side.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm enjoying this. The physical development of a few of the boys is noticeable.
Tom Campbell's beard is a ripper as well.

lemmon
19-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Attractive footy! Using it bloody well and smashing them in the contest

Eastdog
19-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Attractive footy! Using it bloody well and smashing them in the contest

Agree Lemmon. It has really been a complete performance so far.

lemmon
19-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Really happy with the quarter from Ayce in the ruck. Was good in the hitouts, looked athletic and threw his body around in the contest. Moved better than I've seen for awhile

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Really happy with the quarter from Ayce in the ruck. Was good in the hitouts, looked athletic and threw his body around in the contest. Moved better than I've seen for awhile

I'm still hopeful we can get something positive from Ayce. These types of games are important for him.

Eastdog
19-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm still hopeful we can get something positive from Ayce. These types of games are important for him.

Do you look forward GVGjr Campbell developing as our next forward.

chef
19-02-2014, 09:19 PM
scores?

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 09:20 PM
scores?

5 goals 3 to 1 goal 2

chef
19-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks G.

My wife has to watch MKR, so I have to watch the game after that:mad:

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks G.

;) I thought it was strange. Hmmmm, married to a chef and watching MKR. :confused:

By the way the game is on SEN.

Webby
19-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Here's a radical idea, Foxtel: How about you interview that albino budgie St Kilda captain some other time and call the f%^%ing game of footy!

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Here's a radical idea, Foxtel: How about you interview that albino budgie St Kilda captain some other time and call the f%^%ing game of footy!

Yeah real frustrating.

From the commentary booth to the comical display from umpires, if the Bulldogs weren't around I wouldn't bother following this sport.

Back to the game. Campbell really impressive. Lot of bomb and hope in the 2nd term. Out ran and out worked for the entire quarter.

LostDoggy
19-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Bout 3k maybe hard to tell lol actually perfect night for watching footy breeze
Just picking up to 5 knots

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks G.

Under the thumb! :D

hujsh
19-02-2014, 09:46 PM

It's bad enough to be losing the quarter but 'St.Kilda Time with special guest Nick Riewoldt' makes it just unbearable

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 09:47 PM

I was going to hook the tablet up to the TV but couldn't because of my wife watching this silly show. She won this battle but I'll win them all come regular season.......hopefully. :)

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 09:47 PM
It's bad enough to be losing the quarter but 'St.Kilda Time with special guest Nick Riewoldt' makes it just unbearable

Very irritating how Fox show the commentary or coaches box and miss the start of play from stoppages/throw ins/kick ins.

Remi Moses
19-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Don't get why they do this!
Fans want to know about the new players and a bit of a background, not listening to Captain Cliche

Twodogs
19-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Agree strongly. He's such a *!*!*!*!ing boring git too. All the likeability and warmness of a dead spider sitting on a turd.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2014, 10:01 PM
FFS. Hrovat in the rooms with ice on his jaw.

chef
19-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Happy wife, happy life;)

bulldogtragic
19-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Tutty looks a bit harder (inside) so far, great to see.

Wood looks very rusty, very slow in deed.

Jong with double digit tackles, and Macrae with double digit contested possessions. Nice.

Ghost Dog
19-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Well done lads! Always love beating the Saints at any end of the season. My prediction of Dahlhaus being the goal kicker of the year is off to a flyer.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Well done lads! Always love beating the Saints at any end of the season. My prediction of Dahlhaus being the goal kicker of the year is off to a flyer.

Good prediction GD. I think Dahlhaus is in for a good season

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 11:05 PM
I hate seeing some real horrid hospital disposals. First game at all but gotta have more awareness. Tutt's attempt to get his team mate killed was one of the worst I'd seen in a while.

Jong was super impressive. Man that kid is as tough as old nails.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Stinger is such a strong beast given his age. Within the next couple of years he is going to be a handful for the opposition sides.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Who did you rate as the better players? I was impressed with Macrae, Stevens and Dahlhaus.

G-Mo77
19-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Who did you rate as the better players? I was impressed with Macrae, Stevens and Dahlhaus.

Liked Campbell's first half, died off in the 2nd. Loved Jong's game, Libba excellent as usual.

bulldogtragic
19-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Liked Campbell's first half, died off in the 2nd. Loved Jong's game, Libba excellent as usual.

Yeah agree, Jong has the courage and good tackling technique. Once his skills develop and improve then he could be a real bolter this year.

The debate about who is better from pick 5 and 6 (2012) should be a cracker in the years to come.

Doc26
19-02-2014, 11:15 PM
The football smarts of Hunter are impressive. Ahead of his years. Libba is elite.

LostDoggy
19-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Agree strongly. He's such a *!*!*!*!ing boring git too. All the likeability and warmness of a dead spider sitting on a turd.

I liken him to Nathan Buckley. The personality of a wet mop.

Back to the game:

It was very hard to derive too much from this game. Shit conditions, even worse opponent, practice match, etc. etc. the reasons to discount the game just keep piling up, but from what we did see (with exception to the second quarter), I think we can be fairly pleased.

Stringer does not handle the wet conditions well at all, but contested hard.
Jong was great on the tackling, kept himself in the game.
Young did one or two things wrong, but his strength and composure were fantastic.
Campbell has harnessed the Power Of The Beard and played a good game.
Libba is soon to become the victim of his own success, where he's so good you discount any game with less than 30 touches and 45 tackles. :)
Ayce showed a bit, but was happy they subbed him off.
Macrae was the stand-out of the game to me, his reflexes are absolutely lightning fast. He seems to react that split second faster than everybody around him.

Happy to beat the Saints. Disappointed we didn't get to beat me up some Riewoldt, but otherwise a nice way to spend a Wednesday evening.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Stinger is such a strong beast given his age. Within the next couple of years he is going to be a handful for the opposition sides.

I really believe he can be in the top 5-10 players in the competition after a few more pre-seasons.

As for tonight, not too much to take out of a game in conditions like that, disappointing Hrovat got injured, but at least it's only meant to be 2 weeks.

- Libba was a cut above the rest by some margin IMO. Just about a flawless, complete game.
- Stevens was exceptional. Tough, spread well and used it well.
- Dahlhaus looks in great nick. Very quicky, sharp, smart and skillful.
- Hunter faded a bit, but looks set for a very good year. I'm a big, big fan.
- Macrae was super impressive. The ability to evade and his vision is great.
- Campbell was very good early when the ball was relatively dry.
- Wallis was prominent especially early.
- Redpath showed some nice signs as a key defender.
- Cordy looked much better in the ruck and competed well.

Negatives?
- Hrovat's injury.
- Foxtels coverage.
- Pickens decision making/disposal.
- Tutt.
- Pearce.

LostDoggy
19-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Negatives?
- Tutt.

He had some moments, but I thought he competed well enough. He still has to prove himself next week to be in the mix for Round 1, but he hasn't put a cross through his name either.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2014, 11:24 PM
He had some moments, but I thought he competed well enough. He still has to prove himself next week to be in the mix for Round 1, but he hasn't put a cross through his name either.

For his 2 or 3 decent moments, he had about 6 or 7 awful moments.

Saw him pull up/out of a few contests and his decision making/skill level is still ordinary at best. It's no secret I am not a fan, but I'll be surprised if he plays more than 2 games this season (barring a surplus of injuries)

Twodogs
19-02-2014, 11:26 PM

Dalhaus, Macrae, Libba were 321 for mine.

I liked Campbell's game although he went a bit silly and tried to do everything for a while in the second quarter. I really liked Cordy's game and he went to the very end. Tutt took some steps forward too I thought. He's trying to take the game on a bit he ran really hard for some balls tonight.

The Doctor
19-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Thought Tutt, Cordy, Redpath, Pearce, Jong were out of their depth

Thought Hunter, Stringer, McCrea, proved they are ready to step up

Thought Stevens will be a gun

Thought Crameri needs to get fitter, fast!

Doc26
19-02-2014, 11:32 PM

Fitness or lift in work rate ?

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Fitness or lift in work rate ?

Would it be hard to lift the work rate if you don't have the fitness base?

The thing that interests me about Crameri is that he has performed well in the 2km time trials but I think he is still underdone given he missed a bit of the preseason.

GVGjr
19-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Really looking forward to the game against Fremantle.

I wonder which players can be added?

Doc26
19-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Would it be hard to lift the work rate if you don't have the fitness base?

The thing that interests me about Crameri is that he has performed well in the 2km time trials but I think he is still underdone given he missed a bit of the preseason.

Hopefully you're right. Is obviously very early days and I am a supporter of Stewie. If there was a criticism of him at Essendon last season it was with his work rate. That being said, it was undoubtedly an unprecedented environment down there last season.

lemmon
19-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Libba easily best on, don't need to say anymore.
Liked Macrae's game, my criticism last year was that he needed to do a touch more with the ball, thought he ticked that box tonight, used it well and adventurously.
Cordy went some way to proving he is a ruckman, competed hard around the contest and was good in the taps, rag dolled a Saints mid at one contest on the wing which was a shock.
Stevens very good,tough and clean.

Dickson was close to our worst for me, that shot from 50 with free men in the middle was horrendous.
Older guys all seemed to glide through, they know what its about this time of year,

Happy with what was on show for the first hit out

always right
20-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Thought Tutt, Cordy, Redpath, Pearce, Jong were out of their depth

Thought Hunter, Stringer, McCrea, proved they are ready to step up

Thought Stevens will be a gun

Seriously? I thought Jong was one of the positives.

Stevens used the ball well for a change and Boyd looks like he appreciates not being burdened with the captaincy. Campbell was great early and Young and Talia very solid down back. Libba the standout.

Crameri was disappointing and Pearce was a massive letdown.

Twodogs
20-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Oh yeah I meant to mention Talia too. He looked much more composed with the ball on his hands and often found a target by foot when previously he would have shanked it forward.

Hotdog60
20-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Do or die for Redpath, he just might benefit from our VFL side by having a dedicated role and playing at the higher level of the VFL.
Does he come under the big man scenario in which it takes longer to develop. He is a good size for a player but needed to get more of the ball.

Maddog37
20-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Boyd was excellent late in the game. Jong was very good and I thought Pearce whilst making a few mistakes, took the game on and showed some dash.

Mofra
20-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Bout 3k maybe hard to tell lol actually perfect night for watching footy breeze
Just thought I'd mention the paper says the crowd was 2900 so that turned out to be a good estimate

soupman
20-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Not a bad performance, weather didn't really make for a good game.

Dahlhaus and Hunter are going to be very dangerous off half forward this year. Two players that are very dangerous running towards goal, are very good crumbers and I never really feel like they are out of the contest.

Very happy with Talia's game, he positions himself for intercepts really well and he and Stringer both play in front for the rushed kicks that fall short that should be pretty plentiful with the contested style we play.

Cordy looks noticeably stronger physically and competed pretty well, there's hope yet.

Stevens was very physical around the contest and was probably the leader in the shrugged tackles department, of which there were a lot of our players. It was pleasing to see us get our hands free in almost every Saints tackle and completely wrap them up going the other way.

Go_Dogs
20-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Solid first hit out, and whilst it wasn't a consistent performance, there was a lot to like in patches and most players who took the field all had a few positive moments.

Without trying to rehash to much of what has already been said, for me the positives were:-

Stringer - looks a different shape, looks thinner in the face (maybe that's the hair?) but looks more ready to have a consistent impact this season. His leap and attack on the ball in the air is very impressive, very clever player, looks set for a good second season.

Hunter - so clever, composed and just thinks his way through situations so well for such a young player.

Campbell - continued his great attack on the footy, really going to be hard to match up on him for opposition sides.

Macrae - some clever short passes, more prepared to see ball/win ball - looks set for a big year.

Cooney - looked good, again some clever work by foot and looks like he could be in for a big year.

Stevens - played a very tough game, looked clean with his disposal and looks in good shape physically - thought he looked a tad quicker than he did at times last year. He can become an important cog for us. (Edit - just had a look at the stats - 95% efficiency! Incredible in those conditions)

Overall our contested and clearance work was again solid, our entries into F50 looked better, with players leading to the ball, creating a contest and crumbers well positioned to take advantage. We also looked to find players with short passes who were leading into space.

Looking forward to getting along to Etihad next week for our next match.

Ghost Dog
20-02-2014, 11:34 AM
It's interesting seeing Boyd and Cooney with the longer hair, running freely. That Boyd grab from the pack and snap took me back in time. Running freely and enjoying his footy. Looking good Matty.

always right
20-02-2014, 11:42 AM
A little surprised at the positive reviews of Cooney's game. I thought he spent most of the night fumbling....no doubt contributed to by the conditions. One other observation....could not believe how much bigger Campbell is, particularly in the legs. He's going to be a difficult match up.

Murphy'sLore
20-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Dahl seemed to be running even faster, now he's not weighed down by all that hair.

Scraggers
20-02-2014, 12:38 PM
I watched the second half live, and then the first half on replay.

St.Kilda are in for a world of hurt over the next season and a bit ... Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

Like others on here, impressed with the younger brigade. Our centre will be led by Libba jnr. ... I predict he will be All Australian for the next five years to come (at least) ... He is a jet !!!

I've been a big critic of Boyd; but the fact that we are so much stronger in the guts, he has been freed from the tag he used to always get. The goal he kicked in the last taking the ball straight from the ruck contest really blew the game away from the Aints.

Big fan of Tom Campbell !!!

Crameri looked to be more of a cling-on, not really understanding our play or our players nuances. He'll get there and will be a great addition. I was surprised that Stringer looked just as big as him.

Good first hit out ... looking forward to round 1

Templeton31
20-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I watched the game on Foxtel from go to whoa. Observations:
- first quarter impressive. as Macca said before the game the conditions meant a lot of structures and approaches to play we have been practicing all summer were deemed irrelevant by the weather and conditions but none-the-less in the first quarter you could see a lot on display.
- Campbell, hunter showed what they could do. I expect they will at times this season but also go missing at other times. Maybe next year we could expect consistent output.
- dalhaus looked a cut above it and stepped into the game with class when needed.
- cooney, morris, boyd looked like just easing into thing as you'd expect.
- steven and especially macrae might have taken a step towards consistent better output.
- talia will be a terrific CHB for a long time.
- I was impressed with Jong. Right spots, big body, strong, good tackles, seemed to keep going all game. Would have been in the bests if he'd taken that mark in the last and dobbed the sealing goal.
- dunno what to make of Redpath. My first thought when he was on the ground was 'why is this guy on the list still?' but then he seemed to bob up in the right places regularly and his speed to get back when the saints were running onto goal in the last was impressive. Looked like a rabbit in headlights when he had to dispose of the ball though.
- saints for the spoon this year. behind GWS IMHO.

Twodogs
20-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I thought that was as well as I've seen Matty Boyd play for a while.

always right
20-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Couldn't agree more. A couple of clangers but dare I say he was one player who showed some poise in difficult conditions. We forget how good a player he can be and it looks like he could sneak under the radar of teams as their focus turns to Griff and Libba.

LostDoggy
20-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Always great to have a win over the saints. Impressive first qtr pity we couldnt sustain it. Just hope this injury run doesnt continue, Hrovat another one :-( On the plus side depth is looking very good.

And just have to say can't believe how good Libba is!!! :-)

Templeton31
20-02-2014, 01:36 PM

think he will benefit from libba and griffen becoming our opposition's no 1 targets for being tagged. i noticed that happening a bit late in 2013.

Twodogs
20-02-2014, 01:48 PM
They showed Brett Goodes playing almost like a goalkeeper a couple times last night. Standing in the goal square when there was a contest. Just like an old fashioned fullback.

soupman
20-02-2014, 04:10 PM
What did everyone think of Wood?

I thought he was ok, looked to take them on when he got it as he should, and used it ok. Big year for him, he needs to take the next step.

LostDoggy
20-02-2014, 04:18 PM
think he will benefit from libba and griffen becoming our opposition's no 1 targets for being tagged. i noticed that happening a bit late in 2013.

Teams putting their tags on Libba and Griffen, Cooney will be licking his lips....

bornadog
20-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Thankyou for all the updates. Currently on holidays up North of Cairns, so didn't see one kick.

always right
20-02-2014, 05:41 PM
What did everyone think of Wood?

I thought he was ok, looked to take them on when he got it as he should, and used it ok. Big year for him, he needs to take the next step.

Did a couple of nice things but generally pretty quiet. Good news is his hamstrings didn't pop.

josie
20-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Agree with Twodogs ax, except I also thought Koby Stevens was good too and for all 4 qtrs (I think he was on all 4 qtrs) and thought Ayce's improvement was marginal only but geez I hope he proves us all wrong. I feel I deserve a medal for driving down there through the Mlb city traffic & that rain. But hey - I'll take a win instead even if it is pre-season.

Loved Jong's ferociousness - he just needs to be sure he is not over zealous a I can see umpy's giving free kicks against him for his tackles due to in the back calls (caused by player falling forward intentionally). Loved the fact the umpies put the whistle away (mostly).

Go Dogs !!!

josie
20-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I think Easton Wood got better as game went along - he did a few brave things and read ball well in Q3 & Q4 from memory.

LostDoggy
20-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Teams putting their tags on Libba and Griffen, Cooney will be licking his lips....
All he needs to do now is have a hair cut as that looks terrible.

boydogs
20-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I didn't like hearing McCartney saying that we didn't get a chance to put in place the structures and such we had practiced due to the conditions - I realise you need to switch gears in wet weather but what he should have said was it was a good opportunity to practice wet weather football - after all, you can't just turn on the rain when you feel like it. We jumped out of the blocks but the Saints won by 22 points after quarter time, I know we play at Etihad a lot but I hope we are prepared for wet weather footy.

He did question our consistency though, which was good - we are professionals and need to play like it, and bring our best to every quarter in every game, no matter the weather, days between games, traveling away or with injuries. We don't want a generation of primadonna Etihad specialists.

dog town
20-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Not at all worried about Crameri. He gets most of his touches either bursting into space by out working defenders or by running back into space. If it wasn't wet he would have kicked 2 goals where he has got goal side of his opponent. That's where most of his goals come from. Not great conditions for him.

Every time Stevens plays well or even ok I feel like he is dominant but when you look at the stats he always has less than you thought. Looks really good at the moment.

Thought Tutt was ok but his attack on the ball is clearly an issue at times. Almost got himself killed at one point.

KT31
20-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Not at all worried about Crameri. He gets most of his touches either bursting into space by out working defenders or by running back into space. If it wasn't wet he would have kicked 2 goals where he has got goal side of his opponent. That's where most of his goals come from. Not great conditions for him.

Every time Stevens plays well or even ok I feel like he is dominant but when you look at the stats he always has less than you thought. Looks really good at the moment.

Thought Tutt was ok but his attack on the ball is clearly an issue at times. Almost got himself killed at one point.

Can't remember who it was but one of his kick nearly brought back the rain and got one of our blokes killed.

Excited about Crameri, as you say not his conditions and will be a great pick up for us.
We just have to remember he is not the Messiah but another step in the right direction.

stefoid
21-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Stevens worked pretty hard - 6 marks on a wet day and contributed well to the scoreline.

Morris is hilarious - most every other player on the field had one or two 1%-ers and he had 12.

jeemak
21-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Stevens worked pretty hard - 6 marks on a wet day and contributed well to the scoreline.

Morris is hilarious - most every other player on the field had one or two 1%-ers and he had 12.

He's such a goody two shoes.

Remi Moses
21-02-2014, 03:24 AM
I didn't like hearing McCartney saying that we didn't get a chance to put in place the structures and such we had practiced due to the conditions - I realise you need to switch gears in wet weather but what he should have said was it was a good opportunity to practice wet weather football - after all, you can't just turn on the rain when you feel like it. We jumped out of the blocks but the Saints won by 22 points after quarter time, I know we play at Etihad a lot but I hope we are prepared for wet weather footy.

He did question our consistency though, which was good - we are professionals and need to play like it, and bring our best to every quarter in every game, no matter the weather, days between games, traveling away or with injuries. We don't want a generation of primadonna Etihad specialists.
The issue is it hasn't rained in Melbourne for 3 months.
Think the wet suits our contested style.

Remi Moses
21-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Some observations
Stephens was terrific as was Libba.
Macrae is going to be a super player.
Thought we should have been out of sight at quarter time.
Jong's going to be one of those players who people will think isn't up to it, but he could prove people wrong.
Hard to be a forward in those conditions.
Pearce has improve his decision making ( that turnover in the last term was awful)
If you can have a comfortable 10 point win, that was one.
Great of fox footy to torment us with that prelim final.

whythelongface
21-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I was pleased with what I saw on Wednesday night. Kept up the momentum from late last year in terms of contested footy. Our first Qtr was excellent and whilst our 2nd Qtr was pretty poor we were able to respond well in the 3rd and 4th qtrs.

Some promising signs from some players which alot of posters have already touched on.

Macrae - he is going to be special. The kid just reads the game so well at this early stage of his career. I am super excited about his future with our team.

Stevens - whilst he has had some weaknesses in regards to disposal it certainly didn't show on the night. Hopefully he has worked on these weaknesses in the off-season. He is a strong unit who can break tackles. Really pleased with his game.

Campbell - again showed good signs, though faded later in the game.

Stringer - he will be an excitement machine in years to come. I reckon in a few years we will pinch ourselves that this kid slipped to no. 5 in the draft.

Talia - looked solid in defence - another we can key in for a long term future.

Libba and Wallis - were both excellent, in particular Libba.

It is also good to see Boyd without the responsibility of being captain. As others have stated if Cooney and Boyd are given more freedom this year, watch out.

Super excited about the season ahead. Whilst not expecting many more wins than last year (maybe 2 to 3) I am really looking forward to the continued development of our team.

ratsmac
21-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I liken him to Nathan Buckley. The personality of a wet mop.

Back to the game:

It was very hard to derive too much from this game. Shit conditions, even worse opponent, practice match, etc. etc. the reasons to discount the game just keep piling up, but from what we did see (with exception to the second quarter), I think we can be fairly pleased.

Stringer does not handle the wet conditions well at all, but contested hard.
Jong was great on the tackling, kept himself in the game.
Young did one or two things wrong, but his strength and composure were fantastic.
Campbell has harnessed the Power Of The Beard and played a good game.
Libba is soon to become the victim of his own success, where he's so good you discount any game with less than 30 touches and 45 tackles. :)
Ayce showed a bit, but was happy they subbed him off.
Macrae was the stand-out of the game to me, his reflexes are absolutely lightning fast. He seems to react that split second faster than everybody around him.

Happy to beat the Saints. Disappointed we didn't get to beat me up some Riewoldt, but otherwise a nice way to spend a Wednesday evening.

I think Riewoldt has heard our new policy and decided not to play, which is Liam Picken must knock him out everytime we play Stkilda.

ratsmac
21-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah I meant to mention Talia too. He looked much more composed with the ball on his hands and often found a target by foot when previously he would have shanked it forward.

I really like Talia. He seems to know his limitations and tries to stay within them as much as he can. I like this from a defender.

ratsmac
21-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Stevens - I loved Stevens game. Clean hands when others were fumbling the wet footy.
Libba - The man is a beast. Just gets the job done.
MaCrae - Silk. We knew he had outside football but he also can go get some inside too. Excitement +
Campbell - Or should I say Dempsey. Solid but faded.
Dalhaus - He was everywhere it seemed. Certainly knows where the sticks are. No dreads no worries!
Boyd - I am guilty of being on Boyd's back but he was great. Looks to have shedded a few kg's or it's the long do, but he looks young and fit.
Hunter - Nous, do this kid have football nous! He is always thinking and aware whats going around him. He's going to have a great highlights package at the end of his career.

Cyberdoggie
21-02-2014, 01:53 PM
There's a good "inside the pack" video on the dogs website showing the downpour on the field and the water flowing into the change rooms. Worth a look.

Remi Moses
21-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I think Riewoldt has heard our new policy and decided not to play, which is Liam Picken must knock him out everytime we play Stkilda.

Speaking of the diving cheat, while fast forwarding that 09 prelim last term there was an incident I stopped when he collapsed a pack marking contest like a game of ten pin bowling.
As per usual no whistle!
Yes I am bitter

G-Mo77
21-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Can't remember who it was but one of his kick nearly brought back the rain and got one of our blokes killed.

There was a handpass as well. I just don't see an AFL player in Tutt. He panics so much with or without the ball, rabbit in the spotlight comes to mind. IMO we should have cut our losses in the off-season and moved him on. The club is more in tune to what he provides than I do so I trust their judgement.