PDA

View Full Version : A new tradition.

Twodogs
18-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I've thought for a long time that the club could kick the season proper of with an intra-club practice match on the hallowed turf. Some of my favorite football memories stem from intra-clubs. Gia in his first preseason bitch slapped Libba after he'd had enough of him.

Now that we've got the Footscray/Westernbulldogs matchup we've got a chance to build a new tradition. If we publicised the game and played it at around the same time each year we could generate some interest.

Western Bulldogs v Footscray to kick the season off. Is it worth doing or am I off with the fairies as usual?

bulldogtragic
18-02-2014, 12:41 PM
I might spend some time of this. My initial reaction is hell yeah, but while starting to type this I was thinking of the cricket 15 years ago having Australia play Australia A, especially in the finals where Australia made Reiffel 12th man and cost the A Side any chance of winning.

The age profile of people that love and know Footscray are different to fans over the past little bit. So that would need to be managed, but a carnival of our club, ex-players, tours of the museum, etc, might make it any event. A spirit of club as well, I remember Rohan and Brad signing my posters and autograph book whilst on the bench, giving kids that window to our past traditions is a good thing. Not having kids I don't really go to the family days anymore as it's not really my cup of tea, but something like you've mentioned would get my undivided attention.

The more I'm typing the more I see it TD. If we are losing members hand over fist each year, perhaps trying to get them to the ground and expose them to more than whatever the media feeds them about us might help in explaining membership to the dogs is a lifetime commitment, we need you when it's good, we absolutely need you when it's not and that being on the journey and understanding where we've come from might make a few more stick??

I'm looking forward to reading this thread this afternoon.

Murphy'sLore
18-02-2014, 01:00 PM
My other half, who is a less whole-hearted supporter than I am, fired up with excitement when he found out about this match. Which might be a good sign?

Mofra
18-02-2014, 01:19 PM
The age profile of people that love and know Footscray are different to fans over the past little bit. So that would need to be managed, but a carnival of our club, ex-players, tours of the museum, etc, might make it any event. A spirit of club as well, I remember Rohan and Brad signing my posters and autograph book whilst on the bench, giving kids that window to our past traditions is a good thing. Not having kids I don't really go to the family days anymore as it's not really my cup of tea, but something like you've mentioned would get my undivided attention.
I think you're hinting at something that has a lot of merit - an annual Footscray vs Western Bulldogs game could well become the pseudo family-day for people who don't have kids and it may well become quite a big day.

Extra dollars through the pound cafe, good chance to sign up for memberships in person, getting a chance to see the entire list in action - the day holds a huge amount of potential.
It's far more palatable to sell alcohol at a practice match instead of a family day so there is bar potential as well.

Greystache
18-02-2014, 01:33 PM
If we were able to get upwards of 5,000 to a scratch match of Reds vs Blues, I can see something more formal between the two teams of the club being exceedingly popular amongst the fans. I think as the final hitout before the season starts, or as the precursor to the start of the NAB whatever would be perfect.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2014, 01:35 PM
I just had a stupid brain wave. I was reading the calendar for my local farmers market. Not sure if Footscray has one??

Is there enough room around the ground to cope with 1,000 attendees and also to have stalls of some sort. Some stalls that bring a different demographic to the ground who our staffers might be able to convert into members. My father in law runs a farmers market for rotary, it makes A LOT of money when you consider it's a gold coin entry, sausage sizzle, drinks and stall holder fees. Probably dumb but my mind was in farmers markets when I thought I'd see the feedback of this thread.

bornadog
18-02-2014, 01:54 PM
I just had a stupid brain wave. I was reading the calendar for my local farmers market. Not sure if Footscray has one??

Is there enough room around the ground to cope with 1,000 attendees and also to have stalls of some sort. Some stalls that bring a different demographic to the ground who our staffers might be able to convert into members. My father in law runs a farmers market for rotary, it makes A LOT of money when you consider it's a gold coin entry, sausage sizzle, drinks and stall holder fees. Probably dumb but my mind was in farmers markets when I thought I'd see the feedback of this thread.

You could put the market in the carpark area. Its a brilliant idea - send a note to the club.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-02-2014, 01:58 PM

great idea it would gvie two reasons to go both very wholesome and community based and as you say introduce a different demographic to the oval and footy. It would add an element of the carnival or community celebrations as well. Especially if there is not already a farmers marked in Footscray (it is blessed with markets). Speaking of being random and lateral, how can we introduce the old slaughter yard image into the club? The slaughter yards were such a part of the history of the region and the symbol of the slaughter adds teeth, guts and gore to the Bulldog image.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2014, 02:03 PM
You could put the market in the carpark area. Its a brilliant idea - send a note to the club.

Done. I haven't sent them anything direct for years since Cam left. They can make of it what they will I guess.

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Intra clubs of days gone by have been pretty well supported by loyal fans. I think the evening games were probably bigger but even the Saturday morning ones were great occasions.
There was even the day when the ground was being redeveloped and it was a lockout due to safety concerns.
The rain was bucketing down and people were doing anything to get a glimpse of the action.
I remember I was standing on top of a big green council rubbish bin on the other side of the fence, near the scout hall. I could see about 20% of the ground and the trucks wizzing past nearly blew me off the slippery bin.

Twodogs
18-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Intra clubs of days gone by have been pretty well supported by loyal fans. I think the evening games were probably bigger but even the Saturday morning ones were great occasions.
There was even the day when the ground was being redeveloped and it was a lockout due to safety concerns.
The rain was bucketing down and people were doing anything to get a glimpse of the action.
I remember I was standing on top of a big green council rubbish bin on the other side of the fence, near the scout hall. I could see about 20% of the ground and the trucks wizzing past nearly blew me off the slippery bin.

Hehe! I remember waving to you from the Whitten stand.

Twodogs
18-02-2014, 03:03 PM
I really like the Farmer's market idea. Perhaps make it a footy themed Farmers market-along with fresh produce, there could also be a couple of memorabilia stands or the Bulldog shop could time it to coincide with the annual member's sale?

Link it to membership. Every year each club has a day set aside in the media for their member drive. It's all good news in the print media and SEN do a few interviews and mention the member hotline every 15 minutes and push the renew/join up message pretty hard.

We could gave them a game to talk up. And not just any game. This is the annual intra club practice match!

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2014, 04:17 PM
We could gave them a game to talk up. And not just any game. This is the annual intra club practice match!

With a guaranteed victory! (unless there are horrible injuries!)

SonofScray
19-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I've seen clubs put on a fan fest, convention type thing in the USA. A traditional, intraclub hit out at home with special guest speakers, cultural activities, inner sanctum tours, presentations, etc could be a huge day on the calendar. A bit of "pep rally" atmosphere where the whole Club, not just the team are on show.

Twodogs
19-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I've seen clubs put on a fan fest, convention type thing in the USA. A traditional, intraclub hit out at home with special guest speakers, cultural activities, inner sanctum tours, presentations, etc could be a huge day on the calendar. A bit of "pep rally" atmosphere where the whole Club, not just the team are on show.

I like it. A big rah rah just before the season starts.

strebla
01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
And try to get past payers who don't get to the club often there. It would be great to have say Crofty one Fozzie walking around Jose with Dimma that type of thing just walking the outer spruiking our club.i like the idea of the farmers market too with a couple of things for the kids aswell maybe.i think the the bigger the demographic we can get there the better what about a couple of cultural dances pre-game for the Africans and the islanders to get them through the door and open them up about what the club means to the west Or am I going too far I don't know but it's a great way to sell our club!!!

Twodogs
04-03-2014, 08:49 PM
And try to get past payers who don't get to the club often there. It would be great to have say Crofty one Fozzie walking around Jose with Dimma that type of thing just walking the outer spruiking our club.i like the idea of the farmers market too with a couple of things for the kids aswell maybe.i think the the bigger the demographic we can get there the better what about a couple of cultural dances pre-game for the Africans and the islanders to get them through the door and open them up about what the club means to the west Or am I going too far I don't know but it's a great way to sell our club!!!

It's a great idea. We could get the Chinese to march on the ground with the Dragon as well.