PDA

View Full Version : Game Day NAB Challenge Match 2 - Western Bulldogs V Fremantle Etihad Stadium

Eastdog
24-02-2014, 12:58 PM
For all your game day discussion for our 2nd match of the NAB Challenge coming up this Wednesday.

LostDoggy
24-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Expect to face a full strength Dockers.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Maybe it's me, I'm super pumped for the roller coaster this season, and I will watch this game on the tele, but I have such a lack of motivated interest about this designed for TV format of practice matches.

I could live with it if (as the players and their union want) there was a couple of representative matches to break it up. Those games would be at the bigger venues so the players would be in fact better off injury (risk) wise than something that wasn't Adelaide Oval, MCG etc. I mean just because a bank has soooo much money it is choosing to sponsor practice matches doesn't equate to needing or being able to engage in it. Maybe we can get a bank to sponsor our inter club games (we can call it the Western Derby) or even training. And Foxtel can stream it live with Dunstall bagging our players and Dwayne Russell spewing garbage. I can't wait for Eastdog to start the thread for our round 1 team and to have a real conversation about our club putting up 22 players to smack our opponent in a real game.

Axe Man
24-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Squads:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
3. Mitch Wallis, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Shaun Higgins, 8. Stewart Crameri, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jackson Macrae, 12. Tom Williams, 13. Daniel Giansiracusa, 15. Jason Tutt, 17. Adam Cooney, 19. Liam Jones, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 25. Koby Stevens, 26. Lachlan Hunter, 27. Will Minson, 29. Tory Dickson, 31. Tom Young, 32. Michael Talia, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johanissen, 42. Liam Picken, 43. Jack Redpath, 44. Brett Goodes, 45. Tom Campbell, 46. Lin Jong

FREMANTLE
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 3. Zac Dawson, 4. Colin Sylvia, 6. Danyle Pearce, 7. Nat Fyfe, 9. Matt de Boer, 10. Michael Walters, 11. Tommy Sheridan, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 15. Ryan Crowley, 16. David Mundy, 17. Hayden Crozier, 18. Luke McPharlin, 19. Scott Gumbleton, 20. Matt Taberner, 21. Michael Barlow, 22. Tanner Smith, 23. Chris Mayne, 24. Max Duffy, 27. Lachie Neale, 29. Matthew Pavlich, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 32. Stephen Hill, 33. Cam Sutcliffe, 34. Lee Spurr, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Jack Hannath, 41. Paul Duffield, 46. Clancee Pearce

IN: Shaun Higgins, Tom Williams, Daniel Giansiracusa, Jason Johannisen, Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones

OUT: Fletcher Roberts, Daniel Pearce, Nathan Hrovat, Matt Fuller, Sam Darley, Ayce Cordy

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2014, 02:01 PM
It'll be nice to see Higgins and Williams get a run, assuming they play.

I'd like to see Jong and Redpath be given another crack at it, whilst I'd also like to see a bit of Honeychurch. The last two probably unlikely as we take a near full strength squad in.

Twodogs
24-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Suprised to see Darley listed in the outs. I didn't know he'd played in the first game.

Axe Man
24-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Darley, Fuller and Honeychurch were in the squad for the St Kilda game but didn't make the final side.

Remi Moses
24-02-2014, 02:23 PM
No griffen? Being cautious,or they're not telling us about an injury.

Remi Moses
24-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Would have thought with Pierce out Darley or Fuller might have got a run.

Hot_Doggies
24-02-2014, 04:21 PM
No griffen? Being cautious,or they're not telling us about an injury.

Back issues, all over the news a few weeks back.

Remi Moses
24-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Back issues, all over the news a few weeks back.

They said it was minor and he'd be back this week.
Probably being cautious

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Griffen will probably only play the last NAB game and/or the Intra club game and he'll be right for round 1.

You don't need to take your Ferrari out of the garage too often, especially when your only going to the shops and not the race track!

Go_Dogs
24-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Griffen will probably only play the last NAB game and/or the Intra club game and he'll be right for round 1.

You don't need to take your Ferrari out of the garage too often, especially when your only going to the shops and not the race track!

Agreed. Not concerned about him at this stage and given the hammering he'll cop over the season I'm happy to see him start slow.

Really looking forward to Wednesday night, great to be back at the footy.

GVGjr
24-02-2014, 10:52 PM
This team is quite a bit stronger than the one selected to play the saints

Wiliams, Jones, Roughead, Goansiracusa and Higgins should add a bit to the side.
Fuller not selected again and Cordy dropped is a bit of a surprise.

I'm looking forward to this game.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2014, 11:43 PM
This team is quite a bit stronger than the one selected to play the saints

Wiliams, Jones, Roughead, Goansiracusa and Higgins should add a bit to the side.

I'm looking forward to this game.

Having seen Fuller a couple of times at training, he looks a little green.

I thought Darley would have got a crack at it in either the first or second game.

Mantis
25-02-2014, 01:38 PM

You couldn't see us playing all of Cordy, Jones, Campbell & Williams in the same team could you?.. Especially given Minson will play significant minutes.

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2014, 06:42 PM
You couldn't see us playing all of Cordy, Jones, Campbell & Williams in the same team could you?.. Especially given Minson will play significant minutes.

Cordy up against Sandy? .....that would be .....interesting.

GVGjr
25-02-2014, 07:18 PM

I thought they might have had another look at him maybe at Campbells expense even for half the game.
I'm still trying to see where Cordy is placed in the pecking order as we seem to commit to him being a long term project player but then don't utlise these pre-season games to test him out.

Happy Days
25-02-2014, 08:50 PM
I thought they might have had another look at him maybe at Campbells expense even for half the game.
I'm still trying to see where Cordy is placed in the pecking order as we seem to commit to him being a long term project player but then don't utlise these pre-season games to test him out.

I'm trying to not be a smart arse in saying this but how much impact would trying to develop a player in such a key role who doesn't pan out have in the long run?

I feel like these hours spent on Cordy could be better spent on Campbell; not to say that the two can't be developed concurrently, but knowing then what we do now, I would have liked all the game gifted to Cordy last season be given to Campbell.

GVGjr
25-02-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm trying to not be a smart arse in saying this but how much impact would trying to develop a player in such a key role who doesn't pan out have in the long run?

I feel like these hours spent on Cordy could be better spent on Campbell; not to say that the two can't be developed concurrently, but knowing then what we do now, I would have liked all the game gifted to Cordy last season be given to Campbell.

I think we have a fair idea of what Campbell offers us in the short term and really it's just a matter of getting him very fit. Cordy on the other hand seems to be a player that we don't know what he is capable of. Do we just use him during the season as required or test the waters with him during the preseason games and see if he can improve?

We seem to want to commit to Cordy but then just bring him in for a small taste of it.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Whats your prediction for tonights game? I'll go with a 2 goal win by the Dogs with Higgins kicking the first goal and Roughead the best player.

Dry Rot
26-02-2014, 07:05 PM
For those without Foxtel, any other ways of following the game live? Radio?

bulldogtragic
26-02-2014, 07:06 PM
for those without foxtel, any other ways of following the game live? Radio?

woof.net.au :)

Dry Rot
26-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Whats your prediction for tonights game? I'll go with a 2 goal win by the Dogs with Higgins kicking the first goal and Roughead the best player.

Game should be interesting - Freo may be a bit fired up after being touched up by their West Coast friends last week. Fielding a strong team too.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 07:14 PM
For those without Foxtel, any other ways of following the game live? Radio?

SEN, 3AW and ABC Grandstand I believe. Not 100% sure about ABC

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Williams and Higgins as the subs. There goes my first goal kicking chance.

Redpath, Tutt and Jones are the emergencies.

Mitch Honeychurch is playing tonight. Looking forward to that

Twodogs
26-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Us by 15 points and Tom Liberatore BOG.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Williams and Higgins as the subs. There goes my first goal kicking chance.

Redpath, Tutt and Jones are the emergencies.

Mitch Honeychurch is playing tonight. Looking forward to that

Terrific to see Honeychurch getting a game. I would have liked another game of Redpath, but he'll get his chance in the VFL seniors every week to impress.

Interesting Jones hasn't been selected.

Dry Rot
26-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Thanks for that.

Interesting to see how they use Williams tonight.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that.

Interesting to see how they use Williams tonight.

He's a sub but yes does he play forward or back?

The Underdog
26-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Looks like the crowd could get comfortably into the hundreds

bulldogtragic
26-02-2014, 08:11 PM

If you include the venues staff, easily.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 08:20 PM

It's very quiet.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2014, 08:23 PM
It's very quiet.

I think JJ will be THE player story this year. Gee he looks good.

My boy Honeychurch with our first.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 08:25 PM

My boy Honeychurch with our first.

Did we start up the Honeybadgers supporter group BT? You normally lead us in those endeavours.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 08:26 PM

I think Macrae is looking like he belongs as well.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 08:29 PM
It's a tough slog but we are going okay.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Did we start up the Honeybadgers supporter group BT? You normally lead us in those endeavours.

Still working on it G, while squirrelling away on In Zaine in the Brian.

I started Jones and Hrovat, and pumped up Eagle and Grant. I thought someone would have jumped at him by now, I didn't see him last year and was unsure where or if he would go. But as you've no doubt read, some watchers loved him like we will come to.

Maybe a word play on 'church'? The disciples of the Honey Church, maybe we have a bible?

Thoughts?

ReLoad
26-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Freo make me want to poke my own eyes out. They are a blight on the game.

Ross Lyon needs to be deported immediately for the sake of all football lovers around the country.

Twodogs
26-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Great. Dan Lonergan groaning and tutt tutting through the game.

bornadog
26-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Do the players learn how to hand ball?

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Stevens looks in ripping condition.

What does everyone think of our endeavour so far?

bornadog
26-02-2014, 09:12 PM

much better quarter than the first. Freo still catching us out with the overlap when we lose possession in the forward line. Coney looking great.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Pressure and tackling really is top shelf tonight.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Looking good so far. Stevens looks in great nick, but I get worried for our other players safety when he goes in hard.

Some nice moments from Cooney.

Our structure from opposition kick out looks to be improved, although after the Cooney behind we gave them an easy out and they went coast to coast. Need to consistently structure ourselves.

Is it just me, or does the cold at Etihad feel like we're in the middle of winter?

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Pressure and tackling really is top shelf tonight.

There was some great tackles that quarter. Williams did a great one when he first got onto the ground

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Looking good so far. Stevens looks in great nick, but I get worried for our other players safety when he goes in hard.

Some nice moments from Cooney.

Our structure from opposition kick out looks to be improved, although after the Cooney behind we gave them an easy out and they went coast to coast. Need to consistently structure ourselves.

Cooney has been sensational. Turning back the clock

Is it just me, or does the cold at Etihad feel like we're in the middle of winter?

It's cold but you will be in for a shock when it really hits :)

Go_Dogs
26-02-2014, 09:31 PM
There was some great tackles that quarter. Williams did a great one when he first got onto the ground

It was good to see both he and Higgins have a bit of an impact.

Shaun looks a good shape, really hoping this can be a consistent year for him.

What are everyone's thoughts on Honeychurch? I've been impressed thus far.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Seeing the Gumbleton injury again I really feel for the guy. It's a little easy to be more sympathetic now that he's out of the scum colours but I find it hard not to feel sorry for him.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Seeing the Gumbleton injury again I really feel for the guy. It's a little easy to be more sympathetic now that he's out of the scum colours but I find it hard not to feel sorry for him.

It's a real shame for him. I feel the same for him

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 09:40 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on Honeychurch? I've been impressed thus far.

Very happy to have him in the side. I think he will develop nicely this year

jazzadogs
26-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Not able to watch, but based on stats it doesn't seem like Crameri has done a lot. Thoughts on how he's being used and what effect he is having on our structure/the game?

Sounds like Stevens is having a ripper. Loves a goal.

ledge
26-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Speaking of Crameri ... Goal

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Decisions like that one against Young is really puts you off the current game. My goodness?

bornadog
26-02-2014, 09:58 PM
A pathetic free kick against Young and they goal

AndrewP6
26-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Bad miss from Crameri just inside 3 qtr time.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 10:06 PM
It's been a struggle this quarter. Mistakes have hurt us

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Bad miss from Crameri just inside 3 qtr time.

Yep and Freo take it coast to coast.

Lost the lead.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Not our best but the effort has been consistent. Some really solid contests and a great way to build into the season.

Hoping we can finish off well and walk away with the win.

ledge
26-02-2014, 10:12 PM
So who does everyone think is our weakness?
From what im hearing on the radio it seems Tom young. We have Griffen to come back who is likely to make way ?

bornadog
26-02-2014, 10:15 PM
So who does everyone think is our weakness?
From what im hearing on the radio it seems Tom young. We have Griffen to come back who is likely to make way ?
Don't listen to the radio.

weakness is still the forward line and an inexperienced backline

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Getting cut up now. Disappointing finish.

ledge
26-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Our delivery into the forward line is letting us down at the moment

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Freo on a run, it will take a super effort to reel them back in now.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Nice work for that goal.

Impressed with Stringer tonight. Not sure what he's done on the stat sheet but has looked pretty slick.

Great clunk by Campbell.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2014, 10:30 PM
We've improved, but we've still got some way to go. Our decision making and execution for almost 3 qtrs was very good. However as the Freo pressure lifted we've not been able to maintain the same level.
Freo I think kicked 6 or 7 unanswered goals at one stage. We need to cut that down and not let sides get on sustained scoring runs.
Our inability to convert our opportunities is also something we need to improve. Freo have kicked 8.2 to our 2.7 since we held a 22 point lead.

1eyedog
26-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Nice work for that goal.

Impressed with Stringer tonight. Not sure what he's done on the stat sheet but has looked pretty slick.

Great clunk by Campbell.

Pity about the kick - we've missed a heap of shots tonight but we've given ourselves loads of opportunites to kick them which is pleasing.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm being honest here. Zac Dawsom is one of my favorite opposition players to watch.

bornadog
26-02-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't think Goodes is in our best 22, at best he is a backup.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Probably a horses for courses selection if he's in there IMO. He's been exposed tonight by a few speedsters at Freo.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Frustrating to watch Easton Wood miss that goal.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 10:41 PM

He's been poor tonight. That kick out error in the first quarter seemed to set the tone.

He would struggle to make the 22 on tonight's form

bornadog
26-02-2014, 10:43 PM
He's been poor tonight. That kick out error in the first quarter seemed to set the tone.

He would struggle to make the 22 on tonight's form

on the other hand love to have a Walters in the team.

Overall we showed some positives , we are still inexperienced and would have learnt a lot. Remember we played the second best team from 2013

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:46 PM
That long direct kick and run and spread from Freo really cut us up all night. Disappointing finish in the end, great to have a good hit out against quality opposition early in the year.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 10:49 PM
That long direct kick and run and spread from Freo really cut us up all night. Disappointing finish in the end, great to have a good hit out against quality opposition early in the year.

They executed it so well. How many coast to coast goals did they get?

Go_Dogs
26-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Disappointing last quarter. Goal kicking let us down.

Overall some good signs to take away. Cooney and Stevens good. Macrae getting a lot, Stringer adds a lot. A few guys got through and got some touch in Williams and Higgins. Honeychurch looks a good selection.

And still a lot of improvement ahead.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2014, 10:51 PM
They executed it so well. How many coast to coast goals did they get?

Yep. At times we set up ok but I think they got 3 or 4 like that. We just need to stay switched on and cover the easy exits.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Too many poor players told in a poor second half.
Young Talia Goodes and Picken were poor in defence. Stevens and Macrae were outstanding in a team that lacked the majority of our team to play out four quarters.Wood Higgins Williams and Jong didn't measure up. We lack the experience and class of Griffen and Murphy whilst Grant is needed in attack which for the most part struggled.After a competitive first half it was frustrating to see the fall off kicking just two goals to the Dockers 10 goals after half time.

mighty_west
26-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Frustrating to watch Easton Wood miss that goal.

He was never going to kick that goal, more frustrating for me was Crameri's misses, he just has to nail those set shots.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Yep. At times we set up ok but I think they got 3 or 4 like that. We just need to stay switched on and cover the easy exits.

It's times like these I really find it hard to find to pick out the issue because I'm not at the game. Whether it was, execution, work rate or speed that broke our defence down I really don't know. I've always found our defence against teams that have that long direct kick quite poor. Our forward zone gets cut up often and frequent and usually notice our spacing is off.

GVGjr
26-02-2014, 11:08 PM
He was never going to kick that goal, more frustrating for me was Crameri's misses, he just has to nail those set shots.

I think he would have missed that goal 2 out of every 3 shots but really he should be making it 3 out of 4.
Crameri is off the pace at the moment but even allowing for a few things he shouldn't miss those shots.

I'd still like to see a forward line that has Crameri, Jones, Grant and Stringer.

bornadog
26-02-2014, 11:11 PM
I think he would have missed that goal 2 out of every 3 shots but really he should be making it 3 out of 4.
Crameri is off the pace at the moment but even allowing for a few things he shouldn't miss those shots.

I'd still like to see a forward line that has Crameri, Jones, Grant and Stringer.

I think Crameri is still learning our game style and will settle in. He did some nice things tonight, and on a few occasions he used his strength to push the opposition out of the way.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-02-2014, 11:13 PM
A good hit-out leading into round one. There were some positives to take out of the game, and there's obviously still a lot to work on. I think this game against elite opposition will hold us in good stead for the start of the season.

Our effort was pretty consistent throughout the game but some fundamental errors both in execution and decision making let us down badly. Even though it's only pre-season, some of the errors are quite frustrating. The most disappointing part about tonight, for mine, were our continual defensive lapses. Fremantle fumbled a bit tonight and really could have punished us more if they were cleaner. We looked extremely unaccountable and easy to play/transition against at times. This has been a weakness since the beginning of the rebuild and although it has been a focus over pre-season it was very poor tonight.

The amount of space afforded to Fremantle was mind boggling from a structure point of view. I wasn't at the game so it was difficult to see how we were setting up, but the "loose man" play certainly didn't help us going forward. Added to this, we clearly missed some easy shots at goal too - an area that needs improving.

Our defensive pressure/work rate was very good in the second quarter and we saw what came as a result.

My opinion of player performance:

Wallis - Solid performance. I'd like him to be cleaner with his hands at times but his effort is very good. Starting to really use his body well in contests too.

Boyd - Decision making and skill execution at times were woeful. As always, he did have a positive impact too though. Simply needs to find a way to minimize his costly basic errors.

Dahlhaus - Thought he was quiet tonight, did some nice things too though.

Higgins - First game back so I don't want to be too harsh but I thought he was very, very poor. His decision making was average (long kicks to nobody) and his intensity at the contest/opposition was non-existent. Good to see him back out there, but he's a mile off it at the moment.

Crameri - He doesn't look fit. Not sure why, given he's always mentioned as one of the better runners. Better performance than last week but missing two shots he should kick really lowered his overall performance. He did do some nice things though, laying some strong tackles and competing in the air.

Stringer - Quiet, but I like the education we gave him tonight by playing him behind the ball. Did some nice things, although he needs to flatten his kicks out - too many loopy hospital passes.

Wood - Quiet with a few disappointing misses.

Macrae - Outstanding. Just heard David King say he wouldn't be surprised to see him (or Libba) win a Brownlow. Big wraps, but he deserves 'em. At one point he was getting tagged by Crowley, such was his influence. He just rarely makes an error, despite not being the greatest user by foot in the world. So much composure and makes the right decision.

Williams - Looked very, very rusty.

Giansiracusa - Defensive game lacking leaves us vulnerable, as does his propensity to over commit to certain contests, but as always he bobs up with a few goals because he's such a smart footballer.

Cooney - A huge positive. Had an inspiring second quarter, looked like he did back in 2008. Electric pace, good skills, strong and evasive. Kicked one beautiful goal and nearly out did himself not long after. Great signs.

Libba - Not as good as he was last week, but the 'judgement ceiling' is quite high with Tom. He's always contributing and looks set for a huge year.

Honeychurch - I really liked what I saw. A lot of energy, a bit of mongrel. Very nice first goal and I thought he contributed well. Made some good decisions and clearly likes going in hard. I was quite impressed.

Roughead - Will be better for the run.

Stevens - Best on ground in the first half, he did fade a little after that. Looks set for a big year. He's starting to look like a complete mid - he's extremely tough, a great tackler but he also spreads very well and uses it well. Seems to be finding more of the ball (obviously fitter) and gut runs. Like him a lot.

Hunter - Like Dahl he was a little quiet, but still made some really good efforts and should be in for a strong season ahead. Going to be a special player.

Minson - Fantastic first half, but got dominated by Sandilands in the second half. Will be better for the run. Looks pretty lean, fit and strong - nothing to worry about.

Dickson - He really, really, really struggles when moved up the field. His decision making is dreadful in traffic, but just when I'm ready to announce he might not be in our best 22, he'll win a great one on one contest forward of the centre. Needs to do more though.

Young - Very poor for the second week running. I wonder if Darley or Fuller will get an opportunity next, because Young has been poor.

Talia - A couple of nice efforts, but he was pretty ordinary. At times he looked clumsy and coughed up goals when he really shouldn't have. Just when you think he's off his game, though, he'll make a really good spoil. Young player who still has a lot to learn but he'll get there.

Morris - Thought he was beaten today, but as always keeps on keeping on.

JJ - His pace and decision making is excellent. A couple of skill errors that he wouldn't usually make, but it's no secret I am a big fan. Quiet tonight but showed enough for his first game back.

Picken - Poor. Along with Young, I don't have him in our 22 at the moment. His decision making and skill execution is dreadful and this is emphasized when he's played down back. He really isn't a defender - it has to be tagging mid or VFL in 2014.

Goodes - Ordinary game with a host of silly errors and poor defensive work. It's unfortunate that we have 3 players (Goodes, Young, Picken) who have put in 2 poor weeks and all are small/medium backs - an area we're light on. Goodes needs to keep things simple and be much better defensively.

Campbell - Quiet and didn't quite do enough, although he still made a contribution at times with his willingness to compete.

Jong - Quiet but made some strong tackles.

G-Mo77
26-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Excellent write up TBB

Hotdog60
26-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Higgins needs to improve a lot for a senior player. He did some nice moves but wasn't hard enough when it was required. If he dished up that effort in round 4 or 5 I'd drop him. Just giving him a bit of grace on the fact its only a practice match and he has missed a lot of football.
I think it was to some extent a hard game and we got worn down, Freo have some very quick players.
Plus signs I think were Stevens, Cooney, Macrae and Wilbur did very well for 3 quarters against Sandilands.
Goodes, Young and Dickson struggled even though Tory got a bit of the ball he just seemed to be slow to get rid of it when need.
Overall a good hit out against Freo who had 20 players from last years finals side.

always right
27-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Thought Young and Dickson played themselves out of our round one side whereas Stevens and Hunter deserve their place. Loved our first half intensity, as well as the games of Cooney and McCrae. Disappointed in a couple of Higgin's non-efforts particularly the uncontested goal to Suban.

lemmon
27-02-2014, 12:33 AM
Was at the game tonight and was very quiet. Cooney, Stevens and Macrae the pick of our guys, didn't think Higgins was as bad as others have said, wasn't great but there was one contest on the forward flank right in front of me where he really went hard, head over the footy and won it for us.

Sandilands was the difference in my eyes, got on top after half time, looked too strong for Campbell which is not something that will happen often.

Stringer attacked the contest in the air but lacked a run I thought, his gait really wasn't great towards the end which is probably a fatigue issue but it is a concern.

Hunter and Dahl dangerous when they got the footy, Dahls' ability to halve a contest is as good as just about anyone bar Cyril Rioli.

Williams looked mobile, didn't get a heap of it but he moves like a hit up Centre Half Forward, hopefully Hansen locks him in a room and teaches him running patterns because he could play a similar role to what Ashley did at West Coast.

Not a lot you can take out of the last half of footy to be honest, we really had to work hard for our goals and needed another tall target with Campbell in the ruck and Stringer behind the ball, would've liked to see Jones down there to straighten us up.

kruder
27-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Kudos goes to Stevens tonight is a round 1 lock now. He looked like a Cross clone last year which I still think is a good thing, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Corssy interesting to see where he ends up.

The Doctor
27-02-2014, 12:19 PM
On a side note, how awefull was the commentary team?

Frawley and Dunstall should never be allowed in a box together. Campbell his usual hideous annoying self. Then to rub it in an elongated interview with Wayne Campbell that went on and on interspersed with Frawley's self indulgence of their heyday (what heyday?) whilst the play was in progress. Even my mild mannered Mrs asked "who are these idiots babbling on"!!

EasternWest
27-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Kudos goes to Stevens tonight is a round 1 lock now. He looked like a Cross clone last year which I still think is a good thing, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Corssy interesting to see where he ends up.

That's high praise k man. I hope you're right.

Thanks for the write-up TBB.

I'm not overly concerned with Higgins at this stage. My expectations of him are pretty low to be honest. It sounds like the criticisms of him are more of the same, but I'm glad to see he made it through unscathed. I think more forceful action might need to be taken if those same problems continue in the season proper.

whythelongface
27-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Frawley and Dunstall should never be allowed in a box together. Campbell his usual hideous annoying self. Then to rub it in an elongated interview with Wayne Campbell that went on and on interspersed with Frawley's self indulgence of their heyday (what heyday?) whilst the play was in progress. Even my mild mannered Mrs asked "who are these idiots babbling on"!!

Absolutely disgraceful. It was like listening to a conversation at the pub. I had to turn the sound down as I just could not handle it.

craigsahibee
27-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I've said it before, but it looks like Dickson plays with an invisible bungy cord tied to his waist and anchored to the goal line. The further from goal he travels the slower he looks, not just in his movement but also his decision making. Dickson, along with Goodes and Young are not in our best 22. Worried about Picken too.

Axe Man
27-02-2014, 12:37 PM
It's unfortunate that we have 3 players (Goodes, Young, Picken) who have put in 2 poor weeks and all are small/medium backs - an area we're light on.

I hope we give Darley and Fuller an opportunity against Carlton because there should be positions up for grabs in the backline due to the disappointing performances of those 3 players thus far.

always right
27-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Was really impressed with our tackling last night however there were occasions where we missed a crucial tackle that allowed them to open us up. I recall that on at least two occasions Johnson was able to get past the bulldogs tackling player running out of defence which meant he was then able to hit targets without any pressure. Have a feeling it was McCrae who missed the tackles. He's already improved a heap but will need to address this as he is too easy to get past. Expect this to happen as he continues to get stronger. Also need to work on his pace off the mark.

whythelongface
27-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Thought we performed quite well last night. Some real positives - MacRae, Stevens, Cooney, Wallis, Libba in particular. Our tackling and general pressure was good. Disappointed in our defence work from the kick-ins - significant improvement needs to be made in this area.

Overall some real optimism leading into the season and a finish between 9th and 12th is certainly on the cards.

always right
27-02-2014, 12:42 PM
I hope we give Darley and Fuller an opportunity against Carlton because there should be positions up for grabs in the backline due to the disappointing performances of those 3 players thus far.

We really lacked run out of defence last night which led to slow and laborious transition into our forwardline. Sneak peek of life after Murphy unless we can develop other runners. Was a little disappointed in JJ last night as he has the capability to be the heir apparent to Murphy in some respects. Talia and Young were both down last night, particularly Young so with Picken and Morris having to play purely negative roles it ws only when Higgins came on that we managed to get any sort of movement. We really missed Murphy's surgical runs through the middle.

Maddog37
27-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Hopefully macca was keeping some ammunition dry for round one. We were opened up like a can of sardines too many times.

always right
27-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Hopefully macca was keeping some ammunition dry for round one. We were opened up like a can of sardines too many times.

They were much quicker than us which is something the addition of Murphy, Griffin and Grant will help address.

always right
27-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Two games in and no sign of Jones, Darley or Fuller. Any idea why?

bornadog
27-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I've said it before, but it looks like Dickson plays with an invisible bungy cord tied to his waist and anchored to the goal line. The further from goal he travels the slower he looks, not just in his movement but also his decision making. Dickson, along with Goodes and Young are not in our best 22. Worried about Picken too.

Couldn't agree more.

LostDoggy
27-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Young has been extremely disappointing so far.

Improved dramitcally in the second half of last year and by all reports has had a cracking pre season.

He's clean hands, calmness and great decision making has completely alluded him so far this year.

Mantis
27-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Young has been extremely disappointing so far.

Improved dramitcally in the second half of last year and by all reports has had a cracking pre season.

He's clean hands, calmness and great decision making has completely alluded him so far this year.

Agree with all of that, hopefully he is just a bit rusty and will come good as he gets more game time.

Ditto for Goodes who is also struggling.

LostDoggy
27-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Goodes showing why maybe he wasn't considered afl standard? Or just out of form?
Still think he reads the play a lot better than the young guys (defence wise), but needs to be sure of his skills and defensively or he's in trouble.

Happy Days
27-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Just some extra thoughts;

Several of our backs can't guard space defensively. Talia in particular seems to have to play from behind at all times (not necessarily a bad thing, was made to look especially foolish by Ballantyne when trying to intercept on one occasion. Stringer behind the ball was stupid and only added to this sentiment, doesn't read the play as well up the other end and almost got himself killed a couple of times.

Please no more "Picken as a small defender".

Stevens was the real positive for mine. Despite a few patented 1-metre handballs to guys in worse spots, his disposal by foot looks much improved, and his hardness at the contest and sneaky good goal kicking ability have remained and even grown.

Cooney, McCrae and Hunter were awesome. Hunter across half forward last night instilled the confidence in me that we can leave Murphy on the back flank; he was in everything and was super clean when he had it.

Just on McCrae, was obviously great but some worrying signs re:workrate when we didn't have the ball. I'm willing to chalk it up to it being a pre season game but something to watch

Crameri is as good a set shot as I thought he was.

Sandilands was obviously the dominant player but it highlights that Campbell is very much a forward-ruckman who should only be in the middle to spell Will, and for no longer periods. Great hands though.

Higgins was fine. As Lemmon alluded to, the contest on the wing (also right in front of me) was a particular highlight, and dude hasn't played in forever.

Gia looks like Dahlhaus' dad now.

Our work in the centre square defensively was not where we left it last year. A lot of it was due to Sandilands' dominance but someone needed to get to he defensive side of Mundy, who also shredded us, when it was apparent that's where the ball was going every time.

All in all a lot of positives (sorry if this seems negative, I'm trying not to cover the same ground), but obviously some areas to work on.

always right
27-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Tend to disagree on Stevens re his handball. Almost the most pleasing aspect of his game last night was the absence of handballs placing blokes under pressure. Almost a complete game from him....at least for the first half.

Thought Sandilands toweled Will up in the second half after Will had done well to halftime......and I was pleasantly surprised by Campbell in a number of ruck contests where he outjumped Sandilands. Bit to work with there.

G-Mo77
27-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Fortunately I had some Daddy/Son time during the Wayne Campbell part so the sound was very low.

I don't mind Dunstall as a commentator.

Hotdog60
27-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I going to see if there is a feedback line for Fox so I can vent my displeasure of the producer whom I assume is responsible on were the camera goes.

Hotdog60
27-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I going to see if there is a feedback line for Fox so I can vent my displeasure of the producer whom I assume is responsible on were the camera goes.

I found the feedback so this is my comment: :)
Hi,

I would like to say on the most part I’m very happy with the coverage of the AFL (which is the only reason I have FOX).
Do think it would be possible not to show the commentary box while play is going on. Does the controller of the cameramen really think anyone is interested in seeing the commentary team and whoever they are talking too while a game is going on.
Seconds of play has been missed from boundary throw ins and from ball ups on a number of occasions already this season and it’s only the NAB games.
The same goes following a injured player, alright he got injured but do we need to see him for long periods of time while the game is in progress.
I pay hard earnt money to watch the game I love so I get very frustrated when I miss the play.

Thank you,

LostDoggy
27-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Great analysis.

A good hit-out leading into round one. There were some positives to take out of the game, and there's obviously still a lot to work on. I think this game against elite opposition will hold us in good stead for the start of the season.

Our effort was pretty consistent throughout the game but some fundamental errors both in execution and decision making let us down badly. Even though it's only pre-season, some of the errors are quite frustrating. The most disappointing part about tonight, for mine, were our continual defensive lapses. Fremantle fumbled a bit tonight and really could have punished us more if they were cleaner. We looked extremely unaccountable and easy to play/transition against at times. This has been a weakness since the beginning of the rebuild and although it has been a focus over pre-season it was very poor tonight.

The amount of space afforded to Fremantle was mind boggling from a structure point of view. I wasn't at the game so it was difficult to see how we were setting up, but the "loose man" play certainly didn't help us going forward. Added to this, we clearly missed some easy shots at goal too - an area that needs improving.

Our defensive pressure/work rate was very good in the second quarter and we saw what came as a result.

My opinion of player performance:

Wallis - Solid performance. I'd like him to be cleaner with his hands at times but his effort is very good. Starting to really use his body well in contests too.

Boyd - Decision making and skill execution at times were woeful. As always, he did have a positive impact too though. Simply needs to find a way to minimize his costly basic errors.

Dahlhaus - Thought he was quiet tonight, did some nice things too though.

Higgins - First game back so I don't want to be too harsh but I thought he was very, very poor. His decision making was average (long kicks to nobody) and his intensity at the contest/opposition was non-existent. Good to see him back out there, but he's a mile off it at the moment.

Crameri - He doesn't look fit. Not sure why, given he's always mentioned as one of the better runners. Better performance than last week but missing two shots he should kick really lowered his overall performance. He did do some nice things though, laying some strong tackles and competing in the air.

Stringer - Quiet, but I like the education we gave him tonight by playing him behind the ball. Did some nice things, although he needs to flatten his kicks out - too many loopy hospital passes.

Wood - Quiet with a few disappointing misses.

Macrae - Outstanding. Just heard David King say he wouldn't be surprised to see him (or Libba) win a Brownlow. Big wraps, but he deserves 'em. At one point he was getting tagged by Crowley, such was his influence. He just rarely makes an error, despite not being the greatest user by foot in the world. So much composure and makes the right decision.

Williams - Looked very, very rusty.

Giansiracusa - Defensive game lacking leaves us vulnerable, as does his propensity to over commit to certain contests, but as always he bobs up with a few goals because he's such a smart footballer.

Cooney - A huge positive. Had an inspiring second quarter, looked like he did back in 2008. Electric pace, good skills, strong and evasive. Kicked one beautiful goal and nearly out did himself not long after. Great signs.

Libba - Not as good as he was last week, but the 'judgement ceiling' is quite high with Tom. He's always contributing and looks set for a huge year.

Honeychurch - I really liked what I saw. A lot of energy, a bit of mongrel. Very nice first goal and I thought he contributed well. Made some good decisions and clearly likes going in hard. I was quite impressed.

Roughead - Will be better for the run.

Stevens - Best on ground in the first half, he did fade a little after that. Looks set for a big year. He's starting to look like a complete mid - he's extremely tough, a great tackler but he also spreads very well and uses it well. Seems to be finding more of the ball (obviously fitter) and gut runs. Like him a lot.

Hunter - Like Dahl he was a little quiet, but still made some really good efforts and should be in for a strong season ahead. Going to be a special player.

Minson - Fantastic first half, but got dominated by Sandilands in the second half. Will be better for the run. Looks pretty lean, fit and strong - nothing to worry about.

Dickson - He really, really, really struggles when moved up the field. His decision making is dreadful in traffic, but just when I'm ready to announce he might not be in our best 22, he'll win a great one on one contest forward of the centre. Needs to do more though.

Young - Very poor for the second week running. I wonder if Darley or Fuller will get an opportunity next, because Young has been poor.

Talia - A couple of nice efforts, but he was pretty ordinary. At times he looked clumsy and coughed up goals when he really shouldn't have. Just when you think he's off his game, though, he'll make a really good spoil. Young player who still has a lot to learn but he'll get there.

Morris - Thought he was beaten today, but as always keeps on keeping on.

JJ - His pace and decision making is excellent. A couple of skill errors that he wouldn't usually make, but it's no secret I am a big fan. Quiet tonight but showed enough for his first game back.

Picken - Poor. Along with Young, I don't have him in our 22 at the moment. His decision making and skill execution is dreadful and this is emphasized when he's played down back. He really isn't a defender - it has to be tagging mid or VFL in 2014.

Goodes - Ordinary game with a host of silly errors and poor defensive work. It's unfortunate that we have 3 players (Goodes, Young, Picken) who have put in 2 poor weeks and all are small/medium backs - an area we're light on. Goodes needs to keep things simple and be much better defensively.

Campbell - Quiet and didn't quite do enough, although he still made a contribution at times with his willingness to compete.

Jong - Quiet but made some strong tackles.

Maddog37
27-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Goodes, Young and Crameri have all had massive preseasons apparently but all looked stuffed most of the time. Might need to taper their training now and freshen up for the real thing or does that sound silly?

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-02-2014, 09:47 PM
We need to stabilize our defence which IMO should include Roughead and Talia as our key defenders supported by Murphy Morris and JJ for starters. After watching last night against quality opposition it was obvious that Young Goodes Picken and Wood are all under pressure as to being good enough. Maybe it's time to consider Fuller and Darley to complete our defence going forward.
The forward line at this stage looks best with Campbell Crameri Stringer Grant when fit plus Dahlhaus and Hunter representing our best attack. This would leave Dickson Jones Gia as back ups.
I am still to be convinced that Williams is going to be good enough whilst Higgins might be best suited in defence.
The midfield is our strength with Griffen Liberatore Cooney Boyd Stevens and Wallis together with Minson with back up from Campbell making us more than competitive in gaining first use of the ball.
Macrae is a standout on one wing with our midfielders rotating on the other.Tutt is another given his extra pace which we do not have a lot of that warrants consideration.I would hope that Fletcher Roberts can emerge as a vital big man that can play either forward and back. In today's football this type of flexibility is required as a key ingredient towards moving up the ladder. Apart from Roughead we are light on for tall players that can consistently compete overhead. Players like Cordy Howard Pearce Wood Williams and Higgins should come under close scrutiny as to whether they are going to be good enough to cut it at the elite level.

bulldogtragic
27-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I got kicked off the tele at quarter time so I'm half way through the last tonight. God 2016 can't come quick enough, another 50 games into these kids and people will go back to hating us (have you notices were everyone's second team until we pump their team game in, game out). The few problems at the moment I'm watching was poor decision making, which will hopefully elude our game as we get better. Boyd kicking 45 metres straight to Sandilands on his own... Just some rust, but seriously if our playing group were listed on the ASX they'd be going like hot cakes.

Remi Moses
28-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Watched the game and that was a very positive performance.
Our lapses are costing us ( will come with experience)
Sandilands took over and picked up Mundy Bsrlow and the other mids.
Great experience and education for our side, and the best thing for me is that we play football that stands up in September. We've still got a way to go but the signs are good.

FrediKanoute
28-02-2014, 04:30 AM
I can't agree. I have been generally impressed with Young. Good mid sized defensive option.

whythelongface
28-02-2014, 08:43 AM
I got kicked off the tele at quarter time so I'm half way through the last tonight. God 2016 can't come quick enough, another 50 games into these kids and people will go back to hating us (have you notices were everyone's second team until we pump their team game in, game out). The few problems at the moment I'm watching was poor decision making, which will hopefully elude our game as we get better. Boyd kicking 45 metres straight to Sandilands on his own... Just some rust, but seriously if our playing group were listed on the ASX they'd be going like hot cakes.

Don't wish your life away BT :) But yeah I know what you mean. We have an outstanding core group of youngsters who, once they continue their development over the next two years and with the added inclusion of a couple more outstanding prospects, will be knocking on the door of a Flag.

From 2016 onwards I really believe we will be up there as title contenders. Let's hope we can achieve a period of sustained success that we have been longing for.

bulldogtragic
28-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Don't wish your life away BT :) But yeah I know what you mean. We have an outstanding core group of youngsters who, once they continue their development over the next two years and with the added inclusion of a couple more outstanding prospects, will be knocking on the door of a Flag.

From 2016 onwards I really believe we will be up there as title contenders. Let's hope we can achieve a period of sustained success that we have been longing for.

In 97 I thought for a nanosecond about how I could get tickets for the week after. Haven't made that mistake since, but I think this group is fundamentally better than the group from 6 years ago. Ie:

Hahn - Stringer
Eagleton - Macrae
Crameri - Johnson (aged)
Hooper - Dahl
Cross - Liberatore
Lake - Roughead
Addison - Hunter
Hill - Jones
Griffen & Cooney then - Griffen & Cooney now

Obviously some need to prove it, but pound for pound, as highly talented as our last group was, I'd invest my money in thus group. The real challenge will be to keep getting our high draft picks right, then having the cap to keep them together and see which free agents we can get our hands on.