PDA

View Full Version : 'Pass Marks' for the fringe and/or perennially injured players.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
So I/we can be a little more objective before season proper, and can update and review over 30 weeks, what are the pass marks for the following players (ie games either VFL or AFL played, game time played, stats per game, game style, development of skill etc):

- Tutty
- Howie
- Ayce
- Fletch
- Campbell
- Pearce

- Higgins
- Wood
- Williams

And all rookies.

w3design
01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Hmmm interesting question :

Tutt : Become a best 22 player for more than half the season.
Howie : Make space on the list at seasons end.
Ayce : Start clunking marks [ especially contested] and kicking multiple goals, at either level.
Fletch : This one is tough. He needs to put some meat on his bones. Has talent to burn, but would love to see him given a season playing just one role. Players who get shunted from pillar to post early in their careers rarely seem to become best 22's. Let the kids become established and solid in one role, then think about shifting them about. They need the self confidence that they belong at the level before being asked to become swing men.
Campbell : Continue improving in the role he has, and become a 22 regular.
Pearce : Keep developing, and try to pass Goodes, and stay ahead of Fuller and Co.

Higgins : Stay on the park, and when playing, stay in the game for the full 120 mins. Dramatically increase his commitment to chasing, tackling and controlling his opponent.
Wood : Get more of the ball, and just take off straight away. He can break lines far better with run than with his kick. Like to see him establish himself as a wingman.
Williams : Stay clear of the rehab situation, and become a regular KPF.

Rookies.
Austin : Insurance policy, future= 0.
Greenwood : Sadly even if he does improve, there are too many ahead of him. They can't all fall over.
Jong : Just needs to keep on learning the game. If he does, Howard's spot on the list beacons.
Redpath : Similar to Jong, needs to keep on developing as a KPD. Has further to go, but should be aiming for role as No1 KPD insurance policy. But he will need to have a big season at Footscray.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it is tough, because if some are in for a sustained period, others need to be out. But over the season after games or events in them, the benchmarks can move, so I thought it would be advantageous to set out where we think it's at for them.

- Tutty: I agree, I'd like to see him dominate the wings of Whitten Oval over the first part of the season and a good run at the end, with double digit games. It's a high pass mark for him, but he's fit, well coached and experienced, so there should be no excuses.

- Howie: much like above, I'd like to see him clearly above Darley and Fuller, that is JJ, Goodes and Bob are probably picked before, but with injuries, I'd like to see him the no-brainer option to replace them should injuries occur. I'd love him to take Goodes spot, but Goodes won't be giving his spot back anytime soon. If the new boys move past him, then I find it hard to see his case for retention next year. Bug here's hoping.

- Ayce: ideally a full year in the VFL seniors as number 1 ruck, regularly in the bests in the latter season.

- Fletch: 1st half of the year in the VFL. I'd like to see him being to main tall defender that Maple calls on, obviously over Marko. I'd love to see him demand a few games by AFL seasons end.

- Campbell: I'm hoping for over a dozen games and over 20 goals. With Stew and Jones probably getting the better defenders, I'd love to see him find his spot at this level. I want more obviously, but imposing my hopes for him is different to a pass mark.

- Pearce: to knock Howie back in the pecking order.

- Higgins: keeping the body fit and his form demanding the HFF cum midfield spot over Hunter, Honeychurch, Hrovat. I'd like also too see a more defensively improved edge to his game.

- Wood: fitness and games, as many as possible. I no longer really know where he fits into the team, ie defender, forward, winger etc. maybe just establishing himself in a role.

- Williams: As Above for Wood.

- Rookies: for their VFL form to demand upgrading should there be any long term injuries.

F'scary
02-03-2014, 03:10 PM
- Tutty: Pass = being brought into the side because more pace & carry are required and delivering this. 7 games will do.
- Howie: Pass = 15 games on HBF, being named in best players 5 times and being selected ahead of Wood, Picken, Goodes or Young.
- Ayce: Pass = Good uninterrupted season as #1 Ruck with Footscray.
- Fletch: Pass = selected for 5 games as CHB.
- Campbell: Pass = average 1 goal per game as tall forward while playing a total of 25 minutes in the ruck per game. Selected for a total of 14 games.
- Pearce: Pass = being selected for 7 games.

- Higgins: Pass = being preferred all season at the selection table before Hunter, Dickson or Hrovat. Selected for 18 games.
- Wood: Pass = 14 games and being named in best players in 5 games.
- Williams: Pass = plays 14 games.

Rookies:

Greenwood: Pass = selected for 18 games for Footscray and being named in best players 9 times.
Redpath: Pass = selected for 18 games as KP back for Footscray and being named in best players 9 times.
Jong: Pass = selected for 18 games for Footscray and being named in best players 9 times

westdog54
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
- Higgins: keeping the body fit and his form demanding the HFF cum midfield spot over Hunter, Honeychurch, Hrovat. I'd like also too see a more defensively improved edge to his game.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread, but I found it somewhat amusing that four blokes with H names were all vying for the same spot.

Just looked funny on paper, is all.

I'll step away from what's already been said and say that based on what I saw in preseason, Pearce is ready to really step up and cement a place in the team. He looks strong, fit and his hands were looking really sharp.

He's my smoky for most improved player this year.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread, but I found it somewhat amusing that four blokes with H names were all vying for the same spot.

Just looked funny on paper, is all.

I'll step away from what's already been said and say that based on what I saw in preseason, Pearce is ready to really step up and cement a place in the team. He looks strong, fit and his hands were looking really sharp.

He's my smoky for most improved player this year.

That's serious scary WD, I actually typed a sentence about the H's but deleted it. We must have been taught the same way of reading and thinking maybe... :)

westdog54
03-03-2014, 03:07 PM
That's serious scary WD, I actually typed a sentence about the H's but deleted it. We must have been taught the same way of reading and thinking maybe... :)

And here I was thinking you'd just missed it:)

Greystache
03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Tutt- Be an automatic best 22 player and show he's largely overcome his weaknesses of avoiding body contact and panicking with the ball in hand. If not he should go at season's end.

Howard- Show that he's develop an ability to kick, defend, compete one-on-one, and make a decision. In reality he's gone.

Ayce- Show something to justify continued investment in him. In particular some ability to mark or be physical in any way. Has another year on his contract, but should go at season's end without a burst of improvement from nowhere.

Fletch- Remain injury free, show he's capable of holding down a key position at either end, and be a solid contributor at VFL level.

Campbell- Continue with his outstanding finish to last season. Play most of the season in the seniors and continue to improve.

Pearce- Get in the bests regularly at VFL level and show glimpses that he can contribute at AFL level

Higgins- Play an injury free season and that he can play to the team structure.

Wood- Needs to find a role he can make his own at AFL level and own it. Another injury plagued season with minimal development might spell the end for him.

Williams- Get through the season without serious injury and prove he has the potential to be an AFL standard player. Another season without significant contribution and he should be delisted.

Greenwood- Recapture the form he showed at the end of 2012 and play some good footy at senior level. He needs to show that he can offer something more than similar players on the list.

Jong- Continued skill and decision making improvement.

Austin- Show that he's a better emergency key defender than Williams.