PDA

View Full Version : When have you been (overwhelmingly) proud of our club?

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 12:22 AM
It's a given, we're always proud of our club. I'm not saying anything like that, this is a pure endulgence of joy in our club, heritage and/or what we stand for.

Being we span we different years of experiences, I'd love to know when, or what event/s, thing or action/reaction has made you feel so overwhelmingly proud of your identification with the FFC/WBFC?

GVGjr
02-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Particularly proud of the club for not folding when the AFL had all but written us off. The fightback was one memory that won't erase any time soon.

I've been to a number of functions that have been particularly inspiring as well.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Seeing Teddy handover the games record to Doug, the flick pass and embrace, the ground chock a block full.

Chris Grant staying, everything about him, including handling the Brownlow 'incident' with a quiet dignity that reflected the values of the club.

Everything about 1997, except the last quarter of the last game. We went from everyone's second team to hated and it felt good (in the right kind of way).

SonofScray
02-03-2014, 01:03 AM
The Fightback
The fans' response to Elliot's "tragic" comments.
Libba's final game.
The halftime stoush v Melb last season.

boydogs
02-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Having the guts to change the name of the club to grow support in the greater western suburbs
1997 until 3/4 time
Winning the NAB cup in 2010
Creating our own VFL team

always right
02-03-2014, 09:35 AM
1985 when we made finals after a long drought. We got absolutely thumped by Hawthorn in the first game but I remember feeling quite emotional when we ran out onto the ground at the MCG.

Also the last home and away match in 1998 against North. Huge game for top spot (which we lost narrowly) but I felt proud to attend a match where Carey and Grant took centre stage....and Grant was BOG.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Hearing via the media that Peter Gordon had given us a million dollar loan.

Others, like Essendon will just rally their cult like Hird loving coteries to cover their debts. Our club doesn't have that, but knowing someone who just happens to be our president loves our club to do something like this makes me feel proud. There's a tinge of sadness that he needs to, but I think he's trying to build the club in that the next president won't need to do this too. Having amazing people doing amazing things makes me feel proud about the fabric of the club, which is something Macca will give us more of.

1eyedog
02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
When Crossy and Tommy Williams jumped of that pier to save those people from drowning in Hong Kong. It was at the same time that Nick Riewoldt and Zac Dawson were photographed naked together holding their willies.

A greater contrast in the culture of two clubs I haven't seen.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
When Crossy and Tommy Williams jumped of that pier to save those people from drowning in Hong Kong. It was at the same time that Nick Riewoldt and Zac Dawson were photographed naked together holding their willies.

A greater contrast in the culture of two clubs I haven't seen.

I hadn't thought of the rescue initially, great nomination. I did walk taller knowing our boys did this.

bornadog
02-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Some Proud Moments:

Round 13 1978 at Whitten Oval. we kick a club record score of (33.15.213) vs ST.Kilda (16.10.106) . At the rime it was also a VFL record. I was so proud we had kicked so many goals.

1985 - Making the finals - especially the Prelim and knowing we had a chance to knock off Hawthorn even though they pummelled us in the Qualifying, I knew we had a chance. 1985 was one of our greatest seasons and I was proud of the boys every week.

1989 - Fight back rally at WO - Great crowd, everyone tipping in money from 20 cents to thousands. We really stuck it up Oakley.

2013 - As SOS mentioned, the Bulldog chant at half time v Melbourne - gave me goose bumps I haven't had for years.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Apart from all those great reasons already mentioned, I've felt proud of the club for the great individuals that represented it: always proud when Ted Whitten was in the team; John Schults was so strong brave and fair; Georgie Bissett and Doug Hawkins rarely lowered their colours; Kelvin Templeton was a giant of a presence; Simon Beasley for his finishing off and Chris Grant for being loyal and mercurial.

Webby
03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Round 21, 2000...

I love the Dogs, but equally, I despise Essendon. Had they passed through 2000 undefeated, it would've been simply unbearable. Someone, anyone, had to beat them. We would never have heard the end of it, had they made it through undefeated, Premiers and Champions. The only team to do so in the history of VFL/AFL.

I vowed at the time that whoever beat them would get my undying respect and admiration. They'd instantly become my second team. That's how important it was. It was getting late in the year and I was beginning to panic!

So when it was done by us, I was so swollen with pride, I nearly exploded. I imagine that's pretty close to what a premiership feels like. the stakes really were that high in my mind! Whenever Essendon fans skite about their year 2000, I take great pleasure in reminding them that we blotted their copybook: "Yeah, you nearly went undefeated, didn't you?.... Nearly..!"

It puts them in their box... At least in the presence of a Dogs fan. That's enough, for now.

boydogs
03-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Round 21, 2000...

Good one, forgot about that

bulldogtragic
04-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Round 21, 2000...

I love the Dogs, but equally, I despise Essendon. Had they passed through 2000 undefeated, it would've been simply unbearable. Someone, anyone, had to beat them. We would never have heard the end of it, had they made it through undefeated, Premiers and Champions. The only team to do so in the history of VFL/AFL.

I vowed at the time that whoever beat them would get my undying respect and admiration. They'd instantly become my second team. That's how important it was. It was getting late in the year and I was beginning to panic!

So when it was done by us, I was so swollen with pride, I nearly exploded. I imagine that's pretty close to what a premiership feels like. the stakes really were that high in my mind! Whenever Essendon fans skite about their year 2000, I take great pleasure in reminding them that we blotted their copybook: "Yeah, you nearly went undefeated, didn't you?.... Nearly..!"

It puts them in their box... At least in the presence of a Dogs fan. That's enough, for now.

You scribe like a poet Webby.

And that Chris Grant got to land the final blow was a cherry on top.

craigsahibee
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Round 21, 2000...

Yep. Actually remember shedding a tear or two in the bean bag at the end of the game. It was classic Footscray backs to the wall stuff. I left it too late to pre-book a seat as it was sold out so I had to be content to sit at home and watch it but I was as loud at home as I have ever been at the footy.

Twodogs
04-03-2014, 02:34 PM
I remember the stunned looks on their faces.

SonofScray
04-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Massive thumbs up and agreement with Webby. Really enjoy your contributions on the forum and that one was no different. I too feel that way about Essendon. My hatred for them is matched only by my love for the Scray. Was sitting up in the rafters that night and remember feeling like our Club just changed the way footy was played, forever. I don't think we'd seen anything quite like it tactically and the pure theatre of it all as we picked them apart was brilliant. I hurt them to drop the perfect season, even more so to us.

LostDoggy
05-03-2014, 12:36 AM
A few have already mentioned many of mine: 2000 against Essendon, Crossy/Tommy saving the woman, the fightback, the half-time chant last year…

If I could add anything to this list, it would be the 2009 prelim, in particular our fans. We'd been building towards something special for years, we felt we had the team for a real shot. Many of us detest the Saints and all they stand for, then to face decisions like the Riewoldt dive, etc. and I remember feeling so physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually crushed.

Then after the game, watching my fellow Dogs fans, equally crushed, shaking hands with the Sainters and wishing them good luck. My partner, new to the cloth, commented on the difference between our behaviour and that of Collingwood, Essendon or West Coast fans after a loss of that magnitude and I just felt incredibly proud of the biggest section of our club.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Now!

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Even if we had lost, I would have been proud today. We didn't have any passengers. But it was a great win, and an important one.

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Now!

Even if we had lost, I would have been proud today. We didn't have any passengers. But it was a great win, and an important one.

It was a hard win but we gutted it out. Proud but drained

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 05:41 PM
It was a hard win but we gutted it out. Proud but drained

Most people would have taken any range of excuses if we lost. The side today didn't want to make any excuses, they wanted pride and a win and did what it took to literally the last second.

The bulldog tragician
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Most people would have taken any range of excuses if we lost. The side today didn't want to make any excuses, they wanted pride and a win and did what it took to literally the last second.
That is a perfect summary.