PDA

View Full Version : Your Round One Team, 2014

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Obviously you can use the 'edit' button from week to week. Two NAB games down, name your 22!

B: Picken Roughead Morris

HB: Goodes Talia JJ

C: Macrae Wallis Cooney

HF: Crameri Jones Hunter

F: Stringer Campbell Dahl

C: Minson, Liberatore, Griffen (c)

Int: Boyd, Stevens, Young

Sub: Giansiracusa

Notes:

- I'm not sold on Picken as a BP, but last season is a waste if he's not given another crack there.
- I would love Tutty, Howie, Darley or Fuller-ee to knock Goodes or Young out, so I'm still looking at this
- My brimming with a smile of naming the centreline and followers!
- I'm happy to go a little tall in the forward line to start, and enter the super sub

- Murphy and Grant would be in my 22 for Young and Stringer

I think this is a competitive side first up.

GVGjr
02-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm going to have to give this some thought. I feel compelled to try and find a spot for Williams and Higgins but there are a number of question marks if a number of the players will be fit enough.

How good would it be to have Murphy and Grant available?

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm going to have to give this some thought. I feel compelled to try and find a spot for Williams and Higgins but there are a number of question marks if a number of the players will be fit enough.

How good would it be to have Murphy and Grant available?

Q1. I went over this time and time again. Just couldn't a) do it, b) tempt fate, c) let me dream again. Very tough call though.

Q2. Bob & Jarrad would and will be massive, I'd almost say they possess the most X factor we have on the list. I love trade and draft, but this time of the year when your excitement is only limited by your imagination (see pre-season 1997), is awesome.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Obviously you can use the 'edit' button from week to week. Two NAB games down, name your 22!

B: Picken Roughead Morris

HB: Goodes Talia JJ

HF: Crameri Jones Hunter

F: Stringer Campbell Dahl

C: Minson, Liberatore, Griffen (c)

Int: Boyd, Stevens, Young

Notes:

- I'm not sold on Picken as a BP, but last season is a waste if he's not given another crack there.
- I would love Tutty, Howie, Darley or Fuller-ee to knock Goodes or Young out, so I'm still looking at this
- My brimming with a smile of naming the centreline and followers!
- I'm happy to go a little tall in the forward line to start, and enter the super sub

- Murphy and Grant would be in my 22 for Young and Stringer

I think this is a competitive side first up.

With Jones missing from both NAB games, I can't see him in the round 1 side. I would replace him with Williams. I also expect Higgins in but not sure who misses

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 07:33 PM
With Jones missing from both NAB games, I can't see him in the round 1 side. I would replace him with Williams. I also expect Higgins in but not sure who misses

Naming Wlliams... You're playing with forces you don't understand young Jedi. :) Williams still has a few weeks to jump every crack, twist fingers and throw salt over his shoulder while our outsourced anti voodoo team keep him free from injury until round one.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Naming Wlliams... You're playing with forces you don't understand young Jedi. :) Williams still has a few weeks to jump every crack, twist fingers and throw salt over his shoulder while our outsourced anti voodoo team keep him free from injury until round one.

Thanks for the title. It is a long time since anyone other than myself gave young in a description of me.

Realistically, the NAB selection puts Williams ahead of Jones and I certainly do, but also concede the need for an anti-voodoo team to get him through.

Greystache
02-03-2014, 08:20 PM
B-Picken, Roughead, Morris

HB- JJ, Talia, Goodes

C- McCrae, Libba, Boyd

HF- Stringer, Crameri, Hunter

F- Dahlhaus, Campbell, Dickson

R- Minson, Griffen, Cooney

Int- Wallis, Stevens, Wood

Sub- Gia

Not excited about having Goodes in the team, but Murphy is injured, and Young has been awful this preseason. I think Higgins will probably also get a game just because, but I think he should come through the VFL. I think we'll probably only go with one genuine key forward in Campbell.

bulldogtragic
02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
It might be a negative, but it's not. But Goodes needs to be out by seasons end. Tutty, Howie, Darley, Fuller, Murphy back from injury need to have that spot. As good as Goodes is, if two or more of these now no longer kids can't move past him then we've kept them a year too long or not seen enough development.

Remi Moses
03-03-2014, 02:51 PM
It might be a negative, but it's not. But Goodes needs to be out by seasons end. Tutty, Howie, Darley, Fuller, Murphy back from injury need to have that spot. As good as Goodes is, if two or more of these now no longer kids can't move past him then we've kept them a year too long or not seen enough development.

Agree entirely.

westdog54
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the title. It is a long time since anyone other than myself gave young in a description of me.

Hate to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Young padawan', not 'Young jedi?'.

Hopefully I get a chance to actually watch some football this weekend, at which point I'll ry and put a team together, but BT's looks pretty well on the money.

LostDoggy
03-03-2014, 03:13 PM

HB- JJ, Talia, Goodes

C- McCrae, Libba, Boyd

HF- Stringer, Crameri, Hunter

F- Dahlhaus, Campbell, Dickson

Int- Wallis, Stevens, Wood

Sub- Gia

Not excited about having Goodes in the team, but Murphy is injured, and Young has been awful this preseason. I think Higgins will probably also get a game just because, but I think he should come through the VFL. I think we'll probably only go with one genuine key forward in Campbell.

Agree entirely.

I concur as well. Is Darley ready to go, can he replace Goode's right away?

Without that answer, here is my team:

HB- JJ, Talia, Wood

C- McCrae, Libba, Boyd

HF- Dahlhaus, Crameri, Hunter

F- Stringer, Campbell, Dickson

Int- Wallis, Stevens, Higgins

Sub- Gia

Can Jones replace Dickson?

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Hate to be pedantic, but shouldn't it be 'Young padawan', not 'Young jedi?'.

Ah, yes. I should've known that, between 2004-07 I was greeted with that every day.

The Doctor
03-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Assuming Murphy and grant are N/A

B: Morris, Roughead, Johannisen
HB: Wallis, Talia, Wood
C: Cooney, Liberatore, Macrae
HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Hunter
F: Crameri, Campbell, Dalhaus
R: Minson, Stevens, Griffen

Int: Williams, Boyd, Higgins

Sub: Stringer

Couldn't squeeze Hrovat in! Maybe R2

Go_Dogs
03-03-2014, 09:03 PM
B: Morris, Roughead, Picken
HB: JJ, Talia, Wood
C: Cooney, Wallis, Boyd
HF: Dahlhaus, Crameri, Hunter
F: Campbell, Williams, Dickson
R: Minson, Griffen, Libba
B: Higgins, Macrae, Stevens
S: Gia

Really wanted to fit in Jones and Hrovat. Murph and Grant are the other certainties when fit.
Tutt is my dark horse but can't see him starting round 1.

boydogs
03-03-2014, 09:51 PM
B: Murphy Roughead Morris
HB: Young Talia Johannisen
HF: Crameri Williams Hunter
F: Higgins Campbell Dahlhaus
C: Minson Liberatore Griffen
Int: Boyd Stevens Wood

Assuming Grant & Smith injured, Murphy & Griffen fit
Left out Picken, Goodes, Hrovat, Jones, Stringer, Dickson

1eyedog
03-03-2014, 10:44 PM
^^^ good team. All reports are that Murph will be right to go I thought? At least more likely than unlikely.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I'll wait until after Friday to name mine, but at this stage, I don't see how Picken, Young and Dickson deserve a spot on current form. Picken's decision making and disposal is atrocious coming out of the back half. Young has been really disappointing and Dickson similar.

Also think Higgins and Williams look unlikely at the moment, they'd need to put in two solid games to convince me.

Not sure we'll be taking a 'firing and in form' squad to Perth. I think a number of players (Picken, Goodes, Young, Dickson, Higgins, Williams) are all highly likely to feature. It'll be interesting to see what approach we do take.

Murphy and Grant not playing really hurts us.

boydogs
04-03-2014, 01:07 AM
I'll wait until after Friday to name mine, but at this stage, I don't see how Picken, Young and Dickson deserve a spot on current form.

I left Picken & Dickson out, Young gets a game as we're playing West Coast (Darling, Kennedy, Naitanui/Cox)

Also think Higgins and Williams look unlikely at the moment, they'd need to put in two solid games to convince me.

They are only going to get better you would think. At this point I have more faith in them improving than Picken and Dickson

Murphy and Grant not playing really hurts us.

Last I heard Murphy will be OK, have you heard different?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2014, 01:26 AM
I left Picken & Dickson out, Young gets a game as we're playing West Coast (Darling, Kennedy, Naitanui/Cox)

Yeah I think we'll end up playing both Goodes and Young.

They are only going to get better you would think. At this point I have more faith in them improving than Picken and Dickson

I tend to agree. I think Picken's career is in jeopardy to say the least.

Last I heard Murphy will be OK, have you heard different?

Nope - thanks for that. Bit out of the loop.

Can we take all of Griff, Murph, Williams and Higgins in though? I know that they are all quality, but they've all had limited preparation for various reasons. Could be a bit risky (unless the latter perform well)

boydogs
04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Can we take all of Griff, Murph, Williams and Higgins in though? I know that they are all quality, but they've all had limited preparation for various reasons. Could be a bit risky (unless the latter perform well)

Have they though? Griff did a full preseason before being wrapped in cotton wool for a couple of weeks, he would have been playing if it wasn't NAB Cup. Murphy was in full training until he injured his elbow, and will have been able to do some training whilst injured. Williams I believe did a full preseason, and Higgins started late but has had a long run at it. Williams & Higgins may be rusty, and were against Freo, but other than the fact they are Williams & Higgins I'm not sure you could say they are an injury risk.

Ozza
04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
B: Morris; Roughead; Picken
HB: Goodes; Talia; JJ/Murphy (fitness)
C: Stevens; Boyd; Cooney
HF: Hunter; Crameri; Dahlhaus
F: Dickson; Campbell; Stringer
R: Minson; Griffen; Liberatore
Int: Wallis; Gia; Macrae
Sub: Higgins.

Wood - probably unlucky, but Goodes gets nod due to possibly no Murphy, and needing him for kick outs etc.
JJ/Murphy - both started from a fair way back fitness wise, one of them to play.
Jones - no NAB1 or NAB2 seems to indicate he is on the 'out' at the moment unfortunately.
FUller & Darley - no sight of them yet.
Young - seems to be out of form (training & practice games). Would be good to get him in the team early in the year for flexibility.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2014, 10:33 PM
B: Murphy Roughead Morris
HB: Young Talia Johannisen
HF: Crameri Williams Hunter
F: Higgins Campbell Dahlhaus
C: Minson Liberatore Griffen
Int: Boyd Stevens Wood

Assuming Grant & Smith injured, Murphy & Griffen fit
Left out Picken, Goodes, Hrovat, Jones, Stringer, Dickson
There is a lot to like about your side but I prefer to start Williams at CHB rather than as a forward. I am yet to be convinced that at this stage of his career that he is equipped to play forward.I would like to see Stringer tried at FF with Campbell to play out of the pocket and to be used more on the ball to support Will as a back up ruckman against big Nat and Cox.
This is my preferred line up:
B. Morris Roughead Talia
HB. Johannieson Williams Murphy
C. Macrae Boyd Cooney
HF. Crameri Jones Hunter
F. Campbell Stringer Dahlhaus
R. Minson Liberatore Griffen
Int. Stevens Wallis Young Hrovat

GVGjr
04-03-2014, 10:36 PM
I like your team NBP but no Gia must be an oversight.

always right
05-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Unless they turn their form around in the Carlton practice match, I think Young and Dickson have played themselves out of our round one team. Dickson May however be saved by the fact that I think Gia might struggle on the big WA ground. Jones appears to be on the outer and I think Wood will be included for defensive cover.

Picken, Roughy, Morris
Murphy, Talia, Wood
McCrae, Libba, Stevens
Crameri, Stringer, Hunter
Dahl, Campbell, Dickson or Gia

Minson, Griffen, Cooney

Wallis, Boyd, Williams,
Higgins

The Bulldogs Bite
05-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Have they though? Griff did a full preseason before being wrapped in cotton wool for a couple of weeks, he would have been playing if it wasn't NAB Cup. Murphy was in full training until he injured his elbow, and will have been able to do some training whilst injured. Williams I believe did a full preseason, and Higgins started late but has had a long run at it. Williams & Higgins may be rusty, and were against Freo, but other than the fact they are Williams & Higgins I'm not sure you could say they are an injury risk.

Not so much an injury risk, as it is carrying players who aren't match conditioned and more importantly, in form. Griff and Murph are locks, but it is worth noting neither one of them have played a game yet. However, because of their professionalism/quality/general fitness, no doubt both will play.

It does mean that we should be cautious taking a same or similar approach to others. Having said that, Williams/Higgins will have 2 or 3 games under their belt by then, so it should just come down to form.

Remi Moses
05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Hopefully they don't take to many underdone players into round 1.
The issue is that the VFL season starts later, which never makes sense.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I like your team NBP but no Gia must be an oversight.

Gia wasn't an oversight as he rarely plays well on the big WA surface. Both Gia and Dickson lack leg speed and that is why I have preferred Dahlhaus Hunter and Hrovat as crumbing forwards. Gia will be required at different stages during the season but I am not convinced that he should be an automatic selection.

GVGjr
06-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Gia wasn't an oversight as he rarely plays well on the big WA surface. Both Gia and Dickson lack leg speed and that is why I have preferred Dahlhaus Hunter and Hrovat as crumbing forwards. Gia will be required at different stages during the season but I am not convinced that he should be an automatic selection.

Good call. I'd be surprised if he is left out but I like your thinking.

LostDoggy
07-03-2014, 12:46 PM
B: Morris Roughead Johannisen
HB: Murphy Talia Wood
C: Cooney Griffen Macrae
HF: Crameri Williams Stevens
F: Dahlhaus Campbell Hunter
R: Minson Wallis Liberatore

INT: Boyd Higgins Hrovat
SUB: Giansiracusa

Notes:
-Young, Goodes and Picken have been disappointing and need to build form at Footscray
-Griffen, Murphy, Higgins and Williams are automatic inclusions if proven match fit
-Not sure what's going on with Jones but I assume he's getting the "Grant" treatment
-50/50 between Stringer and Hrovat, siding with Hrovat this time given the size of the ground (assuming he's ready to go)
-Disagree with concerns about Gia's ability to have an impact in WA. Coming on as the sub, I'd think the wide open spaces and tiring opponents would suit Gia's ability to find space perfectly.

Axe Man
07-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I know it's early but in picking a team we need to think about our backline match-ups with the West Coast forwards. I'll have a stab:
Kennedy - Roughy
Cox/Nic Nat - Talia
Darling - Morris
Le Cras - Young/Wood
Hill - Murphy/Goodes

Would be nice to have Williams playing so we have the flexibility to throw him back if needed.

LostDoggy
07-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Lots of questions on some players who now seem to be on the fringe of selection eg. Jones, Talia, Young, Williams etc. as well as the fitness of Griffen, Murphy and Higgins and I expect this list will shift over the next two practise games.

Based on current selections so far, form (what we can see of it) and needs this is my line up.

Backs
Roughead - Needed for Kennedy and or Resting Ruck, if we end up playing Morris on Kennedy we are in trouble.
Morris - I would start the glove on Le Cras and move him to Darling if he gets off the leash with Young or Wood to cover this matchup
Wood - Would take Josh Hill, this worries me as while Easton is a superior athlete and will win in terms of speed and strength Josh has elite endurance (when running towards goal) and is an excellent reader of the play neither of which are Easton's strongest suits.
Talia - Had a good battle last year with Darling lets see if another summer in the gym sees him dominate this matchup, also getting to a size where he can stand a resting Ruck. Probably not yet ready for Kennedy.
Murphy - Need his composure but if he plays he is likely to get tagged so we need other attacking options.
JJ/Young - This really depends on our mindset, I would prefer to play JJ as he provides a more creative attacking option to take pressure off Murphy and we would love his pace on the long Subiaco track, but we may utilise Young as he is a more flexible defensive option to cover a number of opponents, eg Young may halve a contest with Darling or Kennedy 6 times in 10 JJ can't be expected to do the same.

Mids
Will - Big game for Will - Last year he did his best work by wearing down opponents and dominating later in games especially 3rd and 4th Qtrs. With Nic Nat and Cox in the frame he will not be able to do this. We will likely not win a lot of centre bounce taps as Cox is too tall and Nic Nat too Athletic so Will needs to look at trying to defend the tap and then being ready to try and lock the ball up. Ball ups are where Will can start to get on top especially against Nic Nat later in the game. Needs a good chop out from Campbell for at least 25% TOG.
Griffen - Hopefully he will be over his back complaint and his class will enable him to make up for a lack of match practise. Only plays if fit.
Libba - Will need to be aware at centre bounces as he may have limited supply in close where he is most damaging, need him to be a tackling machine defensively.
Boyd - Would like to see him head to head with Priddis, needs to stay defensive in positioning at centre bounces, his endurance should suit the ground but we need him to play to plan.
Cooney - Coming in off the wing and also coming off the HBF his breakaway speed looked to be coming back to him.
Stevens - Would love to run on against his old side! Faultless preseason so far and his strength and hardness around the contest will be vital, hopefully his endurance will hold up on the long ground.
Wallis - In many ways our best defensive mid, diligent in staying alert, aggressive and plays to plan, he needs to play a shut down roll on S Selwood, practise those knee bends Mitch and try some glue on you forearms!!
Macrae - Deserves his spot, his height will be useful to try and shark opposition taps and his composure will help to secure a clean possession. This may test his tank and he may be an option to be subbed out.

FWD/MIDS
Dahlhaus - Spending time forward and in the middle, his pace and cleverness will be an asset.
Hunter - really like his game sense and agility, seemed to have improved his endurance over the preseason so a great test to see if he can bring that out at senior level.
Hrovat - Composed smart and tough, would love to see him in.

FWDS
Stringer - If for no other reason then to remind those stupid Eagles fans of his miraculous goal last year. Has not yet fired completely but seems ahead of Jones at this stage. Tanks is a question and likely to get subbed.
Crameri - Subiaco should suit him if we can start to see his training performance translate on the track.
Cambell - Deep Forward and Ruck option
Williams - Really here for flexibility more then anything else, could drop back if we are getting exposed in defense and should engage Schofield or MacKenzie to keep them off Stringer.

Sub - Higgins/Gia if Shaun is fit he gets the nod based on his ability to cover all parts of the ground, any question on fitness though and it is back to Gia as super sub.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah I think we'll end up playing both Goodes and Young.

I tend to agree. I think Picken's career is in jeopardy to say the least.

Nope - thanks for that. Bit out of the loop.

Higgins was outstanding in defence against Carlton in a best on ground performance which should ensure his selection against WC Eagles.

Go_Dogs
08-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok, I'm having another crack...

B: Morris, Roughead, Goodes
HB: Picken, Talia, Higgins
C: Cooney, Stevens, Wallis
HF: Dahlhaus, Crameri, Macrae
F: Hunter, Campbell, Stringer
R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
B: JJ, Boyd, Gia
S: Wood

always right
08-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Unless they turn their form around in the Carlton practice match, I think Young and Dickson have played themselves out of our round one team. Dickson May however be saved by the fact that I think Gia might struggle on the big WA ground. Jones appears to be on the outer and I think Wood will be included for defensive cover.

Picken, Roughy, Morris
Murphy, Talia, Wood
McCrae, Libba, Stevens
Crameri, Stringer, Hunter
Dahl, Campbell, Dickson or Gia

Minson, Griffen, Cooney

Wallis, Boyd, Williams,
Higgins

Have reviewed my team after the Carlton practice match and have little cause to make many changes but think that Goodes has played himself into the team probably at the expense of Williams who did not play due to soreness. Gia now in instead of Dickson with the hope his football smarts overcome his lack of speed on the big ground.

Would like to see JJ in for his pace but his form has been okay at best and I think the match committee will see Picken as the best match-up for LeCras. Talia to Darling, Roughy to take the resting ruckman, and Morris onto Kennedy. Not a lot flexibility in defence so we will be relying on our midfield getting on top and improved defensive pressure up the ground.

Wallis to take Shuey and Boyd to Priddis. Selwood will take Griff. Need a big game from Campbell to help Will out as he tired noticeably last time he fronted up against Cox and Nick Nat after competing bravely for three quarters.

Really need to see Crameri's athletic ability come to the fore in this game for us to have a chance.

anfo27
08-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Watched the practice game yesterday except the 1st quarter & thought Goodes was very sloppy with his disposal again. I don't think he should be there come round 1 especially if Murphy is good to go.
I think if Williams is right we probably need to play him for balance as he plays both ends & the eagles during the pre-season have had Kennedy, Darling, Cox & Nic Nat/Lycett all down there at the same time for periods in all the practice games apparently.
No posters have mentioned Jong at all. Anyone think he is a chance to play round 1? has played all the practice games & has had a lot of game time which might suggest macca is thinking of using him as a run with player.

bornadog
08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Watched the practice game yesterday except the 1st quarter & thought Goodes was very sloppy with his disposal again. I don't think he should be there come round 1 especially if Murphy is good to go.
I think if Williams is right we probably need to play him for balance as he plays both ends & the eagles during the pre-season have had Kennedy, Darling, Cox & Nic Nat/Lycett all down there at the same time for periods in all the practice games apparently.
No posters have mentioned Jong at all. Anyone think he is a chance to play round 1? has played all the practice games & has had a lot of game time which might suggest macca is thinking of using him as a run with player.

Jong would have to be elevated form Rookie list?

bornadog
08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Would like to see JJ in for his pace but his form has been okay at best and I think the match committee will see Picken as the best match-up for LeCras. Talia to Darling, Roughy to take the resting ruckman, and Morris onto Kennedy. Not a lot flexibility in defence so we will be relying on our midfield getting on top and improved defensive pressure up the ground.

Wallis to take Shuey and Boyd to Priddis. Selwood will take Griff. Need a big game from Campbell to help Will out as he tired noticeably last time he fronted up against Cox and Nick Nat after competing bravely for three quarters.

Really need to see Crameri's athletic ability come to the fore in this game for us to have a chance.

I don't like Picken on LeCras, as his leap will kill Picken. Morris on Kennedy is another one that will be trouble for us. I don't have the answer, but the match ups will be important, perhaps Williams has to play back.

anfo27
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Jong would have to be elevated form Rookie list?

Isn't one rookie allowed to play without a player being on the long term injury list?

bornadog
08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Isn't one rookie allowed to play without a player being on the long term injury list?

I don't believe that is the case. I thought rookies can only play if a player retires or is put on the LTI list?

always right
08-03-2014, 03:40 PM
I don't like Picken on LeCras, as his leap will kill Picken. Morris on Kennedy is another one that will be trouble for us. I don't have the answer, but the match ups will be important, perhaps Williams has to play back.

I don't think we have perfect match-ups for either LeCras or Kennedy so I think Macca will go with these guys because Picken plays tight and has the aggression to make LeCras earn everything and Morris is our best option with Roughy required to play on the gorillas. The only other option I see is Talia on Kennedy and Morris on Darling which would be a huge step up for Talia.

Rocco Jones
08-03-2014, 03:53 PM
B: Morris, Roughead, Young
HB: Goodes, Talia, JJ
HF: Stevens, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Murphy, Campbell, Hunter
R: Minson, Griffen, Wallis
I/C: Higgins, Boyd, Stringer
Sub: Gia
-----------------------------
If Griffen/Murphy don't come up I would go with Picken and Wood in that order.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Haven't managed to see any of the pre-season games, so I am reliant on reports.

Concern I have for round 1 is size to take on the WC forwards.

Morris can probably handle Darling and Roughy can play on Natanui and Cox when they are forward. This does leave Talia for Kennedy. Unfortunately I can't see any other options apart from perhaps Wood playing tall on Darling or assigning Young to Darling.

Obviously we need to win the midfield to minimise the forward entries. At least that area of our side looks terrific.

boydogs
08-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Think you can do that for the first 11 games

Greystache
08-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Fresh off the 10 goals Kennedy kicked on him last time. I'd prefer Talia or even Young on Kennedy and only play Williams if we're desperate for the 4th string tall forward.

GVGjr
08-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Fresh off the 10 goals Kennedy kicked on him last time. I'd prefer Talia or even Young on Kennedy and only play Williams if we're desperate for the 4th string tall forward.

Wasn't that 10 goals on Markovic?

Roughead will get Kennedy won't he?

always right
08-03-2014, 07:43 PM

So who plays on Cox and Natanui?

GVGjr
08-03-2014, 08:41 PM
So who plays on Cox and Natanui?

Are you sure Natanui is playing? I think there is a fair chance that it will be Lycett or Sinclair.

I would use Talia or Young on the ruckman

Twodogs
08-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Are you sure Natanui is playing? I think there is a fair chance that it will be Lycett or Sinclair.

There were a few articles saying he was going to play last Thursday's practice match but there's no mention of him on the reviews of the game.

always right
08-03-2014, 11:45 PM

God help us.

GVGjr
09-03-2014, 12:13 AM
God help us.

I'm guessing that your suggestion is Williams?

If I thought Williams was fit enough I'd certainly have him in the team for round one.

bornadog
09-03-2014, 01:21 AM

Kicked 5 goals against Freo.

Twodogs
09-03-2014, 03:13 AM
There were a few articles saying he was going to play last Thursday's practice match but there's no mention of him on the reviews of the game.

Then I found this:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nic-naitanui-in-successful-comeback-as-eagles-soar-past-arch-rival-fremantle-in-practice-match/story-fni5faul-1226847519643

Greystache
09-03-2014, 05:59 AM

Teflon Tom seemed to dodge the supporters vitriol but he in fact conceded most of the goals Kennedy kicked. Markovic moved onto him during the game and conceded goals far less frequently.

If Naitanui doesn't play then Lycett is probably the only player limited enough for Williams to handle, but personally I'd prefer we didn't have to go there.

always right
09-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm guessing that your suggestion is Williams?

If I thought Williams was fit enough I'd certainly have him in the team for round one.

I've already stated who I think should play on who. There is no perfect solution but Roughy is best suited to handling the ruckmen with Talia and Morris taking Darling and Kennedy respectively. There is certainly an argument for Williams to play to enable us to shuffle players around should the need arise.

The key to our backline is what happens further up the ground. I think we need a plan for Hurn.

Before I Die
09-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Teflon Tom seemed to dodge the supporters vitriol but he in fact conceded most of the goals Kennedy kicked. Markovic moved onto him during the game and conceded goals far less frequently.

If Naitanui doesn't play then Lycett is probably the only player limited enough for Williams to handle, but personally I'd prefer we didn't have to go there.

Just watched the youtube footage of Kennedy's 10 goal haul as there is so many differing views on this.
The goals were in fact scored against: Williams, Williams, Hargrave, No-one was near him(though Morris was the first to arrive after the mark), Williams, Markovic, Markovic, Morris, Hargrave, Morris. So Kennedy scored three on Williams, two on Hargrave, two on Markovic and three on Morris. I think is is fair to say he gave the entire backline a bath and Williams had no more success than anyone else.

always right
09-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Just watched the youtube footage of Kennedy's 10 goal haul as there is so many differing views on this.
The goals were in fact scored against: Williams, Williams, Hargrave, No-one was near him(though Morris was the first to arrive after the mark), Williams, Markovic, Markovic, Morris, Hargrave, Morris. So Kennedy scored three on Williams, two on Hargrave, two on Markovic and three on Morris. I think is is fair to say he gave the entire backline a bath and Williams had no more success than anyone else.
Damn you and your facts.

Greystache
09-03-2014, 05:15 PM

What the YouTube video doesn't show properly was his 3rd goal where he out marked Hargrave, Hargrave had left his man to try to cover Williams who got lost in play, Williams was his direct opponent. Likewise when he was on his own, Wiliams lost Kennedy in play around the 50m mark and he ended up on his own in the goal square. He then his kicked 5th at the 1 minute mark of the second quarter before Wiliams was finally moved. He only kicked 5 the in last 3 quarters, as you correctly said 2 on Markovic and 3 on Morris.

An inconvenient truth for those people wanting to make Markovic the scapegoat while maintaining the myth that Williams is a gun defender who has just been unlucky with injury.

bulldogtragic
09-03-2014, 05:38 PM
What the YouTube video doesn't show properly was his 3rd goal where he out marked Hargrave, Hargrave had left his man to try to cover Williams who got lost in play, Williams was his direct opponent. Likewise when he was on his own, Wiliams lost Kennedy in play around the 50m mark and he ended up on his own in the goal square. He then his kicked 5th at the 1 minute mark of the second quarter before Wiliams was finally moved. He only kicked 5 the in last 3 quarters, as you correctly said 2 on Markovic and 3 on Morris.

An inconvenient truth for those people wanting to make Markovic the scapegoat while maintaining the myth that Williams is a gun defender who has just been unlucky with injury.

Tend to agree, I still don't know where his best spot is. He hasn't shown any level of dominance in any position. I think people are still reading and rating him on the draft write up.

bornadog
09-03-2014, 06:49 PM

This also proves what I have said for a very long time, we must not play guys like Hargrave and Morris on the genuine talls. 190 cm is not tall.

This immediately cuts out Morris and Young or even Wood to play on guys bigger than them. We need to stick with Roughy and Talia as our future for the KPP spots in the backline. Williams if on the ground, may go to the backline if we are in need.

I would prefer Morris on Darling. Talia on Kennedy, and Roughy on the resting rucks.

Bulldog Joe
09-03-2014, 07:11 PM
This also proves what I have said for a very long time, we must not play guys like Hargrave and Morris on the genuine talls. 190 cm is not tall.

This immediately cuts out Morris and Young or even Wood to play on guys bigger than them. We need to stick with Roughy and Talia as our future for the KPP spots in the backline. Williams if on the ground, may go to the backline if we are in need.

I would prefer Morris on Darling. Talia on Kennedy, and Roughy on the resting rucks.

They are the match ups I would like to see.

Greystache
09-03-2014, 07:18 PM

That's my first preference as well.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2014, 09:30 PM
That's my first preference as well.

Agree with that.

If things go badly we can switch it around, but I think that's the way we should start.

bulldogtragic
09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Agree with that.

If things go badly we can switch it around, but I think that's the way we should start.

Can't agree more with your agreement of the agreement of the initial comment.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Can't agree more with your agreement of the agreement of the initial comment.

Glad we could agree to agree. ;)

bulldogtragic
09-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Glad we could agree to agree. ;)

Agreed :)

1eyedog
10-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Talia on Kennedy? I can see that going pear-shaped very quickly, especially over there. I'd start with Williams there. At least Tom is big enough and quick enough to go with him both through the forward half and in the air.

Greystache
10-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Talia on Kennedy? I can see that going pear-shaped very quickly, especially over there. I'd start with Williams there. At least Tom is big enough and quick enough to go with him both through the forward half and in the air.

Based on Kennedy kicking 5 on Williams in a quarter the last time he played on him? I can see Williams on Kennedy going far beyond pear shaped.

always right
10-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Whilst I think Morris will line up on Kennedy, I'd be happy to see Talia take up the challenge. We are not a team in premiership contention so we need to expose Talia to the best forwards as often as possible if we see him as our best defender partnering with Roughy in the future.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Based on Kennedy kicking 5 on Williams in a quarter the last time he played on him? I can see Williams on Kennedy going far beyond pear shaped.
We should wear our red jumpers so Kennedy doesn't have visual memory of his ten goals.

ReLoad
10-03-2014, 09:52 PM
The good news is that there is no markovic to go on Kennedy :)

Torpedo
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
IIRC, Talia did alright on Darling late last year. 'Special' McAvaney commented that 'we will be seeing this matchup a lot over the next decade'.

Remi Moses
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Got a feeling Griff won't play.

1eyedog
11-03-2014, 04:32 PM
"Originally posted by Greystache

I know but that was then and it was one of those days, like when Petrie kicked 5 in the first quarter against Lake and then Grant in 2007. It happens and is unlikely to happen again. We are a much stronger team now and we apply more midfield pressure. In terms of good match ups I would prefer to see Tom start on him rather than Talia. Talia on Darling and Morris on Le Cras. We need to really clamp down on Le Cras and Morris is the man. Darling is way too mobile for Morris and often plays high up on the wing it's not a good match up for him.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-03-2014, 06:44 PM
WC will certainly cause us headaches defensively.

I think Roughy will go to Kennedy, JK is too big for Morris and too good at this stage for Talia. I'd put Morris on LeCras and Talia on Darling, but we'll have to be prepared to swap all 3 of these match-ups around.

I like Talia but I feel Darling could dominate him. However, he does tend to lead further up the ground, which may help negate the damage a little. They're pretty similar physically, but Darling is definitely quicker and cleaner.

Although JK can get on long leads (Roughys weakness) he isn't the quickest out of the blocks, which helps us. I think this is a solid match-up, providing we apply defensive pressure on their half backs and mids. If we don't, JK/Darling/Naitanui/Cox will destroy us.

Remi Moses
11-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Our midfield will be a huge advantage, as their forwards are.
Rely a lot on Priddis, and I wonder if someone will get a run with role on him.

LostDoggy
11-03-2014, 08:55 PM

I would say Wallis will get the run with role on Priddis

lemmon
11-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Will be a pair of beach blondes at the first bounce I reckon. Looks a good candidate for Wally, not quick and relatively inside, could be someone we get on-top of

F'scary
11-03-2014, 09:47 PM
B: Morris, Roughead, Johanissen
HB: Murphy, Talia, Stevens
HF: Crameri, Jones, Hunter
F: Stringer, Campbell, Dahlhaus
I: Boyd, Hrovat, Giansiracusa, Honeychurch (s)
E: Wood, Goodes, Higgins

Hrovat & Hunter are class and games must be got into them – now!

Higgins should come through the VFL a bit in spite of his lazy 30+ against Carton due to length of absence.

Same with Williams although his 30+ was something other than possessions.

Young, Goodes, Dickson, Picken haven’t shown enough form yet.

Jones has been held back as a secret weapon. Time to unleash him.

Honeychurch as sub – why not create a bit of interest when so many others haven’t earned their spot on form?

1eyedog
11-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I think their midfield will be our biggest headache, not their core mids but their outsiders. It's scary how fast they can move the ball on that pitch and the overlap they get. Gaff, Shuey, Wellingham et al. when they have it in D50 we need to keep our shape. We saw how quickly Freo moved the ball from end to end a couple of times a few weeks ago and we don't seem to yet have an answer for this.

bornadog
11-03-2014, 11:40 PM
WC will certainly cause us headaches defensively.

I think Roughy will go to Kennedy, JK is too big for Morris and too good at this stage for Talia. I'd put Morris on LeCras and Talia on Darling, but we'll have to be prepared to swap all 3 of these match-ups around.

I like Talia but I feel Darling could dominate him. However, he does tend to lead further up the ground, which may help negate the damage a little. They're pretty similar physically, but Darling is definitely quicker and cleaner.

Although JK can get on long leads (Roughys weakness) he isn't the quickest out of the blocks, which helps us. I think this is a solid match-up, providing we apply defensive pressure on their half backs and mids. If we don't, JK/Darling/Naitanui/Cox will destroy us.

The problem is if they try and stretch his who goes to Cox or Nicnat

bornadog
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Hrovat & Hunter are class and games must be got into them – now!?

Hrovat has been injured, I doubt he will play round one in the seniors

1eyedog
12-03-2014, 12:21 AM
The problem is if they try and stretch his who goes to Cox or Nicnat

Yep Roughie has to play on them and Tommy to Kennedy.

Mantis
12-03-2014, 06:43 AM

I'm less concerned about Priddis (who just does his job) than I am about the likes of Gaff, Shuey & Wellingham... On the open spaces of Subiaco than can cut you to pieces if given time & space.

always right
12-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm less concerned about Priddis (who just does his job) than I am about the likes of Gaff, Shuey & Wellingham... On the open spaces of Subiaco than can cut you to pieces if given time & space.

Agree....Boyd will take Priddis, Wallis to Shuey and perhaps Picken to run with Gaff. If this happens then Morris might have to play on LeCras, Roughy to the ruckmen, and Talia to Kennedy or Darling. Leaves us one short so perhaps Young or Williams play despite lack of exposed form. Alternative is for one of Murphy, JJ or Goodes to take LeCras. Big challenge at team selection.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Higgins should come through the VFL a bit in spite of his lazy 30+ against Carton due to length of absence.

Honeychurch as sub – why not create a bit of interest when so many others haven’t earned their spot on form?

No Cordy, F'scray, is that an oversight?
I like the look of your team, I'd also like Jones to be ready to provide another target to straighten us up, if he's in tune.
The scratch match this Thursday will be very interesting to see how they line up and to see who puts their hand up for rnd one selection. I'll back whoever the match committee back but I believe Higgins is a lock in.

1eyedog
12-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Surely Higgins needs to play before Honeychurch?

always right
12-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Yet you name Hrovat. Surely Higgins plays ahead of Hrovat.

robb
13-03-2014, 04:36 PM
HB: Murphy, Talia, Higgins
I: Boyd, Stevens, Wood, Giansiracusa(s)

E: Dickson, Goodes, Cordy

bornadog
13-03-2014, 04:46 PM

This is pretty close to what I would have, although the coach may prefer Goodes over JJ at this stage.

Ozza
13-03-2014, 05:07 PM
HB: Goodes; Talia; JJ/Murphy (fitness)
Int: Wallis; Gia; Macrae
Sub: Higgins.

Wood - probably unlucky, but Goodes gets nod due to possibly no Murphy, and needing him for kick outs etc.
JJ/Murphy - both started from a fair way back fitness wise, one of them to play.
Jones - no NAB1 or NAB2 seems to indicate he is on the 'out' at the moment unfortunately.
FUller & Darley - no sight of them yet.
Young - seems to be out of form (training & practice games). Would be good to get him in the team early in the year for flexibility.

Updating my earlier selections...seeing as Murphy looks likely...and Higgins appears destined for half back;

HB: Higgins; Talia; Murphy
Int: Wallis; Wood; Macrae

Think Goodes may end up missing. Hard to see both Higgins and Goodes play back, if Murphy plays. Wood and Picken as the other 2 to rotate back or mid.

Mantis
13-03-2014, 05:14 PM

I can't see us playing both of Jones & Stringer.. May not play either.

Not sold on Wood either, not sure what his role would be.

1eyedog
13-03-2014, 05:21 PM
HF: Crameri, Williams, Hunter

E: Dickson, Goodes, Jones

I agree with Robb with the exception of Williams to CHF and Jones not playing. If Williams actually manages to get through the match he offers more flexibility to go down back if required whereas Jones offers...well not much down there. I think we'll need Williams moreso than we'll need Jones as our forward line stocks look ok. We need a plan B down back if things go to shite.

Happy Days
13-03-2014, 10:00 PM
B: Morris, Roughead, Goodes
HF: Crameri, Williams, Hunter
I: Boyd, Stevens, Giansiracusa, Johanissen (s)

E: Dickson, Wood, Jones

Desperately wanted to get Dickson in to get the Leigon of Doom forward line up and running but his pre season was just way too awful. Goodies would have gone the same way but was close to BOG against the Blues. Williams keeps Jones out until he gets injured (I've got rd 3).

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Updating my earlier selections...seeing as Murphy looks likely...and Higgins appears destined for half back;

HB: Higgins; Talia; Murphy
Int: Wallis; Wood; Macrae

Think Goodes may end up missing. Hard to see both Higgins and Goodes play back, if Murphy plays. Wood and Picken as the other 2 to rotate back or mid.
Wow with Murphy and Higgins off half back, there's going to be plenty of dancing and rebounding going on and a few of the old one twos. I hope defence as it used to mean, perhaps 'negation' doesn't suffer. It could be exciting. We could omit Dickson and put one of Murphy or Higgins at half forward and replace them with JJ or Wood on the half backline. Don't think it will happen though.

Ozza
14-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow with Murphy and Higgins off half back, there's going to be plenty of dancing and rebounding going on and a few of the old one twos. I hope defence as it used to mean, perhaps 'negation' doesn't suffer. It could be exciting. We could omit Dickson and put one of Murphy or Higgins at half forward and replace them with JJ or Wood on the half backline. Don't think it will happen though.

I think amongst Morris, Roughead, Talia, Picken/Wood - we have 4 lock down defenders and Higgins and Murphy allow us to set up the play. At Subiaco - its possibly more important than any other ground, to have players who can be creative out of defence and find good options.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2014, 05:05 PM
I think amongst Morris, Roughead, Talia, Picken/Wood - we have 4 lock down defenders and Higgins and Murphy allow us to set up the play. At Subiaco - its possibly more important than any other ground, to have players who can be creative out of defence and find good options.

Bring it on! Go Dogs!

Mantis
14-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Struggling to find a spot for Picken as a small defender.. Could we play him as to do a run with role on an outside mid? Thinking Gaff.

The Underdog
14-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Given Griff has missed the amount of time he has with a "tight back", is it likely we put him on a 4 hour flight to play his first game with no lead up?

Throughandthrough
14-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Ins: me!

Flying to Perth next Sunday morning

F'scary
14-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Surely Higgins needs to play before Honeychurch?

I just think that taking on West Coast in WA we need more players behind the ball, not in front of it. Save Higgins for the Saints.

F'scary
14-03-2014, 09:51 PM
No Cordy, F'scray, is that an oversight?

It is pretty hard to look past him, but I managed.

LostDoggy
15-03-2014, 11:09 AM
In regards to Griffen. I'm about 99% sure he wouldn't play. If we are considering even playing Robert Murphy off the time he has had minutes wise, then i would suggest he would be perfect for sub. I wouldn't be picking them both. If these 2 lads have had a heap of match simulation/ match tailored running drills at training, then there's some merit. But from what i read between the lines, Griffen in particular will not play.

ratsmac
15-03-2014, 07:00 PM
If Griffen is fit he plays, it's as simple as that. Griff doesn't need to be played through Footscray to get match fit. If they are worried about his fitness they will use him as a sub. Same goes for Murphy. Both these players completed most of the pre season and were unlucky to miss the practice matches. They are professional enough to come straight into the team. If we lose, we lose, but I believe we a a better chance of winning with them both playing, even if they are a little under done. That said, they will be better for the run against Norf the following week.

LostDoggy
16-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Todays paper says Honeychurch will be picked in the team

bulldogtragic
16-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Todays paper says Honeychurch will be picked in the team

That raises more questions than it answers.

Sub? Gia?

Griff out, Dahl more mid?

Higgins defiantly back, Murphy not right?

Etc, etc.

Apart from being a decent prospect, he must be impressing BMac to no end.