PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Demetriou to resign?

Greystache
03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Reports are he is planning to step down at season's end. Press conference to start at 10am

bornadog
03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Confirmed will step down at end of season

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
ATP or Crown?

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Demetriou to quit as AFL CEO after season

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/demetriou-to-quit-as-afl-ceo-after-season-20140303-33uov.html

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is to quit the role at the end of the 2014 season, his 11th at the helm.

Demetriou made the announcement at a media conference alongside AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick on Monday.

The 52-year-old Demetriou revealed he'd informed Fitzpatrick of his decision about a month ago while they were in the United States attending the NFL's Super Bowl. He then told the Commission on February 17.

Demetriou has overseen a period of great growth and expansion, but one also badly scarred by the on-going Essendon supplements scandal.

The wealth of the game has grown enormously through revenue from big TV deals while the competition has widened to 18 teams with the addition of the Gold Coast Suns and Greater Western Sydney.

However, Demetriou has come in for increased criticism in the past year for his handling of the Essendon affair which prompted a continuing anti-doping investigation.

While reiterating regret that he didn't act sooner on mounting concerns about the governance of sports science in the game, Demetriou strongly defended his role since the Essendon scandal broke in early 2013.

And he insisted it had not had a major impact on him personally.

"No, because I'll tell you what I didn't do - I never injected anyone," said Demetriou.

"And all I know (about) what we did was as a game (we) always put the players first to protect the integrity of the game.

"It's had no impact on me whatsoever."

Fitzpatrick said the AFL had hired a company to conduct the search for Demetriou's replacement.

Demetriou's deputy Gillon McLachlan is expected to be a contender.

While Demetriou will have no official say in selecting his replacement, he did say he believed the person would ideally have a football background.

Demetriou himself is expected to be in big demand as he comes onto the job market but he ruled out moves into either politics or another role in sports administration.

Demetriou hoped the year-long anti-doping saga surrounding Essendon would not taint his legacy in the game.

"That will be for others to judge," said Demetriou.

"Hopefully people won't take a snapshot of one point in time.

"Everything at the AFL has been done as a collective.

"We've achieved so much of what we've done as a collective."

Demetriou defended the AFL's actions since the Essendon scandal broke in early 2013.

"The AFL has done all it can do in this situation. I'm proud of how we acted last year," he said.

"We've enhanced the anti-doping code. What happens thereafter is in (anti-doping agency) ASADA's hands. We are well equipped with any issue going forward."

Asked if he accepted any responsibility for the scandal, Demetriou responded strongly.

"I don't accept any responsibility for people who try to infiltrate the game," he said.

"Even as good as our integrity department was, we didn't pick that up.

"That's not a fault. You don't pick up every speeding fine. The AFL's in much better shape today as an industry because of what we learned last year."

Demetriou said he would leave with no regrets.

"I've always said it was a privilege and an honour to serve the game," said Demetriou.

"I also believe the time is right.

"The growth of the game has been extraordinary.

"It's been a wonderful journey full of challenges, but I wouldn't have it any other way."

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 01:16 PM
So I'm assuming Adrian Anderson asked a while back if he had a shot at the title?

bornadog
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Just hope the new CEO is sympathetic towards us.

Eastdog
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM
So I'm assuming Adrian Anderson asked a while back if he had a shot at the title?

How long will the AFL take you reckon in appointing a successor.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 01:23 PM
How long will the AFL take you reckon in appointing a successor.

Good question ED, I think it's no different than any other 'political' type appointment, therefore I'd say the commission (unofficialy) has known for some time who it is.

Greystache
03-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Good question ED, I think it's no different than any other 'political' type appointment, therefore I'd say the commission (unofficialy) has known for some time who it is.

I expect that Gillon McLachlan is already in the process of receiving a handover. If there's a search process conducted for the best replacement it will only be a public relations exercise.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 01:33 PM
I expect that Gillon McLachlan is already in the process of receiving a handover. If there's a search process conducted for the best replacement it will only be a public relations exercise.

Agree. Maybe they do the PR, but I actually see the PR exercise offensive to people's intellect and a waste of everyone's time. Gillon seems capable so if they want to promote him, which they do, they should just say so.

Twodogs
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Just hope the new CEO is sympathetic towards us.

Me too. This is a concern for us.

Twodogs
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Agree. Maybe they do the PR, but I actually see the PR exercise offensive to people's intellect and a waste of everyone's time. Gillon seems capable so if they want to promote him, which they do, they should just say so.

I don't think he is a shoe in. He wore a lot of flack from the Essendon thing last year.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Me too. This is a concern for us.

The silver lining to that is Peter Gordon is already president, and maybe the supporter base needs a reminder of the value of buying a membership outside of personal reasons.

Greystache
03-03-2014, 01:49 PM

The world these days seems to be geared around convincing idiots to believe what you want them to. Look no further than when Collingwood announced after a global search they had scored the coup of securing the best football CEO in the world. It just happened to be that candidate sat in the office next to Eddie McGuire and was already working for the club. When questioned by a journalist about such a coincidence, Eddie just said it was further proof that Collingwood has the best people in the world working for them. Moronic Collingwood supporters were even boasting about their "coup".

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
The world these days seems to be geared around convincing idiots to believe what you want them to. Look no further than when Collingwood announced after a global search they had scored the coup of securing the best football CEO in the world. It just happened to be that candidate sat in the office next to Eddie McGuire and was already working for the club. When questioned by a journalist about such a coincidence, Eddie just said it was further proof that Collingwood has the best people in the world working for them. Moronic Collingwood supporters were even boasting about their "coup".

We are indeed in strange times when being honest and direct (the way I remember adults in my youth) is a foreign concept and is applauded. Just look at The police force, their arguments that more police identifying more crimes is the sole factor pushing up the crime rate. I hated that kind of spin, but I guess that's why I got in trouble from time to time. And worse than that, more and more journalists are not questioning the spin and like you say moronic people are becoming more ignorant. Hence Collingwood's increasing membership!

bornadog
03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Thank God for this:

McGuire not interested in AFL's top job
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-03/mcguire-no-to-ceo-job

Greystache
03-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Thank God for this:

After his performance as Channel 9 CEO for the 12 months he lasted he'd be laughed at if he applied. He's just putting it out there so it looks like it's on his own terms. Convince the idiots to believe what you want them to.

bulldogtragic
03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Thank God for this:

Neither am I. Will afl.com.au do an article on BT knocking the job back from an organisation who would never, ever give me the job???

The Doctor
03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Andrew Demetriou has been the best administrator the AFL has seen and arguably the best in Australian Sport overall.

His long record of achievements speak for themselves and he won so many battles for the good of the game. The sport, as a business, faces so many unique challenges on field and off field. Challenges no other sport has to face with such scrutiny and with so much potential social or business impact. During his tenure he handled these mostly in convincing fashion.

In this gig he has to speak so many languages, football speak, corporate speak, media speak, political speak etc. he was always articulate, forthright but easy to understand. A remarkable skill.

As a long time doggies supporter never have I felt my club was in safer hands. I never knew this feeling prior to Demetriou. Now again I wonder what the future will bring.

Sadly for the game he will leave at the end of the year but with the game as strong as it could possibly be. The only thing I find ironic is that after all the turmoil of the Essendon scandal is that once Demetriou goes the last man left standing will be the villain most central to the cause of it, James Hird, and that is the only thing he didn't win.

GVGjr
03-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Andrew Demetriou has been the best administrator the AFL has seen and arguably the best in Australian Sport overall.

His long record of achievements speak for themselves and he won so many battles for the good of the game. The sport, as a business, faces so many unique challenges on field and off field. Challenges no other sport has to face with such scrutiny and with so much potential social or business impact. During his tenure he handled these mostly in convincing fashion.

In this gig he has to speak so many languages, football speak, corporate speak, media speak, political speak etc. he was always articulate, forthright but easy to understand. A remarkable skill.

As a long time doggies supporter never have I felt my club was in safer hands. I never knew this feeling prior to Demetriou. Now again I wonder what the future will bring.

Doc agree with everything you have said. Demetriou has led us strongly through many challenges and has done a good job for the competition.

I think his weaknesses have been his denial of the level of drugs through the competition, the tanking issue and the ongoing rules changes. His strengths have been his commitment to all the clubs and the way his has kept the prices increases under control for the public.

I hope his replacement is focused on fixing the equalisation issue.

Would David Gallop be a consideration?

The Doctor
03-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Would David Gallop be a consideration?

He would be out of his depth.

boydogs
03-03-2014, 08:56 PM
I hope his replacement is focused on fixing the equalisation issue.

Me too. Demetriou was good at growing the game which lead to securing a mammoth TV rights deal, now it's time to focus on creating a more competitive league.

Remi Moses
03-03-2014, 10:01 PM
The AFL has to fix a problem they helped generate. I.e fixture debacle
In whole he has done a great job, and as I've said previously if other administrators had been in control we'd have less teams here.The big job now is to get the equalisation right

Ghost Dog
04-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Although I admit to being more than frustrated with the tanking and peptides ordeal, you have to give it to him for the way he's juggled the different footys at once.
The public has to see and hear the AFL CEO quite a bit, in the media. Andrew is pleasant enough to listen to, very sharp, with a solid ethnic Australian suburban up bringing, then add the ability to rub shoulders with everyone, from auskickers to journalists.
I imagine it will be difficult to find someone with his mix of skills and experience.