PDA

View Full Version : Intraclub 2014

bornadog
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2014%20-%20Galleries/WB%20AFL%20Photos%20Portraits/311740-tlsnewslandscape.jpg
Shaun Higgins poses for a photograph during the Western Bulldogs 2014 team photo day at Whitten Oval, Melbourne on January 29, 2014. (Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Media) (Editor's Note: A digital filter has been applied to this image)

RELATED

Practice makes perfect for Footscray (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-02-17/practice-makes-perfect-for-footscray)

In a battle for bragging rights, Western Bulldogs and Footscray Bulldogs will go head to head in the inaugural intra-club match at Victoria University Whitten Oval on Thursday 13 March 2014.
The match marks the first time that Footscray has played at the Oval since 1996, when the Club changed its name in acknowledgement of the team’s greater connection to the Western Region of Melbourne.

Become a 2014 Western Bulldogs member today and help us 'Gather The Pack.’ (http://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/)
Club President Peter Gordon said the clash between the two Bulldogs-affiliated teams marks the beginning of a new era and a significant annual event.

“We thought it might be a good idea to start a tradition in terms of the re-emergence of Footscray this year,” Gordon said.
“On the 13th of March you will see at Victoria University Whitten Oval a start of a new tradition – the showdown for the crown, the derby - Footscray versus the Western Bulldogs.

“So if you can make it out here on the 13th of March – come along to cheer on the Footscray Team in their first competitive game at Victoria University Whitten Oval and to also a cheer on our boys for the AFL Season.”

The evening event will cater to members and fans of all ages, with a range of activities on offer before the first bounce at 6pm.
A variety of food and beverage stalls available, while there will also be interviews with Club officials to provide the latest football insights on the eve of season 2014.

An autograph session will also be available from 4pm, alongside footy skills activities and a designated kidzone.
Bulldogs staff will also be on hand to help with all your membership and merchandise needs, to ensure you’re best prepared for the season ahead.
Western Bulldogs v Footscray Bulldogs
Thursday 13 March 2014
Activities from 4pm
Intraclub Match: from 6pm
Victoria University Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly St, West Footscray

bornadog
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Too bad its not on a Saturday

bulldogtragic
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Yeah it's an interesting decision isn't it. I know there are rostering issues, but the VFL team is going to Bendigo a few days after and practice matches. And there's a long weekend a few days before. Perhaps cancelling the practice games, or moving the date might be considered to maximize fans. Making it an event on this particular long weekend might give something to the tradition too??

jazzadogs
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM

Hopefully they get a decent response this year, but plenty of feedback re: the date/time and can change things accordingly for 2015. As has been suggested on other threads, this has the potential to be a 'family day' for the adult fans.

bornadog
13-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Hrovat will be playing for WB tomorrow, great to see Clay playing for VFL and Murphy also set to line up.

Should be a good day.

Mofra
13-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Smith playing is a real positive, fingers crossed he gets through and doesn't kill anyone

bulldogtragic
13-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Spewing I can't get down tonight, I look forward to ample excitement on woof tonight with updates fellow posters :)

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Anyone know the team lists yet?

I'm guessing with Footscray playing Bendigo on Saturday, and the intra club being only 16 v 16, It will
probably be more the WB possibles vs probables.

ReLoad
13-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm just glad we get a win before the season proper ;)

Happy Days
13-03-2014, 12:52 PM
I can't cop because it's on a Thursday so duh.

So really hoping for the usual posting quality from people whose jobs don't suck.

Ozza
13-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Anyone know the team lists yet?

I'm guessing with Footscray playing Bendigo on Saturday, and the intra club being only 16 v 16, It will
probably be more the WB possibles vs probables.

Yes - its more a WB AFL intra club - than a WB v Footscray. Footscray won't have their full match day staff there or anything like that. And I don't think many of the top up players (if any) will play.

Eastdog
13-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Look forward to hearing how tonight goes from woofers who will be in attendance. It's frustrating we have to wait till Round 2 for our first home match but at least footy is back.

SonofScray
13-03-2014, 10:33 PM
I went down after an early finish to work in Sunshine. Met up with my parents, we had a really great afternoon down at our home ground. It is a really special place in the tale of our family, so to be able to sit in our old reserved seats and watch footy there again is terrific.

16 a side, VFL v AFL intra-club, I am glad they have reintroduced it. It is a nice marker to the end of preseason and the start of the real stuff. The crowd was very solid and you got a sense that people realise things are tracking well, in a way that we mightn't ever have done before. A quiet, content anticipation.

I was pleased to see Smith out there cracking in. He looked solid for a bloke I assumed was still 6 months away.

Higgins' much touted class and poise was on the display. The finger pointing was not. This is likely to be "his year" in earnest. I've been harsh on him mostly, but a 30 posse game off HBF playing the way he did today would be very valuable. In fact, it'd be worth a few extra wins. My hopes are officially up.

Tutt shows more promise than perhaps he gets credit for on the forums I read. He fumbled a bit, but was mostly tidy and ran hard into and through traffic. I'd pick him in Round One.

Ling Jong might be the player on the list I most want to see make it. Love the way he plays the game.

Ayce has got better. We've invested so much, I'm happy to just wait and see now. No point in getting angry and writing him off. It'll be a pleasant surprise if he makes it.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks SOS, great write up. I didn't finish up at work till after 6.30 so didn't make it down but very happy to hear it was a good event.

bornadog
14-03-2014, 12:09 AM
I went down today and thoroughly enjoyed being at home with a pretty good crowd in attendance. Peter Gordon and Simon Gaelic stood in front of the EJ stand in the crowd.

Some observations

* Really pleased to to see Clay move so well and had a lot of the ball, his disposal is still a little suss.
* Stringer flashed in and out and kicked a couple of goals within minutes of each other- one was a big kick from outside 50
* JJ seemed to have the fumbles, used his pace alot and ended up with a goal.
* Murphy was on and off the ground, again no signs of injury.
* Cordy is now a giant and starting to look stronger. Took a contested mark one out with Redpath, out muscling him and kicked an easy goal. I wish he would do that more often.
* Boyd kicked a couple of really nice goals and seems he is more relaxed without the pressure of the captaincy .
* Talia played for the blue team (Footscray), and was very solid out pointing Jones. jones did kick a goal after a nice pass and lead.
* Crameri, Cooney Macrae didn't play
* Bonti played for the red team and did a couple of nice things.
* Prudden picked up a few kicks, Howard was ok, Sam Darley took a nice mark over Hrovat, playing one on one.

The quarters were only 15 min and players were on and off, so hard yo gauge. Ask me questions on players and I will see if I can remember more.

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2014, 12:36 AM
So who wasn't up to scratch?...
Everyone can't be a winner so who dissappointed and who won't be making the trip west?

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2014, 12:43 AM
No Griff as well i'm assuming? surely wouldn't play round 1 now.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Saw the game from next to the interchange bench. The viewing level is six inches lower than the playing surface. Our boys look very fit, big and strong.
My impressions:
Higgins was classy like he was against Carlton, clean handling, working hard, making space and providing options even after having dished off. It was classic windy from the east, the Geelong Rd end. Western Bulldogs, in red, didn't score in the first quarter but kicked six in the second.Murphy moved well and looked unhampered by the elbow. Bontempelli took a good grab as did Cordy which were sights for sore eyes. Hrovat playing for the ones moved well and got a bit of the ball. Clay Smith laid a couple of his trademark tackles which made me hope he wouldn't injure anyone. He found a lot of the ball. Lin Jong was another who stood out for Footscray, like Smith tackling well and finding his own ball. Cordy played ruck and won the hitouts consistently. No forwards stood out although Stringer kicked a couple in succession, Roberts for Footscray didn't do much that I noticed. Tutt ran hard, laid a couple of good tackles got plenty of possessions. Young played better than he did v Carlton. Goodes played well enough to be in the team for rnd 1.

Twodogs
14-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I thought Cordy covered than usual.and no Minson, Williams or Griff either. Dahl again looked a class above with a couple of things he did.

Twodogs
14-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Everyone can't be a winner so who dissappointed and who won't be making the trip west?

Liam Jones won't be going

Twodogs
14-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Young was good when he came on.

LostDoggy
14-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Matty Boyd kicked a couple of nice long goals with the wind. It was a rather strong breeze blowing towards the Barkly St end. Dale Morris, Libba and Lachie Hunter didn't play either. Bonts did a couple of nice things.

jeemak
14-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the reports guys. Nice to hear some reports that don't lambaste Cordy as a reflex (deserved, or otherwise)!

For the most part I think the round one team is already picked and today is just a runaround. Glad those who got to see it anyway would be happy with an afternoon away from the office/production line/etc. to enjoy footy with Footscray at the WO.

ratsmac
14-03-2014, 01:28 AM
I thought it was a very hard game to judge anyone by. It was very one sided and bruise free football as you would expect. I wouldn't look too far into anyone's form apart from maybe some of the younger group who maybe trying to impress the coaches. That said it was very pleasing to see Clay Smith playing and moving freely. It was nice seeing Stringer string together (pun intended) a couple goals in row, and missed a getable one too. And so he should get off the leash against a lesser opponent. Tutt was busy as was Higgins. I thought Jones could of shown a bit more in a game with no real pressure. I really like the way Prudden goes about his football, he seems to be a natural sort of player, he reminds me of Mitch Hahn.
It was great to see so many of our supporters turn out on a Thursday night. It was a nice atmosphere. Carn the scray!

Remi Moses
14-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the report folks.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2014, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the reports.

Heard Bonti showed some good signs.

Out of all the players we've drafted for many many years, I have found Stringer the most exciting and Bonti the most intruiging. I can't wait to see how he develops this year. The other week at Visy, I couldn't believe how big Bonti looked - a really big frame that will be scary when he adds strength/muscle.

ledge
14-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Bonts has put on a few kilos but still has skinny arms, he had his knee strapped a bit and looked like a little limp unless its his natural gait.
Higgins did what he liked , gee he can read the play and died the one two well.
Boyds side step goal was as clean as they get.
And the highlight?
The hawk mixing it with the crowd

SonofScray
14-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Fuller was a guy I didn't notice at all, despite efforts to keep an eye out for him.

Mantis
14-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Who was missing: Crameri, Hunter, Macrae, Stevens, Morris, Griffen, Grant, Minson, Williams & Cooney,I think that's all... Libba was definitely out there 39M.

It was a poor standard game due to the tricky wind, bruise free style and the quality of players missing. Happy with the way Smith, Murphy, Higgins (still tried to showboat a bit too often, but moved nicely) went about their work coming off injuries.

Pretty much stock standard from the more senior players and some good signs from a few younger ones (Bonts, Darley & Prudden)

soupman
14-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm used to sitting in the top levels at Etihad and the MCG so struggled to get a good idea of players impact over the whole match from ground level, but my impressions were:

Bontempelli: He is big, frequently I couldn't see him because I assumed he was Talia or Austin or somebody. Moves smoothly and is pretty well built already, certainly much better built than players like Everitt and Grant were in their first season. Looked good with the ball in hand, very calm.

Higgins: Like many I'm generally sceptical about Higgins showing good form, but he looked the real deal. Very confident and assured coming off half back, used the ball well (did a perfect driving pass to Dahlhaus in the second) and was shrugging tackles. I was impressed.

Stringer: Was pretty good for most of the match. Had a purple patch in the second quarter where he should have kicked 3 by the 5 minute mark, and was involved for much of the match. You just feel like something is going to happen when he gets it, and he gets it a lot.

Smith: Great to see him out there and was probably one of Footscrays best players over the course of the match. Thought he used it pretty well and great to see him attacking the contest again. One of my favourite players.

Tutt: I didn't see much of the possesions around the contests looking through bodies and stuff, so I'm not sure what Tutt's impact was like in there, but around the ground there were a few times where he found space and looked to move the ball long and quick. I think he'll play round 1. Did commit to the contest a couple of times which was pleasing.

Roberts: Looked decent in the first quarter when Footscray were going alright. Struggled after that but wasplaying on Roughead and was playing for the side that barely had an inside 50 after half time though so can be forgiven.

Pearce: Played as a defensive forward on Murphy who didn't do much so maybe that's a role we envisage for him in the early rounds to play on someone like Hill. Didn't get the ball himself though.

Hrovat: Had a good second quarter, you can see him always thinking about his positioning and when he gets the ball he searches out a target. Seeing as he was in the senior side it looks like he is rated pretty highly and may feature early despite his injury.

Dickson: Continued his pre-season form and things just didn't click. Fumbled a bit and struggled to find the ball. I wouldn't pick him until he's had a couple of good games in the reserves.

Howard: Despite a shocking cross goal kick to start the match I thought his first quarter was decent. Combined with others alright and looked to get the ball moving. Still wouldn't pick him.

Talia: Got a heap of intercepts including one where Stringer kicked it to him when he was standing on the mark for the set shot. Just positions himself smartly. Gets a lot of the footy for a key defender. May have tried a kick across goal that landed straight in Gia's arms (the opposition) at the top of the goalsquare which conceded a very easy goal (May have been Austin who turned this over, but I'm pretty sure it was Talia).

Darley: Was very quiet until the last quarter where he got a handful of touches. Looks very light on his feet and his kicks have a nice trajectory. Beyond that I have no enhanced judgement on whether he is a player or not.

Greenwood: Got the ball a bit is tiny and unlike our other tiny guys not sure he offers much to compensate for this (Hrovat is smart and zips around, Tutt has pace and long kicking etc)

Fuller: Played a bit on Gia and didn't do much defensively (but neither did Gia. Looks like he will take a while to get into the swing of it, didn't see him kick it yesterday. Did get sucked in at least twice where his opponent just ran around him which was a bit disappointing.

JJ: Did some great double bounce runs pretty high up the ground where he backed in his pace and evasive abilities. I was pleased with his keeness to take the game on.

Redpath: Got the ball a bit in the defensive half for Footscray. Looks ok, just fumbles a bit or doesn't quite execute a skill properly which leaves him vulnerable at times. Not the worst player we've had on our list though.

Goodes: Was good in the first half, didn't really notice him in the second.

Jong: Really impressed with Jong and was Footscrays best player I thought. I've never seen him get involved in those quick handballing chains around contests to find the free player before, but he as very involved in these. Also used the ball smartly by foot, was physical and there was one moment where he received the ball on the run on the wing and I was very impressed with not only how fast he was going, but how quickly he got to max speed. I get the feeling he is a favourite of McCartney and will be promoted as soon as a spot opens up. Has had an excellent pre-season. Reminds me a bit of how exciting Wood was athletically when he first emerged, except Jong can actually find the ball regularly.

Cordy: I thought his ruckwork was decent, and he certainly looked more assured physically. Didn't really get any possesions though, and whilst his mark was pleasing to see, I thought it was more through good fortune than and outbodying or positioning on his behalf. It was a long kick out of the centre that carried further than expected due to the wind, and Redpath lunged himself into front position where he could have taken the mark infront of Cordy or spoiled the other key forward right in front of him, and the ball just carried an extra couple of meters and Cordy managed to hold of an out of position Redpath.

As for the Footscray players, they rotated heavily and I doubt many played more than a half in game time, so few of them had the opportunity to actually impact the game. Anthony Barry looked good to me though (68), played up forward and is a good size and had a nice leap. Seeing them out there though it is clear that apart from Fort and Sullivan the rest of the Footscray talls are coming from the Western Bulldogs list.

bornadog
14-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I was not impressed with Campbell one bit and think he has along way to go yet.

Ozza
14-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I headed over wityh my young bloke for 3 quarters.

Higgins was the stand out and brought his own footy. Libba got first hands on the ball whenever he liked. JJ showed plenty and Stringer and Dahlhaus were lively.

Murphy will have no problems playing round 1. Clay Smith moved, and presented body-wise, like a bloke who hadn't actually missed any footy.

Really concerning that Griffen still hasn't played.

If Ayce rucks week in week out at VFL level - he may well become quite dominant there.

bornadog
14-03-2014, 10:19 AM
If Ayce rucks week in week out at VFL level - he may well become quite dominant there.

I prefer Ayce as a ruckman instead of standing in the goal square looking like a big dawk. He is generally mobile for his size and really doesn't have a clue about being a full forward.

azabob
14-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Dominant at VFL level or AFL level?

Ozza
14-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Dominant at VFL level or AFL level?

VFL level.

Ozza
14-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I prefer Ayce as a ruckman instead of standing in the goal square looking like a big dawk. He is generally mobile for his size and really doesn't have a clue about being a full forward.

I tend to agree. The only future I can see for Ayce in the game, is if he becomes a genuine ruckman.
He is about as effective at Full Forward in the AFL as I would be.

Bulldog4life
14-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all the posters for their insightful comments. I really appreciated it.

chef
14-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Yep, thanks guys.

Ozza
14-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Good effort to get about 3000 supporters to the ground on a Thursday evening. Good cue up at the sausage sizzle/can bar !

Twodogs
14-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Nobody mentioned the punch up at half back in the third(?) quarter?

A few of the defenders were trying to get the match ups right, some one-I think it was Talia-pushed an opponent out the way to get to his man and copped a shoulder charge for his trouble and then it was on.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Soupaman very astute analysis that added insight to my observations.
I saw the game whilst leaning on the fence next to the interchange bench.
Monty was next to me as the players came off for interchange. I put up the shutters and didn't look, as I found it a bit confronting and too personal being sensitive! I wouldn't want Monty confronting me as I came off, he looked a bit harsh and I could see the emotions in the player’s eyes at a glance as if they were looking at Monty. Campbell copped a bit and had that hang dog look a bit; Bonts looked a bit guarded or wary at how he was to be accosted as he came off, although you can tell he is inwardly very composed.
To be near arms length from Murphy in playing mode was larger than life and resulted in me having a vivid dream last night that he visited me and we shared Irishness, catholic upbringing, perception and identity.
Back at the interchange bench, it’s obvious that the prediction that Gavin Brown was going to be the prototype of future footballers was conservative. They're all big and strong. When I look back at the great onballers like Johnny Birt, Bob Skilton, Ian Stewart, Bobby Skilton, Georgie Bissett, Geoff Jennings, Barry Cable etc, such great footballers with the most supreme skills by hand and foot yet would not get a contract today. Just like in tennis which now rewards strength more than skill and only people with a much larger frame have success, the modern onballer is big! Marcus Bontempelli, an on baller would cast a shadow over Big Nick, Jeff Sarau and ruckmen of earlier eras. Bonts is a leviathan of a centreman. You’ve got to have strength in the contest. Our players’ thighs and shoulders are huge. Easton Wood is like a warrior and like all of them, when they are running hard right at you to get to the interchange, it’s like being in the path of a racehorse.
Murphy, Higgins and Gia are like the coaches when they come off, yelling instructions to the players on field. Murphy, after a passage: “(… I forget to whom) you’ve got to run back hard to the goal square…”
Bob Murphy in my mind is the second biggest identity to have played at our club in fifty years and I only realised it from two metres at yesterday’s practice game.

Happy Days
14-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Nobody mentioned the punch up at half back in the third(?) quarter?

A few of the defenders were trying to get the match ups right, some one-I think it was Talia-pushed an opponent out the way to get to his man and copped a shoulder charge for his trouble and then it was on.

Did Wayde Skipper jump the fence to get involved?

No one threw hands in a scratch match quite like Skip.

Greystache
14-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I went along as well, but I brought my dog, so spent most of the game allowing people to take photos of him. Not much more to say that others haven't already added, it's was pretty scrappy, with a strong wind to one end. The senior players looks to be playing bruise free, while some of the fringe types were going in a bit stronger. The VFL players rotated a lot.

Higgins was easily better than the second best player on the ground. The game was really open and he carved up.

Jong really showed a bit. He was tough and hard but looked to get outside often too, and was always where the ball was.

Fuller looked the same as the previous couple of times I've seen him. I think there'll be disappointment around the club at how far off the pace he looks. He's going to need to improve incredibly quickly to feature in selection plans this year I'd suspect.

Pearce really looks to take the game on. I'm not sure he has the ability to pull it off, but he's not going to die wondering which is to his credit.

Whitten Oval is almost impossible to follow the play at boundary level. For anyone going to the VFL games I'd definitely recommend sitting higher up.

Greystache
14-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Talia: Got a heap of intercepts including one where Stringer kicked it to him when he was standing on the mark for the set shot. Just positions himself smartly. Gets a lot of the footy for a key defender. May have tried a kick across goal that landed straight in Gia's arms (the opposition) at the top of the goalsquare which conceded a very easy goal (May have been Austin who turned this over, but I'm pretty sure it was Talia).

Definitely Austin, happened right in front of me. He wasn't too bad on the day, but that was a bad moment.

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Whitten Oval is almost impossible to follow the play at boundary level. For anyone going to the VFL games I'd definitely recommend sitting higher up.

Yeah you forget how nice and close the stands at etihad and the MCG are to the boundary these days.
Even sitting in the Whitten stand you feel like you are a fair way away. Not as bad as behind the goals at Waverley back in the 80's though.

choconmientay
15-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Some pics from the Intraclub outing 2014.

Fans with Doug Hawkins:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/13144082075_8ed8e4076e_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144082075/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144082075/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Ayce Cordy:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2347/13144442534_3c5e4f3e6f_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144442534/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-12 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144442534/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2647/13144554413_cacd8117e8_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144554413/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-60 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144554413/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3788/13145261933_c23f911e31_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145261933/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-163 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145261933/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Marcus Bontempelli: (side line coaching)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/13145215344_0557c2f0cc_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145215344/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-134 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145215344/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/13145052283_4c027bba64_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145052283/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-135 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145052283/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Libba:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/13145339984_daff126a19_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145339984/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-151 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145339984/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3674/13144780523_985fc9eb0d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144780523/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-94 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144780523/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2590/13144788753_4709ea8b07_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144788753/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-95 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144788753/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Murphy: (moving freely):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/13144540784_1324879974_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144540784/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-26 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144540784/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/13144639524_8b9c1c6d03_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144639524/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-42 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13144639524/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Cheer squad meet (with Peter Gordon mini speech):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/13145441623_c4ecc46b9d_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145441623/)
wb_vs_footscray_2014-186 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/13145441623/) by choconmientay (http://www.flickr.com/people/111272802@N04/), on Flickr

Check out the whole Set ( You may spot some one you know in the crowd):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/sets/72157642337731973/

Enjoy.

Eastdog
15-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Greats photos choconmientay. Thanks very much for sharing especially to those that didn't go.

bornadog
15-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Some great photos thank you for posting

Greystache
15-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Great job choc, we always appreciate you posting your photos.

Twodogs
15-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Agree with all the others in extending Thanks. Great photos by the way.

Remi Moses
15-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Wonder if that home on the corner is still a funeral home?
Best view of the ground.

KT31
15-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Wonder if that home on the corner is still a funeral home?
Best view of the ground.

Couple of us on Woof went to school with the (from memory) the funeral directors son, they lived in the house.
Son had a great nickname, Quincy.:)

Thank you for the photo's Choc.

ledge
15-03-2014, 10:22 AM
I was at the game but due to being with some mates I didn't go to the cheer squad meeting, was anything of interest said and was it an ok event ?

choconmientay
15-03-2014, 11:26 AM
I was at the game but due to being with some mates I didn't go to the cheer squad meeting, was anything of interest said and was it an ok event ?

Ledge,

It was the first time ever for me to see what the new Cheer squad is about. The meet went for 30-45mins. I left quickly after that to get the kids home and back to school next day.

Cheer squad meeting initial crowd of 40-50 and increased to about 60-70.
Free soft drinks and nibbles

Peter Gordon mini speech:
- Wanted more representations for the dogs during the game (used Freo game in Geelong as example)
- Spoke about Cheer squad to be a fun experience for everyone
- Club will take an active role in the squad
- Asked the fans to take initiative, put forward ideas for the squad
- Code of conduct for fans
- Simon Garlick (Fun police and ... control freak)
Here is the video of the mini speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8WoY87nGE&feature=youtu.be

The gathering is for new members to know each other.
Every member will get a cheer squad hoodie and endorse them to wear at the game.
Jordan Roughead (Squad ambassador) came at the end. If you guys want, I could upload the video with him having a chat with everyone.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the pics.

ledge
15-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks mate , I was going thought the museum with a mate at the time it was on , do they plan having more ?

stefoid
15-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Soupaman very astute analysis that added insight to my observations.
I saw the game whilst leaning on the fence next to the interchange bench.
Monty was next to me as the players came off for interchange. I put up the shutters and didn't look, as I found it a bit confronting and too personal being sensitive! I wouldn't want Monty confronting me as I came off, he looked a bit harsh and I could see the emotions in the player’s eyes at a glance as if they were looking at Monty. Campbell copped a bit and had that hang dog look a bit; Bonts looked a bit guarded or wary at how he was to be accosted as he came off, although you can tell he is inwardly very composed.
To be near arms length from Murphy in playing mode was larger than life and resulted in me having a vivid dream last night that he visited me and we shared Irishness, catholic upbringing, perception and identity.
Back at the interchange bench, it’s obvious that the prediction that Gavin Brown was going to be the prototype of future footballers was conservative. They're all big and strong. When I look back at the great onballers like Johnny Birt, Bob Skilton, Ian Stewart, Bobby Skilton, Georgie Bissett, Geoff Jennings, Barry Cable etc, such great footballers with the most supreme skills by hand and foot yet would not get a contract today. Just like in tennis which now rewards strength more than skill and only people with a much larger frame have success, the modern onballer is big! Marcus Bontempelli, an on baller would cast a shadow over Big Nick, Jeff Sarau and ruckmen of earlier eras. Bonts is a leviathan of a centreman. You’ve got to have strength in the contest. Our players’ thighs and shoulders are huge. Easton Wood is like a warrior and like all of them, when they are running hard right at you to get to the interchange, it’s like being in the path of a racehorse.
Murphy, Higgins and Gia are like the coaches when they come off, yelling instructions to the players on field. Murphy, after a passage: “(… I forget to whom) you’ve got to run back hard to the goal square…”
Bob Murphy in my mind is the second biggest identity to have played at our club in fifty years and I only realised it from two metres at yesterday’s practice game.

Ha ha, stupendous game report. POTY and its only March.