Fri 14 Mar Collingwood v Fremantle Dockers Etihad Stadium 7:50pm 7:50pm Seven

Sat 15 Mar GWS Giants v Sydney Swans GIANTS Stadium 4:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

Sat 15 Mar Gold Coast Suns v Richmond Metricon Stadium 7:40pm 6:40pm Seven

Sun 16 Mar Carlton v Port Adelaide Etihad Stadium 7:40pm 7:40pm Foxtel

Thu 20 Mar Geelong Cats v Adelaide Crows Simonds Stadium 7:10pm 7:10pm Foxtel

Fri 21 Mar North Melbourne v Essendon Etihad Stadium 7:50pm 7:50pm Seven

Sat 22 Mar Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions Aurora Stadium 4:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

Sat 22 Mar St Kilda v Melbourne Etihad Stadium 7:40pm 7:40pm Seven

Sun 23 Mar West Coast Eagles v Western Bulldogs Patersons Stadium 7:40pm 4:40pm Foxtel

bulldogtragic
14-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Is anyone else not completely satisfied by the split round concept?

Remi Moses
14-03-2014, 06:26 PM
It is abysmal to be honest.
Why??
Open the season with 9 games

Eastdog
14-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Don't like the concept of the split round at all. Everyone should be playing in the 1 week.

Greystache
14-03-2014, 06:48 PM
It is abysmal to be honest.
Why??
Open the season with 9 games

Channel 7 get an extra Friday and Saturday night game this way and the AFL doesn't have to extend the season. It's win-win from their perspective, but as a supporter of a team that perennially plays in the second week it's balls.

Mantis
14-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Channel 7 get an extra Friday and Saturday night game this way and the AFL doesn't have to extend the season. It's win-win from their perspective, but as a supporter of a team that perennially plays in the second week it's balls.

It's made worse by the fact we play the last game of the round.. and on the other side of the country.

Eastdog
14-03-2014, 08:47 PM
It's made worse by the fact we play the last game of the round.. and on the other side of the country.

Yeah for sure. That does not help in promoting our brand. I really believe that regardless of where teams are at everyone should play at least one game per year on Friday night.

Eastdog
14-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Collingwood being dominated by Fremantle now after being right on top early.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I went along for a look tonight, Freo very impressive thus far.

They tick a lot of boxes and are great on the spread with the speed of their runners who can move quickly and run to good areas.

Mantis
14-03-2014, 10:45 PM
I was disappointed with the ease at which Freo moved the ball against us in the NAB Challenge game against us recently.. Looks like it might become the norm.

Greystache
14-03-2014, 10:53 PM
I was disappointed with the ease at which Freo moved the ball against us in the NAB Challenge game against us recently.. Looks like it might become the norm.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Clearly everyone is going to need to do some work to counter it.

GVGjr
14-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Those Fremantle midfielders are big boys

bornadog
14-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Surely Collingwood won't make finals this year

Greystache
14-03-2014, 11:16 PM
What I'd give to have a Michael Walters, even with those awful tatts.

GVGjr
14-03-2014, 11:18 PM
The coast to coast goals that Fremantle got on us after half time have also been backed up tonight. They are going to be a hard side to beat through the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Freo were awesome - dismantled Collingwood.

Their midfield is sensational.

Remi Moses
15-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Collingwood should have been further up at quarter time.
Buckley didn't watch the nab challenge game they played against us( they must have been opened up at least 10 times)
Their pressure is incredible, and obviously who they keep on the park is paramount.
Might be interesting talkback tonight

Remi Moses
15-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Just a side note, do the pies have to write out a cheque for the crowd tonight?

Greystache
15-03-2014, 01:10 AM
It's incredible how fast Collingwood has gone backwards under it's coaching dream team. They looked like forming a dynasty, footy fans should be thanking Eddie.

Sedat
15-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Agree on Walters, he's an absolute gun. Such a smart decision maker, quick, brave and fantastic skills. He was on the scrap heap 2 years ago and it's a credit to both he and Ross Lyon that he's taken his 2nd chance at an AFL career with both hands.

David Mundy continues to be the Peter Rhode gift that keeps on giving to Freo.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2014, 08:55 AM
The coast to coast goals that Fremantle got on us after half time have also been backed up tonight. They are going to be a hard side to beat through the season.

Agreed. So swift on the transition.

They really work hard as a team to strangle the opposition ball movement. Structures help, but every players is aware and working incredibly hard to cut down options and create an extra number or two, to both win the conest and then execute quickly to create space and overlap once possession is won.

Besides our serious need to improve defending the kick in, I think we'll match them OK for our intensity around the ball. Their execution and consistent application of pressure will be a huge challenge for any side though.

Mantis
15-03-2014, 10:33 AM
What I'd give to have a Michael Walters, even with those awful tatts.

He's a jet.. A read a few of our posters criticising Picken after Walters schooled him in the NAB game, Picko won't be the lone wolf.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Players off the ground at quarter time in GWS v Sydney owing to rain, lightning etc.

bornadog
15-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Players off the ground at quarter time in GWS v Sydney owing to rain, lightning etc.

Patton two goals, and Tom Boyd played in the reserves and kicked a few. Too bad we couldn't snare Patton away from them. Do they need two big blokes plus Cameron.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Patton two goals, and Tom Boyd played in the reserves and kicked a few. Too bad we couldn't snare Patton away from them. Do they need two big blokes plus Cameron.

Yeah, Patton would've been a massive coup. Like a bottle of grange, the value of those guys will keep increasing. If they were to listen to offers over the next few years they be asking a crazy price unless Patton does his knee again and then it's buyer beware. Jacksch must be feeling his future might be elsewhere?

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2014, 07:27 PM
With Cameron, Patton, Boyd, Jaksch, Tomlinson and McCarthy they'll need to trade at least one of them - possibly two.

They've spoken about sending one or two of them back, but I'm not sure how that'll work.

I'd be going hard at all of them and see which one might slip through the cracks.

Twodogs
15-03-2014, 08:11 PM

All that weather seems to have gathered over Footscray now.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2014, 08:30 PM
All that weather seems to have gathered over Footscray now.

I got it an hour ago, I love free water!

Geez GWS look good.

bornadog
15-03-2014, 08:39 PM
I am so happy for Leon Cameron, what a great start to his coaching career.

There goes everyone's tipping

bulldogtragic
15-03-2014, 08:42 PM
I thought the good part of a crap fixture was playing GWS twice....

Remi Moses
15-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Oh Dear! We play them twice !!
Know it's early, but has the recruitment of Buddy ruffled a few feathers at their club?
Very un- Sydney like.

Mantis
15-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Bit scary to think how good GWS & GC will be in 2 years time... If they keep their lists together they are going to be powerhouses.

mjp
15-03-2014, 09:32 PM

No. We are playing about 15 minutes from home. We don't do it to often so please don't get too upset...Perth is a terrible place to watch footy but a very nice place to visit.

Hotdog60
15-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Never change your tips I had GWS because I thought Sydney was going to start going on the slide and then I looked at the team list and thought it looked too strong and changed my tip a hour before kick off.
I would have had 3 from 3.

Remi Moses
16-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Hasn't taken long for the tiger masses to turn.
Thought they played very cautious footy, and Gold Coast were terrific.
Get used to it GWS and Gold Coast win for the first time in the one round.

KT31
16-03-2014, 03:01 AM
Bit scary to think how good GWS & GC will be in 2 years time... If they keep their lists together they are going to be powerhouses.

Luckily we have the benefits of a couple of Father sons that will keep us in the race.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2014, 09:45 AM
I didn't see the GWS game, but did Sydney just assume it would be an easy result? Whilst I do expect GWS to improve this year I would've thought knocking off Sydney was a stretch.

Gold Coast looked very impressive early. I think Metricon will soon rival Skilled as a stadium not many opponents are successful at.

Hotdog60
16-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I didn't see the GWS game, but did Sydney just assume it would be an easy result? Whilst I do expect GWS to improve this year I would've thought knocking off Sydney was a stretch.

Gold Coast looked very impressive early. I think Metricon will soon rival Skilled as a stadium not many opponents are successful at.
GWS has been in the system for 3 years and they had some good drafting along the way. Sydney looked too strong on paper but it just maybe that the players that gave them the edge in the past are just that bit older now. Sydney may have had this one in the book before they started and with the wet conditions you would have thought it would have play in their favour as well. But GWS has got a strong forward setup and some tough on ballers.
I think Adison will complement their side as another hard body and despite his short comings he can be a handy forward or back if his game his on.
GWS did play well although I did miss the last quarter and a bit.

GVGjr
16-03-2014, 10:53 AM
It's going to be an interesting season and probably the race to the finals will have a number of teams still in contention in the last two or three rounds.

I thought it was good for Leon Cameron to get a win in round one.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2014, 04:41 PM
GWS and GC were very impressive.

Still have a hollow feeling to them. Sure, they're good and on the improve, but after receiving 50 first round draft picks they had to start climbing up the ladder sooner or later.

Their premierships will be a sad day in football.

GVGjr
16-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Gee Port are a value for money side. They are really beating Carlton convincingly.

Polec has done some nice things

soupman
16-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Port are quality. Attacking side that never gives up and has some real match winners like Wingard and Boak.

Their mentality of always being in the game is something I want instilled in our side. Garlett kicked a goal for Carlton with 10 minutes to go to put them 28 (26?) points down and the Carlton body language was pathetic, they looked like they were 90 points down with a minute left.

Port in the same scenario would have been pumped and hunting the next goal. They always have a crack regardless of how bleak it looks and this coupled with their fitness levels makes them one of the most exciting sides to watch. The amount of epic last quarters they had last year was amazing.

Can't believe Carlton are rated. They and Richmond are so similar. Defences that have numpties in key roles (Rance and Watson) and get easily beaten up and forwardlines that rely on a temperamental sooky forward like Riewoldt or Waite that pick and choose when they put effort in.

Greystache
16-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Maybe not necessarily from a Bulldogs season point of view, but all the teams you'd like to see lose have lost this round.

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Maybe not necessarily from a Bulldogs season point of view, but all the teams you'd like to see lose have lost this round.

It's been an entertaining and enjoyable round.

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Port are quality. Attacking side that never gives up and has some real match winners like Wingard and Boak.

Their mentality of always being in the game is something I want instilled in our side. Garlett kicked a goal for Carlton with 10 minutes to go to put them 28 (26?) points down and the Carlton body language was pathetic, they looked like they were 90 points down with a minute left.

Port in the same scenario would have been pumped and hunting the next goal. They always have a crack regardless of how bleak it looks and this coupled with their fitness levels makes them one of the most exciting sides to watch. The amount of epic last quarters they had last year was amazing.

Can't believe Carlton are rated. They and Richmond are so similar. Defences that have numpties in key roles (Rance and Watson) and get easily beaten up and forwardlines that rely on a temperamental sooky forward like Riewoldt or Waite that pick and choose when they put effort in.

I agree that Hinhley has forged a very good team but we've beat them the last 7-I think it's 7-times. Go figure!

Remi Moses
17-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Great result for us who indulge in some schadenfreude( thanks auto correct)
The love and expectations from some of the scribes for the big Melbourne teams is silly.

Bulldog Joe
17-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Before any of these games started I felt that Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton would all struggle to meet expectations this year.

Collingwood had a few personnel missing but were just woeful. Carlton fell away badly and Richmond couldn't get over Gold Coast despite Gold Coast losing 2 players by half time.

Hardness at the ball seems to count and that has been preached strongly by a certain coach.

Had a nice collect with Freo at the line into Gold Coast.

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Absolutely. I'm scared of what GWS and GCS will become right inside our 12 o' clock premiership window.

bulldogtragic
17-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Absolutely. I'm scared of what GWS and GCS will become right inside our 12 o' clock premiership window.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Say 4 years time, big game, what does our list need to do to combat their prospects. Another quality defender is first on the list for mine. Our future midfield I'm happy with, a big forward or two would be nice, but 3 monsters forwards to combat is my focus.

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 03:22 PM
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Say 4 years time, big game, what does our list need to do to combat their prospects. Another quality defender is first on the list for mine. Our future midfield I'm happy with, a big forward or two would be nice, but 3 monsters forwards to combat is my focus.

Yep we need to hope like hell that Talia and Roughie come on and bring in another gun key back. Frawley or better yet Reid would be nice. As far as our kids go Honeychurch, Hrovat and Dahlhaus provide a bit of zip and Hunter provides the small forward option and Wallis the gun tagger but we will also lack a truly defensive small to lock down on the oppositions gun small forward. We will have no one after Morris who can do this. Darley or Fuller maybe? I personally think we lack a quality tall forward but try to find one of them...As you say our midfield will be very strong.

Remi Moses
21-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Geelong still hard to beat at home.
Their senior players are leading the way
Adelaide to me need their full squad,they can't afford any injuries.
Pods looks done for mine( early call I know) Scott thompsons star had diminished also.

bornadog
21-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Pods looks done for mine( early call I know) .

I thought Pods was done at the end of 2012

bulldogtragic
21-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Who ever a few years back compared Daniher to Cordy might wish to retract the post! :)

He's going to be as good as any other KPP.

Ghost Dog
21-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Bloody North.Essendon needed to be beaten tonight. Can't rely on them for anything.

Remi Moses
21-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Norf the way they play doesn't win big games.
How on earth did norf allow so many uncontested marks?
Highlight of the night not having endless camera shots of Brad Scott moaning over every umpiring decision.

G-Mo77
21-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Norf the way they play doesn't win big games.
How on earth did norf allow so many uncontested marks?
Highlight of the night not having endless camera shots of Brad Scott moaning over every umpiring decision.

Instead we got to see Bomber Thompson sitting on his chair, leaning up against the wall like a back row "cool kid" at school.

Essendon, sadly were good but North were terrible. The way they kicked to their forward line you would have though an 8 - 9 foot forward roamed in the forward 50. They played like it was a practice match.

Remi Moses
22-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Instead we got to see Bomber Thompson sitting on his chair, leaning up against the wall like a back row "cool kid" at school.

Essendon, sadly were good but North were terrible. The way they kicked to their forward line you would have though an 8 - 9 foot forward roamed in the forward 50. They played like it was a practice match.

Yes, but rather see that than Brad Scott's persistent whinging.
Tania Hirds outburst might ensure Bomber will remain coach after 2014.
The stat discrepancy in this game is incredible.
At one stage the Bombers had more than one hundred more uncontested marks

jeemak
22-03-2014, 03:13 AM
The only team I worry about in the first four to six rounds of the season is ours. Just to see how individual players are tracking.

To try to analyse the form of any other team seems kind of pointless, unless they've shown they're definitely landing on one end of the scale over another.

Eastdog
22-03-2014, 03:25 AM
The only team I worry about in the first four to six rounds of the season is ours. Just to see how individual players are tracking.

To try to analyse the form of any other team seems kind of pointless, unless they've shown they're definitely landing on one end of the scale over another.

Do you worry a bit jeemak next week in our first home game against North on how will come out especially of the back of the Perth trip and the fact North have 2 extra days more.

KT31
22-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Do you worry a bit jeemak next week in our first home game against North on how will come out especially of the back of the Perth trip and the fact North have 2 extra days more.

Ridiculous planning by the AFL, we could have played in Perth a week ago and had an extra week to recover.

GVGjr
22-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Essendon looked strong and Watson was just terrific especially in the first half. They will be one of the harder teams to beat this year.

Happy Days
22-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Bomber is the GOD and can do whatever he wants. Seriously he coached rings around Brad Scott last night; the blueprint (high, quick possession) is now firmly in place to be used against them all season.

I'm seriously hoping that they don't somehow find a way to keep him on if they do boot Hird.

Eastdog
22-03-2014, 11:25 PM
So with all of the other matches of Round 1 completed only with ours to come tomorrow who have been the most impressive sides and who have been the worst in your opinions.

Remi Moses
22-03-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm not going to dare to make any decision on round 1.
For all the hype Richmond and Norf have been the biggest disappointment, and throw in the pies as well.
Biggest winners Freo so far

1eyedog
22-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Melbourne were horrible tonight. I thought with a midfield consisting of Trengrove, Jones, Vince, Tyson and Cross they would get the job done considering all of Hayes, Joey and Steven were out. Melbourne will struggle to beat anyone even with Dawes in the team.

Twodogs
23-03-2014, 12:00 AM
So with all of the other matches of Round 1 completed only with ours to come tomorrow who have been the most impressive sides and who have been the worst in your opinions.

Sydney and North have been the biggest let downs for mine. Both have laded up with players to improve quickly this season and barely fired a shot. Richmond and Mebourne aways promise lots but always disappoint so no great surprise there. Carlton and Adelaide were probably hoping for better but performed around their level.

GC and GWS and St Kilda would all be pretty happy with their wins. I reckon we will be too this time tomorrow night. Out of all the teams GWS would be the happiest with their win.

Remi Moses
23-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Didn't see much of tonight's game.
Dan from Droop st Lonergan had GWS beating us in round 4!
To which colleague Adam White replied "come on Dan you would have Port Pirrie thirds beating the Dogs".

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Melbourne were horrible tonight. I thought with a midfield consisting of Trengrove, Jones, Vince, Tyson and Cross they would get the job done considering all of Hayes, Joey and Steven were out. Melbourne will struggle to beat anyone even with Dawes in the team.

Agreed.

For most the night, Darcy and BT kept banging on about how much Melbourne had 'improved' in regards to their structures, their ball use and composure ... yet they were well handled by an incredibly average and undermanned St. Kilda.

Mofra
23-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Ridiculous planning by the AFL, we could have played in Perth a week ago and had an extra week to recover.
It's crazy but I think this also influenced selection - guys like Jones & Talia will be in the frame for round 2 on the back of a 9 day break.

Remi Moses
23-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Everyone kept raving about the Dees pre-season and their continual possession, but under some pressure that will come unstuck.
Wouldn't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying its a battle of two bottom 4 teams.