bulldogtragic
16-03-2014, 04:57 PM
James Frawley
Key Position Defender

194cm
95kg

25 yo

Unrestricted Free Agent in 30 weeks.

Gia's salary freed up as well as possibly one or two of Boyd, Morris or Murphy. Plus the increased incrementations in the cap.

As per Callan Ward, it's ok to offer contracts mid season.

Make it happen.

GVGjr
16-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Wouldn't he be an outstanding pick up for a club like us?
I doubt we can make the sort of offer that GWS did for Ward though.
Money alone won't be enough and shouldn't be the main thing but we some how need to sell him the vision that we can develop him into a far better player and yet still reward him handsomely.

Paul Roos will mount a convincing argument for him to stay.

There will be also be a few clubs interested in him and will no doubt have some conversations with his manager during the season.

LostDoggy
16-03-2014, 06:50 PM
A tantalizing proposition given his status as an unrestricted free agent. Frawley has struggled with a few niggling injuries over the last couple seasons as well as a midfield group providing zero defensive pressure nearly every round. Easy to forget that he was All-Australian as a 21 year old in 2010. A defensive unit built around Roughead at FB, Frawley at CHB and Talia taking over Morris's role in a BP has the potential to be top class for a long period of time.

My understanding is that Frawley is holding off on re-signing with Melbourne because of the uncertainty surrounding the coaching situation. The Western Bulldogs offer him this stability and the opportunity to potentially be part of a successful side that will be peaking when Frawley is in his prime as a footballer.

Unfortunately I can see him becoming Hawthorn's annual "how did they manage that?!" signing. Let's hope JMac and the team can get the job done.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Are we actually sussing him out for real?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I've been crying out for another key defender for years, Frawley would be perfect and a huge step towards building a much better defense than we have currently.

azabob
16-03-2014, 07:09 PM
C54 I also was under the impression he has struggled with niggling injuries, last year he played 17 odd games but the previous three years he managed over 20 games.

LostDoggy
16-03-2014, 07:16 PM
C54 I also was under the impression he has struggled with niggling injuries, last year he played 17 odd games but the previous three years he managed over 20 games.

It's an odd one. I can't ever remember hearing a whole lot of injury news regarding Frawley (not that I was listening out for it), but since his All-Australian year in 2010 he's always seemed to be hampered by something, not dissimilar to Stu Crameri.

Mantis
16-03-2014, 07:17 PM
2006 AFL draft:

11. Everitt (WB)
12. Frawley (Melb)

We already had our chance.

Remi Moses
16-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Why not?

bulldogtragic
16-03-2014, 07:28 PM
2006 AFL draft:

11. Everitt (WB)
12. Frawley (Melb)

Don't make me cry again, because it's enough to. Mundy, Frawley and two semi decent first rounders would be most welcome into this side.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2014, 07:32 PM
2006 AFL draft:

11. Everitt (WB)
12. Frawley (Melb)

This along with missing out on Fyfe/Carlisle in favour of Howard has been catastrophic.

GVGjr
16-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Are we actually sussing him out for real?

Just throwing it out there for discussion

bornadog
16-03-2014, 07:54 PM
2006 AFL draft:

11. Everitt (WB)
12. Frawley (Melb)

13. Jack Riewoldt

bulldogtragic
16-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Oh come on,

Mundy (Koops), Carlisle (Howard), Riewoldt or Frawley (Everitt) and the two first rounders for Nat Brown (Veale, Street). Depressing drafting...

But maybe we can get Frawley for free agency at years end.

Maddog37
16-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Libba in the second round. Morris, Boyd rookies. It works both ways.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Howard is the biggest fail of all the above mentioned. At least Everitt and co. were playing top level football for their age, Howard wasn't - yet we still picked him at #15!

I'll never, ever, understand the logic in that.

boydogs
16-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Howard is the biggest fail of all the above mentioned. At least Everitt and co. were playing top level football for their age, Howard wasn't - yet we still picked him at #15!

I'll never, ever, understand the logic in that.

Andrew Hooper was the Larke medaliist for best player in the U/18 National Champs, he was rookied & failed to make the grade. Mitch Honeychurch was the Vic Metro MVP yet slid to pick 60.

There's more than just performance at junior level that needs to be considered when drafting a player. Will they adapt well to the training demands at an AFL club? Do they have the height and frame to bulk up? Do their strengths translate well to AFL level?

Howard was a good size and great kick, with elite endurance. All of those things are more important at senior level than at junior level.

Greystache
16-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Andrew Hooper was the Larke medaliist for best player in the U/18 National Champs, he was rookied & failed to make the grade. Mitch Honeychurch was the Vic Metro MVP yet slid to pick 60.

There's more than just performance at junior level that needs to be considered when drafting a player. Will they adapt well to the training demands at an AFL club? Do they have the height and frame to bulk up? Do their strengths translate well to AFL level?

Howard was a good size and great kick, with elite endurance. All of those things are more important at senior level than at junior level.

Which is why some recruiters were considering taking a chance on him in the 3rd round. But not us, we threw the kitchen sink at a hunch.

His selection in the first round was the culmination of a terrible recruiting era for the club. Thankfully since BMac has arrived we appear to have much more system to our drafting.

ratsmac
17-03-2014, 01:03 AM
How did this thread that I was enjoying reading on how we will have chip frawley playing for dogs next year end up depressing me because we don't have chip frawley playing for us now?

KT31
17-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Libba in the second round. Morris, Boyd rookies. It works both ways.

Certainly had a couple of shockers.
We can take relief with the last couple of drafts, IMO we have excelled with our choices and other clubs will rue their decisions over our selections.

Mofra
17-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'd throw the money at Reid before Frawley.
Reid at least has a vague connection to the Bulldogs and can play both ends - if he plays forward, he can go back for a few minutes every quarter to allow Roughy to relieve Minson in the ruck and/or release Talia to play loose man where he has the nous to cut off opposition attacks.

I am a massive fan of Reid so don't for a second think I am being objective in my desire for us to throw a big contract at him.

bulldogtragic
17-03-2014, 11:06 AM
How did this thread that I was enjoying reading on how we will have chip frawley playing for dogs next year end up depressing me because we don't have chip frawley playing for us now?

Good enough post u turn the conversation. Stu Crameri had about 1,100 posts before we got him, so we have a long thread ahead of us! :)

Ozza
17-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm no huge wrap for Frawley.
If he leaves Melbourne he will no doubt be the latest in a long line of players significantly overpaid to leave a club. I know that is reality - but Frawley in particular is one I'm not keen to overpay to get to the kennel.

LostDoggy
17-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Change the title to get Dan Talia?

Yes I know he has a three year deal but lets find a way dogs!

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Personally, I'd throw the money at Reid before Frawley.
Reid at least has a vague connection to the Bulldogs and can play both ends - if he plays forward, he can go back for a few minutes every quarter to allow Roughy to relieve Minson in the ruck and/or release Talia to play loose man where he has the nous to cut off opposition attacks.

I am a massive fan of Reid so don't for a second think I am being objective in my desire for us to throw a big contract at him.

Agree with this. Reid is exactly what we need.

bornadog
17-03-2014, 03:27 PM
What we needed was to recruit another tall player in the last two drafts and develop more of our own like we have with Talia.

My guess is Frawley will stay with Melbourne, due to Roos and Reid will be offered a big contract to stay with the Pies.

Our only hope of getting a player from another club, is to try and snare one of the talls at GWS.

wb_age
23-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Is it just me, or aside from his name I don't see anything special about Frawley.

chef
23-03-2014, 11:08 AM
He's a decent FB, but not someone you'd throw the farm at(especially when we have a decent prospect in that Position already)

GVGjr
23-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Is it just me, or aside from his name I don't see anything special about Frawley.

I think that is about the norm for most defenders. Frawley isn't a star but a solid young defender with some upside. If he wants to find another home I don't think it will be too hard for him.

Twodogs
23-03-2014, 02:01 PM

I agree. He's never really stood out at anything. He's a good fullback but we one already.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2014, 02:25 PM
There aren't many superstar FB's in the mold of Lake or Scarlett at the moment, but Frawley is a good player in a pathetic side.

A KPP defence of Roughy, Frawley and Talia has strong appeal to me. It looks very, very good.

Greystache
23-03-2014, 02:58 PM
There aren't many superstar FB's in the mold of Lake or Scarlett at the moment, but Frawley is a good player in a pathetic side.

A KPP defence of Roughy, Frawley and Talia has strong appeal to me. It looks very, very good.

Agree with you TBB.

Roughy can play on the monsters, Talia on the midsized, and Frawley a bit of either. Frawley also has pace which would add something the other two lack.

Twodogs
23-03-2014, 05:27 PM
A fast Key Defender who could run and link up would be nice.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2014, 05:32 PM
A fast Key Defender who could run and link up would be nice.

Just need Zaine to keep growing tall and big.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Agree with you TBB.

Roughy can play on the monsters, Talia on the midsized, and Frawley a bit of either. Frawley also has pace which would add something the other two lack.

Make that 3 in agreeance. It also allows the 4th and 5th backs to play on guys their size. I remember when Shaggy was getting it in the neck when he was forced to play on bigger opponents and when he didn't he was an offensive weapon. Take this week, Young shouldn't be on a Darling for example. It's the same theory on Crameri, but reversed.

Remi Moses
23-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Make it four. We have Dale coming to the end and two still relatively inexperienced key defenders( roughy and Talia). It's okay to draft in a young key back, but it takes at least 3 pre-seasons to gather the know how and strength to master the art.
Today we 're going to be seriously undrestrengthed down back, and if our mids don't dominate, it may get ugly.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Apparently Frawley has a put an $800,000 price on his head.

Mofra
08-04-2014, 10:00 AM
He'll get it - Hawks have cap space after Buddy left

always right
08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
That would make him our highest paid player. I know this is the reality of free agency but it wouldn't sit well with me. He simply isn't even remotely that good.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 11:31 AM
He'll get it - Hawks have cap space after Buddy left

perfect replacement for Lake who is getting on in years.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Really? Maybe I should ask for the thread to be deleted, I would not of started the thread if I'd known that. I don't see how he's worth that much, especially as would be our highest paid player (easily I would've thought too).

soupman
08-04-2014, 11:56 AM

If true that's ridiculous.

People thought our offer for Crameri was too high at about $450k, that price above is out of this world, especially for someone who isn't even the best key defender in the comp.

Mofra
08-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Ave AFL salary is something a little over $300k from memory, I thought Crameri's wage is reasonable.

In the world of free agency I can anticipate a bit of locker-room jealousy as those who change clubs will often be on more than quality players who stay loyal.

How do we throw big money at a player knowing Griff stayed with us for less than he is worth on the open market? It's a really difficult list management era we're entering, which may become more difficult if the idea of trading future draft picks ever gets up.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 02:41 PM

How rediculous . No thanks at that price

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Not for $800. What are the alternatives? We need another key back and probably 2.

wimberga
08-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Ave AFL salary is something a little over $300k from memory, I thought Crameri's wage is reasonable.

In the world of free agency I can anticipate a bit of locker-room jealousy as those who change clubs will often be on more than quality players who stay loyal.

How do we throw big money at a player knowing Griff stayed with us for less than he is worth on the open market? It's a really difficult list management era we're entering, which may become more difficult if the idea of trading future draft picks ever gets up.

Your absolutely right about this part Mofra...

I can't believe the Sydney Swans players did not kick up more of a stink post GF. They won the bloody flag, then the next year there club spends $1m getting in Kurt Tippet before committing to another $9m the year after for buddy franklin. All of this AFTER their current players have just won a flag. How could they be anything but angry?

Mofra
08-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I can't believe the Sydney Swans players did not kick up more of a stink post GF. They won the bloody flag, then the next year there club spends $1m getting in Kurt Tippet before committing to another $9m the year after for buddy franklin. All of this AFTER their current players have just won a flag. How could they be anything but angry?
They lost Lamb & Mumford too (as well as Everitt) and there is a lot of talk about unhappy Swans - they've denied an O'Keefe rift, but I remember a few years ago ROK as all set to come to a Victorian club but signed on at Sydney for less money so I could completely understand if he's pissed.

I have no problem with Crameri - he's not going to be paid more than the guys who are the backbone of the side who have put in their time. I'm very wary of getting sucked into a bidding war and would have been furious if we overpaid for (example) Dawes based on Melbourne's desperation.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Melbourne Lose Mitch Clarke. Not that he was able to get on the field much.

chef
08-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Gee they've effed up a lot of high end draft picks in trades as well as picking the wrong players. They should be on the move by now.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 07:14 PM

By convincing Griff it gives him a better chance at ultimate team success. I guess.

We all thought that Cal Ward was getting silly money at GWS but that has become the norm.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Thought of this thread when I saw it. I wouldn't be prepared to offer him that sort of money.

Much prefer to grab a 21 year old off another list or continue trying to draft and develop our own.

Reid still holds some interest for me.

GVGjr
08-04-2014, 07:52 PM

He's not worth anywhere near it. Happy for any other side to pay it.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Interesting tonight, heard that Byrnes and even Cam Pederesen are on sizeable coin at the Dees.
They had to talk Byrnes into playing again this season!!
Just mind boggling list management.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Thought of this thread when I saw it. I wouldn't be prepared to offer him that sort of money.

Much prefer to grab a 21 year old off another list or continue trying to draft and develop our own.

Reid still holds some interest for me.

Ben signed for three more years with Collingwood last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Surely nobody is prepared to pay 800,000.

lemmon
08-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Hardly the start Roos the messiah had hoped for, dropping games by big margins and players far from falling over themselves to re-sign. He inherited a team capable of going to the finals the year he was appointed full time at the Swans, he hasn't rebuilt like this from the ground up before. Wonder how long till questions start to be asked, a game plan built around possession retention and uncontested marking...far from suited to the least skilled side in the comp.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Ben signed for three more years with Collingwood last week.

Thanks, I'd missed that.

Reigning Maddogs
08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
If Frawley gets anywhere near $800k and a long term contract, Melbourne will get a first rounder for him as part of free agency compo. If they keep up their current form they could walk away with picks 1&2 in this years draft which is full of KPPs.

Mantis
09-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Hardly the start Roos the messiah had hoped for, dropping games by big margins and players far from falling over themselves to re-sign. He inherited a team capable of going to the finals the year he was appointed full time at the Swans, he hasn't rebuilt like this from the ground up before. Wonder how long till questions start to be asked, a game plan built around possession retention and uncontested marking...far from suited to the least skilled side in the comp.

Which is why he only signed on for 2 years.. He won't want to damage his 'brand' by sticking around for any longer.

And on Frawley at $800k.. No thanks.. Might look at him at 1/2 that, but as others have mentioned it will create more harm than worth when we over-pay out-siders.

The Doctor
09-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Which is why he only signed on for 2 years.. He won't want to damage his 'brand' by sticking around for any longer.

And on Frawley at $800k.. No thanks.. Might look at him at 1/2 that, but as others have mentioned it will create more harm than worth when we over-pay out-siders.

and it's not like he is elite or brings premiership experience and know how to the team. I agree with everyone on the no thanks vote

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 05:52 PM
What we all need to remember is that this is a gun player currently propping up a bunch of hacks. Get him into an emerging side with some solid support down back (Rough, Talia & Young) this could be a very effective backline. As for the price tag, it is what it is, this is the new world peoples and on the free market something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If our competitors have the means and desire to pay him this amount, then that is his price.

Big name interclub recruits have been a staple of successful sides recently and we need to be playing this game with the big boys. As we all know the draft is a fickle thing, we can't just click our fingers and come up with a solid KPP.......what we can do is open our wallet!

Greystache
09-04-2014, 07:26 PM
$800k? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

For $800k I'd want Harry Taylor.

bornadog
09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
$800k? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

For $800k I'd want Harry Taylor.

Agree, not worth the money

Mofra
10-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Agree, not worth the money
Really depends on the club.
Hawthorn are in their premiership window and would love a replacement for Lake - to the Hawks, if he's the difference between a flag and mssing out he's definately worth the money.

To us, with Roughy, Talia, Williams all capable at AFL level, Austin has performed in the past and Roberts in the wings - as well as a captain who took less coin to stay with us - he is nowhere near worth that money to us.

chef
10-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Could see him ending up at Carlton, he's not worth the money but hey they have to spend the money they set aside for Gibbs(he aint staying IMO) on someone. Would be handy for them allowing Henderson to stay forward

craigsahibee
10-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Melbourne may be able to match that now they don't have Clark's ridiculously over inflated salary to contend with next year.

IMO he's worth $400k-$450 at best.

chef
10-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Melbourne may be able to match that now they don't have Clark's ridiculously over inflated salary to contend with next year.

IMO he's worth $400k-$450 at best.

He's unresticted anyway, so even if Melbourne want to match it if he doesn't want to be there he can go where ever he wants.

Ozza
11-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm really not sure how Frawley could possibly think he has played the sort of footy worthy of putting $800K on his head. Staggering.

I would much rather we look after our own - and lock in our good young guys for longer and take care of them money wise - so we don't end up with any more Cal Ward type scenarios when it comes to the likes of Stringer, Macrae, Libba, Talia, Hunter and Dahlhaus.

If we're talking about getting tall players into our side from elsewhere - I'd much prefer to target a talented kid from an expansion club that may be looking to come home, or struggling for an opportunity amongst similar types who are more advanced at this stage.

Remi Moses
12-04-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm really not sure how Frawley could possibly think he has played the sort of footy worthy of putting $800K on his head. Staggering.

I would much rather we look after our own - and lock in our good young guys for longer and take care of them money wiske - so we don't end up with any more Cal Ward type scenarios when it comes to the likes of Stringer, Macrae, Libba, Talia, Hunter and Dahlhaus.

If we're talking about getting tall players into our side from elsewhere - I'd much prefer to target a talented kid from an expansion club that may be looking to come home, or struggling for an opportunity amongst similar types who are more advanced at this stage.
Yep I concur with this.

comrade
12-04-2014, 09:00 AM
$800K? Good on him for shooting high but I sure as shit don't want our club spending those sort of dollars on a player of his ability.

I'd rather have a crack at Alex Rance for half that amount.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2014, 12:09 PM
They have a segment on AFL.com about 'who would you not call if you needed a friend on who wants to be a millionare?'
His name is offered up by the Melbourne players.:D

Scorlibo
12-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Neither Roughead nor Talia have the ability to play as the third tall defender IMO. For that reason I don't feel that we would be getting the best out of Frawley who would be forced to adopt the third defender role. I suppose Roughead could always make the move forward, but all in all I don't see us having as much to gain by nabbing Frawley as other teams do - and therefore we shouldn't be offering the highest price.

LostDoggy
12-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Neither Roughead nor Talia have the ability to play as the third tall defender IMO. For that reason I don't feel that we would be getting the best out of Frawley who would be forced to adopt the third defender role. I suppose Roughead could always make the move forward, but all in all I don't see us having as much to gain by nabbing Frawley as other teams do - and therefore we shouldn't be offering the highest price.

Really rate Roughy as a backman and don't want to see him as a forward.

Frawley 22 touches 2 goals at 3/4 time today.

LostDoggy
12-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Carlton 6.16.....are they for real? Maybe the world will stop kissing Mick's arse soon when they realise he just isn't all that.