View Full Version : Congratulations Robert Murphy - 250 Games

bornadog
17-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Height: 187cm
DOB: 09-06-1982
Weight: 84 kg
Debut: 2000

Goals: 167
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Player%20Profiles/2014%20-%20Profiles/MURPHY%20Robert.png

Congratulations on reaching a tremendous milestone for the red white and blue.

Loved every game, one of my favourite players.

Too bad your playing in Perth, otherwise would have been great to reach the milestone in Melbourne.

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 11:27 PM
What a champ, great unassuming guy too, a real gentleman.

Max469
18-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Congratulations Robbie.

Wish it had been in Melbourne.

Always has time for me with a quick kiss and a hug, now matter where he sees me.

Ozza
18-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Congratulations to a great Bulldog man...and one of my all time favourites to watch.

Mofra
18-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Will always be a fan favourite - anyone who doesn't like Murphy is the sort of person who kicks puppies.

Twodogs
18-03-2014, 10:29 AM
One of the most talented players I've seen in the red, white and blue and an all round good bloke.

Not many people 'get' our club quite like Bob. It's been a pleasure to watch his career unfold from that memorable first game until now.

always right
18-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Two sides to Murph.......on field he is one of the most popular players to watch, regardless of your allegiance. There have been few players in history with the same balance and poise as Murph. His ability to extricate himself from tight situations has always been amazing. I hope he plays on next year.

Off field he has become synonymous with the Bulldogs brand, a true icon of the club and someone you can build a culture around. I often wonder what happens with bulldogs players when they retire, whether they continue to barrack for the club and do they maintain a strong affection that gets passed onto their children. With Murph, I have no doubt he is a bulldog for life and the club needs to find a way to keep him involved in some capacity.

merantau
18-03-2014, 11:02 AM
When Bob Murphy has the ball you know he's going to do something with it. Moves like a gazelle, more difficult to tackle than a puff of dust - a pleasure to watch and a true Bulldog whose love for the Club is evident in all he does and says.

Murphy'sLore
18-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Congratulations Bob. Love your work, on and off the field, and also on the page.

Bob Murphy is probably the main reason I became a Bulldogs supporter.

LostDoggy
18-03-2014, 11:41 AM
As others have said, a true great of the Western Bulldogs both on and off the field. The best thing about Bob Murphy is that he loves us as much as we love him. A tremendous effort to reach 250 games, and may this not be the last milestone he reaches.

Daughter of the West
18-03-2014, 11:46 AM
My favourite player, hands down. He's a bulldog inside and out. Congratulations Bob!

Happy Days
18-03-2014, 12:28 PM
My hero. I love Bob so much I even follow the Rathdowne Deli on twitter, because mates help out other mates.

Congratulations Bob, keep on truckin'.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2014, 12:38 PM
An amazing club he joins, I'm confident come 86 years time that Bob will be in starting 18 of our team of the century.

Remi Moses
18-03-2014, 03:48 PM
We'll done to Murph.
Been terrific in particular the last few years.

Remi Moses
18-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Interesting point on SEN on where Bob sits in comparison to Brad Johnson Chris Grant and others of the late 90's and 2000's.
Personally I have him just behind Johnson, west and of course the great man.
Interesting food for thought.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Interesting point on SEN on where Bob sits in comparison to Brad Johnson Chris Grant and others of the late 90's and 2000's.
Personally I have him just behind Johnson, west and of course the great man.
Interesting food for thought.

Grant
West
Johnson
Murphy
Smith
Gia

Whatever else, Bob's round one banana last year is in the memory bank forever.

Eastdog
19-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Murph. You are a great guy and a great player. In hoping he can play 300 games.

bornadog
20-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Coach McCartney has regularly preached the importance of team over the individual, but the impending milestone of Robert Murphy is certainly not lost on him.

Murphy has been a constant in the Bulldogs’ side since his debut 14 seasons ago, and after an injury scare in the pre-season, looks set to play his 250th game for the Club.

“There are 22 players in our team on the weekend and no one is more important than the other but we do want to help him [Murphy] have a good day and have a good day for our Club,” McCartney said.

McCartney praised the veteran for his leadership and the important role he plays at the Club, particularly with the younger players.
“He’s just a great man to have in your club. Just a brilliant person to coach, and if you’re a young player in the club, well you’re quite blessed to have his calibre around you, to learn from and want to emulate,” he said.

Murphy becomes the eleventh player in Club history to reach the 250 game milestone, joining the likes of Brad Johnson, Tony Liberatore and recent Hall of Fame inductee and Assistant Coach Rohan Smith.

Amazing how 11 players have reached 250 for the club, with 6 of those over 300. Just goes to show the culture of the club is good and players want to hang around. Teams like Melbourne only have a few or so over 250, but only one with over 300.

josie
20-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Congratulations Bob,

Love your work in the media too, especially the Thursday Age article - always a laugh or a tear and sometimes both. A super talented, "Mr Smoothy/Twinkle Toes" footballer, loyal as they come and all round lovely bloke. May your Irish eyes keep smiling on the field beyond 2014.

Hope the team does you proud on Sunday.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Will always be a fan favourite - anyone who doesn't like Murphy is the sort of person who kicks puppies.

Lol, too true.

Congrats Murph, a true star on and off the field

KT31
21-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Congrats to Murph, from to the young bloke I thought was cutting in line to get Matty Crofts autograph to the player you are today.
You been an absolute Champion on and off field for our club and all the accolades are truly deserved.

LostDoggy
21-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Legend and all round great guy.
Congratulations Bob.

Bulldog4life
22-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Congrats to Murph. A special day for all doggie fans in WA to get to the game. A truly wonderful player for our Club and a true gentleman off the field. I have had the pleasure of talking to Murph no doubt like a lot of supporters have and he gives you his full attention and is really keen to listen to what you are saying. A very special player in my extended family.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Thank you WCE.

AndrewP6
23-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Well done WC for giving him a guard of honour. Top bloke, champ on and off the field. Deserved so much more for his 250th.

LostDoggy
23-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Well done WC for giving him a guard of honour. Top bloke, champ on and off the field. Deserved so much more for his 250th.

Did they really give him a guard of honour?! Wow.

AndrewP6
23-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Did they really give him a guard of honour?! Wow.

Yep.

Eastdog
23-03-2014, 11:47 PM
What did you make of Murph's game tonight. Kicked a few. Would be very down after that despite it being his 250th.

LostDoggy
23-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Yep.

That's impressive and worthy of respect. Can't say I've seen another player been given a guard of honour for a 250th, but I'll take it.

boydogs
24-03-2014, 02:02 AM
What did you make of Murph's game tonight. Kicked a few. Would be very down after that despite it being his 250th.

One of our best. Stood up to kick a long goal to break a long drought, kicked another difficult snap and was very clean and composed out of defense.