PDA

View Full Version : The Southern Strangler - 20th anniversary of THAT brawl

HOSE B ROMERO
22-03-2014, 10:10 PM
With tomorrows match against the Eagles in Perth i was taken back to that infamous half time brawl where an unlucky Peter Sumich was headlocked by quite possibly the strongest bicep to play AFL, that of Danny Southern.

From memory the brawl was sparked by Steve Wallis's shirtfront on Brett Heady just before half time. I can't recall anything else (much like Mr Sumich), but guess that we probably lost the match.

I do remember reading some years later that Sumich had no hard feelings over the incident which was good to see.

bulldogtragic
22-03-2014, 10:15 PM
From memory, was it a young Brad Johnson that wasn't too sure about getting involved? :)

While Sumich was out, I think everybody was thinking the worst. But I loved Danny, I got to chat with him a fee times and he was always so friendly and generous with his time.

LostDoggy
24-03-2014, 10:59 PM
We got smashed in that match. As per almost every match in WA in that era. Some awful floggings - worse than last night -- so to see Sumich go down was a bit cheering. I was at the other end so didn't have a good view of the incident, but gee the near section of the crowd made a huge noise during the brawl.

I don't think that should be the defining memory of Danny as a player or football person. I like telling the story about Danny and the bulldog tattoo.

Greystache
25-03-2014, 12:03 AM
It seems to have been lost in the re-telling of the story but it should be remembered that Southern grabbed Sumich in a head lock and dragged him to the ground, but he was actually knocked unconscious by an accidental boot to the head from a team mate.

Danny the snakeman
25-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Didn't get to see the end of that game,i was arrested not to long after that fight.Eagle supporters are so sensitive,notice the crowd hadn't changed much yesterday.

Remi Moses
25-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Didn't douggie cop one in the nether regions?
The work of Chris Lewis

lemmon
25-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Didn't get to see the end of that game,i was arrested not to long after that fight.Eagle supporters are so sensitive,notice the crowd hadn't changed much yesterday.

Haha there's a story there surely!?

bornadog
25-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Watch from about the 1 min mark and after the brawl, stop watching unless you want to see the highlights of the thrashing.

http://youtu.be/IUZe_CssU4U

Pembleton
26-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Didn't douggie cop one in the nether regions?
The work of Chris Lewis

Doug's last game with us i think. I remember him explaining that he only got involved to defend young johnno. He tore a groin or stomach muscle and missed the finals.

I loved Southern. He was actually dragging Sumich away from Ilija who had Sumich and Ball hanging off him in that brawl. Did some good work on Watson earlier that year too after he'd whacked libba.

Remi Moses
27-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Danny Southern was a very good player and a great warrior.
Chronic knee injury ended his career prematurely,and this issue was blown way out of proportion.
Funny the WA media carried on like the priest was called in and Sumich was read his last rights.
Miraculously sumich trained a few days later

Twodogs
27-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Doug's last game with us i think. I remember him explaining that he only got involved to defend young johnno. He tore a groin or stomach muscle and missed the finals.

I loved Southern. He was actually dragging Sumich away from Ilija who had Sumich and Ball hanging off him in that brawl. Did some good work on Watson earlier that year too after he'd whacked libba.

Yep. Timmy heroically elbowed Libba in the face as the teams were walking off at halftime at VFL park if I remember correctly.

Remi Moses
27-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Watson should have went for that.
Remember him getting off