PDA

View Full Version : Crameri's first game - What are you expecting?

bornadog
23-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Forget the pre-season today the real stuff starts.

What are your expectations of Crameri? What is a pass mark after the pre-season hype?

For me, if he can kick a goal or two, but more importantly create some opportunities in the forward line for others, that would be a pass mark. I want to see him really get involved with the game.

Go_Dogs
23-03-2014, 03:21 PM
For me, if he can kick a goal or two, but more importantly create some opportunities in the forward line for others, that would be a pass mark. I want to see him really get involved with the game.

I agree with that. Would be great if he can score a couple of goals, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he can help our structure and provide a target as we transition the ball forward and working hard back into space to create opportunities close to goal when we get a turnover.

Hopefully he can showcase his work rate today as Stringer and Campbell may struggle to run out the game well, especially on the slightly bigger oval.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Providing that leading target is going to be crucial. He'll need to alternate between playing deep/leading out into that 20-50m area, but we will also really need him to lead from the 50m-70m area when we're bringing the ball from half back.

In more simple terms, hopefully he kicks a few - but today could be more about setting up goals for deeper forwards in Stringer and Campbell.

Mofra
23-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Hopefully he kicks his first goal, racks up at least 1 assist and applies defensive pressure.

F'scary
23-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Given the lead up to the acquisition, his goal kicking record, his physical presence and mobility, I am expecting him to be named in the best players.

Maddog37
23-03-2014, 04:59 PM
18-20 touches, 1-3 goals and lots of defensive pressure. If all our forwards do this we will be ok.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Nothing more or less than Jade Rawlings first game :)

ReLoad
23-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Given his pre season form, im going with his best impersonation of a witches hat.

The Doctor
23-03-2014, 10:03 PM
some justification of his salary

bulldogtragic
23-03-2014, 10:31 PM
some justification of his salary

It's the flip side of big salaries... Big or decent expectations.

ReLoad
23-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Given his pre season form, im going with his best impersonation of a witches hat.

The defence rests your honour.

lemmon
23-03-2014, 10:40 PM
He's had an absolute mare. Wonder if the pressure has go to him? He's gone from being probably the third fiddle at Essendon in a high profile, big money trade to a side where he's expected to be the forward line big banana.

soupman
23-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Well we know now he can't kick.

bornadog
23-03-2014, 11:55 PM
He had a number of opportunities to kick goals but fluffed it. I thought he was very active, used his strength in packs and will get better once he is used to our style of play.

People forget he only played his 58th game tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Tried hard, but his decision making and skill execution was poor.

He needs Jones (and Williams) as much as they need him, if that makes sense.

He's a good ordinary player, so to speak. He's not the savior, or a star/match winner.

always right
24-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I was encouraged. Made some bad mistakes but looked dangerous. I still have high hopes.

Greystache
24-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Made some terrible mistakes, his decision making looks awful. Passed off when he clearly should have had a shot, then took the shot when he clearly should have passed. His defensive efforts haven't improved at all either which is really annoying.

Hopefully he'll improve a lot very quickly because so far he's been very poor.

1eyedog
24-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Tried hard, but his decision making and skill execution was poor.

He needs Jones (and Williams) as much as they need him, if that makes sense.

He's a good ordinary player, so to speak. He's not the savior, or a star/match winner.

I feel he's just a bit better than that and he will surprise us when we get our forward set up right. He will benefit from Grant and Jones being forward IMO. Grant will take a similar opposition back (a tall who can run) and Jones will give him a chop out in the air. He wasn't helped tonight by the indecision further up the ground and he will be a bit of a menace at Etihad I reckon.

SonofScray
24-03-2014, 12:47 AM
There were a few moments where he showed a real assertiveness in what he was doing, strong play, quick feet and a clear sense of what he was going to do with the footy. We don't see that a lot in our other forwards. He needs to bring that every week.

I was expecting a few goals and for him to be a presence, someone that WCE had to put some time into. We got goals and some fluffed opportunities but I don't think he was able to assert himself to the point of giving WCE a headache.

Twodogs
24-03-2014, 12:47 AM
I thought a lot if his of his mistakes were made when he was trying to create something.

Scorlibo
24-03-2014, 01:56 AM
I like that he brings a bit of passion and energy to the play. Just needs to then mix that with the composure to execute his skills and he will be a great addition for mine.

boydogs
24-03-2014, 02:00 AM
I thought a lot if his of his mistakes were made when he was trying to create something.

I thought so too, his worst mistakes were at the end of a period of gut running. Compare him to Stringer, Dickson and Campbell and he was a mile ahead.

Remi Moses
24-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Not having seen the game I won't comment.
The ABC boys were saying he was playing loose in defence!
Imagine this thread after Jade Rawlings had his first hitout?
The name John Coleman springs to mind

Mofra
24-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I think he slightly exceeded expectations personally - 2 goals, 2 missed chances when he was trying to bve creative (I'll take that over playing conservative), 1 assist and some time behind the ball to stem the bleeding. He's playing his role.

bornadog
24-03-2014, 01:38 PM
A great goal

http://t.co/5OyJKLEZAX

KT31
24-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Was a bit perplexed with the role reversal of Crameri in defence and Goodes in attack, don't like it at all.
Wasn't the best first game, nor was it the worst but all up pretty happy with Stew's first outing for the club.
Kicked a couple and busted his guts for most of the night, as others have said he will be better off when we include Jones and Grant and get the forward structure right.

LostDoggy
24-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I thought he was fine, it was obvious when he butchered the ball at the end of that run that he was just pooped, and that's fair enough in my book, I'm sitting on the chair whilst he's running his guts out, and leaving not just opposition in his wake but a fair few of his teammates as well.

Maddog37
24-03-2014, 05:22 PM
15 possessions and 2 goals. Does that every week and he has kicked 40 odd for the year.

G-Mo77
24-03-2014, 06:06 PM
15 possessions and 2 goals. Does that every week and he has kicked 40 odd for the year.

This.

Sadly, reality is anything short of 5 - 6 goals was going to disappoint our fan base. He's going to be judged very harshly so I do hope he has some thick skin. He wasn't great yesterday but he certainly wasn't our worst.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2014, 06:06 PM
The 'loose man in defence for flexibility' test needs to end now.

Hasn't worked all pre-season, didn't work yesterday. We need targets forward of the center. I can understand us doing it with Stringer to a lesser extent, as he still needs to learn the game, but not Crameri. Needs to stay forward.

Remi Moses
24-03-2014, 10:05 PM
After watching the game ( well the 3 quarters were enough)
Didn't think he was the worst by a long shot.
I think 4 or 5 games might be more appropriate.

FrediKanoute
24-03-2014, 10:17 PM
I think we are missing Grant. Its not rocket science that our best period last year coincided with a fit and firing Grant in the forward line. He is a hard player to match up on, makes space and because of his pace (both his hands and his feet) he causes the opposition problems creating time and space for his team mates. I think Crameri/Jones/Stringer will all benefit from having Grant back.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2014, 10:43 PM
I think we are missing Grant. Its not rocket science that our best period last year coincided with a fit and firing Grant in the forward line. He is a hard player to match up on, makes space and because of his pace (both his hands and his feet) he causes the opposition problems creating time and space for his team mates. I think Crameri/Jones/Stringer will all benefit from having Grant back.

I'm glad someone else has pointed it out as for me not to bad labelled with Grant coloured glasses. If Grant can find the aforementioned form it's a big headache for oppositions.

Sedat
25-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Yep, Grant adds an element to our forward line that complements all the other components. Not to mention Liam Jones not being our key target yesterday (understandably due to his poor pre-season form)

I didn't see yesterday's game but I can imagine that our ball movement was not direct (no doubt due to West Coke's defensive intensity) and that there was a lack of run and presenting by our forward line with the exception of Crameri. He is not the messiah but will add significant value to our forward line if and when the other components of our forward line are in place and working well together.

boydogs
25-03-2014, 02:27 AM
I didn't see yesterday's game but I can imagine that our ball movement was not direct (no doubt due to West Coke's defensive intensity) and that there was a lack of run and presenting by our forward line with the exception of Crameri. He is not the messiah but will add significant value to our forward line if and when the other components of our forward line are in place and working well together.

None of the mids were able to break free or create the free man to deliver accurately inside 50, many of the 37 entries we did have were rushed kicks to a contest which didn't work in a mid sized forward line. Some of the best opportunities actually came from Crameri marking around half forward then bursting away from his man, but a lot of those were tired kicks.

1eyedog
25-03-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm glad someone else has pointed it out as for me not to bad labelled with Grant coloured glasses. If Grant can find the aforementioned form it's a big headache for oppositions.

He's pretty much right to go now as well as his rehab has gone to plan. He thinks he will play 2 weeks of VFL and will then come back into the team provided has shows some form.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2014, 01:08 PM
He's pretty much right to go now as well as his rehab has gone to plan. He thinks he will play 2 weeks of VFL and will then come back into the team provided has shows some form.

For me, I show a faith in Jarrad and work/psych/encourage him up the week before and play him in the AFL. I've said it forever, but I think he plays to the level of opposition. If you compare his VFL form last year to AFL, you'd think ASADA would be testing him 5 times a day. He must come straight in for mine.

jeemak
25-03-2014, 01:45 PM
For me, I show a faith in Jarrad and work/psych/encourage him up the week before and play him in the AFL. I've said it forever, but I think he plays to the level of opposition. If you compare his VFL form last year to AFL, you'd think ASADA would be testing him 5 times a day. He must come straight in for mine.

Hmmm, not sure if Grant has ever had the fitness base or continuation in form to come straight into the seniors after a reasonably long injury lay off at the back end of pre season. I'd be happy with him putting together some match practice and fitness at VFL level.

Not having the fitness to contribute defensively and keep presenting offensively isn't what a player of Grant's psyche needs for mine.

1eyedog
25-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Agreed but possibly only as the sub after half time.

bornadog
25-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Hmmm, not sure if Grant has ever had the fitness base or continuation in form to come straight into the seniors after a reasonably long injury lay off at the back end of pre season. I'd be happy with him putting together some match practice and fitness at VFL level.

Not having the fitness to contribute defensively and keep presenting offensively isn't what a player of Grant's psyche needs for mine.

As much as I love Grant and want to see him back as soon as possible, Jeemak is right, he needs some match fitness to be ready for AFL.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Sums it up perfectly for me too.

josie
25-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Cycled to Wharf Hotel South Wharf as it was advertised on Dogs website. Red white & blue balloons etc and only a few supporters, pity as the pub had gone to some effort. Could only watch 3 quarters & decided to pull up stumps - not a good way to end the weekend that's for sure.

I thought Crameri tried very hard and was exciting at times - pity he did not convert after that gut busting run. I also liked him im mid field/around stoppages (I think he had a few spells there). He seems to have good endurance & reasonable speed & goes without saying he is powerful. Also seems to keep his feet pretty well. IMO he showed a lot more effort than others around him. Cannot blame forwards for mids not getting hands on ball and when they did the team turned it over time & time again. Looking forward to seeing him this Sunday & to the whole team turning things around. Go Dogs !!!

boydogs
25-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I've said it forever, but I think he plays to the level of opposition

Still needs to build his fitness back up again. I did notice he is much thicker in the arms this year though, good signs