PDA

View Full Version : Garlett Gonski

Ghost Dog
26-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Dayle Garlett, back to WA and can't say I was surprised. Too bad for the youngster, but hope it was a good experience for him. On the up side, Hawthorn can't promote anyone from their rookie list mwwwhaha. Should have kept him at a lower level for a bit.

jeemak
26-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Hi GD, already a start on some comments here:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?12788-Macca-s-recruitment-of-only-quot-good-people-quot&p=367493#post367493

KT31
26-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I just hope he has left for the right reason and not because it was to hard and he can just slip back into his old life and routine at home.

GVGjr
26-03-2014, 07:41 PM
I just hope he has left for the right reason and not because it was to hard and he can just slip back into his old life and routine at home.

If the papers are to be believed it was a combination of not being able to adjust to the required professionalism as a AFL Footballer and the fact he was homesick. Maybe being a good state footballer will be good enough for him.

Greystache
26-03-2014, 08:12 PM
If the papers are to be believed it was a combination of not being able to adjust to the required professionalism as a AFL Footballer and the fact he was homesick. Maybe being a good state footballer will be good enough for him.

A few weeks back one of the paper's was reporting he was also struggling with the level on the field, and that despite the huge wraps on him, AFL wasn't as easy as he was expecting.

I was in agreement with the club that he wasn't worth the gamble. Plenty of talented kids hit the AFL system and can't cut it, and many of them are more committed than Garlett. That he balled before round 1 isn't a huge surprise.

That's without factoring the off field stuff.

Greystache
28-03-2014, 06:28 PM
He's been told his old WAFL club doesn't want him back. It'll be interesting if another club will take him on.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dayle-garletts-return-to-perth-hits-a-snag-rejected-by-former-club-swan-districts/story-fndv8os9-1226867850868

bulldogtragic
28-03-2014, 06:55 PM
He's been told his old WAFL club doesn't want him back. It'll be interesting if another club will take him on.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dayle-garletts-return-to-perth-hits-a-snag-rejected-by-former-club-swan-districts/story-fndv8os9-1226867850868

He'll probably make more money at another level down and be under way less scrutiny too.

chef
29-03-2014, 08:31 AM
He'll probably make more money at another level down and be under way less scrutiny too.

And enjoy it more.

LostDoggy
30-03-2014, 12:35 AM
And enjoy it more.

This. Sounds like the bloke just needs to get back to playing footy because it's fun.

bornadog
19-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Arrested for stealing a car and burglary.

What a wasted talent.

Murphy'sLore
19-09-2014, 12:12 PM
God, that is so sad.

KT31
19-09-2014, 12:20 PM

What a wasted talent.

More importantly it will be a wasted life if he doesn't turn it around.

Greystache
19-09-2014, 12:34 PM

What a wasted talent.

And he was already on bail waiting to appear in court on multiple other charges.

Hats off to our football department, they got this spot on.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2014, 12:44 PM
And he was already on bail waiting to appear in court on multiple other charges.

Hats off to our football department, they got this spot on.

Yep - a number of supporters wanted us to take him, including mjp, but this was a decision pretty easy to make IMO. Hawthorn probably figured they could take a risk, but they quickly realised they shouldn't have.

Murphy'sLore
19-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Let's not turn this very sad story into an occasion for self-congratulation.

Hotdog60
19-09-2014, 01:15 PM
All I see out of this is a waste of talent. Could have been anything and a star of the game.

Hard to make judgement without all the facts but it a shame that the passion for succeeding in a football career wasn't stronger than other forces in his life.

LostDoggy
19-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Oh Dayle

Twodogs
19-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Agree.

Cyberdoggie
19-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

I think Hawthorn took a risk sure but if you play safe all the time you don't win big very often.
Pick 38, big deal. We got Fuller at 42.
Both clubs missed out on Ben Brown at 47, Josh Walker 54 and Tom Langdon at 65.

At least Hawthorn took a risk and tried, I think we look worse than they do especially considering we have been after key talls for eon's!

hopefully Garlett can learn some life lessons and turn his future around. It's not too late for him and maybe he will follow the path of Andrew Krakouer

LostDoggy
19-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Good luck to the kid, but if he thought life in the AFL was tough, I worry about how he'll fair in the real world. No wellness officers out here!

Maddog37
19-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Sad, sad story.

westdog54
19-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Quite right. This is nothing short of a tragedy. It's not a football story.

Bulldog4life
19-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Good luck to the kid, but if he thought life in the AFL was tough, I worry about how he'll fair in the real world. No wellness officers out here!

Correct just parole officers.

Greystache
19-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Quite right. This is nothing short of a tragedy. It's not a football story.

Yet any mention of Laurence Angwin and everyone writes him off as a dickhead who wasted his chance and deserves what he got.

EasternWest
19-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Yet any mention of Laurence Angwin and everyone writes him off as a dickhead who wasted his chance and deserves what he got.

Can't both sides be true for both guys though?

Sad stories of wasted talent by two guys obviously not equipped with the emotional maturity to make it (dickheads if you will).

bornadog
20-09-2014, 12:29 AM

Sad stories of wasted talent by two guys obviously not equipped with the emotional maturity to make it (dickheads if you will).

How can you say that when you don't know their backgrounds and their personal circumstances?

Greystache
20-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Absolutely. Yet I'm still to see that balance applied equally to those 2 particular cases despite the stark similarities. That's what I find confusing.

EasternWest
20-09-2014, 06:02 PM
How can you say that when you don't know their backgrounds and their personal circumstances?

Easy. With the available evidence in the public domain.

Both talented guys. Both made multiple, very public dubious/criminal/illegal choices.

I'm not sure why you're even asking me that. It's not like I'm making the comments based on rumour and innuendo.

Topdog
21-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Absolutely. Yet I'm still to see that balance applied equally to those 2 particular cases despite the stark similarities. That's what I find confusing.

I think with Angwin it was the fact that it happened 10 years ago. A lot has changed in 10 years and looking back on it I find that whole episode sad too.

ledge
21-09-2014, 11:08 PM
I've no doubt garlett was given the best chances at hawthorn to learn and be a better person but sometimes you can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

LostDoggy
21-09-2014, 11:36 PM

I know plenty of people with shitty backgrounds and even worse personal circumstances who aren't out knocking cars and burgling. I think it's obvious there's more to this than meets the public eye, however he's an adult and responsible for his actions.

Axe Man
06-11-2014, 01:06 PM
The sad Dayle Garlett story gets even worse with it revealed that he developed a meth addiction whilst at Hawthorn.

Dayle Garlett, former Hawthorn player, admits turning to crime to feed meth addiction (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dayle-garlett-former-hawthorn-player-admits-turning-to-crime-to-feed-meth-addiction/story-fndv7pj3-1227114293096)

WHILE his former Hawthorn teammates were celebrating this year’s AFL premiership, Dayle Garlett was in jail.
On Tuesday it was revealed why.
The 20-year-old from Western Australia — who is one of the most talented footballers his age in the country — committed several burglaries to feed a meth addiction he developed while trying to kickstart an AFL career in Melbourne.
Handed a lifeline by the Hawks after being overlooked in the 2012 draft, Garlett resorted to a life of crime after deciding he couldn’t meet the demands of AFL football in March.
In May, when a position he could have filled in the Hawthorn side opened up because of an injury to Cyril Rioli, Garlett bought iPads and jewellery for $350 despite knowing they were stolen.
In July, when the Hawks moved to the top of the AFL ladder with wins against Sydney and the Western Bulldogs, he broke into a friend’s house and stole a purse and phone belonging to a cleaner.
Then in September, as Luke Hodge led his team to its third premiership since 2008, Garlett broke into another house, stealing laptops, iPads, a phone and clothes worth more than $4500.
After being arrested and spending two months behind bars, Garlett avoided further jail time when his charges were heard in the Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
He pleaded guilty to two stealing charges and others of aggravated burglary, breach of bail, burglary, committing an offence in a dwelling and receiving stolen goods.
He was fined almost $500, ordered to pay compensation of $4859, perform 60 hours of community service and given a 12-month strict supervision order.
After his pleas were entered, Perth magistrate Paul Heany told the court Garlett had revealed to a psychiatrist he developed an addiction to methylamphetamine during his six-month stay with Hawthorn and turned to crime to feed it.
Garlett cited homesickness when quitting Hawthorn in March. He now hopes to train with his former WAFL club Swan Districts this month.

bulldogtragic
06-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Here's to hoping he can break the cycle and get back on track with life.

bornadog
18-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Former Hawk Dayle Garlett has been charged with drug driving and theft charges. Garlett has been jailed for 4 years and 8 months.

westdog54
18-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Former Hawk Dayle Garlett has been charged with drug driving and theft charges. Garlett has been jailed for 4 years and 8 months.

That's a lengthy spell for Drug Driving and theft charges. Was it just thefts or were they robberies/burglaries?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 04:40 PM

Just another sad case of a kid gone off the tracks. What could've been for him. Having seen kids like him in the system, I cant say I'm thinking he's going to come out at the other side better for it. I feel sorry him that the media are still putting his story up in lights. There's 20,000 other kids just like him who are doing worse on a weekly basis who they don't mention. Just sad really.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 04:41 PM
That's a lengthy spell for Drug Driving and theft charges. Was it just thefts or were they robberies/burglaries?

I was thinking the same. He could while high drive the truck made out of marijuana from Cheech & Chong up in smoke and not get nearly 5 years ordinarily for those offences combined. That's some serious, serious time.

Cyberdoggie
18-09-2015, 04:47 PM
The media loves a falling from grace story, or riches to iron bars.
There has been plenty of others who have had colourful lives after footy that we don't really hear too much off but Dayle having the world as his oyster then losing it all makes an interesting story.

Twodogs
18-09-2015, 04:55 PM

He pleaded guilty to two stealing charges and others of aggravated burglary, breach of bail, burglary, committing an offence in a dwelling and receiving stolen goods.

He's pleaded to quite a few charges and the judge makes some dire comments in his judgement but nearly five years is harsh.

Greystache
18-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I was thinking the same. He could while high drive the truck made out of marijuana from Cheech & Chong up in smoke and not get nearly 5 years ordinarily for those offences combined. That's some serious, serious time.

It's a combination of multiple convictions over a period of time though. You'd need an exercise book the write them all down.

Given the number of convictions for car theft, drug driving, and high speed pursuits it was just a matter of time until he killed someone. Probably the only good thing to come out of it.

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 05:13 PM
He's pleaded to quite a few charges and the judge makes some dire comments in his judgement but nearly five years is harsh.

It's the agg burg that's the problem in that without knowing the ins and outs. If it's a genuine agg burg (breaking into a house with an intent to assault a person in there) and not a technical agg burg (broke in while someone was home, but didn't injure them) is very serious. The irony is, if he was an AFL player who could afford an expensive GC and argue incarceration would unreasonably hold their career back (blah, blah, blah) he'd have gotten a lot less.

hujsh
18-09-2015, 07:33 PM
You hope that jail time might help him get sober/ straighten up and help him become a regular person but that's probably a vain hope. How often does prison actually manage to do that? It's pretty sad and the best we can hope is that other people see how wrong things can go (since this has all been made public, as BT said somewhat unfairly)

Twodogs
18-09-2015, 08:06 PM
It's the agg burg that's the problem in that without knowing the ins and outs. If it's a genuine agg burg (breaking into a house with an intent to assault a person in there) and not a technical agg burg (broke in while someone was home, but didn't injure them) is very serious. The irony is, if he was an AFL player who could afford an expensive GC and argue incarceration would unreasonably hold their career back (blah, blah, blah) he'd have gotten a lot less.

Sounds like bad representation. Isn't it agg burg if you break in armed with a weapon?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Sounds like bad representation. Isn't it agg burg if you break in armed with a weapon?

Aggravated Burglary is a break in with person/s present. The technical breach is if a burglar breaks into a house and there's someone home down the other end of the house and they don't see each other etc. Yes they broke into a house with someone present, but the intent isn't there.a

The genuine charge is where a burglar breaks in knowing that someone is home, and gets to its most serious in the case of say a rival drug dealer breaks into a house and steals/assaults the occupant. These are not all that common, for instance aspiring detectives would use such a prosecution as an example of managing a very serious charge in order to get promoted.

If he committed the more serious charge, then I can see where the time came from. There are blokes kicking around with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of priors and I've seen not get time necessarily on a bunch of fresh charges, let alone a big spell. I can only guess his agg burg is on the very serious end of things.

Topdog
19-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Sad to hear stories like that but you can't feel sorry for him. Had the World at his feet and threw it away.

bornadog
19-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Sad to hear stories like that but you can't feel sorry for him. Had the World at his feet and threw it away.

He needs big time help.

Twodogs
19-09-2015, 03:14 PM
He needs big time help.

He needs to figure that one out by himself. Asking for help is the first step to recovery.