PDA

View Full Version : First day at the footy.

ReLoad
30-03-2014, 09:05 PM
A bit of back-story, my two kids barrack for Hawthorn, yes, well what can i say, their mother bribed them at a young age.... (actually we made a bet when they were born in 2008 whoever team won the flag next they would follow......)

Anyway, Ive been slowly chipping away at it and the eldest (by two minutes - who has just turned 6) decided he wanted to come with his dad to the footy to watch the bulldogs, you beauty!

During the week for his goodnight story Ive been telling him stories about Sir Douglas of Hawkins and the great Chris Grant who had superpowers greater than both Batman and Superman put together and how when daddy was a little boy how id stand out in the rain to watch the dogs and how it made me understand so many things about life.

Ive even been finishing off bedtimes with a rendition of the theme song which he now has committed to memory.

So today was the day, the big day where Daddy gets to show him just how good the dogs are.

At home before we left we practiced all the chants and i reminded him how North Melbourne Players turn purple when you squeeze their heads and why you should never poke a bear.

Armed with $2,500,000 cash to buy as much food and as many treats as he could possibly feed the little fella we made our way down to the ground.

My good wife sensing the moment dropped us off out the front and we made our way in to see them run through the banner and sing the song, I cant say i teared up like when Teddy did his lap, but i did have a little lump in the throat.

So with the crowd streaming in it was time for a quick happy snap before the bounce, proudly sitting on the Doug Hawkins Wing.

Sadly for us though things just didn't work out, our abject failure to look like a footy team cost us the game, it also cost us a bit in the young fellas enthusiasm, with the bulldogs chants few and far between.

However all is not lost, my start in footy life was collecting cans at the Geelong road end to earn a few bob from the at the ground recyclers, so in the grand scheme of things stuffing his face on a nice warm day was a bit of a bonus.

Needless to say we left at half time, id run out of tricks to keep him entertained (forgot the ipad!) and his tummy could take no more. I caught the last quarter at home, where my enthusiasm was drained even more than his.

Anyway, if that's our lot in life then so be it, i know one day we can do it, one day...

So ill leave you with a couple of pearls of wisdom from the young man;

Quarter time: why do the people in green run backwards all the time?
Half way through the second quarter: Who is superbob? and why do we thank god for him?
After the game: Did the bulldogs win? My answer: No they didn't, but you know what, it was dad's best day at the footy for quite a while mate.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm heartened and heart broken at the same time, but I'm happy you had something of a bulldogs moment with your son.

With 400 brand new cheer squad members, my fear is this isn't the only story of its type today.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Go_Dogs
30-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Great post, thanks for sharing.

GVGjr
30-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Terrific story Reloead. Thanks for taking the time to share especially after such a performance.

LostDoggy
30-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Legend Reload!!

comrade
31-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Awesome.

Can't wait to take my young fella (15 months right now) to the footy. I don't care how bad we're going, he will learn to love the pain and suffering, just like I have.

Mantis
31-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Can't wait to take my young fella (15 months right now) to the footy. I don't care how bad we're going, he will learn to love the pain and suffering, just like I have.

Mine is only 4 weeks old..He will suffer like the rest of us!

But so far he has been able to sleep through his 1st 2 games.. I was almost put to sleep yesterday too.

Murphy'sLore
31-03-2014, 12:19 PM
I was going to take my 12 year old daughter, the first time we would have been to the footy just the two of us (husband and younger daughter were at a birthday party). But at the last minute, daughter decided she felt too unwell and stayed home -- she must have had a premonition because I don't think being at the game would have made her feel any better. So I ended up going alone and sitting miserably in a sea of North supporters on Level 3. Very disappointing day.

Cyberdoggie
31-03-2014, 02:16 PM
I took my 2 year old and 8 week old girls to the game.

Lucky enough with the pram we can sit in the special needs area as there was room available.
So at least the 2 year could see the game a little. She was right into it madly getting excited when the crowd did, only problem was it was mostly for the opposition. I was surprised that she lasted the whole game without complaining too much. I think I took in about 70% of it.

We managed to find the parents room ok, although it could use some upgrading, and they are only on the ground floor. The 8 week old timed her feed time perfectly so we took the lift down at half time.

Twodogs
31-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I took my 2 year old and 8 week old girls to the game.

Lucky enough with the pram we can sit in the special needs area as there was room available.
So at least the 2 year could see the game a little. She was right into it madly getting excited when the crowd did, only problem was it was mostly for the oppositiom.

Back in the early 2000s we lost a game at the dome against North after Steven Kretiuk gave away a silly free kick deep into time on with us clinging on by 2 points. The free was miles out and there was no chance of kicking it. Until Kritter gave away a even sillier 50 metre penalty.

As we left the ground my son who was probably 5 wanted to know why we weren't staying to sing the song.

1eyedog
31-03-2014, 06:18 PM
A bit of back-story, my two kids barrack for Hawthorn, yes, well what can i say, their mother bribed them at a young age.... (actually we made a bet when they were born in 2008 whoever team won the flag next they would follow......)

Anyway, Ive been slowly chipping away at it and the eldest (by two minutes - who has just turned 6) decided he wanted to come with his dad to the footy to watch the bulldogs, you beauty!

During the week for his goodnight story Ive been telling him stories about Sir Douglas of Hawkins and the great Chris Grant who had superpowers greater than both Batman and Superman put together and how when daddy was a little boy how id stand out in the rain to watch the dogs and how it made me understand so many things about life.

Ive even been finishing off bedtimes with a rendition of the theme song which he now has committed to memory.

So today was the day, the big day where Daddy gets to show him just how good the dogs are.

At home before we left we practiced all the chants and i reminded him how North Melbourne Players turn purple when you squeeze their heads and why you should never poke a bear.

Armed with $2,500,000 cash to buy as much food and as many treats as he could possibly feed the little fella we made our way down to the ground.

My good wife sensing the moment dropped us off out the front and we made our way in to see them run through the banner and sing the song, I cant say i teared up like when Teddy did his lap, but i did have a little lump in the throat.

So with the crowd streaming in it was time for a quick happy snap before the bounce, proudly sitting on the Doug Hawkins Wing.

Sadly for us though things just didn't work out, our abject failure to look like a footy team cost us the game, it also cost us a bit in the young fellas enthusiasm, with the bulldogs chants few and far between.

However all is not lost, my start in footy life was collecting cans at the Geelong road end to earn a few bob from the at the ground recyclers, so in the grand scheme of things stuffing his face on a nice warm day was a bit of a bonus.

Needless to say we left at half time, id run out of tricks to keep him entertained (forgot the ipad!) and his tummy could take no more. I caught the last quarter at home, where my enthusiasm was drained even more than his.

Anyway, if that's our lot in life then so be it, i know one day we can do it, one day...

So ill leave you with a couple of pearls of wisdom from the young man;

Half way through the second quarter: Who is superbob? and why do we thank god for him?
After the game: Did the bulldogs win? My answer: No they didn't, but you know what, it was dad's best day at the footy for quite a while mate.

Your son can take solace in the fact that you don't barrack for Richmond (for a number of reasons).

The bulldog tragician
31-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Awww. I loved this. Thank you. The little guy - and our future- are in safe hands.

LostDoggy
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Exactly what my 5 year old asked.

Cyberdoggie
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Your son can take solace in the fact that you don't barrack for Richmond (for a number of reasons).

Because he would be eaten?

1eyedog
03-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Because he would be eaten?

Yes sacrificed to Richo long ago.