PDA

View Full Version : Double Header

The Adelaide Connection
02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Hey all,

Apologies if this has popped up in another thread, but I am flying over on the red eye on Saturday and am heading over to Whitten oval before hitting up the Richmond game.

Is anyone else looking at getting to both games? If yes what time do you think you will need to leave (if you are going via train) to ensure that you get to Etihad on time? I know that they have set this up as a 'Double header" but it seems that there is minimal time between the two games (and possibly not enough to be able to watch the whole Footscray game).

Cheers

bornadog
02-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Hey all,

Apologies if this has popped up in another thread, but I am flying over on the red eye on Saturday and am heading over to Whitten oval before hitting up the Richmond game.

Is anyone else looking at getting to both games? If yes what time do you think you will need to leave (if you are going via train) to ensure that you get to Etihad on time? I know that they have set this up as a 'Double header" but it seems that there is minimal time between the two games (and possibly not enough to be able to watch the whole Footscray game).

Cheers

You should have plenty of time to see both.

check this out from the Bulldog website: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-03-31/super-saturday-dogs-double-header

Also

Trains to Etihad Stadium: there are a number of trains that will leave from West Footscray Station and get you to Southern Cross in time for the start of the AFL game:

11.47 arriving at 12.09
12.07 arriving at 12.29
13.07 arriving at 13.27

The Adelaide Connection
02-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the link Bornadog, but am I right in thinking that if it starts at 10:30am then the Vfl game will finish as late as the 1pm mark? That would be cutting it very fine to get the 1:07pm train.

bornadog
02-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the link Bornadog, but am I right in thinking that if it starts at 10:30am then the Vfl game will finish as late as the 1pm mark? That would be cutting it very fine to get the 1:07pm train.

You could catch the 13.07, but that is cutting it fine. Especially if you like getting to the ground with plenty of time to soak in the atmosphere. I can't believe there is an hour between trains, as the 12.07 would be leaving too early from the VFL game? Surely there is another train? I will look it up.

Edit: I looked up the timetable and these are the trains for Saturday:

12 07H 27AH 47AH
1 07AH 27AH 47AH

You could catch the 12.47 and get to the game about 30 minutes before, or the 12.27 with plenty of time to spare and still see about 3 quarters of the VFL match.

Mantis
02-04-2014, 10:28 AM
You could catch the 13.07, but that is cutting it fine. Especially if you like getting to the ground with plenty of time to soak in the atmosphere. I can't believe there is an hour between trains, as the 12.07 would be leaving too early from the VFL game? Surely there is another train? I will look it up.

Edit: I looked up the timetable and these are the trains for Saturday:

12 07H 27AH 47AH
1 07AH 27AH 47AH

You could catch the 12.47 and get to the game about 30 minutes before, or the 12.27 with plenty of time to spare and still see about 3 quarters of the VFL match.

Without looking are you sure the trains I have bolded run direct to Southern Cross?

Normally on the weekend trains from the west stop at North Melbourne and then go into the City Loop by-passing Southern Cross... I do know they generally have a couple of 'footy trains' which do stop in at SC which might be the ones that have been listed on the WB website.

If you do wish to take one of the Loop trains you can either do the Loop and then find a train that will travel to SC from Flinders St or you can get off at Melbourne Central and change platforms and find a train that will be stopping off at SC... But this could add an extra 10-20min to your trip.

bornadog
02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Without looking are you sure the trains I have bolded run direct to Southern Cross?

Normally on the weekend trains from the west stop at North Melbourne and then go into the City Loop by-passing Southern Cross... I do know they generally have a couple of 'footy trains' which do stop in at SC which might be the ones that have been listed on the WB website.

If you do wish take one of the Loop trains you can either do the Loop and then find a train that will travel to SC from Flinders St or you can get off at Melbourne Central and change platforms and find a train that will be stopping off at SC... But this could add an extra 10-20min to your trip.

Ok, need to check that as well. Maybe the WB site only listed the direct to Southern Cross.

SlimPickens
02-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Or just get off and walk from north melbourne station to Etihad (if capable). It's about 10 mins and mostly downhill ;)

The Adelaide Connection
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
It's a bit disappointing that there is not really ample time between the games to be able to comfortably see both. Even though I have a membership I am going to invest in a reserved seat so I can leave my run late but think I will only get in the three quarters of the VFL.

Quick question: Is the roof likely to be closed? Made the mistake of getting kick arse level 2 seats on the wing on the Wurundjeri side only to get smashed in the eyes by sun all game.

SlimPickens
02-04-2014, 11:05 PM
If the weather is good it'll be open.

SonofScray
03-04-2014, 12:17 AM
I noticed this is a Category A game which means they sell off the first few rows on Lvl 3 to opposition members, or we have to get an upgrade on our GA memberships. Really annoys me, adds a layer of difficulty to organise my whole family (15+ people) to sit together. We usually park ourselves on Lvl 3 Bay 18 every home game, but it seems like for these games its always sold off as part of some arrangements with the other teams' reserved seat members.

Probably just have to put up for a reserved seat, or shut up, but it is annoying to be inconvenienced at a home game to cater for opposition fans.