PDA

View Full Version : Rolling the dice behind closed doors

Scraggers
03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Rolling the dice behind closed doors

LINK (http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs/rolling-the-dice-behind-closed-doors-20140402-zqpu1.html)

Every so often at The Kennel we introduce an activity that is part Roman empire, part jail riot. We know it as "The Dice", which has evolved to become "Ricky Dyson", and now simply "Ricky".

A few years ago someone introduced "Ricky" as a way of policing minor disciplinary infractions (eg, leaving your towel on the floor), raising a few bucks for a trip away at the end of the year, and as a way of lifting morale. We do it every few weeks, but it's greatest impact is usually after a loss.

It's a players-only affair. There is a Boss, someone who reads out the charges and keeps a record of who's paid their fines and who hasn't. The Boss is overseen by the Grandpoobah, who is generally the oldest player in the room. His call is final when a verdict of guilt or innocence is needed.

Here's a garden variety example of what takes place behind closed doors:

Players gather in the theatre with the Boss standing out front holding the custom-made dice, which is roughly the size of a small television set from the 1980s. A charge will be read out, and the mob will undoubtedly hoot and holler. A chant of "RICKY! RICKY!'' can be heard for miles.

The accused is given a chance to plead his innocence to the Boss, who can hand it over to the Grandpoobah for a potential pardon. In all my time at "The Dice", no one has ever been given a pardon.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Many traditions within the sanctity of the club... I remember a retired player long ago in conversation said there was a tradition and rules for first year players at special events for the female supporters of the red, white and blue. I wonder how that goes in our politically correct world?