PDA

View Full Version : Top teams/Sides that didn't make a dynasty

bulldogtragic
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
The flip of the other thread. It got me thinking of teams and sides that had the players, but now not the history books on their side.

Collingwood early 2000's. Akermanis made sure the word collywobble was introduced to a new generation.
Essendon late 90's onwards. Harsh as they won one Grand Final, but that sideshould have had more in their cabinet.
Geelong 1989 onwards.

Twodogs
05-04-2014, 08:06 AM
North only winning2 flags between 1974-1981 with some of the teams they had always seemed a bit like they underachieved.

South Melbourne between 1933-37 only won one flag despite all their great players was also a let down.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 01:10 PM
North only winning2 flags between 1974-1981 with some of the teams they had always seemed a bit like they underachieved.

South Melbourne between 1933-37 only won one flag despite all their great players was also a let down.

Interesting you mention North. I was thinking North in the 90's too, despite winning two flags. At their best they were unbeatable.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I'd go with the Bombers from 98 to 2001. Should have won in 99 and 01, and although injuries cut deep in 99 and in the finals of 2001.North under achieved to a degree from 94 to 2000, making prelims every year .( sounds familiar)
Geelong in the 89 to 97 period also possibly underachieved, but I think they came up against better teams.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Interesting you mention North. I was thinking North in the 90's too, despite winning two flags. At their best they were unbeatable.

Good point. Their best players were the best in the comp at what they did. There weren't many tougher than Arch, as in and under as Stevens and so on.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Good point. Their best players were the best in the comp at what they did. There weren't many tougher than Arch, as in and under as Stevens and so on.

Across the board, I think they would kill it even today. Off the top of my head, forward there was the duck, horse, fridge (?) and a young moon dog with a young boomer and shaggers. And that was when Pagans paddock was giving full backs nightmares. Mids were seriously speedy in Schwatter, fruity, Stevo and Kingy and McKernan killing it too with Arch and Micky holding down key back spots. And guys rotating through like Blakey, Bell, Pike & Pickett too I think (might be a few years out??)

I look back on them a bit like the Roman Empire. So amazing in their era, did the succeed as much as they could (?) and it didn't end well.

Remi, interesting that Blight oversaw so many GF losses, yet Knuckles Kerley lauds Blight with almost singley making the two Adelaide Flags happen.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 02:18 AM
What about West Coast mid-2000s? Lost 05, won 06 and looked a world ahead of the pack, but then Cousins had his dramas, Judd left, etc. and it all seemed to peter out and they started getting priority picks.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
What about West Coast mid-2000s? Lost 05, won 06 and looked a world ahead of the pack, but then Cousins had his dramas, Judd left, etc. and it all seemed to peter out and they started getting priority picks.

That's a great suggestion. As a philosophical conversation, I wonder if a BMac black and white 'good young men' culture, a) would've have got them the 1 they won, or b) whether they would've got 2 or 3. Interesting.

Remi Moses
10-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Across the board, I think they would kill it even today. Off the top of my head, forward there was the duck, horse, fridge (?) and a young moon dog with a young boomer and shaggers. And that was when Pagans paddock was giving full backs nightmares. Mids were seriously speedy in Schwatter, fruity, Stevo and Kingy and McKernan killing it too with Arch and Micky holding down key back spots. And guys rotating through like Blakey, Bell, Pike & Pickett too I think (might be a few years out??)

I look back on them a bit like the Roman Empire. So amazing in their era, did the succeed as much as they could (?) and it didn't end well.

Remi, interesting that Blight oversaw so many GF losses, yet Knuckles Kerley lauds Blight with almost singley making the two Adelaide Flags happen.
Even though it was a great effort from the Crows they did catch some lucky breaks.
Out meltdown, the non Colbert Mark and playing a team who finished second at home in the second week.
In 98 the finals system helped them again, finishing fifth and getting belted in the first week . Think you could say his team at Geelong was better but came up against some super teams.

LostDoggy
11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
That's a great suggestion. As a philosophical conversation, I wonder if a BMac black and white 'good young men' culture, a) would've have got them the 1 they won, or b) whether they would've got 2 or 3. Interesting.

Well, Cousins for certain would have been placed in his high talent, poor person quadrant, so it's hard to say whether they would have decided to persist with him or not. And if they hadn't, then 2006 would have been back-to-back Swans flags. Would they have been better off long term? It depends on whether you think they've bounced right back or not. (I think they've bounced back rather well, but hate to admit so.)

bulldogtragic
11-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, Cousins for certain would have been placed in his high talent, poor person quadrant, so it's hard to say whether they would have decided to persist with him or not. And if they hadn't, then 2006 would have been back-to-back Swans flags. Would they have been better off long term? It depends on whether you think they've bounced right back or not. (I think they've bounced back rather well, but hate to admit so.)

I tend to agree. Their recruiting has been excellent, they even made Josh Hill look like a gun for a few weeks. And I rated the young fella who left to pursue medicine at Uni too (whats his name again??).

boydogs
11-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I tend to agree. Their recruiting has been excellent, they even made Josh Hill look like a gun for a few weeks. And I rated the young fella who left to pursue medicine at Uni too (whats his name again??).

Tom Swift?

bulldogtragic
11-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Tom Swift?

Correct Weight. High draft pick from memory too. Not many boys leave footy for university.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2014, 04:47 PM
After Collingwood won the cup in 2010 they were supposed to enter a 'dynasty' given the youth of their list, but they were rolled by Geelong a year later and have since fell away. Likely to be up there in a few years time again though.

azabob
13-04-2014, 09:57 PM
BT - who was moondog at north?

Twodogs
13-04-2014, 10:01 PM

Cam Mooney.

boydogs
14-04-2014, 01:38 AM

Cameron Mooney

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 08:48 AM
After Collingwood won the cup in 2010 they were supposed to enter a 'dynasty' given the youth of their list, but they were rolled by Geelong a year later and have since fell away. Likely to be up there in a few years time again though.i think Collingwood are going to roll back up very quickly. They've definitely gone about a mini-rebuild in the right fashion so far. Now to get a real coach.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Sorry for the delay Aza, Cam Mooney before he was traded to Geelong.

azabob
14-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Cam Mooney.

Cameron Mooney

Sorry for the delay Aza, Cam Mooney before he was traded to Geelong.

Thanks guys - It is hard to remember Mooney as a North Melbourne player. Gee they had a scary forward line.

craigsahibee
14-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys - It is hard to remember Mooney as a North Melbourne player. Gee they had a scary forward line.

Mooney did go without a possession in the GF of 1999. Still got the tattoo though.