PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4, Bulldogs vs GWS

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 04:16 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Sundays game against GWS at Star Track Oval in Canberra?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add to discussion.

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Lets here your changes?

bornadog
05-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Depends on Rougheads injury

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Depends on Rougheads injury

Minimal changes?

soupman
05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Roughness apparently dislocated collarbone so out for 8-10 weeks

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Damn shame. Getting some game time into Williams 'might' prove to be a bonus.
Austin could be an upgrade chance

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Minimal changes?

Probably. I'd like to see Hrovat getting a run or sub if he's fit.
If Roughy is injured, Talia would be good but maybe overlooked again, so who knows
JJ might need a run at Footscray, if so Kobes was not too bad last week
And I want Grant ASAP.

soupman
05-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Grant still 5 weeks away, and there was a fair bit of sickness in the squad this week which is definitely why both Smith and Howard missed and possibly Bontempelli as well

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Damn. I hope Talia is a quick learner, we will need him.

Sedat
05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
I reckon Griffen might struggle to get up this week. He copped a knee to the back in the 1st qtr and was basically used as a dummy mid for the remainder of the game. He looks nowhere near 100% fit, and we aren't doing him any favours if he is struggling with his back injury.

lemmon
06-04-2014, 12:04 AM
I reckon Griffen might struggle to get up this week. He copped a knee to the back in the 1st qtr and was basically used as a dummy mid for the remainder of the game. He looks nowhere near 100% fit, and we aren't doing him any favours if he is struggling with his back injury.

Fully agree, he needs some more time. Looked ginger all game and to see him clutching his back during the first was heart in the mouth. He's vitally important for us but he's nowhere near fit enough at the moment

Go_Dogs
06-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Fully agree, he needs some more time. Looked ginger all game and to see him clutching his back during the first was heart in the mouth. He's vitally important for us but he's nowhere near fit enough at the moment

I agree, hope we take the cautious approach.

Roughead is one of our most spirited players. That effort is right up there with what Koby did last year on one leg.

Changes.
Out: Roughead, Griffen
In: Redpath, Stevens

Roughead to LTIL. (Subject to injury confirmation)

The Pie Man
06-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Haven't seen much pre season or the VFL game yesterday, but do we really think Redpath would be ahead of Talia?

Wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by team selection of course.

Hope Griff can get up - Stevens an obvious replacement if not. Hard to fit him in otherwise. Williams likely survives for flexibility/cover he offers. Wasn't great, but that's a first game back for you. Still very neat by foot for a guy his size

SlimPickens
06-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Out: Roughead, JJ

In: Talia, Young

Think Talia comes straight in for Roughead. Tom Young was very good yesterday and deserves he chance.

Williams very lucky but we need him to step up in defence particularly against the giants giants.

SlimPickens
06-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Haven't seen much pre season or the VFL game yesterday, but do we really think Redpath would be ahead of Talia?

Redpath is coming along nicely as a defender but I still think Talia is further advanced and gets his shot this week. It's certainly going to be very competitive for spots In our defensive half with Roughead going down.

G-Mo77
06-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Macca mentioned Talia, Roberts and Redpath in that order. I took that as Talia is in line for the call up but sounds like all 3 will get time to cover Roughie. I do read into small things too much at times though.

azabob
06-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Redpath is coming along nicely as a defender but I still think Talia is further advanced and gets his shot this week. It's certainly going to be very competitive for spots In our defensive half with Roughead going down.

Hopefully it will be competitive for the right reasons!

lemmon
06-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Williams very lucky but we need him to step up in defence particularly against the giants giants.

I'd like to see him go forward this week and just tell him to get on his bike and present. He just needs some confidence without the spotlight being on him. That last contest where he was shoved off by Vickery on the point post showed where he was at, the other players sense it too and all got to Tom after Vickery kicked it, you wouldn't see such a tender response if he was in the right frame of mind.

I'd let him go forward, see if he can find some footy and maybe snag a few, try and get some fun back into the game.

azabob
06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see him go forward this week and just tell him to get on his bike and present. He just needs some confidence without the spotlight being on him. That last contest where he was shoved off by Vickery on the point post showed where he was at, the other players sense it too and all got to Tom after Vickery kicked it, you wouldn't see such a tender response if he was in the right frame of mind.

I'd let him go forward, see if he can find some footy and maybe snag a few, try and get some fun back into the game.

Do you drop Stringer then? I don't like a forward line of Jones, Crameri, Stringer and Williams. Personally I think Williams is better suited forward than back.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2014, 12:57 PM
This may sound silly...

If there's no Campbell or Cordy, someone needs to fill for Minson during games. I think Jones is wasted in the ruck, what is the merit of Williams taking the ruck and looking for a stop gap defender for 5 minutes, from any number of the taller forwards?

Jones isn't a relief ruckman, he's many good things, but not a ruck.

Mofra
06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Jones had 1 hit out yesterday. His tank is an issue.
He is absolutely, definitely not a relief ruck in any way shape or form.

Out: Roughead, Griffen, Stringer
In: Talia, Young, Stevens

Stevens plays in the foward/mid rotations. Wood has done some massive jobs against bigger players but he can't play on a Boyd/Cameron type

lemmon
06-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Do you drop Stringer then? I don't like a forward line of Jones, Crameri, Stringer and Williams. Personally I think Williams is better suited forward than back.

It's the way I'd go. Bring Kobe in for Stringer and let Williams play relief ruck and as a hit up forward. Stringer was improved yesterday but going back and dominating the Two's wont be a bad thing, and it will probably allow him to play some midfield minutes.

azabob
06-04-2014, 01:42 PM
This may sound silly...

If there's no Campbell or Cordy, someone needs to fill for Minson during games. I think Jones is wasted in the ruck, what is the merit of Williams taking the ruck and looking for a stop gap defender for 5 minutes, from any number of the taller forwards?

BT, I think there is only one person qualified to discuss the relief ruck / second ruckman and that person is Rocco Jones.

Rocco - What is the answer?

Rance Fan
06-04-2014, 02:04 PM
In Cordy
Out Roughy

Cordy to play fullback!

bornadog
06-04-2014, 02:27 PM
In Cordy
Out Roughy

Cordy to play fullback!

Out: Roughead, Griffen, Stringer
In: Talia, Young, Stevens

Stevens plays in the foward/mid rotations. Wood has done some massive jobs against bigger players but he can't play on a Boyd/Cameron type

I doubt that will happen

F'scary
06-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Out: Stringer (form), Griffen (sorry but is not fit), JJ (form), Roughead (injured)

In: Kobe, Bluey Young, Talons Talia, Austin 1800.

Kobe will get the ball more and provides more positional flexibility than Stringer; the other 3 to handle the monster forward line of GWS.

*** superceded ***

F'scary
06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
In Cordy
Out Roughy

Cordy to play fullback!

At first I laughed myself silly over this suggestion. Then I became angry. Then anger gave way to depression. Now I am feeling resignation: BRING IT ON.;)

Pickenitup
06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
In Talia Young Stevens

Out Roughhead JJ Stringer

Gia to play full game thoughts on Griif being sub?

bulldogtragic
06-04-2014, 05:31 PM
BT, I think there is only one person qualified to discuss the relief ruck / second ruckman and that person is Rocco Jones.

Rocco - What is the answer?

Touche' . Enter Sir Rocco.

Mantis
07-04-2014, 09:22 AM

How long did Jones spend in the ruck?

What were the clearance stats when he was?

azabob
07-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Without having stats to back it up, from the naked eye I think the centre clearance stats were about even. But it did seem regardless who was in the ruck Richmond seemed to be able to clear the ball out of the middle with more ease than we did which was extremely frustrating that

1) we couldn't stop it and

2) our best player isn't fit enough to be in the middle when it counts.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Without having stats to back it up, from the naked eye I think the centre clearance stats were about even. But it did seem regardless who was in the ruck Richmond seemed to be able to clear the ball out of the middle with more ease than we did which was extremely frustrating that

1) we couldn't stop it and

2) our best player isn't fit enough to be in the middle when it counts.

Centre clearances and clearances in general were about even. I think if you split the game into halves, Richmond would have won the clearances in the second half, particularly Cotchin.

Mofra
07-04-2014, 09:48 AM

To the naked eye it seemed like a 10%+ chop out for Minson.
Did you see the game?
What would your estimate be?

I don't see the sense in playing Jones in the middle personally - his tank is the one major part of his game that is holding him back, and making him run through the middle isn't playing to his strengths (and believe me, rucking is harder than it looks ;) )

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't think Tom has ever looked comfortable in defence (apart from one game on Buddy years ago). He has the look of a guy who knows he's going to get beaten one on one. Contrast that against his demeanor when he's gone forward and it's chalk and cheese. He really does look like a weight is lifted off when he can run and create in the forward line.

1eyedog
07-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think Tom has ever looked comfortable in defence (apart from one game on Buddy years ago). He has the look of a guy who knows he's going to get beaten one on one. Contrast that against his demeanor when he's gone forward and it's chalk and cheese. He really does look like a weight is lifted off when he can run and create in the forward line.

Agreed. That game on Buddy in Tassie all those years ago raised a lot of expectations which he has never been able to live up to, both because of injuries and his own limitations. I like him forward but I don't know if I can find a spot for him there.

always right
07-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I think Tom is fine in defence unless he's on the last line. His skills below his knees are quite poor as evidenced by two occasions on Saturday when he let the ball get away from him. He looks so much more comfortable in space where he can use his athleticism. Big challenge this week as he is likely to be on Patton or Giles who are both big units.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 11:54 AM

One thing I hate about Tom in a one on one contest, he takes his eyes off the ball and watches his man. Lake never does that, eyes are always on the ball. Perhaps someone like Scarlett can point this out. But then again, Macca has not concentrated on teaching Tom defensive skills.

Greystache
07-04-2014, 12:00 PM
One thing I hate about Tom in a one on one contest, he takes his eyes off the ball and watches his man. Lake never does that, eyes are always on the ball. Perhaps someone like Scarlett can point this out. But then again, Macca has not concentrated on teaching Tom defensive skills.

He's been on the list 10 years, what were they teaching him before McCartney arrived?

BMac starting playing him as a forward in 2012 (mostly because he can't play in defence), did he get taught nothing in his first 8 years at the club? He'll be 28 this season, the time to be teaching him the basics of how to play football are long gone.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 12:02 PM
In: Redpath, Young, Talia
Out: Williams, JJ, Roughy

Redpath has his limitations no doubt and I think he must only be selected based on matchups. This week i see him as our best option to play on Giles/Mummy when resting forward.
Talia goes to Patton and Morris takes Cameron.

Williams needs some confidence and touch in the VFL, The way Vickery and Griffiths out pointed him on several occasions I worry how he would fare against bigger and stronger players in Giles and Mumford.

JJ is just lacking confidence. Young would provide greater rebound at the moment and is much better defensively.

Would like to include Stevens if fit.. Just not entirely sure who makes way.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Out: Roughead (injury), Johannisen (omitted)

In: Austin, Stevens

Roughead is the only obvious out with his shoulder. Austin has acquitted himself well when given the chance at AFL level and was named in the bests for Footscray on the weekend (admittedly I didn't see the game myself). It won't hurt Talia, Roberts and Redpath to continue honing their craft in the VFL, as I'm sure they'll get their opportunity in the next 8-10 weeks.

Whilst I think JJ improved against Richmond, it can't be doing his development any good to be getting 4 touches a game given he's played his best football as a running half-back. Let him rack up some touches at Footscray and regain some confidence. Assuming Koby Stevens is right to go, he makes his way back into the side.

I'm seeing calls for Griffen to be rested but I get the feeling his back injury isn't something that's going to be made any better or worse by playing or not (similar to Tom Hawkins last season). Griffen operating at 50% still demands the opposition's designated tagger thus freeing up guys like Macrae and Cooney. He stays.

Mantis
07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
To the naked eye it seemed like a 10%+ chop out for Minson.
Did you see the game?
What would your estimate be?

I don't see the sense in playing Jones in the middle personally - his tank is the one major part of his game that is holding him back, and making him run through the middle isn't playing to his strengths (and believe me, rucking is harder than it looks ;) )

According to the stats Will's time on ground was 93%.. Over the course of 120min that means that Jones was rucking for just over 8min or 2min a qtr.. Unless Jones was getting absolutely hammered in the centre square and wasn't able to perform his forward function, which wasn't the case considering his strong finish then I would be looking for some ruck relief for Will, but I don't think we can justify it at present considering the alternative is getting more run into the team.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 01:14 PM
He's been on the list 10 years, what were they teaching him before McCartney arrived?

BMac starting playing him as a forward in 2012 (mostly because he can't play in defence), did he get taught nothing in his first 8 years at the club? He'll be 28 this season, the time to be teaching him the basics of how to play football are long gone.

Ok, lets just say he hasn't played in defence for two years and hasn't been taught defense the Macca way.

Bulldog Joe
07-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Bit hard on Williams there. I concede that he has often looked uncomfortable and I remember him getting lost playing on Adam Goodes in a final. However, he always performed very well on Travis Cloke and I recall him playing a terrific game against Carlton a couple of years back, when Dale Morris was missing.

Greystache
07-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Bit hard on Williams there. I concede that he has often looked uncomfortable and I remember him getting lost playing on Adam Goodes in a final. However, he always performed very well on Travis Cloke and I recall him playing a terrific game against Carlton a couple of years back, when Dale Morris was missing.

I've heard him gets raps for that game as an example of him being a proven key defender, assuming you mean 2011. Jarrad Waite went into the game with a groin injury, was subbed out halfway through the second quarter, and didn't play again that year. Williams played a mix of +1 defender, or on the 3rd string forward.

I remember him coughing up 4 first half goals against Carlton in 2009 so I assume you meant 2011.

I can't recall him playing on Travis Cloke, but I'll take your word for it.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah I think the media jumped on after that match too which didn't help him. I like him forward but think he'll be persevered with down back while Roughie is out.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Sorry wasn't intended to come across harsh, just more of an observation. He's definitely had his moments where he's shown something in defence but continuity has robbed him of building up his confidence down there imo.

w3design
07-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Roughy would need to be LTI'd for either Austin or Redpath to play. I don't believe Redpath is ready, and I don't believe Austin is up to the standard. Long term Talia is the better option, but not sure he is passed whatever benchmarks BMac has set for him yet.

I am a fan of Fletch R., but he still needs another 5+ kg before he is ready for a KP role. Anyway, I still think his future is up forward, not down back.

Much as I prefer Tommy W as a forward as well, he may need to play back in Roughy's absence until Talia is ready by BMac's requirements [ whatever they are].

Of the backs at Footscray, Tom Young looks the most ready to step up at present, but only in the 3rd tall role, not as a KPD.

Redpath is the only one of our options that has the requisite physique and pace for the role, but it takes more than that to be a KPD at senior level.

Replacing Roughy is going to be a bit of a problem that is for sure. The sooner he is back, the better for the team. Moz aside, there is hardly a player we can less afford to lose to injury, it is a real blow for both him and the team.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Roughy would need to be LTI'd for either Austin or Redpath to play. I don't believe Redpath is ready, and I don't believe Austin is up to the standard. Long term Talia is the better option, but not sure he is passed whatever benchmarks BMac has set for him yet.

I am a fan of Fletch R., but he still needs another 5+ kg before he is ready for a KP role. Anyway, I still think his future is up forward, not down back.

Much as I prefer Tommy W as a forward as well, he may need to play back in Roughy's absence until Talia is ready by BMac's requirements [ whatever they are].

Of the backs at Footscray, Tom Young looks the most ready to step up at present, but only in the 3rd tall role, not as a KPD.

Redpath is the only one of our options that has the requisite physique and pace for the role, but it takes more than that to be a KPD at senior level.

Replacing Roughy is going to be a bit of a problem that is for sure. The sooner he is back, the better for the team. Moz aside, there is hardly a player we can less afford to lose to injury, it is a real blow for both him and the team.

Do you think Redpath may be given a go considering he will be up against mainly kids this week?

azabob
07-04-2014, 06:59 PM

What have you seen in Fletcher Roberts at either level to suggest he will make it?

Bulldog Joe
08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Do you think Redpath may be given a go considering he will be up against mainly kids this week?

If it is a choice between Redpath and Austin, requiring an upgrade for either, you can't just look at the GWS game. It needs to work for 8 weeks. Austin would be the safe option, but we know what he offers and it is not enough to give him a full time spot.

If it was late in the season and we were a contender, the safe option would be more likely.

I would really like Redpath to get a go on the limited bits I have seen of him down back.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Hopefully Devon Smith isn't successful tonight with his appeal on the one match ban. He's been very damaging the first 3 rounds and would be a handy out for us.

Having said that the incident was extremely soft.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
If it is a choice between Redpath and Austin, requiring an upgrade for either, you can't just look at the GWS game. It needs to work for 8 weeks. Austin would be the safe option, but we know what he offers and it is not enough to give him a full time spot.

If it was late in the season and we were a contender, the safe option would be more likely.

I would really like Redpath to get a go on the limited bits I have seen of him down back.
I wouldn't risk Redpath without Roughead. It leaves too much to chance with Williams and Redpath as the two tall defenders.
I would be happy with one of Talia, Austin or Young with a leaning towards Talia.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 10:37 PM

No. I see what your thinking, the only problem is them kids are Guns of the highest order.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I have thought about it. We had a two point win. True, there was the 6 day vs 9 day break issue. We were also not the favourite going into the game. Lots of reasons to celebrate. Lots of reasons to get carried away. But perhaps it would be more instructive if we took the perspective we would have had if we had suffered a 4 point loss.

Therefore:

Out - JJ (only 4 possessions); Wallis (handful of possessions only and did not subdue contender for BOG Trently Crotchin); Stringer (same issue as JJ & Wallis); Roughead (injured); Griffen (is playing injured, should be rested).

In - 5 goal Cordy (for Stringer); Young (for JJ); Talia (for Roughead); Stevens (for Wallis); 4 goal Dickson (for Griffen, who spent most of the game up forward.)

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Is this a wind up. ^^

F'scary
09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Is this a wind up. ^^

No it is not.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Is this a wind up. ^^

What's wrong with it?

bornadog
09-04-2014, 08:58 PM
What's wrong with it?

I doubt Griffen, raining B&F, Captain will miss the next game. He is starting to get better every game.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I doubt Griffen, raining B&F, Captain will miss the next game. He is starting to get better every game.

Now that you mention it, he was moving a lot better than the week before.

lemmon
09-04-2014, 09:02 PM

I guess it comes down to whether he is genuinely injured or just lacking match fitness. The way he went down in the first quarter after that sling tackle seemed to indicate to me that he hasn't shaken the underlying injury yet, in which I case I don't believe he should be on the field. If his output is down because his tank has taken a hit after missing a chunk of pre-season than I have no problem with him regaining fitness in the seniors because he does bring such quality.

bornadog
09-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I guess it comes down to whether he is genuinely injured or just lacking match fitness. The way he went down in the first quarter after that sling tackle seemed to indicate to me that he hasn't shaken the underlying injury yet, in which I case I don't believe he should be on the field. If his output is down because his tank has taken a hit after missing a chunk of pre-season than I have no problem with him regaining fitness in the seniors because he does bring such quality.

I think this is his main concern. (I hope he isnot injured)

F'scary
09-04-2014, 09:05 PM
On the other hand, lemmon's recollection of the sling tackle reaction is closer to how I perceived Griffen - playing injured not just with a depleted tank.

Remi Moses
10-04-2014, 02:56 AM
What's wrong with it?

So subscribing to your theory you'd drop Morris?
He was beaten by Riewoldt in the second half.

LostDoggy
10-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I like Stringer but can't understand why he is allowed to develop at AFL level but Ayce is not. If we are picking the best team to beat GWS not factoring in development, Ayce is in better form, fits the team better, gives Minson a break from Mummy, I'd swap them this week. I'd also oust JJ for Goodes, (Goodesy was very damaging in the VFL and looks in rare touch). Talia straight swap for Rough. Like him but seriously Tommy Williams gotta go, the contest with Vickory in the pocket when TW had the sit was weak as water, bring in Young.

w3design
10-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry BaD, no I don't. Love his aggression and his pace for size, and his willingness to try. But beyond that I have seen precious little from him to suggest he is ready for senior football. His game instincts are what worry me here.
GWS's tall forwards may be young in terms of games played experience, but they are bl**dy good, and way beyond their number of games played when it comes to performance. They merit an experienced opponent, not just a strong one.

Aza. I have watched Roberts from TAC on, and have always been a fan. He, unlike Redpath and Austin for mine displays the traits of what I call a 'natural footballer'. Hunter, Libba and Stringer are other examples of this type of player. Roberts needs to continue to improve his fitness levels, and as I said before, improve his strength [ ie weight to height ratio], for this level though.
I believe he is a natural forward though, rather than a backman, even though he has played that swingman type role going right back to his TAC days. He is serviceable down back, say akin to a Tommy Young, or a Williams, but I am convinced we won't see the best of Fletch till he is played regularly up front.

bornadog
10-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Sorry BaD, no I don't. Love his aggression and his pace for size, and his willingness to try. But beyond that I have seen precious little from him to suggest he is ready for senior football. His game instincts are what worry me here..

Which player are you referring to? If its Redpath, I agree with you.

In: Stevens, Talia

Out: JJ, Roughie

LostDoggy
10-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I like Stringer but can't understand why he is allowed to develop at AFL level but Ayce is not. If we are picking the best team to beat GWS not factoring in development, Ayce is in better form, fits the team better, gives Minson a break from Mummy, I'd swap them this week. I'd also oust JJ for Goodes, (Goodesy was very damaging in the VFL and looks in rare touch). Talia straight swap for Rough. Like him but seriously Tommy Williams gotta go, the contest with Vickory in the pocket when TW had the sit was weak as water, bring in Young.

Going by last weeks post match presser, it looks like Williams will be staying in the team whether we like it or not. We just have to hope like hell he improves rapidly and was better for the run last week.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Going by last weeks post match presser, it looks like Williams will be staying in the team whether we like it or not. We just have to hope like hell he improves rapidly and was better for the run last week.

It would be a weird message playing Williams knowing that he will be rusty and then dropping him the following week for being rusty. You would think he'd stay in the team now for at least another 2 weeks.

Mofra
10-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Aza. I have watched Roberts from TAC on, and have always been a fan. He, unlike Redpath and Austin for mine displays the traits of what I call a 'natural footballer'. Hunter, Libba and Stringer are other examples of this type of player. Roberts needs to continue to improve his fitness levels, and as I said before, improve his strength [ ie weight to height ratio], for this level though.
I don't have a level of Roberts understanding from watching his junior career, but he has always had very good body positioning forward & back - generally the mark of a kid who naturally understands the game.

w3design
10-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Which player are you referring to? If its Redpath, I agree with you.

In: Stevens, Talia

Out: JJ, Roughie

Yeah BaD. Sorry again, I pressed reply, rather than as intended 'with quote'. It was Redpath I was referring to.

Mofra. Yeah agree absolutely. Fletch is in my opinion as I said previously, a 'natural footballer'. I understand both BMac's desire for players to be multi dimensional regarding where they can play, and our desire to have a swingman in the squad. FR does have the skills to fill that role. I just happen to think he will always be a better forward than a backman myself.
I also prefer to see young players given a chance to hone their skills in one role at a time. Once they have mastered one position, by all means teach them a second role. But coming to terms with all the new things in their lives at 18, as professional athletes is surely more than enough to cope with, without trying to learn to be both a forward and a defender at the same time.
I have long believed that this trend to try and make kids develop in too many directions simultaneously is why so many struggle early on with self belief/confidence.
I suspect a lot of careers of kids with potential have been either stunted/delayed, or even scuttled completely by clubs expecting too much too soon from some youngsters.

F'scary
10-04-2014, 06:55 PM
So subscribing to your theory you'd drop Morris?
He was beaten by Riewoldt in the second half.

No on two counts:

Morris: just a few more runs on the board than Wallis.

Not as much competition from play tall backs as for Wallis's tagger role.

bornadog
10-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Official:

In: K.Stevens, J.Tutt, T.Young
Out: J.Roughead (shoulder), L.Dahlhaus (calf), J.Johannisen

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
In: J.Lamb, L.Sumner
Out: D.Addison, D.Smith (suspended)
New: Jed Lamb (Sydney Swans)

GVGjr
10-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Shame about Dahlhaus but good changes

Go_Dogs
10-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Disappointing Dahl has gone down, hopefully he's back soon.

Good to see Tutt get a chance.

I guess Williams play key defence and Young has to play tall.

Remi Moses
10-04-2014, 07:43 PM
No on two counts:

Morris: just a few more runs on the board than Wallis.

Not as much competition from play tall backs as for Wallis's tagger role.

So what sort of message does that send to the younger players?
Play well each week or you're out, but if you have "runs on the board" and play poorly you stay in the side?
Thank Christ you're not on the match committee, there would be 10 changes weekly.

chef
10-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Was hoping DFA would keep his spot too.

F'scary
10-04-2014, 07:53 PM
So what sort of message does that send to the younger players?
Play well each week or you're out, but if you have "runs on the board" and play poorly you stay in the side?
Thank Christ you're not on the match committee, there would be 10 changes weekly.

I try but I keep getting outvoted.

lemmon
10-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Quite small down back which is interesting considering they have been sending Giles forward to good effect. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us

Remi Moses
10-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I try but I keep getting outvoted.

If you asked me 5 minutes after a loss, and I'm in the same boat as you.

F'scary
10-04-2014, 08:22 PM
If you asked me 5 minutes after a loss, and I'm in the same boat as you.

:cool:

(& because of the narrowness of the win - don't get me wrong, a most excellent win, which I enjoyed immensely like everyone else here - I have been trying to take the perspective many of us would be approaching this game with if it had been a 4 point loss. Asking some probing questions and being rebutted.)

Remi Moses
10-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Looks like Wood is going to have to play above his height again.
Obviously Talia has some issues in his game he has to work on .

F'scary
10-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Wood is not going to play on Patton. Surely not? How about, Young for Cameron, Williams for Patton, Morris for Giles.

Our best bet will be cutting off the supply.

SlimPickens
10-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Wood is not going to play on Patton. Surely not? How about, Young for Cameron, Williams for Patton, Morris for Giles.

Our best bet will be cutting off the supply.

I'd go Williams on Patton, Morris on Cameron and Young on Giles with Easton instructed to chop out as much as possible.

Like the ins.

always right
10-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I'd go Williams on Patton, Morris on Cameron and Young on Giles with Easton instructed to chop out as much as possible.

Like the ins.
Agree......but Wood on Sumner.

F'scary
10-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Looks like we are all going to learn a bit more about Young's credentials when the ball is in the air. Any thoughts on this?

azabob
10-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Official:

In: K.Stevens, J.Tutt, T.Young
Out: J.Roughead (shoulder), L.Dahlhaus (calf), J.Johannisen

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
In: J.Lamb, L.Sumner
Out: D.Addison, D.Smith (suspended)
New: Jed Lamb (Sydney Swans)

So is it in AFL's contract with us that Tutt needs to play in front of his home crowd so the crowd will be double due to all his family and friends attending? ;)

Happy Days
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM
So is it in AFL's contract with us that Tutt needs to play in front of his home crowd so the crowd will be double due to all his family and friends attending? ;)

It's to give Ainslie a good look at their captain next year.

Mantis
10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Fair bit on rain in Canberra which may lessen the height advantage GWS have in their forward line.. Still we're rolling dice.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Fair bit on rain in Canberra which may lessen the height advantage GWS have in their forward line.. Still we're rolling dice.

Funny that, it was their big men who got them over the line (in the wet) against Sydney.

Greystache
10-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Like the ins.

Yep. I like your match ups. If the weather is bad Young could hurt them on the rebound if they go tall.

G-Mo77
11-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Thought this myself when I read the team late last night. Makes sense considering we lost Dahl but would have rather played someone else

Rocco Jones
12-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Got into Canberra today. Drove past Manuka as the Dogs were training and noticed Goodes is a traveling emergency.

Williams and Higgins were just doing light ball drills, later joined by Bobby. Cooney only did boxing. The others had a light run around/ball drills .