PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 3

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 05:33 PM
This is the round 3 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Jack Macrae - Give him a Buddy a Franklin type contract
Libba - If I was told his son would be better than Tony I'm not sure I'd have thought it true. He is an improved model for sure
Jones - Clutch marks, contested marks and 3 goals

There's no one worthy of a anchor in my mind. JJ was quiet, that's as close as I can get to.

G-Mo77
05-04-2014, 05:53 PM
There's no one worthy of a anchor in my mind. JJ was quiet, that's as close as I can get to.

When you can't find one just give it to the umpires. Man they got an arm chair ride in the second half. That non push in the back decision in the 4th was disgusting!

Libba. Good all game and when it counted found another gear. What a star!

Minson. AA form today, big when it counted as well.

Jack Macrae. What a star we have there.

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 05:58 PM

You can anchor the opposition, the umpires or others. I think some people forget that you don't have to anchor our own :)

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Bankers:
Libba - Our most valuable player at present. Never, ever says die. That's the Bulldog way.
JMac - Makes it look easy.
Jones - Took some brilliant Grabs; finally taking those clutch marks. Most importantly he ran out the game. Can hold his head high.

Anchors
- Missing easy set shots in front of goal. It never should have been down to the wire.
- Dirty Richmond tactics. Sling tackles and trips. MRP get right into them.
- Commentary team for their lazy commentary / hack attempts at storytelling during the game. What does Libba's indiscretion have to do with the play in flow? It was 2 years ago.

bulldogtragic
You can anchor the opposition, the umpires or others. I think some people forget that you don't have to anchor our own :)

Well in that case...

- The umpires, but Gia's free at the death will wallpaper the crack an my umpires review
- Riewoldts trip, he must get a week
- the sling tackle on Griffen, it must be two weeks.

wimberga
Bankers

Jack Macrae - this guy is already one of my favourites and gets leather poisoning all the time. seriously good player

Libba - There is not another player in the league (bar Ablett) that I would pick to be at every single clearance each game

Crameri - Showed a bit of what he can offer tonight and got a bit of his groove back

Anchors

Richmond - that sling tackle on griffen and trip on liberatore were low acts and I hope both are dealt with accordingly. Griffens in particular can have serious consequences and I'm glad that Libba got into thomas for it.

Umpires - How many decisions and non-decisions can be made in 1 half of football? Cotchin is a protected species which is annoying

The commentators - to hear constantly about how Riewoldt was not involved for the first half and then hear about how he had "fired up" and was "up and about" for all of the second half literally drove me to turn the sound off.

Remi Moses
05-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Bankers Macrae ( what a beauty)
Crameri( forward line looked dangerous )
Jones ( thought he had a great game in all aspects)
Libba ( back in town)
Boyd ( he was very good today)
Gia ( basically an on field coach)
Anchors- umpires ( one week they don't pay anything the next everything)
Williams( Tom looked like a bloke who hasn't played for a while)
The Roughy injury( disappointing, and bring in Talia or Young)
The goal misses ( should have put daylight between ourselves and them)
Another banker is Beeing headed and finding a way to win. Very pleasing

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Well in that case...

- The umpires, but Gia's free at the death will wallpaper the crack an my umpires review

Not sure why that makes you see them more favourably. Gia might have milked it for all it was worth, but the holding call was 100% right.

Unpopular as it might be, I didn't think the umpiring was that bad overall.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Not sure why that makes you see them more favourably. Gia might have milked it for all it was worth, but the holding call was 100% right.

Unpopular as it might be, I didn't think the umpiring was that bad overall.

I thought there were 3 or 4 clearly wrong decisions, I agree that Gia was monstered. It's not a matter of more or less favourably, it's we won, so who cares about what they did and didn't do. It's a matter of irrelevancy really. We won, but better played well with consistently good skills and contest.

bornadog
05-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Bankers

1. Macrae - what more can you say he is already a star
2. Boyd - I thought he really fought this out and had a cool head when Richmond were storming home
1. Dahl - Gee he is ahard man to pin down, he is tackled but his second and third efforts are terrific.

Anchors

1. The bulldog supporter sitting in row A aisle 31 about seat 58 - didn't stop swearing the whole game, F word, C work you name it. A very angry man. Next time I will call security and let them deal with it.
2. Free kicks to Richmond in front of goal.
3. Public Transport to and from game. Woeful

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 07:09 PM
I think Dale Morris was a bit hard done by - hands in the back. But that's footy.

F'scary
05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Bankers:

the usual suspects for this year - Macrae, Liberatore + Wallis for 4 quarter effort.

Anchors:

Higgins - another great disappearing act
Jong - learning fast from Higgins
Williams - simply awful.

soupman
05-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Geez F'scary I see games very differently to you. I thought Higgins was good throughout the entire match and Jong was very good but tired late as expected.

always right
05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
B
1. Jones...as good a four quarter effort from him as I've seen for quite some time
2. Crameri's first half in particular....this is why we got him
3. Our pressure on Richmond causing turnovers was a feature of our play

A
1. Williams is going to be important with Roughy out for an extended period but today he looked like someone who hasn't played for a long time...which he hasn't
2. We didn't take out chances when we could have but the game beyond doubt
1. That non-Morris free kick. How was that not paid against Riewoldt?

always right
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Bankers:

the usual suspects for this year - Macrae, Liberatore + Wallis for 4 quarter effort.

Anchors:

Williams - simply awful.

Wow! Thought Jong was enormous in the first half in particular. You do realise he tagged Grigg all game don't you? Grigg had little influence thanks to Jong's efforts.

Also thought Higgins was solid all game. Good decisions and lots of poise.

Remi Moses
05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Bankers:

Anchors:

Williams - simply awful.

The first two, you cannot be serious .
Thought it was Jong's best game for the clib

F'scary
05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Geez F'scary I see games very differently to you. I thought Higgins was good throughout the entire match and Jong was very good but tired late as expected.

Just as long as you don't tell me Williams was worth his spot today.

josie
05-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Bankers
1)Pretty much the whole team with special mention to Libber, Macrae, Boyd, Minson, Murphy (how silky can you be?), Crameri, Morris and Gia's 2 goals in last qtr, Liam Jones for taking those great marks (he just needs to keep working on his disposal)
2)The Cheer Squad - it was fun to be part of it today
3)Roughhead for bravely playing with an injured shoulder for 2 qtrs - doggie spirit alive & well

Anchors
1)Sling tackle on Griffen
2)Umpires for missing a very clear in the back to Morris last qtr
3)Riewoldt's trip on Libber

The bulldog tragician
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Bankers:
Jack McRae is just superb
Minson is so under appreciated. To ruck virtually unassisted in warm conditions the last 3 weeks- the guy is all heart.
The clutch goals that had to be kicked by Gia, Jones and Crameri
The roar of the crowd!!! It felt like it helped them over the line

Anchors:( I'm really too happy to have my heart in this!)
Williams is under done but I was glad to see him get through. He'll be better for that run
Umpires frustrating and inconsistent
We do miss some gettable goals. Luckily they didn't bite us in the bum.

soupman
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Bankers:

Macrae: This kid is going to be the best player at the club. So confident with the ball and like Hunter has amazing awareness of not only where the opposition is but also where his teammates and an amazing ability to get it to them no matter how awkward. He is going to make hundreds of players look silly as he runs around them.

Jones: Repaid some of the faith today and really attacked the marking contests and was even effective in open play. Also pleasing to see him pop up in multiple quarters.

Wood: I thought Easton was very good today. Was assured in defence, composed with the ball and at times was impressive taking the man on the mark on and getting the ball moving. Has had a good start to the season and will continue to be given lots of responsibility with Rougheads injury.

Anchors:

Umpiring: I haven't seen the replay yet so I am probably going to find I'm completely out of line here, but to me Richmond seemed to get a lot of very soft free's today, with Cotchin in particular getting the special treatment and "protection" we have come to expect of the "stars" of the game.

Riewoldt: Was good in the second half when it counted, but I hate seeing players like him that spend half their time glaring at the umpire or whingeing about every decision/non decision with their arms in their air.

Stringer: I am concerned about Stringer atm. There are queries over his role in the side but thats because he is doing nothing to justify his inclusion in that role. He is just playing lazy footy atm and not doing the basics well. He is continually looking to score the flashy goal and not making the normal stuff count. I watched his warmups today and he spent almost his entire goalkicking time having millionaire type snaps and dribble kicks for goal from deep in the pockets, and very little time on his set shots. If he's going to do that then he has to be nailing his set shots everytime, which he is definitely not doing atm. I think he is very talented and will be a very good player, but I want to see him play for Footscray next week and told to get the basics of presenting, playing in front and making his disposals, especially set shots count. I struggle to see how Talia isn't meeting the requirements of his position and Stringer is.

soupman
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Just as long as you don't tell me Williams was worth his spot today.

I'm glad we brought somebody tall in otherwise when Roughead went down we could have been very vulnerable, but I was disappointed that he was picked and he certainly looked like a bloke who hasn't played in ages.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Stringer: I am concerned about Stringer atm. There are queries over his role in the side but thats because he is doing nothing to justify his inclusion in that role. He is just playing lazy footy atm and not doing the basics well. He is continually looking to score the flashy goal and not making the normal stuff count. I watched his warmups today and he spent almost his entire goalkicking time having millionaire type snaps and dribble kicks for goal from deep in the pockets, and very little time on his set shots. If he's going to do that then he has to be nailing his set shots everytime, which he is definitely not doing atm. I think he is very talented and will be a very good player, but I want to see him play for Footscray next week and told to get the basics of presenting, playing in front and making his disposals, especially set shots count. I struggle to see how Talia isn't meeting the requirements of his position and Stringer is.

A fair post Soupaman. Brendan is a 'teacher' type coach, as we all know. The slightest wiff of any sort of lack of focus on basics will be on his radar right away. If Stringer deserves to be in the seconds, I have absolute faith he'll be put on the first bus.

soupman
05-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Brenden is from a teaching background as we all know. The slightest wiff of any sort of lack of focus on basics will be on his radar right away. If Stringer deserves to be in the seconds, I have absolute faith he'll be put on the first bus.

I generally agree, I have a lot of faith in McCartney. But Stringer has looked very lazy the first few weeks and atm reminds me a little of Nathan Brown when he would spend the whole time trying to kick goal of the week.

Greystache
05-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Bankers

Jones- Got dangerous at times and finished well.

McCrae- His composure for a second year player is incredible. Started to use his height to mark as well. He has no limit to where he can go.

Boyd- Won plenty of footy and used it well.

Anchors

Stringer- Needs to give us much more.

MC- Williams can't play and certainly can't play in defence. Let him go.

JJ- His confidence is so low he's now not trying to get the ball.

PS- Forgot Jong- his first half was very exciting

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I generally agree, I have a lot of faith in McCartney. But Stringer has looked very lazy the first few weeks and atm reminds me a little of Nathan Brown when he would spend the whole time trying to kick goal of the week.

Is he lazy, or unfit do you think SM? Certainly has that swagger of a kid who might not always chase with full honesty preferring the flashy stuff, as you say. Or perhaps its fitness. We could do with a bit of swagger.
I really enjoyed him burying a player about two meters past the boundary.

Sedat
05-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Wow! Thought Jong was enormous in the first half in particular. You do realise he tagged Grigg all game don't you? Grigg had little influence thanks to Jong's efforts.

Grigg got off the chain in both games last year and smashed us - I agree, Jong did a super job on him today.

AndrewP6
05-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Is he lazy, or unfit do you think SM? Certainly has that swagger of a kid who might not always chase with full honesty preferring the flashy stuff, as you say. Or perhaps its fitness. We could do with a bit of swagger.

He was very lucky to get away with it.

Greystache
05-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Grigg got off the chain in both games last year and smashed us - I agree, Jong did a super job on him today.

And put 2 on the board against him. Sign me up for that every week from a rookie with 5 games to his name. If he can improve his kicking as he gains more experience we have a serious talent on our hands.

soupman
05-04-2014, 08:15 PM

I don't think it's fitness, he does it for the entire match, not just the second half. TBF some of his pressure work is decent, to me it just seems like he is playing lazily, hanging out the back and not making sure of stuff by trying the spectacular.

His warmups annoyed me because his set shots have been less than impressive this year and yet he seemed much more interested in snaps off one step and dribble kicks.

F'scary
05-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm glad we brought somebody tall in otherwise when Roughead went down we could have been very vulnerable, but I was disappointed that he was picked and he certainly looked like a bloke who hasn't played in ages.

He looked worse than that. If it was a horse race, they would have brought out the screen.

Like what you wrote about Stringer. He is in danger of turning into a dud draft pick. Back to the 2's for Stringer next week. And get rid of the beard. The era of the beard is over. It was over before the 1970's. Young people who wear beards fall into one of two looks. Either like dirty druggies or like preening poncey mirror gazers. Either way, not good.

soupman
05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
And put 2 on the board against him. Sign me up for that every week from a rookie with 5 games to his name. If he can improve his kicking as he gains more experience we have a serious talent on our hands.

Also finally showcased that he has the pace and ability to use his speed and take them on a bit. He is seriously quick and I'm looking forward to seeing him bring that trick out every now and then.

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Error.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 08:20 PM
He was very lucky to get away with it.
Not a spiteful intent, as I don't want to see any player injured, but I do like bullocking defensive work. Designed to wear out the opposition, It's a legitimate play, if within the rules. Mitch Hahn was a master of that.

azabob
05-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Bankers

[B]Anchors[/

JJ- His confidence is so low he's now not trying to get the ball.

PS- Forgot Jong- his first half was very exciting

With JJ I wonder if he is mentally over his injury?

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Bankers:

Anchors:

Williams - simply awful.

Looks like James Cuming has hacked your account, tin man.

F'scary
05-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Looks like James Cuming has hacked your account, tin man.

Nyahahahaha!!!!!!

Greystache
05-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Also finally showcased that he has the pace and ability to use his speed and take them on a bit. He is seriously quick and I'm looking forward to seeing him bring that trick out every now and then.

He's the sort of player who won't find consistency till he's about 25, but I really hope we give him a few years.

Greystache
05-04-2014, 08:29 PM
With JJ I wonder if he is mentally over his injury?

It's a good question. His trajectory in his first 3 years had been purely upward, but this year he's been awful. I still have high hopes but I think he needs a spell.

AndrewP6
05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Not a spiteful intent, as I don't want to see any player injured, but I do like bullocking defensive work. Designed to wear out the opposition, It's a legitimate play, if within the rules. Mitch Hahn was a master of that.

I agree in theory, I just think that one today was dangerously close to being outside the rules...

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 08:41 PM

Great to see him with his tail up, young Jong. Very hard to come back from a leg break.
http://images.theage.com.au/2014/04/05/5325656/art-wbAFLrich5-620x349.jpg

soupman
05-04-2014, 08:45 PM
This photo's better

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Bankers
- The return to form for Jones. We all know he kicked three goals but his running to contests was very impressive as well.
When he displays that sort of energy he is a vastly better player
- Macrae had a great game. That little chip kick across his body to Hunter was something that players with a lot more experience would have missed.
- Liberatore is getting better. He got to the contests when it counted.

Anchors
- Set shots at goal in a dome. We shouldn't miss as many as we do. Train properly and we will improve. Hunter needs to learn that missing easy goals won't be accepted.
- The injury to Roughead. He is an important player for us and lets all hope for a speedy recovery.

stefoid
05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
JJ has eliminated the mistakes from his disposal by not getting any? Perhaps been told to concentrate on defending and get his confidence back?

Stringer not breaking double digit possessions either. Most of his handful of possessions are contested - hes just not able to get off his man I think - needs to regain zip and endurance. But we all knew that anyway. Despite that he is managing to have a couple of shots on goal a game. Think his spot is safe until Grant is ready to come back at least.

Williams looked timid. Scared of breaking himself? Can hardly blame him for that. Guess he needs time to regain confidence before he can crash in again. With Roughead out, he will probably get game time.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Bankers- Libba back to business, Macrae - ball magnet who also uses it well, Will - dominated the ruck, Lin Jong-exciting goals
Gia- clutch goals

The tackling pressure, never let the tigers play how they wanted

Anchors -
Cotchin, gets free kicks other players don't
Reiwoldt - does nothing all game then thinks he's a world beater

Remi Moses
05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Pretty early to be speculating that Stringer is in danger of being a "Dud" pick.
Geeesh!!Has to work on a few aspects of his game, but it's pretty early in his career

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Pretty early to be speculating that Stringer is in danger of being a "Dud" pick.
Geeesh!!Has to work on a few aspects of his game, but it's pretty early in his career

Like a vast number of high picks, Ablett Jnr included, they need to realise their talent and a bit of hard work isn't enough to fulfil their talent. That will come.

AndrewP6
05-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Agreed, he's played, what, 13 games?

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 11:24 PM

Way too early. He will get a lot better.

SlimPickens
06-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Banker-
Jordan Roughead- RESPECT

Liam Jones- much better, work rate better and finished really well.

Gia- clutch goal in the last.

Anchor

Roughys injury- just plan old sucks.

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2014, 05:57 AM
JJ has eliminated the mistakes from his disposal by not getting any? Perhaps been told to concentrate on defending and get his confidence back?

Stringer not breaking double digit possessions either. Most of his handful of possessions are contested - hes just not able to get off his man I think - needs to regain zip and endurance. But we all knew that anyway. Despite that he is managing to have a couple of shots on goal a game. Think his spot is safe until Grant is ready to come back at least.

Williams looked timid. Scared of breaking himself? Can hardly blame him for that. Guess he needs time to regain confidence before he can crash in again. With Roughead out, he will probably get game time.

Agree that Williams seemed totally lacking in confidence to put his body in the contest. Despite that I don't think we could have covered their talls without him, particularly with Roughead getting hurt. Hopefully he can get things going.

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Bankers

Macrae - How good is this kid. Sensational start to the season
Jones - Possibly the best 4 quarter performance he has given.
Crameri - Very good early and showed why we wanted him.

Anchors
Trent Cotchin Protection Society (also known as Umpires)

G-Mo77
06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Just to add some more.

Banker. Roughie, gutting it out under extreme duress. Much respect big fella.

Anchor. Roughie's injury, a real black eye on yesterday's win.

ratsmac
06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
BANKERS

1. Minson - yet again rucks all game against 2 changing opponents and comes out on top.

2. Roughhead - bleeds red white and blue. What true bulldog!

3. Crameri - I am excited about him again like the day we signed him.

ANCHORS

1. JJ - although he was better than he was against Norf, he still needed to do a bit more.

2. Umpires - Richmond forwards are allowed to push in the back in marking contest are they? And in the first quarter Vickery gets bodied under the ball and gets a free, cmon man. I thought the umpires were below par today for both teams, but they seemed to give the tigers frees in front of the sticks. And don't mention Scotchin (oops I just did, free kick)

3. Roughhead's injury - we will miss him deeply. Time for someone else to stand up.

The Pie Man
06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Bankers

Anchors

Seemed to be a lot of high frees paid from tackles in a pack/contested situation where guys aren't necessarily ducking but not upright either.

wb_age
06-04-2014, 10:01 PM
BANKERS

1. Minson - yet again rucks all game against 2 changing opponents and comes out on top.

2. Roughhead - bleeds red white and blue. What true bulldog!

3. Crameri - I am excited about him again like the day we signed him.

ANCHORS

1. JJ - although he was better than he was against Norf, he still needed to do a bit more.

2. Umpires - Richmond forwards are allowed to push in the back in marking contest are they? And in the first quarter Vickery gets bodied under the ball and gets a free, cmon man. I thought the umpires were below par today for both teams, but they seemed to give the tigers frees in front of the sticks. And don't mention Scotchin (oops I just did, free kick)

3. Roughhead's injury - we will miss him deeply. Time for someone else to stand up.

I think the game saving tackle in the dying seconds of the game would render him a banker.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Bankers

Anchors

Maybe they felt pity for him, being one man against 18 all game.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Disclaimer: I only listened on the radio.

Bankers:
1. Macrae.
2. Jones.
3. Crameri

Anchors:
1. Brayshaw's love affair with Push Up. I get the joke, but it's pretty old now. Which leads me to the next…
2. Commentating teams obsessed with inane drivel during games. Especially when you're only listening via the radio, it's imperative to actually call the game. Nobody gives a shit what so and so thinks of player x's career so far. CALL THE GAME!!
3. Our third quarter. Good on them for hanging in there, but it's alarming we never seem to put the foot on the throat. Hopefully that will come with experience in the side.

azabob
07-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Disclaimer: I only listened on the radio.

2. Commentating teams obsessed with inane drivel during games. Especially when you're only listening via the radio, it's imperative to actually call the game. Nobody gives a shit what so and so thinks of player x's career so far. CALL THE GAME!!

Why listen to that station then? Why not try ABC?

Ozza
07-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Bankers:

Macrae - just an absolute gun of a young player. Tonnes of class and poise - did it all.

Libba - really lifted for us when the momentum was against us - which is a great quality.

Crameri - the play that result in the Gia winning goal is the best example. Had the ball 40 out for the Tigers goal - took off and burnt his opponent - actually got ahead of the play again and got it back off Boyd to send us inside 50. We got what we paid for on saturday. If thats what we can expect - then we've done well.

Special mentions to Jones game and clutch goal (he's kicked a few clutch goals for us now), Easton Wood's defensive efforts, Cooney's composure and Roughead's guts and heart.

Anchors:

Don't like give them after a hard fought team-win but...

Williams - fair to say he was 'rusty'....and that's being diplomatic. How many times was he in the best position - and by the time the ball reached the contest he was out of it. For Vickery to take that late in the 4th quarter mark when Williams had position - tells me he might not have heaps of footy left in him with Roughead, Talia, Roberts etc developing. Certainly not as a defender.

Stringer - he wasn't hopeless. He'll be a very good player I have no doubt. But he let Chaplin take several intercept marks and set up the play for them. He'll learn from it no doubt.

Lachie Hunter - miss in the 3rd quarter from 20, then they got 2 quick goals...momentum shifted.

EasternWest
07-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Why listen to that station then? Why not try ABC?

Plus one for ABC. It's the best coverage by a mile.

azabob
07-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Lachie Hunter - miss in the 3rd quarter from 20, then they got 2 quick goals...momentum shifted.

Agree with Hunters miss in the 3rd.

I was also extremely disapointed with Boyds miss on the run straight after half time, that almost would have killed Richmond off. He should have kicked it.

Ozza
07-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Agree with Hunters miss in the 3rd.

I was also extremely disapointed with Boyds miss on the run straight after half time, that almost would have killed Richmond off. He should have kicked it.

Yeah - Boyd had forever to kick it - I was actually surprised he missed it, as Boyd usually kicks pretty accurately for goal on the run.

Bulldog4life
07-04-2014, 06:34 PM
BANKERS:

Jong's improved skill levels from last week. A real goer and could be a regular player for us for many years.

Good to see Crameri's improved form.

Young Jack Mac you are a star. Congrats to our recruiters.

always right
07-04-2014, 11:43 PM
BANKERS:

Jong's improved skill levels from last weedk. A real goer and could be a regular player for us for many years.

Good to see Crameri's improved form.

Young Jack Mac you are a star. Congrats to our recruiters.

To make a footy career I think Jong needs to improve his kicking penetration, develop his left foot and get a few tricks into his game to help himself get out of pressure situations. What he does have however is pace, courage, discipline and a powerful physique. I really hope he makes it.

1eyedog
07-04-2014, 11:47 PM
He looked worse than that. If it was a horse race, they would have brought out the screen.

Like what you wrote about Stringer. He is in danger of turning into a dud draft pick. Back to the 2's for Stringer next week. And get rid of the beard. The era of the beard is over. It was over before the 1970's. Young people who wear beards fall into one of two looks. Either like dirty druggies or like preening poncey mirror gazers. Either way, not good.

Saying Stringer is fast becoming a dud draft pick is your 2nd best post today after castrating Higgins because he didn't make the distance from 55.

My banker is the sheer exhilaration on Macrae's face when he dished off to Stringer in front of goal against the flow of play. He really wants to play for us and has bought in. Love him. Loving the Goal celebrations too - very exciting.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Ditto for me on Roughie ( gutsy effort)

The Underdog
08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Bankers:

Jones - Really put it together, was in the right places and was solid with the ball on the deck. Has to do it consistently but was good to see a positive sign.

Crameri - First half was just fantastic. Was starting to worry after the pre-season and the first 2 weeks but showed what he's capable of

Higgins - Tackling of the team was a highlight, but his ability to hold on one handed to his opponent while lying on the ground in those last few minutes to stop Richmond being able to break forward was huge

Anchors:
Higgins - Seriously, know where your man is on the mark when you kick at goal. That shot in the first quarter was embarrassing and I could see it coming from where I sat.

Lachie Hunter - Again, for a guy who is a brilliant snap and goal sneak, his tendency to miss easy set shots is a worry.

Picken - His attempt to spot Boyd between two Richmond players in the 3rd quarter was never going to end well. Bad choice when Richmond were gaining momentum handed them an opportunity.

wb_age
08-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Bankers:

Jones - Really put it together, was in the right places and was solid with the ball on the deck. Has to do it consistently but was good to see a positive sign.

Crameri - First half was just fantastic. Was starting to worry after the pre-season and the first 2 weeks but showed what he's capable of

Higgins - Tackling of the team was a highlight, but his ability to hold on one handed to his opponent while lying on the ground in those last few minutes to stop Richmond being able to break forward was huge

Anchors:
Higgins - Seriously, know where your man is on the mark when you kick at goal. That shot in the first quarter was embarrassing and I could see it coming from where I sat.

Lachie Hunter - Again, for a guy who is a brilliant snap and goal sneak, his tendency to miss easy set shots is a worry.

Picken - His attempt to spot Boyd between two Richmond players in the 3rd quarter was never going to end well. Bad choice when Richmond were gaining momentum handed them an opportunity.

That was JJ

Edit - sorry you were talking about the tackle on Conca, that was terrific.

JJ's tackle in the forward 50 was equally impressive.

The Underdog
08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
That was JJ

Edit - sorry you were talking about the tackle on Conca, that was terrific.

JJ's tackle in the forward 50 was equally impressive.

I haven't got around to watching the last quarter back, but Higgins tackle definitely stood out to me at the game and I wanted to credit him as he often gets bagged for not doing those sort of things. Don't remember JJ's off the top of my head but watching back the first 2+ quarters I was struck by the defensive job he did. He wasn't his usual self moving the ball and seems to be down in confidence but did a super job on Edwards.

F'scary
08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I haven't got around to watching the last quarter back, but Higgins tackle definitely stood out to me at the game and I wanted to credit him as he often gets bagged for not doing those sort of things. Don't remember JJ's off the top of my head but watching back the first 2+ quarters I was struck by the defensive job he did. He wasn't his usual self moving the ball and seems to be down in confidence but did a super job on Edwards.

I think JJ's tackle was the one that killed Richmond's last shot at goal. The kick floated to the pocket where Wood saw it out of bounds.

F'scary
08-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Saying Stringer is fast becoming a dud draft pick is your 2nd best post today after castrating Higgins because he didn't make the distance from 55.

My banker is the sheer exhilaration on Macrae's face when he dished off to Stringer in front of goal against the flow of play. He really wants to play for us and has bought in. Love him. Loving the Goal celebrations too - very exciting.

Stringer is really starting to worry me. I know, only 13 games. But the lack of basic involvement is concerning.

Higgins didn't make the distance twice. I didn't castrate him but his groin is gone.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Stringer is really starting to worry me. I know, only 13 games. But the lack of basic involvement is concerning.

Higgins didn't make the distance twice. I didn't castrate him but his groin is gone.
He was 50 metres out and ran to close to the man on the mark.
Stringer's worrying me as well, I mean a bloke with 15 games experience should know his game by now.

F'scary
08-04-2014, 08:46 PM
He was 50 metres out and ran to close to the man on the mark.
Stringer's worrying me as well, I mean a bloke with 15 games experience should know his game by now.

#5 draft pick.

1eyedog
08-04-2014, 10:37 PM

Higgins would have no hope of laying that last tackle at the end of the game if his groin was gone. He wouldn't have even got near that contest.

#5 draft pick.

Toumpas at 4 and Wines at 7 haven't done much either. Wines has had a very ordinary start to the season. Have picks 1-3 even played yet?

Greystache
08-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Toumpas at 4 and Wines at 7 haven't done much either. Wines has had a very ordinary start to the season. Have picks 1-3 even played yet?

Whitfield, O'Rourke, and Plowman.

Whitfield is playing pretty well, Plowman is getting games now but hasn't shown anything special, O'Rourke has had some injuries but is reportedly a long way off the level thus far.

People get so wound up about who is the best player in their first year and declare clubs got the order wrong, without giving any consideration to where they may be in 3-4 years.

That idiot Dan Lonergan was already declaring after round 2 that the Bulldogs screwed up taking Bontempelli over Aish because Aish was getting games.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Bankers
roughie
Macrae
Higgins
Libba
anchors
goalkicking
umpiring in first quarter

Prince Imperial
09-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Wines has had a very ordinary start to the season.

Really? He's averaging 25 disposals per game, kicked 5 goals and has twice been named in the best players on the AFL website. :confused:

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 12:46 AM

Whitfield is playing pretty well, Plowman is getting games now but hasn't shown anything special, O'Rourke has had some injuries but is reportedly a long way off the level thus far.

People get so wound up about who is the best player in their first year and declare clubs got the order wrong, without giving any consideration to where they may be in 3-4 years.

That idiot Dan Lonergan was already declaring after round 2 that the Bulldogs screwed up taking Bontempelli over Aish because Aish was getting games.
I heard that as well. Incredible really

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 12:49 AM
#5 draft pick.

For goodness sake he's played 15 odd games .
Going just a tad early

boydogs
09-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Going just a tad early

And he's actually playing. Josh Prudden was taken in the same draft, didn't break his leg and isn't a KPF, yet he hasn't played a game. No-one is posting concerns with that selection.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 02:35 AM
#5 draft pick.
Sorry to add to the chorus of posters shit-bagging this statement, but I have to say it's rather deserved. That mentality, the impatience, the expectation that a high pick equals instant Buddy Franklin is something that has always bugged me about Dogs fans.

And he's actually playing. Josh Prudden was taken in the same draft, didn't break his leg and isn't a KPF, yet he hasn't played a game. No-one is posting concerns with that selection.he's had a fair few setbacks injury-wise though

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 02:56 AM
Sorry to add to the chorus of posters shit-bagging this statement, but I have to say it's rather deserved. That mentality, the impatience, the expectation that a high pick equals instant Buddy Franklin is something that has always bugged me about Dogs fans.
he's had a fair few setbacks injury-wise though
Stringer's coming back from an horrific broken leg a few years ago as well
Can we show just a bit of patience

Sedat
09-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Of course Stringer hasn't set the world on fire yet. As others have alluded to, it is a minor miracle that he's even playing considering the horrific injury he sustained 2 years ago. Some players never get back to their best after a broken leg (Lawson, Stoneham, Brown), others do get back to their best but it takes at least 18 months after returning to play to do so (Barlow, Voss). It is only 18 months since his return from injury, not to mention he's a kid and he hasn't yet got the tank to run games out. And he's currently playing a key position role up forward, which is bloody hard at the best of times. Sure he's not running games out as best as possible but he has footy smarts, he influences contests, he innately runs to the right spots and he looks dangerous whenever the ball is delivered to our forward line. Imagine what he will be like when he has a tank to match his ability and he can then run harder for longer in games?

Forget Macrae, Wines and Mayes. They are all mids with no serious injury history and were always going to develop quicker than Stringer. Let's just enjoy his development over the next few years. Who cares if he is not dominating games in 2014 - what he can do in 2016-2020 is all that really matters.

1eyedog
09-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Yes we have had a number of high picks that probably should have been low picks. Lonergan doesn't seem to understand that our list (and depth) is a fair bit stronger than Brisbane's and while we are screaming for some polish Brisbane are desperate for it and need to get games into Aish to see what he's all about.

Plowman was the guy I was thinking of not Wines and I thought Plowman went at 7 and Wines at 3 so I had it all messed up.

Really? He's averaging 25 disposals per game, kicked 5 goals and has twice been named in the best players on the AFL website. :confused:

Yes wrong player as above.

bornadog
09-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Who cares if he is not dominating games in 2014 - what he can do in 2016-2020 is all that really matters.

I have no doubt Stringer is going to be very good for us. I think is performance to date has been pretty good for a young player and the important thing is he has a footy brain. A couple of more pre-seasons and watch out.

Greystache
09-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Yes we have had a number of high picks that probably should have been low picks. Lonergan doesn't seem to understand that our list (and depth) is a fair bit stronger than Brisbane's and while we are screaming for some polish Brisbane are desperate for it and need to get games into Aish to see what he's all about.

Plowman was the guy I was thinking of not Wines.

As a footy analyst Lonergan would make a good male model.

Aish is also odds on to go home to Adelaide at some point.

jeemak
09-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Wines was picked after our first two. He's had a great start to his career IMO and would have been a good pick up for us (or anyone).

I find it completely laughable that anyone would be worrying about Stringer being a dud pick at this point in time. I can't give the concept anything more than that.

For what it's worth though, I thought from the replay (didn't get to the game unfortunately) he showed excellent intent at attacking the contest and man in some instances that may have been lacking in the first week or two of the season.

I'd like to see him get more of the footy, though I understand he needs time to build his fitness.

Bankers:

Libba - Just a monster around the contest. He is unbelievably good

Crameri - Ran so hard and worked all day

Team run - The offensive running particularly in the first half was exception

Anchors:

Scheduling - The second half showed how three consecutive weeks of bad scheduling can affect the outcome of games. The three day difference in recovery was a factor in the second half

Defensive work - In the second half there were too many instances of players losing concentration and allowing their opponents to get goal side of them. A lot will be learned during the week after the review with any hope, players should be reminded that when playing to an accountable set-up the first thing to lapse when tired is positioning

Morris in the back - I'm not sure if I'm crazy, but I clearly saw Morris get pushed out of a contest that resulted in a Reiwoldt mark and goal which I didn't think could be missed

Mantis
09-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Morris in the back - I'm not sure if I'm crazy, but I clearly saw Morris get pushed out of a contest that resulted in a Reiwoldt mark and goal which I didn't think could be missed

Whilst contact was definitely made, I didn't think Dale helped his cause in his over-playing of the impact.

jeemak
09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
You're probably right. I find it interesting when umpires decide to take into account such factors and when they don't.

always right
09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Whilst contact was definitely made, I didn't think Dale helped his cause in his over-playing of the impact.

Perhaps....but Morris is not noted for exagerating contact.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Going just a tad early

I only said I was starting to worry. You are in denial if you can't see any reason for a little concern.

And he's actually playing. Josh Prudden was taken in the same draft, didn't break his leg and isn't a KPF, yet he hasn't played a game. No-one is posting concerns with that selection.

Bad comparison. Prudden was a 50-ish draft pick. A smokey. No wonder no one posts concerns.

What is "shit-bagging?" Please explain - including the metaphorical comparitor. I like the sound of the phrase and want to make sure I use it correctly.

Stringer's coming back from an horrific broken leg a few years ago as well
Can we show just a bit of patience

One can be a patient worrier.

I have no doubt Stringer is going to be very good for us. I think is performance to date has been pretty good for a young player and the important thing is he has a footy brain. A couple of more pre-seasons and watch out.

Thank you, BAD.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
I find it completely laughable that anyone would be worrying about Stringer being a dud pick at this point in time. I can't give the concept anything more than that.

For what it's worth though, I thought from the replay (didn't get to the game unfortunately) he showed excellent intent at attacking the contest and man in some instances that may have been lacking in the first week or two of the season.

I'd like to see him get more of the footy, though I understand he needs time to build his fitness.

So, Stringer attacked the contest in some instances, attack which may have been missing in the first week of two of the season. He needs to get more of the footy, needs to build his fitness.

Thank you Jeemak. I rest my case. I was worrying about nothing.

ratsmac
09-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Of course Stringer hasn't set the world on fire yet. As others have alluded to, it is a minor miracle that he's even playing considering the horrific injury he sustained 2 years ago. Some players never get back to their best after a broken leg (Lawson, Stoneham, Brown), others do get back to their best but it takes at least 18 months after returning to play to do so (Barlow, Voss). It is only 18 months since his return from injury, not to mention he's a kid and he hasn't yet got the tank to run games out. And he's currently playing a key position role up forward, which is bloody hard at the best of times. Sure he's not running games out as best as possible but he has footy smarts, he influences contests, he innately runs to the right spots and he looks dangerous whenever the ball is delivered to our forward line. Imagine what he will be like when he has a tank to match his ability and he can then run harder for longer in games?

Forget Macrae, Wines and Mayes. They are all mids with no serious injury history and were always going to develop quicker than Stringer. Let's just enjoy his development over the next few years. Who cares if he is not dominating games in 2014 - what he can do in 2016-2020 is all that really matters.

Amen, thank you Sedat.

boydogs
09-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not saying we should be questioning the Prudden selection. Prudden seems to be coming along alright, had some good games in the VFL despite having a few injuries.

Bad comparison. Prudden was a 50-ish draft pick. A smokey. No wonder no one posts concerns.

Maybe, but it's not a case of the earlier they are selected the earlier you expect them to play or excel. Even on draft day, if you had asked me which would be playing first I would have said Prudden as Stringer was a KPF coming back from a leg injury

jeemak
09-04-2014, 09:05 PM
So, Stringer attacked the contest in some instances, attack which may have been missing in the first week of two of the season. He needs to get more of the footy, needs to build his fitness.

Thank you Jeemak. I rest my case. I was worrying about nothing.

Yes, so in the first two games he was inconsistent in his attack on the ball and man. In the last game I thought he attacked both more consistently, hence the differentiation between the two.

I might also add that he's playing the most difficult role a forward can play, which is as an undersized key forward target. When players of his age and type, and are at his fitness level there's not many key backs that can't go with them. Tough gig Stringer's gig right now, and I think you're jumping the gun.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Yes, so in the first two games he was inconsistent in his attack on the ball and man. In the last game I thought he attacked both more consistently, hence the differentiation between the two.

I might also add that he's playing the most difficult role a forward can play, which is as an undersized key forward target. When players of his age and type, and are at his fitness level there's not many key backs that can't go with them. Tough gig Stringer's gig right now, and I think you're jumping the gun.

Fair enough. Do you think Cordy should be given a go at FF this week at Stringer's expense? I think the match committee should be experimenting a bit where players are not putting in compelling arguments for re-selection. I know I have shit-bagged Cordy a little bit in the past - but he kicked 5 goals and got a good wrap from Woofers who went to the game.

lemmon
09-04-2014, 09:13 PM

I've argued against him being a key forward frequently but I think Taylor Walker is probably a good comparison. Similar size, similar type and didn't really do much till he was 22. Improvement in his strength in the one on one contest will be just as important as improvement in his stamina if the match committee do see key forward as his end spot.

F'scary
09-04-2014, 09:15 PM
I think Stringer is plenty big enough to play FF. Like the Taylor Walker comparison. If he gets to that level, we are set for a flag.

jeemak
09-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Fair enough. Do you think Cordy should be given a go at FF this week at Stringer's expense? I think the match committee should be experimenting a bit where players are not putting in compelling arguments for re-selection. I know I have shit-bagged Cordy a little bit in the past - but he kicked 5 goals and got a good wrap from Woofers who went to the game.

No I don't. For two reasons.

1. Stringer should get another game due to his (as I perceive it) increased intensity, and the fact he needs develop physically at the senior level (IMO)

2. Cordy needs some continuity in performance at the lower level against a range of different defenders (which he will face at senior level - he won't play against gorillas all the time)

F'scary
09-04-2014, 09:34 PM
No I don't. For two reasons.

1. Stringer should get another game due to his (as I perceive it) increased intensity, and the fact he needs develop physically at the senior level (IMO)

2. Cordy needs some continuity in performance at the lower level against a range of different defenders (which he will face at senior level - he won't play against gorillas all the time)

After reflecting on this, I concur with your argument. Stringer did cover a lot more ground on Saturday, that's true. And Ayce needs to show his 5 wasn't just a flash in the pan.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 02:02 PM

:D I was waiting for you to get that in somewhere now that it has been uploaded to your CPU

F'scary
10-04-2014, 07:48 PM
:D I was waiting for you to get that in somewhere now that it has been uploaded to your CPU

I found out the derivation too.

Apparently, back in the 1840's when the first houses were being built in Collingwood, the locals did not have enough coin to purchase timber palings or cement, sand & lime so they ingeniously shat in gunny sacks and then used that for the rendering. It worked well enough but the shit bagged homes attracted a lot of insects, which in turn attracted a lot of Magpies. And that's how the team got its name.

1eyedog
11-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Apparently, back in the 1840's when the first houses were being built in Collingwood, the locals did not have enough coin to purchase timber palings or cement, sand & lime so they ingeniously shat in gunny sacks and then used that for the rendering. It worked well enough but the shit bagged homes attracted a lot of insects, which in turn attracted a lot of Magpies. And that's how the team got its name.

A most excellent summation :D

LostDoggy
11-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Love it.

LostDoggy
11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
In the early 1900's at Glenferrie Oval, amenities were not what they are now. There were 22 holes in the ground where a calico sack was placed capture the crowds excrement. One day the property steward left all the jumpers at home. With no time to spare all 22 "shit-bags" were duly emptied with holes cut in them. Henceforth the mighty fighting hawks have been running around in the Brown and Gold.

LostDoggy
11-04-2014, 06:06 PM
So glad to have added shit-bag to the WOOF vernacular. My work here is done.