PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 3

GVGjr
05-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Its back again.

Once the Round 3 match against Richmond is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Its back again.

Once the Round 3 match against Richmond is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

-I hate player 'x' is as good as an historical player. But Macrae being the next Pendlebury is as close as any comparison as I will accept. I love him already
- Jones looks like a gun forward when kicks straight
- Morris needs to cloned, he's just so good, his run and shimmy throughout the pack on the wing was awesome

wimberga
05-04-2014, 05:57 PM
- I think I may have already known this, but Jackson Macrae is an absolute star and never gives in
- When we get a forward combination with Stringer, Crameri, Dahlhaus and Hunter all firing at the same time, we are going to cause huge headaches
- Richmond will forever dissapoint, its in their genes and I feel like today has put a serious dent in their collective mindset for the 2014 season.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I love this club even more that I thought I did - drenched in sweat after this game
I love 2012. Man crush flicks between Macrae and Hunter like a pendulum
I love this rebuild and everyone put in place to execute it

Remi Moses
05-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I love beating Richmond twice in one day
I love hearing microwave Mario almost cry after the game
Did I mention I love beating Rivhmond

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 06:21 PM
1. Jack Macrae might be our next Captain.
2. Crameri showed glimpses today of why we wanted him so much.
3. I'm a bit concerned about Stringer. Not so much his effort, but more what we do with him.

bornadog
05-04-2014, 06:51 PM
1. I learnt I hate Richmond even more than I thought I did.

2. I learnt I can't stand Riewoldt (Both of them)

3. I learnt we are still on the right path and we will only improve.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
1. Richmond are highly overrated. Even without Delidio and Valustin, couldn't match the work ethic of a team 10 places lower than them on the ladder last year. Play four quarters of good footy and they will fold 9 times out of 10.
Not that we are a four quarter team quite yet, but we proved we can just about do it for one game.
2. The vision of a Crameri, Stringer, Jones forward line is starting to appear take flight. Exciting times.
3. Lachie Hunter may be just as good as everyone hypes him up to be!

Sedat
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
1. In racing parlance, Tom Williams is the worst player in the history of the game first up after a long spell
2. Macrae is going to be a special player - elite decision making and ball use, not to mention courageous gut-running, just rthe complete modern midfield package
3. Defensive intent when we don't have the ball and attacking intent when we do have the ball - sounds simple but we are starting to get the balance right

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
1. Jack Macrae might be our next Captain.
2. Crameri showed glimpses today of why we wanted him so much.
3. I'm a bit concerned about Stringer. Not so much his effort, but more what we do with him.

What do you mean? I thought he contested pretty well. Could have had a few set shots.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
- I think I may have already known this, but Jackson Macrae is an absolute star and never gives in
- When we get a forward combination with Stringer, Crameri, Dahlhaus and Hunter all firing at the same time, we are going to cause huge headaches
- Richmond will forever dissapoint, its in their genes and I feel like today has put a serious dent in their collective mindset for the 2014 season.

Our love our blue collar work ethic as opposed to their inked up - jeep-riding - comanchero loving swagger.

soupman
05-04-2014, 07:33 PM
1. Richmond are highly overrated. Even without Delidio and Valustin, couldn't match the work ethic of a team 10 places lower than them on the ladder last year. Play four quarters of good footy and they will fold 9 times out of 10.
Not that we are a four quarter team quite yet, but we proved we can just about do it for one game.

Richmond are a bunch of frontrunners who excel against sides that try and shootout with them (teams like North) and bottom four sides, but will continually wilt and fail to perform in high pressure and/or contested games. I rate them almost as little as I rate Carlton, and Carlton are putrid.

3. Lachie Hunter may be just as good as everyone hypes him up to be!

Like Macrae he has amazing awareness and the ability to almost always find a way to get it to the best possible option. He, Macrae and Stringer all have the ability to be top 15 players in the comp, god I hope they can get there.

AndrewP6
05-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Macrae could be very, very special.
The umpires are still rubbish.
Tom Williams must make a very good impression during the week at work. There's no way he should've played today.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
1. Jack Macrae is "doing a Libba" and will be regarded as a near-elite midfielder at the end of his second AFL season.
2. Matthew Boyd is still a bloody great player.
3. Macca's "good blokes only" draft and trade policy is golden. The amount of heart and care our players showed today was inspirational.

Greystache
05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
1. When we pressure hard but also take the game on we are a difficult team to play against.

2. Tom Williams is the worst player on our list, why we're trying to talk him out of retirement is beyond me.

3. I have no idea where Jackson McCrae's ceiling is.

Hotdog60
05-04-2014, 07:59 PM
We need to back ourselves and look inboard more often.
To many kicks out to the wings with a contest and didn't see the player streaming down the middle.
I pray for the day when we play a team that they never look like getting back into the game.
But we do have a future and that future is bright.

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 08:28 PM
What do you mean? I thought he contested pretty well. Could have had a few set shots.

Never looked like actually winning a one on one contest and tried to sneak out the back on too many occasions.

I think his workrate is ok without being outstanding, but he's not big enough or strong enough to be a key forward. With Crameri in the side we can't play him as a lead up forward, and he's miles off playing in the midfield.

So I'm concerned about what we do with him. I'm not sure what's not clear about that.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
3rd Tall. Has the potential to play a role like Darling. We just don't have a Kennedy and Nic Nat/Cox combo to support him yet. Once we sort a 1st tall issue our forward line will come together.

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
3rd Tall. Has the potential to play a role like Darling. We just don't have a Kennedy and Nic Nat/Cox combo to support him yet. Once we sort a 1st tall issue our forward line will come together.

Because sorting a first tall option has been one of our strong points for the last thirty years.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Because sorting a first tall option has been one of our strong points for the last thirty years.

Easy tiger. Simon Beasley.

Maddog37
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Who will teams tag out of Griff, Libba and Macrae? If Dal and Hunter continue to improve it will be a scary midfield.

Lin has some talent.

Dale Morris is a superstar.

azabob
05-04-2014, 09:08 PM
1. Roughead is as tough and mentally strong as they come - according to BMAC he hurt his shoulder in the first quarter.

2. Macrae isn't afraid of taking the hit for his teammates and his team.

3. We still need to work on our centre square clearance work.

EasternWest
05-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Easy tiger. Simon Beasley.

Played till 89. Dammit, 25 years then!

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Crameri and Jones provided a badly needed lift in attack today.
A welcome return to form by Liberatore which made a big difference.
Macrae was a star again and good to see youngsters in Hunter Jong and Stringer contributing.

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Played till 89. Dammit, 25 years then!

Carry on !

LostDoggy
05-04-2014, 09:43 PM
1. Hats off to Roughhead. What courage to stay on the field. I know I couldn't do it.
2. Jong spent a fair amount of time blocking or standing outside stoppages as the 2nd tier ring around. His burst speed /closing speed is an asset to be valued as it is in short supply at our club compared to the topline clubs. The Hawks seem to have multiple players with this particular attribute. I can understand why we are investing more time into Jong despite his deficiencies.
3. Griffen took a step forward today but is still off his best.

F'scary
06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
1. My expectations of the side have gone up so much (because of last season's finish and the hyping of our recruiting, etc) that even though I am having a better weekend because we won, I am still down on a lot of players because of the way we let Richmond back into the game. Particularly, the run of center bounce clearances and turnovers in the second half. However, see 2. below.

2. Giving one side 9 days off and the other 6 days off between matches is such terrible scheduling it comes close to rigging of outcomes. The AFL should hire a charge nurse or a school vice-principal or a senior sergeant or someone else who knows how to put time tables / rosters together to compile the season's fixture.

3. I only had two learnings.

Mantis
06-04-2014, 02:04 PM
1/ The only thing that is going to hold back Macrae from being 'elite' is his right leg.

2/ Libba is a warrior.

3/ We shouldn't be playing underdone players.

ratsmac
06-04-2014, 02:11 PM
1. Stuart Crameri is looking to be a perfect role model of the gut running and effort needed for our young forwards. Hope he brings it every week.

2. Lin Jong might actually make it in the AFL. I loved the goal where he had the ball in the backline, dished off and ran backing up his team mates and ended up with the ball again and finished off with a nice goal.

3. We are no longer so reliant on Griffen, Cooney and Boyd. Our young pups are more than pulling their weight when the heat is on.

Scorlibo
06-04-2014, 02:52 PM

So we've spent a top five pick on a third tall? Sorry if that doesn't sound so appealing..

Pickenitup
06-04-2014, 03:09 PM
1.Plenty of Good Football left In Matthew Boyd(One of his best games in years)
2.Macrae is going to be a delight to watch over the next 10 years.
3.Bob Murphy just keeps getting better and better the older he gets could he be Dustin Fletcher Mark 2?
Bobs Pass to Higgo in the 2nd qtr was just first class.

westdog54
06-04-2014, 04:04 PM
The class of '12 will eclipse the class of '99.
We're getting mentally tougher. 12 months ago we would have lost that game.
Nothing beats beating Richmond twice in a day.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2014, 05:33 PM
The class of '12 will eclipse the class of '99.
We're getting mentally tougher. 12 months ago we would have lost that game.
Nothing beats beating Richmond twice in a day.

Nothing like a big comment, at point one. If that occurs, by George our club will be strong for some time. 1000+ games and around 1000 goals is a big record. Bring it on I say!

always right
06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
1. Macrae has got a lot better a lot quicker than anyone could have reasonably expected
2. Macca has developed some real character in this group....with Roughy's effort a clear example
3. Crameri can be devastating. That gut busting run out of defence to get on the end of the passage that led to the winning goal was awe-inspiring.

LostDoggy
06-04-2014, 07:37 PM
So we've spent a top five pick on a third tall? Sorry if that doesn't sound so appealing..

Not sure it's appealing but its what we did.... At least he's still fun when he's on song and I guess we all need a 3rd tall at some point. We just need Kennedy to go with him.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 11:08 AM
1. After watching the VFL game, missed the main event for a 50th in Heathcote. Driving up there, I learnt that a lot can change in a quarter, my radio signal cut out past lancefield, we're 37 points up. Get to Tooborac, radio signal comes back, 3 points. Damn boys.

2. I think Crameri, Libba, both showed that one or two games of poor form is not nearly enough to worry about. Although I have my misgivings long term, I learnt to apply that same logic to Tommy Williams and give him a few games before I write him off.

3. I learnt that Jack Riewoldt is as hard as margarine. Oh wait, knew that already.

I think it's far too early in Stringer's career to be pigeon holing him just yet. Although I realise patience is NOT always a virtue of our fans, patience it must be. Let's see what the fella does as he develops, and let's stop comparing development times with peers. Different kids develop at different rates, take into account his leg injury and suddenly it doesn't seem so dire does it?

Scorlibo
07-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I think it's far too early in Stringer's career to be pigeon holing him just yet. Although I realise patience is NOT always a virtue of our fans, patience it must be. Let's see what the fella does as he develops, and let's stop comparing development times with peers. Different kids develop at different rates, take into account his leg injury and suddenly it doesn't seem so dire does it?

Sorry for not being clearer: I'm not bagging Stringer. I'm perfectly happy with his development thus far, I just don't like him being pigeonholed, as you say, as a third tall. If he's already being targeted for a third tall role then the question would have to be asked, "why have we spent a top five pick on a third tall?"

Surely we have to lend some faith to the idea of Stringer becoming the main forward target?

Happy Days
07-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Sorry for not being clearer: I'm not bagging Stringer. I'm perfectly happy with his development thus far, I just don't like him being pigeonholed, as you say, as a third tall. If he's already being targeted for a third tall role then the question would have to be asked, "why have we spent a top five pick on a third tall?"

Surely we have to lend some faith to the idea of Stringer becoming the main forward target?

Stringer is going to be a midfielder no? Isn't that what is constantly being banded around? Roo 2.0? I don't think it's too farfetched.

We started Ward on a forward flank, Griffen on a back flank, etc. before expanding their roles. String shouldn't be looked at differently because he's shown ability to kick goals - definitely not looked at lesser.

To those suggesting he may be a dud selection, give it a wash.

Ozza
07-04-2014, 05:41 PM
1. When we pressure hard but also take the game on we are a difficult team to play against.

2. Tom Williams is the worst player on our list, why we're trying to talk him out of retirement is beyond me.

3. I have no idea where Jackson McCrae's ceiling is.

Like points 1 & 3 in particular!

1. Libba has the rare trait - of being able to turn the momentum of a game back in our direction with some brilliance and/or toughness

2. 2 or 3 points can make a huge difference as to whether its a good weekend or not!

3. Jack Macrae takes care/pride in everything he does on the footy field.

Maddog37
07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Stringer always reminds me of Luke Hodge. I reckon he will just be played wherever we need him at the time.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Like points 1 & 3 in particular!

1. Libba has the rare trait - of being able to turn the momentum of a game back in our direction with some brilliance and/or toughness

2. 2 or 3 points can make a huge difference as to whether its a good weekend or not!

3. Jack Macrae takes care/pride in everything he does on the footy field.

I'm not sure if it's a stat for Jack, but if the game went 5 seconds longer Richmond were running at goal with Riewoldt leading at the ball carrier. Jack landed a massive tackle right on the siren and put the ball carrier into the grass saving what could've been a Richmond shot at goal if there was 5 more seconds. This is what I call playing to the final second. As I say i'm not sure if it's in the stats as it happened on the siren, but the sentiment behind it is worthy a million useless stats.

EasternWest
07-04-2014, 05:48 PM
To those suggesting he may be a dud selection, give it a wash.

I haven't seen anyone suggest he's a dud pick. If you can point that out to me, I'd appreciate it.

If your comment was a pot at me (as I have mentioned my concerns re Stringer) then let me explain in more detail.

I'm concerned with the role we're trying to get Stringer to play. I don't think at this stage he's strong enough to win the wrestle contest and as such his playing in that position doesn't seem to be benefiting him or our team.

My concern in relation to him as a player is that he's developing a tendency to sneak out the back of contests and hope the ball goes his way.

That being said: Stringer was talked about as being "likely to have gone number 1 if not for his leg concerns". That's not from me, that was the talk going around. So let me be very clear: I was ecstatic to get him. I believed the hype then. I still believe it now. Development is not always linear and nor is it comparable to other players. I think Jake will be a gun. I like that he's got a bit of swagger. In no way do I regard his selection as a dud.

But I do have concerns about some habits creeping into his game, and I am concerned that we may not be developing him in the best way. Is that clear enough?

To those suggesting that other people are suggesting that he may be a dud selection when they're perhaps just talking, in an open forum designed for such talk, about their concerns, give it a wash.

boydogs
07-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Good post EW

NoParkingOnMatchDays
07-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Stringer always reminds me of Luke Hodge. I reckon he will just be played wherever we need him at the time.

Reminds me of Allen Jakovich but without the gambling and mental twitter account.

Happy Days
07-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen anyone suggest he's a dud pick. If you can point that out to me, I'd appreciate it.

If your comment was a pot at me (as I have mentioned my concerns re Stringer) then let me explain in more detail.

I'm concerned with the role we're trying to get Stringer to play. I don't think at this stage he's strong enough to win the wrestle contest and as such his playing in that position doesn't seem to be benefiting him or our team.

My concern in relation to him as a player is that he's developing a tendency to sneak out the back of contests and hope the ball goes his way.

That being said: Stringer was talked about as being "likely to have gone number 1 if not for his leg concerns". That's not from me, that was the talk going around. So let me be very clear: I was ecstatic to get him. I believed the hype then. I still believe it now. Development is not always linear and nor is it comparable to other players. I think Jake will be a gun. I like that he's got a bit of swagger. In no way do I regard his selection as a dud.

But I do have concerns about some habits creeping into his game, and I am concerned that we may not be developing him in the best way. Is that clear enough?

To those suggesting that other people are suggesting that he may be a dud selection when they're perhaps just talking, in an open forum designed for such talk, about their concerns, give it a wash.

Wasn't a pot at you ED, was mentioned by another poster in another thread.