PDA

View Full Version : Brendan McCartney On The Couch tonight

bornadog
07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Foxtel 8.30

azabob
07-04-2014, 03:32 PM
That would be good viewing - stupid me, not having foxtel!

Greystache
07-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Good timing. Healy (who's a knob btw) has been pumping us up for quite a while, so he'll be glad he can have a good result to point to.

I don't know whether he really rates us, or whether it's just that he made the call after the Swans game last year we were about to improve rapidly and our corresponding winning run has made him look insightful. Either way it's at least nice to have someone in the media on our side.

azabob
07-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Good timing. Healy (who's a knob btw) has been pumping us up for quite a while, so he'll be glad he can have a good result to point to.

I don't know whether he really rates us, or whether it's just that he made the call after the Swans game last year we were about to improve rapidly and our corresponding winning run has made him look insightful. Either way it's at least nice to have someone in the media on our side.

It must be a Gerard thing (Rating us) both of them Healy & Whateley do rate us. In Healy's defence I think he has been on our bandwagon since start of 2013.

craigsahibee
07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
It must be a Gerard thing (Rating us) both of them Healy & Whateley do rate us. In Healy's defence I think he has been on our bandwagon since start of 2013.

He is a flog though.

Happy Days
07-04-2014, 04:36 PM

He's on our bandwagon but he has no idea why. Knob.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Last year there was not one person from our club on the couch. This year three games in and we have Murphy and now Macca

Twodogs
07-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I too would like to add my thoughts on Gerad Healy. He's a knob.

LostDoggy
07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks BAD, would've missed it otherwise. Owe you one.

chef
07-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Great stuff.

Just so calm and collected. Always gives me the feeling he's going to take us places.

azabob
07-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Great stuff.

Just so calm and collected. Always gives me the feeling he's going to take us places.

Say anything of note? Did they ask about any players specifically?

Any info would be appreciated.

bornadog
07-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Say anything of note? Did they ask about any players specifically?

Any info would be appreciated.

Not alot that we havent heard before.

*Jason asked if due to Tom Willimas missing many games do you treat him differently. Macca replied Tom will have to play down back and all he wants him to do is the basics and he will be surrounded by players that will do the rest

* Liam Jones starting to also do the basics of a big forward, like standing in front of the pack.

* Was asked by Gerard if Crameri spoken to after his performance in first two weeks. Macca said no, but a number of players were asked to put in more effort this week. Says Crameri still has alot to learn as a footballer. Lets not forget he has only just played his 60th game.

* They showed a graph of player breakdown of age and games played. Gerard asked if any timeline to play finals and he said no. Also, how do you manage the older players. Cross gone, Gia is heading into coaching, and Morris, Boyd and Murph all playing well. Didn't really commit anything.

* Agreement with Gia is he will be sub and will also play full games and also no games.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Quite an enjoyable interview. I quite like the response to Gerard.

GH, 'how are young to approach the GWS this week?'
Macca, 'the same as every week'

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 12:54 AM
That's the first time I watched it this year, and could someone tell Dunstall he's not playing nor on the board at Hawthorn anymore.
Good straight shooting from B Mccartney, and certainly a more respectful individual than some of the churlish malthouse efforts.

azabob
08-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks BAD and BT.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Also praised Morris. Said he should be regarded at the same level as the Lenny Hayes and Jude Bolton types.

When asked whether he thought Morris would recapture he's best from after the horrific injury - He mentioned Dale's first match simulation at training, he told him he didn't need to jump or even leave the ground, just get through the game. First contest Dale went flying into a back for a spoil. He knew he would be fine after that moment.

LostDoggy
08-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I too would like to add my thoughts on Gerad Healy. He's a knob.

I'm going against the trend here! When I was about 18, I was walking through Melbourne airport to fly back to Hobart, while wearing my Bulldogs polo top. Gerard Healy made a point to walk toward me and say "Go the doggies, good on ya Son!"

bornadog
08-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm going against the trend here! When I was about 18, I was walking through Melbourne airport to fly back to Hobart, while wearing my Bulldogs polo top. Gerard Healy made a point to walk toward me and say "Go the doggies, good on ya Son!"

I think he is a nice bloke. The only thing I don't like is his special commentary during a match - to me a bit boring, but doesn't get on my nerves like a Dwyane.

Mofra
08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Ja, don't have a problem with him.

It's amazing how on the whole, fans seem to reserve a certain level of distain for pretty much every commentator in the game. I do find it odd. The only ex-player I've ever found stand-offish was Luke Darcy. Even Aker was generous with his time.

jeemak
08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting the notes.

Gerard would be OK if he didn't get basic player names wrong, and barrack for teams he's punted on before the game when he should be making insightful comments.

He knows his football.

Maddog37
08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Macca did say he thought Boyd, Murph and Morris have a fair bit of footy left in them too.

always right
08-04-2014, 10:48 AM
He also mentioned the lead-up to Gia's goal and how in the match review they spent some time highlighting the number of positives in that one passage, in particular the fact that every time Richmond got their hands on the ball there was another bulldogs player all over them. I suspect that the lead-up to Gia's goal would have given him far more satisfaction than the goal itself. Great pressure, numerous goal saving tackles and gut running from several players. I reckon that whole passage personifies what he wants our team to represent.

azabob
08-04-2014, 10:57 AM
He also mentioned the lead-up to Gia's goal and how in the match review they spent some time highlighting the number of positives in that one passage, in particular the fact that every time Richmond got their hands on the ball there was another bulldogs player all over them. I suspect that the lead-up to Gia's goal would have given him far more satisfaction than the goal itself. Great pressure, numerous goal saving tackles and gut running from several players. I reckon that whole passage personifies what he wants our team to represent.

What is even better, everyone on this board has also highlighted the number of positives out of that passage of play! I haven't seen the last 2 mins after that goal, other than live - Im sure its just as desperate.

always right
08-04-2014, 11:23 AM
What is even better, everyone on this board has also highlighted the number of positives out of that passage of play! I haven't seen the last 2 mins after that goal, other than live - Im sure its just as desperate.

That whole passage is a thing of sheer beauty. it reminds me of that game we won against Adealide at the MCG where we attacked from the last line with Johnno running out of defence and linking up with McMahon for a goal to regain the lead. That passage had the gut busting run but none of the intense defensive pressure that Gia's goal culminated from.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 11:28 AM

When Richmond hit the front, I thought that's it we are gone. The next 4 minutes my heart stopped 5 times.:D, but the feeling afterwards was sooooo good.

Templeton31
08-04-2014, 03:34 PM
When Macca was asked about the GWS game the question was put to him something like that GWS are a young, upcoming, talented side and how would he handle that? His response was the same as every week and we were a pretty good young side too i.e we'll be able to handle it thanks very much! I liked it.

mjp
08-04-2014, 04:59 PM
It was a good interview.

Whether you like or dislike the hosts, 'On the Couch' is a good show and Dunstall has added a fair bit - I much prefer having him on the panel to Roos because I find (and this is true of his current stint on 360 each Monday) that Roos is only listening to the question/answer to identify the best way to push his current agenda. Somehow abusing a player in the middle of a game became 'premeditated education' in the world of Paul Roos this week. But I digress.

The interview with Macca was great because he speaks so well and presents himself as an 'equal' to the hosts - not as a coach who really knows more than they do and is doing everyone a favour by merely showing up. Did he reveal much of anything? Know - but he represented our club really well. I have times when I am completely baffled by our on-field displays (as recently as last week in fact) but one thing I will say about the coach is he always seems to answer every question honestly. I hated the Buckley interview last week - Macca spoke well, spoke about our club well and represented the players in a positive light.

always right
08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
It was a good interview.

Whether you like or dislike the hosts, 'On the Couch' is a good show and Dunstall has added a fair bit - I much prefer having him on the panel to Roos because I find (and this is true of his current stint on 360 each Monday) that Roos is only listening to the question/answer to identify the best way to push his current agenda. Somehow abusing a player in the middle of a game became 'premeditated education' in the world of Paul Roos this week. But I digress.

The interview with Macca was great because he speaks so well and presents himself as an 'equal' to the hosts - not as a coach who really knows more than they do and is doing everyone a favour by merely showing up. Did he reveal much of anything? Know - but he represented our club really well. I have times when I am completely baffled by our on-field displays (as recently as last week in fact) but one thing I will say about the coach is he always seems to answer every question honestly. I hated the Buckley interview last week - Macca spoke well, spoke about our club well and represented the players in a positive light.

Completely agree. Some will argue that he doesn't say a lot but he simply answers questions honestly and intelligently. I always come away having learned a bit more and I'm always impressed by his clarity. Occasionally lapses into cliche's but I think he has a clear direction in his own mind as to how we should develop our team and nothing is going to make him waiver.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2014, 09:50 PM
I think he is a nice bloke. The only thing I don't like is his special commentary during a match - to me a bit boring, but doesn't get on my nerves like a Dwyane.

I'm with you. I always liked Healy. Perhaps a bit slow, but doesn't have the 'jock' attitude of a lot of commentators, gives a decent comment or too without being very witty ( except when he doesn't mean to, for example Gold C*nts slip)

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm with you. I always liked Healy. Perhaps a bit slow, but doesn't have the 'jock' attitude of a lot of commentators, gives a decent comment or too without being very witty ( except when he doesn't mean to, for example Gold C*nts slip)

I don't mind him either, to be honest .
Very good show he had with David Hookes on AW.
Lot worse than Gerard Healy ( Dwayne Russell for example)

always right
09-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Posted on Big Footy board. Brilliant.

always right
09-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Even better is this pic...courtesy of poster "Australian Idle". Hope he doesn't mind. It was in response to some argy bargy between pro-Macca and anti-Macca forces on that board.

chef
09-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Like.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Yeah Dwayne is terrible

Ghost Dog
09-04-2014, 04:28 PM
General McCartney hahah. Brilliant.

bornadog
10-04-2014, 06:52 PM
For those that didn't see the show:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-04-10/mccartney-goes-on-the-couch

strebla
13-04-2014, 04:21 PM
For those that didn't see the show:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-04-10/mccartney-goes-on-the-couch