PDA

View Full Version : New proposal for AFL games in Ballarat

bornadog
07-04-2014, 11:08 PM
April 7, 2014 - 8:14PM

http://images.theage.com.au/2014/04/07/5330798/1396865631595.jpg-620x349.jpg

An artist's impression of the development of Ballarat's showgrounds.

A new multimillion-dollar proposal to redevelop North Ballarat’s showgrounds precinct has rekindled the prospect of AFL games at Eureka Stadium.

As the state opposition planned on Tuesday to unveil the $20 million-$30 million scheme around the stadium once mooted as a second home for North Melbourne and Cricket Victoria, it has emerged that the AFL has also earmarked Victoria’s western corridor as holding a pivotal place in its game development, potentially involving the Western Bulldogs, who remain without a second home-fixture stronghold.

While the Kangaroos on Monday night reaffirmed their interest in playing home-and-away games at Eureka Stadium, it is understood there has also been a push for the Western Bulldogs to target Ballarat and its surrounds as part of that club's efforts to extend its boundaries.

Both North and the Bulldogs continue to struggle to make a profit with their stadium deals at Etihad.
St Kilda, another struggling Etihad tenant, has turned to New Zealand as a home venue.
Victorian Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews is expected on Tuesday to unveil his Eureka Stadium proposal in one of Victoria’s most marginal seats as part of Labor’s campaign to win back government in the November state election.

Former premier John Brumby joined forces with North Melbourne in 2010 when he announced a proposed redevelopment of the precinct, but that plan was abandoned when Labor lost the election.
The Kangaroos had looked at playing four games annually at a redeveloped Eureka, but the club is now also committed to two home-and-away games each year at Hobart’s Blundstone Arena.

That deal finishes at the end of 2014, but North boss Carl Dilena said the club expected to open negotiations soon with the Tasmanian government, adding: “We’re still supportive of the concept of playing football in North Ballarat.”

The Kangaroos drew 7800 people to its 2014 NAB Challenge clash against Carlton at the stadium in February.
The biggest AFL attendance at the ground was in a 2012 pre-season game between North and the Bulldogs.

After Ted Baillieu’s government rejected the development, the City of Ballarat, the stadium’s owner, formed a committee in a bid to keep the prospect of a redeveloped community sporting precinct at the showgrounds alive, involving key stakeholders representing Australian football, netball, basketball and cricket.

It has been estimated that a total of $80 million would be required to develop the precinct and transform Eureka Stadium into an AFL venue with a 15,000-spectator capacity.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-proposal-for-afl-games-in-ballarat-20140407-zqry3.html#ixzz2yCXqPFxK

bulldogtragic
07-04-2014, 11:30 PM
We will play there for a few years and then Broken Hill.

Seriously, being an AFL nomad trying to busk for coins where ever we seem to be is a little frustrating.

chef
08-04-2014, 07:24 AM
What a horrible place to play football. Hope we don't end up playing there.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
What a horrible place to play football. Hope we don't end up playing there.

No love for Ballarat?

The Underdog
08-04-2014, 09:54 AM
No love for Ballarat?

Ballarat in July would make Waverley seem like the tropics

comrade
08-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Try living here, brother.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Whitten Oval is pretty cold in July. Ballarat isn't the worst option.

"Did someone say Ballarat?"

Maddog37
08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
C'mon Comrade, it is much better than it was 20 years ago.

There is no parking and no public transport at that ground. It is also a proxy oval at best.

Greystache
08-04-2014, 10:34 AM
To me this just reads as a veiled threat to Etihad Stadium management. If they want to play hard ball on the purchase price of the ground we'll find somewhere else for now and take the stadium for $1 in 2025.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 11:33 AM

The coldest main city in Australia

Ghost Dog
08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
It would be good at least to have the option.
Ticket pricing would have to reflect the regional setting. The NAB game in 2012 was packed out and very festive. There were that many people the AGE journos were having to climb over fences to get to the box.
If this could be sustained is another question.
We are a tough club, and I think we can handle the cold mornings :)

chef
08-04-2014, 11:52 AM
No love for Ballarat?

I went to school there and have played on the oval.......soooooo cold and muddy. Arse end of the earth for me.

chef
08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
The coldest main city in Australia

Yep, it certainly is.

Eastdog
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Yep, it certainly is.

The very high elevation makes it very cold in the winter months.

Maddog37
08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Canberra is not overly warm either!

Eastdog
08-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Canberra is not overly warm either!

Very true.

Remi Moses
08-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Lucky the result was brilliant, but that day in Canberra in 2004 was the coldest day I've had at the footy.
It went from about 10 degrees to 4 by games end.

bornadog
09-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Back in the mid 80's at WO , I remember it was 6 degrees for the whole match. It was the coldest I had ever experiencedc at a match.

ratsmac
09-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd rather play there than Canberra or Darwin if it were to be financially viable for the club. If we had to play somewhere once or twice a season I'd take Kardinia Park or Tassie if the option was there.

Eastdog
09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
What do people think of the home game we have up in Cairns this year.

SonofScray
09-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Doesn't get on my goat as much as the idea of playing out of Geelong and is more accessible than a game sold interstate. If the venue gets upgraded and is up to scratch I'd be open to trying to milk a very strong deal out of playing 3 home games there instead of selling games interstate.

Mostly I just want to see us stop roaming from "market" to "market at the AFL's behest and just settle on a strong, financially solid option that I have access to as a member who is local and wants to see as much footy in Footscray and at our home ground as possible.

Whatever it is, I don't want it to feel like Fitzroy playing out of the Western Oval.

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't mind playing 1 or 2 home games there but no more than that I feel. It would especially affect Dogs supporters who live way on the other side of city. I would like us still mostly to play at Etihad (with a better stadium deal hopefully). I think we need to mostly be playing in a central location and that's near the city which ultimately suits everyone the best I think.

bornadog
23-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Ballarat Office now officially open;

see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-02-21/bulldogs-ballarat-office-officially-open)

Training at Eureka Stadium - see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2017-02-21/the-boys-test-out-eureka-stadium)

bornadog
12-04-2017, 04:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9HF04DVYAA3e61.jpg:large

bulldogtragic
12-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Already much, much better than Spotless Stadium.

Eastdog
12-04-2017, 05:11 PM
So if you use your membership for the 2 replacement games at the G and Etihad and choose to go to the Ballarat one then you would need to get a ticket I believe.

SlimPickens
12-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Went to a game at Spotless last year and thought it was a great venue! Although the result may lend some bias

jeemak
12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Went to a game at Spotless last year and thought it was a great venue! Although the result may lend some bias

Was about to say the same thing!

Axe Man
12-04-2017, 05:33 PM
So if you use your membership for the 2 replacement games at the G and Etihad and choose to go to the Ballarat one then you would need to get a ticket I believe.

Isn't the second replacement game the last round v Hawthorn? The Port game is the round before so if you go to Ballarat it would be the replacement game you potentially couldn't use your membership for.

Eastdog
12-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Isn't the second replacement game the last round v Hawthorn? The Port game is the round before so if you go to Ballarat it would be the replacement game you potentially couldn't use your membership for.

That sounds right.

Twodogs
12-04-2017, 07:48 PM

The front row seats are going to be right over the action.

They might want to work on the surface a bit.

GVGjr
12-04-2017, 08:25 PM
It looks great but we've already outgrown it.
They need to complete the whole stadium not 3 quarters of it.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2017, 09:52 PM

The ground had allocated two seats in every row of the cheer squad (inc. mine), but they were the stairs so we had no seats. Staff were borderline calling us liars and wouldn't simply walk down the stairs, wouldn't give us seats initially and told us we couldn't sit on the stairs where we were allocated. They forced dogs members far and wide across the ground in the end after we started to get antsy. Including sending frail old ladies to the top of the grandstand. I got to sit in the cheer squad in the end, but with one scoreboard, and sitting low we couldn't a see a fair bit of play down the other end, or we had to sit with back to play. Beer sold out before half time at the Bulldogs end. I can't even joke about the venue or staff being ok. The only upside was getting a lot of us pissed off and then us giving it Heath Shaw who was nice to give us daggers and flick us the bird surupticiously from time to time. It's nice to know he heard us, in between getting crazy gestures and sprays from Libba.

Seriously shit venue.

LostDoggy
12-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Not to mention what the hell are they building in the Bulldog pocket?
Looks like a friggin mountain bike course.

Twodogs
12-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Not to mention what the hell are they building in the Bulldog pocket?
Looks like a friggin mountain bike course.

In all seriousness the other day on the telly they said it was an obstacle course. It looks like an obstacle course.

Twodogs
12-04-2017, 10:44 PM
The ground had allocated two seats in every row of the cheer squad (inc. mine), but they were the stairs so we had no seats. Staff were borderline calling us liars and wouldn't simply walk down the stairs, wouldn't give us seats initially and told us we couldn't sit on the stairs where we were allocated. They forced dogs members far and wide across the ground in the end after we started to get antsy. Including sending frail old ladies to the top of the grandstand. I got to sit in the cheer squad in the end, but with one scoreboard, and sitting low we couldn't a see a fair bit of play down the other end, or we had to sit with back to play. Beer sold out before half time at the Bulldogs end. I can't even joke about the venue or staff being ok. The only upside was getting a lot of us pissed off and then us giving it Heath Shaw who was nice to give us daggers and flick us the bird surupticiously from time to time. It's nice to know he heard us, in between getting crazy gestures and sprays from Libba.

Seriously shit venue.

No wonder you and my dad got on so well. It's exactly the sort of thing he works himself up about too.;) "Did you see Bont's goal dad?" "No, I've been glaring at a bloke over there. He was shouting too loud"

Ozza
13-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Loved spotless as a venue to watch footy.

LostDoggy
18-06-2017, 05:54 PM
The front row seats are going to be right over the action.

They might want to work on the surface a bit.
The surface is fantastic, you wouldn't find a better surface anywhere.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/19113573_1058793667585574_3777735539083312542_n_zpsgcf7j1b3. jpg

LostDoggy
29-06-2017, 09:00 AM
It looks great but we've already outgrown it.
They need to complete the whole stadium not 3 quarters of it.

Okay we ought to not get too excited about five minutes of sunshine last season and the honeymoon carrying into this year. Our membership and game attendances have recently spiked on the back of Premiership success last yeat, but consider that if we misfire this season and even get knocked out early in the finals (if we make it ... in consideration that only three games separate #14 on the ladder and #3).

The competition is a lot tighter now and I would expect that if we don't perform as well as perhaps many expected us to this year then we might expect that some of the band-wagon jumpers may fall away. It is likely that our memberships will stabilise and grow steadily after the recent surge, but if on field performance is not meeting supporter expectations then attendances will likely drop again, take North Melbourne and Hawthorn as cases in point. Their attendances in Tassie this year have dropped off spectacularly with average crowds of 9,000 and 13,000 respectively in grounds that hold 20,000.

The WBFC originally asked for a 15,000 seat ground, beyond the two AFL games per-season that we are guaranteeing Ballarat, there is no likelyhood that the ground would ever be filled beyond 15,000 at any other time (short of Ballarat reaching the 150,000 population milestone). To build a 20,000 capacity ground for the sake of 2 AFL games per-year in a city of 102,000 is an unrealistic and unfair demand to put back on rate-payers.

LostDoggy
30-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Eureka Stadium now officially 'Mars Stadium':

Local Ballarat international confectionery giant 'Mars' has been announced as the new naming rights sponsor of Eureka Stadium in Ballarat. The newly-renovated venue, which will host its first AFL game in round 22, is now known as Mars Stadium.

bornadog
13-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Funding boost for Mars Stadium (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-11-13/funding-boost-for-mars-stadium)

Nov 13, 2018 5:14PM

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/589198-tlslargelandscape.jpgThe Government made the announcement today, ahead of the State Election on Saturday, November 24.

A re-elected Andrews Labor Government will deliver an $11.8 million funding boost for Ballarat’s Eureka Sports Precinct, with more than half of that dedicated to improving amenities at Mars Stadium.

The Government made the announcement today, ahead of the State Election on Saturday, November 24.

The game-day experience at Mars Stadium will be improved thanks to a $6.6 million injection which includes:

Additional accessible seating in the Western and Eastern stands.
Upgraded entrances with new ticket boxes.
Covered areas to make it easier and more comfortable for fans to enter the ground.
Permanent bathrooms to replace temporary toilets on match days.
Improved standing areas.
Permanent food and beverage areas.

The Western Bulldogs, the Andrews Government and the City of Ballarat have enjoyed a strong partnership over the last three years, which has seen AFL played in the region for the first time.

The Bulldogs have hosted three AFL games for premiership points at the venue, as well as played in JLT Community Series games and AFLW practice matches.

The Club has also conducted its AFL Community Camps in the region in recent years, and delivered a suite of programs focused on schools, men’s and women’s health and youth leadership.

“Today’s announcement is an indication of the Andrews Government’s commitment to enhancing the game-day experience at Mars Stadium and supporting sport in the region,” said Bulldogs’ President Peter Gordon.

“The Club has made a long-term commitment to building its footprint in the west of Victoria, including Ballarat.
“Each time we’ve played there we’ve learned something new. The last game was the first in which we struck really inclement conditions, and I promised our members that we would respond to ensure that the game-day experience would be better in future games, come rail, hail or shine.

“We are delighted that the Andrews Government has taken this initiative so adeptly, and so responsively, for footy fans and the people of Ballarat.”

The Andrews Government initially provided more than $38.5 million to upgrade the Mars Stadium Precinct, including $15 million to bring the stadium up to a standard to host AFL matches.

Earlier this year it also invested a further $500,000 to start planning for the second stage of the Mars Stadium redevelopment.

“We’re investing in the future of Mars Stadium to bring more footy, more visitors and more jobs to Ballarat,” said Premier Daniel Andrews.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2018, 10:28 PM
^^^^^^

A re-elected Andrews Labor Government will deliver an $11.8 million funding boost for Ballarat’s Eureka Sports Precinct, with more than half of that dedicated to improving amenities at Mars Stadium.

The Government made the announcement today, ahead of the State Election on Saturday, November 24.

The game-day experience at Mars Stadium will be improved thanks to a $6.6 million injection which includes:

- Additional accessible seating in the Western and Eastern stands.
- Upgraded entrances with new ticket boxes.
- Covered areas to make it easier and more comfortable for fans to enter the ground.
- Permanent bathrooms to replace temporary toilets on match days.
- Improved standing areas.
- Permanent food and beverage areas.

Thank you Mr Re-Elected Premier for the $11,800,000 being wisely invested into making our club more profitable. Cheques to please go through Mr. A. Bains.

Ghost Dog
30-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Heated seats please.

bornadog
04-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Upgrades underway for Mars Stadium (https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=816&fbclid=IwAR08i_QOR3FEDJLfd7ejVOAfBPPqNYJQUM7eARxVvGbXGf5ajJ2 xqV-49pU)

https://www.austadiums.com/news/images/Mars-Stadium-2020.jpgBallarat's Mars Stadium (https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=348) has commenced a $6.6 million upgrade that will see various facilities improved including new entrances to the regional venue.

The upgrade works follow an $11.8 million pledge for the precinct from Labor leading into the 2018 state election, with $6.6 million dedicated to Mars Stadium and a further $5.2 million for the newly opened Ballarat Sports and Events Centre (https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=482).

Work at Mars Stadium includes the construction of two new permanent entrances, new food and beverage outlets, permanent toilets for the Southern end and upgraded unisex player change rooms.

The City of Ballarat opened the tender process earlier this year in May and construction is now underway, with work expected to completed by late 2021.

Since its major redevelopment in 2017, the Ballarat venue, formerly known as Eureka Stadium, has hosted five AFL premiership season matches, A-League matches as well as Super Rugby and Nitro Circus.

The upgrades will improve facilities at the stadium for hosting elite sports and events, with the City of Ballarat believing the existing amenities could have become a sticking point to retaining and attracting such events.

Work will also include improved disability access to seating in the western and eastern stands, while standing areas for spectators will be improved for viewing on the terrace.

The AFL-sanctioned capacity is 10,700 fans and in 2018, City of Ballarat explored development options to expand AFL match capacity to at least 15,000 fans, according to the project tender outlines.

The state government has confirmed Victoria's major stadia strategy recognises Mars Stadium's importance and value as a second-tier venue "to support the growth of emerging sports, promote sport to regional areas and support scheduling conflicts in Victoria's busy sports and events calendar".

Meanwhile, planned stage two upgrades to the Ballarat Sports and Events Centre include permanent three-on-three basketball courts, a strength and conditioning gym and a new skin for the original build.

Grantysghost
04-09-2020, 06:06 PM
I think we are onto a winner there. Regional Victoria just got a whole lot more attractive for people.

comrade
04-09-2020, 08:48 PM
I think we are onto a winner there. Regional Victoria just got a whole lot more attractive for people.

As a Ballarat resident, I fear the influx we're going to cop in the next 12-18 months.

Grantysghost
04-09-2020, 08:55 PM
As a Ballarat resident, I fear the influx we're going to cop in the next 12-18 months.

You might be right. Plus there's the new govhub being built on Armstrong st. so you'll likely get an influx of state government workers. Great South American restaurant there :cool:

comrade
04-09-2020, 08:57 PM
You might be right. Plus there's the new govhub being built on Armstrong st. so you'll likely get an influx of state government workers. Great South American restaurant there :cool:

Which one?

Grantysghost
04-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Which one?

Pancho I think...? Very good.

comrade
04-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Pancho I think...? Very good.

Same restaurateur owns Pancho and Meigas across the road from it in Armstrong St. Both are incredible.

I go to Meigas each year for my birthday.

LostDoggy
09-11-2020, 09:24 PM
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eureka-stadium-mars-stadium.1169852/page-23#lg=_xfUid-1-1604912047&slide=0https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eureka-stadium-mars-stadium.1169852/page-23#lg=_xfUid-1-1604912047&slide=0https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/34dXacDR8RguBkyLHxYXLhN/255e5d9f-7b2a-465e-9f92-8d3558c9c856.jpg/r0_0_3899_2190_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The latest works will see new covered entrances with permanent ticketing check-in and security points at Gates 1 and 2 (top left and top right of the stadium above respectively). New stair ways are being built to feed spectators directly onto the hill from Gate 2. New permanent toilet blocks are replacing those dreaded portaloos to at the Southern end of the Stadium (top right of shot). I'm not sure how much of the grassed portion of the hill we are losing to the new concrete terracing, but the concrete should make standing less wet and more comfortable. Not sure if they are expanding the hill in some way or if there are to be semi-permanent awnings going over parts of it. But the changes being made at the ground are about addressing the niggly shortcomings and finer points that could not be completed within the first stage budget or construction time constraints back in 2017. So expect better permanent canteens, improved standing terrace, quicker and more comfortable checking in facilities and permanent toilets.

We shouldn't expect any announcements on new stand construction at Mars Stadium until at least 2022 (at my guess) because by then GMHBA Stadium's new 14,000 seat stand will be completed and the Andrews Government will enter their 2022 State election mode. Around that time, the Club will have likely re-negotiated their terms for staying at Ballarat until 2028 agreeing to play two games per-year and an AFLW game per-season. The Club will no doubt clearly signal their desire for seating capacity to be increased as part of the conditions for extending their contract.

My guess is that by 2025, Mars Stadium will have about 10,000 seats concentrated mainly around the Western and Southern (Scoreboard end) boundaries, the Eastern Stand (near Gate 1) will likely be extended rearward by 12-15 rows, and the hill will remain half concreted and half grassed.

josie
09-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Having sat in stadium area, bottom right under big roof, gotta say it is the best overall view of any footy ground I’ve been too. Close to action yet could see everything. (I have also sat with cheer squad and found the cold conditions much more inhospitable when it is rainy and cold there).

jeemak
10-11-2020, 01:08 AM
Government funding for election benefits.......Sedat's response (which is completely rational, I'm just wanting to lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

LostDoggy
10-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Government funding for election benefits is how stadiums get built. Rockhamption is crazilly about to get two separate 10,000 capacity rugby stadiums (one funded by the Qld State ALP government, the other by the Federal Liberal government) as promises from the recent Qld State election. It's how Townsville secured $250 million for its 25,000 capacity rugby stadium. Bendigo got a 4000 seat basketball arena, Ballarat its new 3000 capacity Sports and Events Centre and Regional Soccer facility.

In Victoria our stadium developments are now linked to the State Government's "Major Stadia Strategy Plan" released in 2018 where they outlined visions and priorities for designated stadiums including Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium. The plans all exist but their announcements are ALL linked to political timing (Bang for Buck election announcements). VUWO will recieve priority to fund a permanent video scoreboard, TV broadcast lighting and upgrades to player facilities to make it an AFLW hub.

In early 2018 Mars Sadium underwent a $500,000 state governent funded study by Price Waterhouse Cooper (PWC) to determine the priority, scale and most importantly the timing of future development works. The report was submitted to the Ballarat Council in August 2018 and they submitted it's recommendations back to State Government just before the last State election. In Sept 2018 the Premier announced a modest $6.6 million spend to address the quick fixes identified as significant shortcomings at Mars Stadium by 2021. The big items also outlined in the PWC report included a doubling of seating and a major boost to the lighting. The estimated costs being $17.5 mil and $4 mil respectively. One can almost see Dan Andrews standing at Mars Stadium in August 2022 with Peter Gordon, the Member for Wendouree and Ballarat Mayor at his side touting the recent $6.6 mil upgrades, the re-signing of the WBFC out to 2028 and committing to the next round of $22 mil upgrades after the Nov 22 Election.

Of course increasing capacity by 50-60% is the easy bit. But now where are the additional 5-6000 patrons going to park or how are they to be ferried from and to Ballarat Station (2.7 km away)? The PWC report probably recommended constructing an events day train platform across Creswick Road. Sounds easy enough, but this would need to include a nearby railway siding, signalling and works to build either a pedestrian crossing, subway under or footbridge over Creswick Road. Suddenly, we are talking at least another several mil.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Government funding for election benefits is how stadiums get built.Rockhamption is crazilly about to get two separate 10,000 capacity rugby stadiums (one funded by the Qld State ALP government, the other by the Federal Liberal government) as promises from the recent Qld State election. It's how Townsville secured $250 million for its 25,000 capacity rugby stadium.

In Victoria our stadium developments are linked to the State Government's "Major Stadia Strategy Plan" released in 2018 where they outlined visions and priorities for designated stadiums including Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium. VUWO will recieve priority to fund a permanent video scoreboard, TV broadcast lighting and upgrades to player facilities to make it an AFLW hub. In early 2018 Mars Sadium underwent a $500,000 study by Price Waterhouse Cooper (PWC) to determine the priority, scaleand timing of future developent works. The report was submitted to the Ballarat Council in August 2018 and they submitted it's recommendations to State Government just before the last State election. In Sept 2018 the Premier announced a modest $6.6 million spend to address the quick fixes identified as significant shortcomings at Mars Stadium by 2021. The big items also outled in the PWC report included a doubling of seating and a major boost to the lighting. The estimated costs being $17.5 mil and $4 mil respectively.

Of course increasing capacity by 50-60% is the easy bit. But now where are the additional 5-6000 patrons going to park or how are they to be ferried from and to Ballarat Station (2.7 km away)? The PWC report probably recommended constructing an events day train platform across Creswick Road. Sounds easy enough, but this would need to include a nearby railway siding, signalling and works to build either a pedestrian crossing, subway under or footbridge over Creswick Road. Suddenly, we are talking at least another several mil.

I just hope we get our share for Whitten Oval in this coming budget.

LostDoggy
10-11-2020, 12:09 PM
I reckon the next big spend at Whitten will be for the new lights. Likely in my estimation to be very very similar to the new ones at Frankstons Skybus Oval.

https://reessportslighting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Frankston-AFL-Field-lighting.jpg

http://gamefaceon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/P7280213-2-1024x768.jpg

bornadog
10-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Yes, the lights need to be upgraded for TV quality, especially for AFLW games.

I know the club has put forward a proposal to the State Government for funding to redevelop the ground. One of the priorities is the training centre. The club wants to extend the centre so that it is longer and able to give the boys goal kicking practise indoors and better game simulation.

Other measures are to realign the playing surface,plus develop the ground on the parcel of land gifted at the railway end.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/11/30/a297abdc-df0b-4309-b1e9-bd8efed61ae5/TnaTaSet.jpg?width=952&height=592

LostDoggy
10-11-2020, 09:05 PM
Having sat in stadium area, bottom right under big roof, gotta say it is the best overall view of any footy ground I’ve been too. Close to action yet could see everything. (I have also sat with cheer squad and found the cold conditions much more inhospitable when it is rainy and cold there).
Where the cheer squad are normally located is in the 8-row Eastern Stand. One of the future building options is to remove the existing roof, remove the back walls and extend the stand rearward with a new cantilevered roof so that it mirrors the Eureka Stand. The steel uprights on the existing Eastern and Northern Stand roof are exactly the same steel size and type that supports the first nine rows on the Eureka Stand. That's no accident, the architects (Peddle Thorp) designed it so that they could be cut down and have the supports for the new additional concrete rows welded or bolted straight on. Nicholson Constructions (the Stage 1 builders) also did a lot of preparatory work with drainage, electrical services and foundations in order to allow for a quicker and affordable future build.

Nicholson's are among the best and currently have contracts to build the new gateways, canteens, toilets and to manage the upgrade of the main hill. They at least know where every drain, conduit, nut and bolt is in the stadium. They'll do a great job.

The Adelaide Connection
10-11-2020, 11:21 PM
Yes, the lights need to be upgraded for TV quality, especially for AFLW games.

I know the club has put forward a proposal to the State Government for funding to redevelop the ground. One of the priorities is the training centre. The club wants to extend the centre so that it is longer and able to give the boys goal kicking practise indoors and better game simulation.

Other measures are to realign the playing surface,plus develop the ground on the parcel of land gifted at the railway end.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2019/11/30/a297abdc-df0b-4309-b1e9-bd8efed61ae5/TnaTaSet.jpg?width=952&height=592

Wouldn't it be great if the ground got to this point and the AFL ticked it off for one match a year (likely against low pulling opposition such as GC/GWS/Freo.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-11-2020, 11:48 PM
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eureka-stadium-mars-stadium.1169852/page-23#lg=_xfUid-1-1604912047&slide=0https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/eureka-stadium-mars-stadium.1169852/page-23#lg=_xfUid-1-1604912047&slide=0https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/34dXacDR8RguBkyLHxYXLhN/255e5d9f-7b2a-465e-9f92-8d3558c9c856.jpg/r0_0_3899_2190_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The latest works will see new covered entrances with permanent ticketing check-in and security points at Gates 1 and 2 (top left and top right of the stadium above respectively). New stair ways are being built to feed spectators directly onto the hill from Gate 2. New permanent toilet blocks are replacing those dreaded portaloos to at the Southern end of the Stadium (top right of shot). I'm not sure how much of the grassed portion of the hill we are losing to the new concrete terracing, but the concrete should make standing less wet and more comfortable. Not sure if they are expanding the hill in some way or if there are to be semi-permanent awnings going over parts of it. But the changes being made at the ground are about addressing the niggly shortcomings and finer points that could not be completed within the first stage budget or construction time constraints back in 2017. So expect better permanent canteens, improved standing terrace, quicker and more comfortable checking in facilities and permanent toilets.

We shouldn't expect any announcements on new stand construction at Mars Stadium until at least 2022 (at my guess) because by then GMHBA Stadium's new 14,000 seat stand will be completed and the Andrews Government will enter their 2022 State election mode. Around that time, the Club will have likely re-negotiated their terms for staying at Ballarat until 2028 agreeing to play two games per-year and an AFLW game per-season. The Club will no doubt clearly signal their desire for seating capacity to be increased as part of the conditions for extending their contract.

My guess is that by 2025, Mars Stadium will have about 10,000 seats concentrated mainly around the Western and Southern (Scoreboard end) boundaries, the Eastern Stand (near Gate 1) will likely be extended rearward by 12-15 rows, and the hill will remain half concreted and half grassed.

Love standing on the grassed area. More traditional so would hate to lose it to more concrete.

LostDoggy
11-11-2020, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't it be great if the ground got to this point and the AFL ticked it off for one match a year (likely against low pulling opposition such as GC/GWS/Freo. It'd be fun perhaps for the heritage round. Although with an 18,000 capacity the demand would massively outstrip supply and the club would have to levy members to book a spot for the game. :(

LostDoggy
11-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Yeah I'm visualising that it will eventually be done similarly to Adelaide Oval's scoreboard hill. I'd say that it will likely have several rows of seating with grass behind that.

Ghost Dog
19-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Funny, Mitch and Lachie go to Ballarat to do some pottery. (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/836534/visit-ballarat-mitch-and-lachie-go-pottery-making?videoId=836534&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1605564100001)
That's my cousin Bridgette

Vred
07-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Looks like we're gonna be re-signing onto the Ballarat deal, might be going bigger as well.

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/7198533/western-bulldogs-looking-to-recommit-to-playing-in-ballarat/?cs=62&fbclid=IwAR3H1ExCMATwYwi7aUm6diRNXER7jXaE_ivSCUQZ5Ty-8T_o9lQtve8Mhr8

jeemak
07-04-2021, 03:06 PM
I'm not a subscriber to The Courier and am unlikely to be.........are you able to tell us the gist of the story?

Axe Man
12-10-2022, 12:59 PM
Ballarat‘s Eureka Stadium set for $150m upgrade ahead of 2026 Commonwealth Games (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sport/ballarats-eureka-stadium-set-for-150m-upgrade-ahead-of-2026-commonwealth-games/news-story/b9395f2281c6a1a58dc918bc545115d6)

Ballarat has been granted a massive stadium upgrade and announced as the venue for the marathon for the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium will be expanded with a $150m injection of State Government funding.

The upgrade will increase the number of permanent seats at the AFL venue by 5,000 on top of its current capacity of 11,000.

For the 2026 Commonwealth Games, a new athletics track will be built on the existing football field while another 18,000 temporary seats will be added for the international event.

It should make the capacity more than 30,000 for the Games.

The stadium upgrade funding will benefit a host of other sports for the long-term future.

The AFL and the A-League host games at the stadium each year with the venue also the home of the Greater Western Victoria Rebels in the NAB League and the North Ballarat Football and Cricket Clubs.

It has also hosted WBBL games and pre-season NRL and Superleague Rugby matches.

“We're investing in Eureka Stadium to ensure it’s a world-class venue not just for Victoria 2026 but for decades to come,” state Minister Commonwealth Games Delivery Jacinta Allan said.

Ballarat, as the home of acclaimed marathon runner Steve Moneghetti, has also been announced as the host venue for the marathon at the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

Topdog
12-10-2022, 01:38 PM
I personally liked the standing / sitting on the grass but good this should be a nice upgrade.