PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Coaching Panel Resources: Bomber Thompson??

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 12:23 AM
I've got to say, I'm enjoying this incarnation of Bomber Thompson in the media far more than the Geelong version. There are two schools of thought that appear most obvious to me, the first being Bomber gets used to running things again as a head coach and when shafted at years end happily retires. The second being he wants to stay involved in some aspect of the operational AFL industry.

The man love between Macca and Bomber is so clearly obvious. That the two could work together somehow in some capacity wouldn't be a big stretch of imagination. Once the cult kick him out, is there a value for money proposition for the club as an assistant coach, or something a little different as a coaching panel 'mentor' type position for both Macca but also our coaching panel next year which is getting younger with Maple only in his second season and Gia in his first year. The latter gents, as junior type coaches might hope to advance themselves a little better, if not quicker. Tactically, his understanding of contemporary sides and players is a resource for at least a few seasons in discussing matters.

This conversation isn't about Macca.

It's not a reflection on anything else except thinking through finding AFL industry resources that can help develop our people, namely a coaching panel that next year could benefit (or not) potentially from the understanding and experience of Bomber. Especially as a mentor or resource to Maple & Gia who will have one season coaching experience between them. We need to provide these 2 coaches (and the entire panel, most ex-Bomber Thompson pupils) the tools to succeed and the person who can be embraced into a our culture and understand exactly what were doing in partly replicating the Geelong model. The actual architect of the Geelong model could be unemployed next year, and is best mates with Macca, just asking??

Not. About. Macca! :)

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
I'd love to see Thompson in that sort of role with us next year but I can't see it happening.

I know the thread isn't a bout Macca but I think he wants this team to be his own work. His deas, his implementation, his brushstrokes, his imprint.

But on the other hand it would be great endoorsement to have someone of Thompson's stature wanting to be involved in your program.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I remember Macca saying last year he would often catch up with Bomber and bounce ideas off him and just discuss footy in general. If he was at the dogs in some capacity, it would be a real bonus to us.

Mofra
08-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Who is our opposition tactics guy - is it Monty?

I really have no idea whether a big name will be better than a small name if it's purely an opposition analysis/gameday tactics role.

1eyedog
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I would love to have Bomber in a 'post-match interview guy' role. He'd also be great at organising salad rolls for everyone in the coaches box. I think we have work for him.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 11:05 AM

I really have no idea whether a big name will be better than a small name if it's purely an opposition analysis/gameday tactics role.

I tend to agree, we have a limited budget so we have to target the right resources at the right price. Macca on 360 last year mentioned they talk if not every week, every second week as discuss everything footy, including our players with each other. I think Maple, Gia and even Cordy, and all the development coaches and even our VFL players with a coaching/development role can benefit. We know he will fit in with the culture and strategy well.

azabob
08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I'd be very happy to have Thomspon on board. Could he do the Rodney Eade type role at Collingwood? Is that how posters see him fitting in?

I do wonder if we have begun the conversation? There is no way Bomber can be at Essendon other than senior coach next year.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
I'd be very happy to have Thomspon on board. Could he do the Rodney Eade type role at Collingwood? Is that how posters see him fitting in?

I do wonder if we have begun the conversation? There is no way Bomber can be at Essendon other than senior coach next year.

The cult will kick him out. I can't imagine Hird letting him stay, I think Hird will see him like a mistress to his marriage, or a snake to my mongoose, or a mongoose to my snake.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Yes Monty

F'scary
08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Gia, not Thomson

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Gia, not Thomson

It's not a case of one or the other. It's a philosophical idea about having mentor or resource for junior coaches and whether that person would, should or could be Bomber.

F'scary
08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
It's not a case of one or the other. It's a philosophical idea about having mentor or resource for junior coaches and whether that person would, should or could be Bomber.

He is too big a name for my liking. Too much like the second coming and all for an assistant coach or mentor assistant coach or game day tactician assistant coach.

boydogs
08-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Not. About. Macca! :)

Why not? If we are looking at Bomber Thompson, it would either be to help Macca, in which case the first question is does Macca want & need the help, or it would be to replace Macca, where we would ask whether Thompson is a better option than Macca

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Why not? If we are looking at Bomber Thompson, it would either be to help Macca, in which case the first question is does Macca want & need the help, or it would be to replace Macca, where we would ask whether Thompson is a better option than Macca

Not too sure anyone has suggested Macca should be replaced after being re-signed not long ago. Not too sure how one could mount that argument either. Our coaching panel is relatively inexperienced and Bomber's philosophies are very similar to the bulk of the panel. I guess you can ask the second question, but it's a detour from where I was hoping the dialogue would head. But that's an open forum! :)

lemmon
08-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Would love to add Bomber, question I have is whether a desire to give Macca a hand would be enough to get him across the line. My take on it was the only reason he came back to football with Essendon was due to his love and desire to give back to the club, the same reason he took on the head gig. I saw an interview with him somewhere where he did say he felt obliged to take on the head gig. I think he loves the Bombers more than he loves football

boydogs
08-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Not too sure anyone has suggested Macca should be replaced after being re-signed not long ago. Not too sure how one could mount that argument either. Our coaching panel is relatively inexperienced and Bomber's philosophies are very similar to the bulk of the panel. I guess you can ask the second question, but it's a detour from where I was hoping the dialogue would head. But that's an open forum! :)

What about the first question? Why can't we can discuss what Macca wants or needs when considering whether to bring Bomber Thompson in to help him?

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Yes Monty

Are you sure? It was part of his duties last year but I think he passed it on when he was appointed senior assistant earlier in the year.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2014, 11:35 PM
What about the first question? Why can't we can discuss what Macca wants or needs when considering whether to bring Bomber Thompson in to help him?

I'm not the moral or discussion police, I'm not saying we can't. I'm suggesting the slant of OP was about a resource to the entire coaching panel as a whole, and not a narrow view of Macca, or a re-hash of any old Macca bashing threads.

But I'm more than happy to answer your first question, to my guess. Last year Macca said on 360 he talks to Bomber virtually every week still, specifically discussing our players and whether they can make the grade. The respect between the two is so obvious and they sing from the same hyme book. As for what Macca 'wants or needs', you'd need to ask him. But I reiterate my comments have been looking at Bomber in the perspective of the wider panel, which by any objective measure is junior and I'm guessing would enjoy or benefit from a two time premiership coach to assist them. Any assistance to Macca if he wants or needs it would be a variable to be agreed between the two if they and the club wanted to formalise any arrangement.

boydogs
08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm not the moral or discussion police, I'm not saying we can't. I'm suggesting the slant of OP was about a resource to the entire coaching panel as a whole, and not a narrow view of Macca, or a re-hash of any old Macca bashing threads.

But I'm more than happy to answer your first question, to my guess. Last year Macca said on 360 he talks to Bomber virtually every week still, specifically discussing our players and whether they can make the grade. The respect between the two is so obvious and they sing from the same hyme book. As for what Macca 'wants or needs', you'd need to ask him. But I reiterate my comments have been looking at Bomber in the perspective of the wider panel, which by any objective measure is junior and I'm guessing would enjoy or benefit from a two time premiership coach to assist them. Any assistance to Macca if he wants or needs it would be a variable to be agreed between the two if they and the club wanted to formalise any arrangement.

Well usually the assistants learn from the head coach, I think by definition if the assistants need Thompson then Macca needs Thompson to help the assistants

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 12:04 AM
Well usually the assistants learn from the head coach, I think by definition if the assistants need Thompson then Macca needs Thompson to help the assistants

That's absolutely one perspective. Another might be, to focus on the final part of your comment is that Maple, Gia, Cordy, Moons, Corey, Scarlo, Russell, Prismall etc on a equivalent full time accrual have less than 3 years full time AFL/VFL combined. If they're all looking to Macca for their professional development as coaches, then they're not going to get much time or Macca might get spread to thin. Perhaps if our inexperienced coaching panel had a person or mentor to assist them, sit down for hours when needed or help them develop their tactics or philosophies or player management or strategies then Macca would be more free to lead by example, than focus attention away from doing what he needs to do with players, training, welfare, planning etc. If Macca or even Monty gets any benefit, then that's a cherry. It's not about Thompson 'helping the assistants' as so much as helping to 'develope our inexperienced coaches'.

boydogs
09-04-2014, 02:15 AM
That's absolutely one perspective. Another might be, to focus on the final part of your comment is that Maple, Gia, Cordy, Moons, Corey, Scarlo, Russell, Prismall etc on a equivalent full time accrual have less than 3 years full time AFL/VFL combined. If they're all looking to Macca for their professional development as coaches, then they're not going to get much time or Macca might get spread to thin. Perhaps if our inexperienced coaching panel had a person or mentor to assist them, sit down for hours when needed or help them develop their tactics or philosophies or player management or strategies then Macca would be more free to lead by example, than focus attention away from doing what he needs to do with players, training, welfare, planning etc. If Macca or even Monty gets any benefit, then that's a cherry. It's not about Thompson 'helping the assistants' as so much as helping to 'develope our inexperienced coaches'.

You make a strong case that Macca needs help to develop our inexperienced assistant coaches, but the first thing I would do if considering bringing Thompson on board would be to go to Macca and ask him whether he wants him there. If he doesn't we're creating more problems than we're fixing. That's why I can't see how we can have this discussion without discussing what Macca wants and needs.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 12:58 PM
You make a strong case that Macca needs help to develop our inexperienced assistant coaches, but the first thing I would do if considering bringing Thompson on board would be to go to Macca and ask him whether he wants him there. If he doesn't we're creating more problems than we're fixing. That's why I can't see how we can have this discussion without discussing what Macca wants and needs.

I'm not too sure what I can say. I think most threads on WOOF are either philosophical, or require opinion, or some amount of guessing, or have some sort of basis in hypothetical questions, etc. Existentially, threads about the next weeks selections could be answered by saying what does Macca want or need for the following week with ins and outs, structures etc. I guess my only point would be that I want Macca to focus on most things over junior coach personal/professional development as that can be done by someone else. Maybe I don't understand, my apologies in advance.

ledge
09-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Wasn't Maple coaching VFL or TAC cup before ?

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 04:44 PM

I think he had a role back 7 or 8 years ago, Nth Ballarat maybe. Certainly nothing like what he's got on his plate now, same for father Cordy with the Falcons but further back again I think.

ledge
09-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't think Cordy is any relation to Ayce.
Sometimes it's a good thing you have inexperienced people , they don't have bad habits and you can teach them the way you want.
We have other coaches with a lot of experience in AFL football.
I think the club has gone with bringing coaches up with the players, they will know each other inside out in a couple of years and macca will be sitting back eating sangers in the box and the team runs itself, (familiar?)
But I would love to see Bomber at the club winning a flag with Macca, while Essendon look up at us and think what could have been :-)

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Brian on the VFL side of things, not Justin :)

FrediKanoute
09-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I think many agree that Macca has the overall plan right, but the game day execution needs some work. Bomber would be a welcome addition!

Greystache
09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't think Cordy is any relation to Ayce.

Someone better have words with Mrs Cordy then, because he claims to be his Dad.

w3design
10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Someone better have words with Mrs Cordy then, because he claims to be his Dad.

Tragic is correct. Brian C is Ayce's father, while Justin C is apparently not related [ well not closely anyway]. Both are part of the Doggies structure though.

bornadog
10-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Pretty sure TAC side at one stage