PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Office - Ayce Cordy

Bulldog Joe
08-04-2014, 06:29 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-04-08/coachs-office-ayce-cordy-rd3

Nice to see the club continue with this feature and also now be able to get some VFL detail included.

Good wrap on Ayce from Ashley Hansen.

bornadog
08-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Enjoyed that review, really like the positive assessment of Cordy's game. Going by the highlights, looks like he is really moving well.

Twodogs
08-04-2014, 07:21 PM
He had a great contest with that little fellow they had at full back. It was a bit like KT was back BAD.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Looks like he was always moving in that footage, which is something he hasn't done up until now. Even though the opposition player was half his size, it was good to see Cordy attacking the ball, following up his efforts and showing some purpose.

Hopefully he can do this against better and bigger opposition in the coming weeks.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Ayce was very good on Saturday, hands looked strong, as did his frame to be honest. He definately had the better of TC and I see on some other threads people wanting to bring Campbell back in. For mine Campbell looked unfit and clumsy.

Ayce seems a little less goofy now, which is a good thing, and i'd like to see him back if anything to give minnow a chop out with rucking duties.

Remi Moses
09-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Looks like he was always moving in that footage, which is something he hasn't done up until now. Even though the opposition player was half his size, it was good to see Cordy attacking the ball, following up his efforts and showing some purpose.

Hopefully he can do this against better and bigger opposition in the coming weeks.
That's what I gleaned as well. Ayce moved well ( admittingly against smaller opponent)

1eyedog
09-04-2014, 07:28 PM
We smashed them, had a zillion inside 50s and he was on a bloke half his size, he should have kicked 5 perhaps more if he really wanted to make a statement.

bornadog
09-04-2014, 07:40 PM
We smashed them, had a zillion inside 50s and he was on a bloke half his size, he should have kicked 5 perhaps more if he really wanted to make a statement.

Did he have the opportunity to kick 5 more?

Why can't we just praise Cordy for working his butt off over the summer to try and improve himself.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Why can't we just praise Cordy for working his butt off over the summer to try and improve himself.

Agree Bad. I was waiting for a negative quote ever since this thread was started.

ledge
09-04-2014, 07:56 PM
He did miss one he should have got but that was about his only blemish I saw.

Greystache
09-04-2014, 07:57 PM

He hit the post from about 20m out so could have had 6. He played very well, the test will be if he can do the same against a genuine key defender.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 10:04 PM
He also did everything but take a mark at the Geelong Rd end. He spilt it but recovered the ball and got the handball off to an easy goal. Yeh he could've kicked 7 or 8 but he was switching into the ruck as well he wasn't just sat in the 50 the whole game. For mine he looks to have made significant improvement, and isn't far off a senior recall.

LostDoggy
09-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Did he take an overhead mark?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Agree Bad. I was waiting for a negative quote ever since this thread was started.

And it didn't even come from me! :D

bornadog
09-04-2014, 11:15 PM

Did you watch the video and review by Hansen?

bulldogtragic
09-04-2014, 11:21 PM
I hope he does this for a month in the VFL. If continues to play this way, the way he should, and dominates then the confidence to keep busting the door down will hopefully build up to the point he should be happy, hungry, confident and so in form that he makes me issue a public apology. I think some kids need promotion, some need the confidence of a stretch of form. I think Ayce is the latter and I'm not quite ready to drink the coolaid just yet. But I have an open mind.

Twodogs
09-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Well said BT.

I also hope he gets a sustained run at VFL level and tears games apart.

Twodogs
09-04-2014, 11:25 PM

He was taking marks on the lead out in front of his eyes. Took some nice contested marks around the ground too.

jeemak
10-04-2014, 12:36 AM
He needs continuity in his performance across the ruck and forward.

It's a touch silly allocating a set time on it, say a month, because if he comes into the side after that time and he doesn't fire for whatever reason it almost creates a line through his name by default when that might not be the best thing for him and the club.

Player form is more nuanced than that, and requires flexibility from selection staff to make the most of it. Sure, there's some non-negotiable things associated with effort, style and attitude that can be a determining factor in whether a player should be selected but ultimately a lot of it is subjective.

If Ayce is putting in the effort etc., there's a gap in the team that needs filling and he's playing OK then he should get a run just like anyone else.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2014, 01:10 AM
But he got himself into good positions, kicked straight and chased hard.
Laid some strong tackles. Not sure what else some people expect at this stage for him.
Well done lad.

jeemak
10-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Suppose the only thing people want is for him to do it for a few weeks in a row.

Mofra
10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
But he got himself into good positions, kicked straight and chased hard.
Laid some strong tackles. Not sure what else some people expect at this stage for him.
Well done lad.
It was noticeable in that video - seems like something he is doing much better.
At AFL level he was constantly out-positioned by defenders. Actually having a pre-season and working on that deficiency alone will do wonders for his AFL prospects. Poor kid hasn't had much luck so far in his career.

w3design
10-04-2014, 12:27 PM
That is true Remi [ smaller opponent]. But when in the ruck is the only time he will ever meet a taller opponent, and at 204cm even then only rarely. In the past he at times tried to go body to body with stronger opposition, and because of his height to weight/strength ratio, he tended to get pushed off balance, or out of position.
Someone now appears to having him play to his own natural strengths, using his pace and agility first, and only trying to outmuscle smaller and weaker opposition.
This makes him a lot more difficult customer for opposing backmen, and is a lot smarter way for him to play.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Of course but it just seems to me that our expectations of him have dropped that low that when he kicks five goals against a district league player there are calls to rush him into the team. I won't be disappointed if he gets a gig - I like him and I was at the game and he took some good marks. The issue I have with Cordy is that the gap between a VFL key back and an AFL one is a huge step up and he struggles to take it to the next level against reasonable opposition. He very well may not get near it again against a half-decent key back and we'll be lambasting his output again. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I have hoped for so long.

It's not negative. I thought the opposition was ordinary in the VFL match and he did what was expected of him - nothing more really. We've given up a lot to get him and we've been very patient for a long period of time, the least he can do is kick 5 goals in a VFL match when he is expected to.

Should he play this weekend on the back of his performance? One thing I am pretty sure of is that even though Stringer is down on form what I have seen of him tells me that he is going to be a class footballer and while they are vastly different players if it's a decision between Stringer and Cordy I'd keep playing Stringer until Cordy kicks a few more bags in the VFL.

bornadog
10-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Should he play this weekend on the back of his performance? One thing I am pretty sure of is that even though Stringer is down on form what I have seen of him tells me that he is going to be a class footballer and while they are vastly different players if it's a decision between Stringer and Cordy I'd keep playing Stringer until Cordy kicks a few more bags in the VFL.

I agree its too early to promote him based on last weeks performance against a weak opposition. I would keep Stringer in for the rest of the season, or at least the majority.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I agree its too early to promote him based on last weeks performance against a weak opposition. I would keep Stringer in for the rest of the season, or at least the majority.

I would keep Stringer in for another month to see if he can turn his form around. If Ayce kicks a few goals or competes well and does what the MC want over that period then he should be promoted - at the expense of Stringer if need be. I don't think Stringer will last the whole year anyway, Macrae either for that matter. They will both need weeks off.

Mofra
10-04-2014, 01:41 PM
No he shouldn't play yet, but it's an unfair comparison to Stringer.

Stringer was a pick 5 who would have been higher if not for horrific injury pre-draft, Ayce went later on the back of potential more than performance, and they've both completed a single proper pre-season at the club with Stringer getting the third or forth defender at AFL level, Ayce normally the second.

No doubt Stringer is a mile ahead of Ayce on output, but he was already near AFL build when he came into the system while Ayce was the only player on our list who would have been jealous of Grant's guns.

He has a mile to go, but if he keeps imporving as a 204cm kid who could potentially play the R2 role in future - I'm happy, simply because I think Campbell will make the grade at AFL level but as an R1.

1eyedog
10-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Stringer was a pick 5 who would have been higher if not for horrific injury pre-draft, Ayce went later on the back of potential more than performance, and they've both completed a single proper pre-season at the club with Stringer getting the third or forth defender at AFL level, Ayce normally the second.

No doubt Stringer is a mile ahead of Ayce on output, but he was already near AFL build when he came into the system while Ayce was the only player on our list who would have been jealous of Grant's guns.

He has a mile to go, but if he keeps imporving as a 204cm kid who could potentially play the R2 role in future - I'm happy, simply because I think Campbell will make the grade at AFL level but as an R1.

Yes you're right about physical development but it should be noted that Alan McConnell from the AIS stated that Cordy was as good as any player in the 2008 National draft and St.Kilda had a crack at him at 13. Others refused to select him earlier because they knew where he was going. McConnell stated that he was definitely top 10.

Greystache
10-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Cordy's last 3 preseasons have been uninterrupted. He hasn't had a serious injury since 2010.

Bulldog Joe
10-04-2014, 02:04 PM
There seems a strong view that Ayce needs to do it consistently, but surely he is a better option for ruck relief than Jones.

Not suggesting that Jones shouldn't be picked ahead of him, but if were to have one of the taller forwards (Jones, Stringer, Crameri) unavailable, then Ayce would seem the best option to come in.