PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Dog wants to play on for five more years

Axe Man
11-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Great news. Will be great to have Dale around for our next crack at the pointy end of the ladder!

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-11/dog-wants-at-least-five-more)

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris insists there is plenty good footy left in him, revealing he's aiming to play for at least another five years.

The 31-year-old defender has returned to his brilliant best so far in 2014, restricting the influence of superstar forwards Jack Riewoldt and Josh Kennedy in the first three rounds of the year.

And there have been no lingering effects of a badly broken leg he sustained late in 2011.

"The body feels great, better than this time last year," Morris said.

"I feel like I've got plenty of good footy left in me, how much that is I don't know but I'm hoping five, six, seven years … you never know.

"But at my age you need to take it one year at a time."

And his secret for feeling so fresh is simple.

"I hang around all the young guys and I try to keep young by letting them rub off on me,” Morris said.

Morris will need every bit of that youthfulness on Saturday afternoon when he lines up against GWS young guns Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton.

"They are a very, very talented team,” Morris said of the Giants.

“They have a very potent forward line and their midfield has a heap of talent too."

The task of containing the twin towers has been made harder in the absence of Jordan Roughead, who has a serious shoulder injury, but Morris has faith in Tom Williams and Tom Young to cover his absence.

"The last few teams we've come against have had a real tall forward line and we've coped pretty well, so we're expecting the same,” he said

"There's guys there ready to go, which is great, and that puts pressure on spots and good competition around the club.”

An unrestricted free agent at season's end, Morris has no intention of finishing his career anywhere but the Whitten Oval.

"The Dogs gave me a chance to play AFL footy and everything they've done for me and my family over the years has been unbelievable," Morris said.

“I would love to stay with the Doggies for my whole career and that's the plan, so hopefully it stays that way."

bornadog
11-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Love to have Dale for 5 more years, but reality is it won't happen. When athletes reach a certain age, its all down hill from there.

Mantis
11-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Love to have Dale for 5 more years, but reality is it won't happen. When athletes reach a certain age, its all down hill from there.

Whilst this is generally the norm how do you explain the high level of output from the likes of Brent Harvey & Dustin Fletcher?

Axe Man
11-04-2014, 02:29 PM

There's always exceptions to the rule: Dustin Fletcher, Brent Harvey, etc. Of course the odds are against him but barring serious injury he can go for a another 2 or 3 years at least I would have thought.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Cool, Dale for another 5 years. Maybe if he turns swing-man he can be a super sub to ice matches at either end of games come 2017.

LostDoggy
11-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Nooooooooooooo!

As soon as there is a headline like that, they're goners. Up yours Mr. Davidson.

The bulldog tragician
11-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Dale did start AFL quite late..I guess it's not impossible that his body is younger than the norm. I hate the idea of him ever retiring so I want to believe it! He's having a good year so far...

FrediKanoute
11-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Take it one week, one season at a time and keep reviewing. He has a couple of things on his side namely he plays a single position, which is largely a one way position and hence you would think the stress on his body is not the same as asay a midfielder who get s hit from all angles or a forward who has to turn to goal. He also has been pretty lucky with injuries (2011 aside) so I could see him getting a few more years out of his body, 5 may be pushing it though.

Remi Moses
12-04-2014, 12:22 AM
What a beauty Dale is. Although 5 years is a stretch, on current form another two looks likely.
In saying that players can fall off the cliff quickly when over 30.

ratsmac
12-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Good bloke that Dale Morris

comrade
12-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Only 5? Dale can stay as long as he wants, IMO.

LostDoggy
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Only 5? Dale can stay as long as he wants, IMO.
This.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2014, 10:14 AM
What a great player and team mate Dale is. Would be great to see him play on forever, some of his efforts last week were huge.

We're very lucky to have seen him play and will be in the future too, a true inspiration.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Bastard journos!

Bulldog4life
13-04-2014, 12:55 PM
According to Mark Stevens Dale is going to be out for long time. Going for scans today. Could be a broken leg. Not sure.

comrade
13-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Ffs!

ratsmac
13-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Ffs!

You can say that again.

bornadog
13-04-2014, 03:12 PM
According to Mark Stevens Dale is going to be out for long time. Going for scans today. Could be a broken leg. Not sure.

Lets hope its just precautionary stuff, because last night he said he was kicked in the leg and should be ok for next week. Maybe he has cracked the bone and will be out for awhile.

azabob
13-04-2014, 03:25 PM
One door shuts another one opens. One of Talia, Redpath or Austin now have the opportunity to show us all they are ready to take the next step. It is even another opportunity for Williams, Wood and Young to show they are able to lead the backline without our best two defenders.

bornadog
13-04-2014, 04:46 PM
INJURY UPDATE: Good news for Dale Morris, scans have cleared him of any major damage to his left ankle.

1eyedog
13-04-2014, 04:53 PM
INJURY UPDATE: Good news for Dale Morris, scans have cleared him of any major damage to his left ankle.

What was Mark Stevens smoking last night? What's the verdict on the ankle BAD? Depends if it blows up or not I guess.

bornadog
13-04-2014, 04:55 PM
What was Mark Stevens smoking last night? What's the verdict on the ankle BAD? How many weeks?

Sprained ankle to be monitored during the week.

Scans have cleared defender Dale Morris of any major damage to his left ankle after receiving a knock in the 27 point win against the Giants yesterday.

Morris collided with Giants' Will Hoskin-Elliot in the first quarter and was subsequently subbed off.

Morris did however sustain a sprain to his ankle and will be monitored closely over the coming week.

1eyedog
13-04-2014, 04:59 PM
ok ta

Bulldog4life
13-04-2014, 05:06 PM
What was Mark Stevens smoking last night? What's the verdict on the ankle BAD? Depends if it blows up or not I guess.

Yes bad reporting but great result.:)

ratsmac
13-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Phew, thank God. Now let's hope he doesn't get suspended for the trip.