PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 4

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 01:00 PM
This is the round 1 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against GWS Giants is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Rance Fan
12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Bankers
Higgins - please stay injury free!
Wood - stepping up!
Jones/Crameri - 3 and 4 goals Ill take that each week

Anchors
Minson - seemed to lower colors today
Stringer - needs a break
Cooney - only fair today I thought

GVGjr
12-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Bankers:
Williams was very solid and reliable today. Lets hope he can maintain it.
Higgins was exciting and very efficient user of the footy.
Picken is back to his best.

Anchors:
Most of us appreciate that Stringer is young and his form will fluctuate but he does need a spell.
The umpires didn't have a good night with some glaring misses.
Our first half display. We can play a lot better than that

F'scary
12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Bankers: all the blokes I've shit-bagged for the past 3 weeks. Particularly Wallis for a great job on Ward. However... (now read on)...

Anchors: 1) this week I cannot be persuaded by anyone that Stringer should not be dropped.
2) Jong needs more experience in the two's.
3) Hunter needs to be brought back to reality with a game or two in the seconds as well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Bankers

Easton Wood. Here's hoping he can stay injury free and get the benefit of continuity. He was one of the few, who early on, looked to break lines and take the game on.

Our undersized & undermanned defense Young, Wood, Williams vs 3 bigger genuine key forwards in Patton, Cameron & Tomlinson. During the 3rd it looked as if the Patton/Cameron connection was going to get on top. However Wood, Williams & Young reigned their influence in, and with Young's goal late, actually started to look like they could turn the tables for us. A great effort with Moz going down early.

Leaders, leading from the front. Griffen -under obvious duress, decided enough was enough and he really led in that last Qtr, as did Higgins, putting his body on the line on a number of occasions, Boyd kept on chugging, and apart from ignoring open players late in the game to blaze away from 45metres out, really got us going on a number of occasions.

Anchors
Stevens - when challenged by an opponent he will seek out the nearest teammate (even if it's only 30cm's away) and handball without regard to the pressure he is putting them under.
Hunter- like Stringer has loads of footy ability, and also like Stringer needs to concentrate on doing things right and executing when required. At least Hunter works to get into the right position to get the ball, unlike Stringer.
Cooney- for the first 3 Qtrs he was almost invisible, apart from a couple of cameo's. Then in the last he decided to work harder. Is he injured or is his knee flaring up again. If so then I rescind this Anchor and apologise.

The bulldog tragician
12-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Bankers;
Jones strong last qtr and all of a sudden he's nailing the goals that must be kicked
Wood & HIggins - two blokes who've had their share of heartbreak showed what they can do
Boyd - I get frustrated with him at times but he was superb

Anchors
Woeful sub standard surface
Moronic commentators: how hard is it to get names right!
Morris injury: please please please be ok.

Doc26
12-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Bankers
Macrae's composure and ball use. How good it is to have someone who accumulates and knows how to use the thing.
Our back line for standing up without Rough and Moz to lead the way
Wallis for nullifying Ward
Although not on his terms today, Libba for fighting on through some tough tagging and for flying the flag on that thug Townsend

Anchors
Same theme. Foxtel commentary team. Just so hard to listen to.
The Beach Patrol for some awful clangers such as with Toby Greene's freebie right in front
Townsend for his post tackle shove on an already distressed Griff.

Twodogs
12-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Bankers

Macrae. Almost 30 touches and hardly a bad one

The defence-players keep going down and others stand tall and take their place

Higgins-played Gus best game in several years for the second time in two weeks.

Bankers

Stringer. Standing in front of your opponent looking at the ball instead of 5 metres behind him looking at something else.

Dale Morris. Another injury.

LostDoggy
12-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Bankers
Wood-Attacked the ball
Higgins-tough game
Boyd-4 qtr performance
Griff is coming!!!

Anchors- Dale injured
Fox footy lack of information re: Morris injury
Sandy beach oval

bornadog
13-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Bankers

* Seniors players like Boyd, Higgins, Murphy really stood up today
* Williams looked a little lost on Patton early, but once switched to the dangerous Cameron, shut hum right out.
* Backline, Wood, Picken, Young, Wiliams, Murphy, Higgins

Anchors

* The state of the ground, what a joke.
* Stringer - trying to pay from behind. Even Gerard picked that up.
* Dwayne- Foxtel please get rid of him.

always right
13-04-2014, 12:36 AM
B:
Williams, Wood, Picken and Young....outstanding defensive effort under duress
Jones really standing up for us
Boyd....losing the captaincy appears to have freed him up

A:
Minson.....unfortunately a shadow of the player he was last year...at the moment.
Umpiring.....incompetent today
Stringer.....try playing in front just once....okay?

SlimPickens
13-04-2014, 01:03 AM
Bankers:
Stevens, Boyd, Libbas last qtr. Outstanding when the game needed to be won.

Williams- Was fantastic to see him playing some very good footy.

Jones/Crameri- Kick goals when we really needed them.

Anchors
Stringer- needs a spell.
Commentators- Can believe those blokes get paid, just appalling.
The non free kick to Higgins being tunneled. Dangerous.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 03:26 AM
Bankers

Easton Wood. Here's hoping he can stay injury free and get the benefit of continuity. He was one of the few, who early on, looked to break lines and take the game on.

Our undersized & undermanned defense Young, Wood, Williams vs 3 bigger genuine key forwards in Patton, Cameron & Tomlinson. During the 3rd it looked as if the Patton/Cameron connection was going to get on top. However Wood, Williams & Young reigned their influence in, and with Young's goal late, actually started to look like they could turn the tables for us. A great effort with Moz going down early.

Leaders, leading from the front. Griffen -under obvious duress, decided enough was enough and he really led in that last Qtr, as did Higgins, putting his body on the line on a number of occasions, Boyd kept on chugging, and apart from ignoring open players late in the game to blaze away from 45metres out, really got us going on a number of occasions.

Anchors
Stevens - when challenged by an opponent he will seek out the nearest teammate (even if it's only 30cm's away) and handball without regard to the pressure he is putting them under.
Hunter- like Stringer has loads of footy ability, and also like Stringer needs to concentrate on doing things right and executing when required. At least Hunter works to get into the right position to get the ball, unlike Stringer.
Cooney- for the first 3 Qtrs he was almost invisible, apart from a couple of cameo's. Then in the last he decided to work harder. Is he injured or is his knee flaring up again. If so then I rescind this Anchor and apologise.

Can I just quote yours? Summed it up.

ratsmac
13-04-2014, 10:52 AM
BANKERS

Wood - he was terrific. I hope he gains a lot of confidence from that performance.
Boyd - I am yet another one who is guilty of potting this bloke. He was consistent all day, what a great game.
The two Toms - The GWS forwards looked like they were in for a big day in the first half. Thank you boys for standing up when the team needed you.
Griffen - looks to be sore but willed his body to get the team going. 2nd half he was starting to look like the old Griff.

ANCHORS

Stringer - I hate putting young blokes in this section, but Stringer looks out of sorts ATM. How many times did he let is opponent lead him to the ball. Your the forward Jake, you make the leads. Needs a spell at Footscray to gain some confidence and form.
The beach - this was a disgrace. This day and age AFL footy shouldn't be allowed to play on crap like that.
The commentary - OMG Dwayne Russell is a moron. Tony Shaw was barracking at one point. Gerard is Gerard.

KT31
13-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Bankers:
Crameri and Jones for standing up and slotting the goals we needed.
The older brigade for standing up and performing when needed.
Our backline , especially Pickens first quarter , a great undermanned and undersized performance.
B.Mac's after game presser.

Anchors:
Beach football - Do Canberra really want AFL or not.
Morris injury.
Our lack of intercity in the first half..

Scorlibo
13-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Bankers:

Wood - has repaid the faith shown in him by the coaches. Loved his beautifully weighted ball down the guts to Gia, when the camera turned to the coaches' box Macca had a grin on him.

Williams - this guy bleeds red, white and blue. When a player's called courageous usually people mean it in the 'cracking in' sense, but there are other varieties of courageous. Tommy's courage in working his arse off to get back onto the footy field time after time, injury after injury... only admiration from me.

Griffen - my goodness does he make a difference when he's in the thick of the midfield. Just little decisions in the middle of the pack that give us clear possession of the footy. Takes a lot of pressure away from Libba too.

Anchors:

Umpires - just a few howlers where everyone watching the game was on the same page except for them! Bizarre.

Dwayne - Disgraceful. If you want to barrack, go sit in the stands.

Ben Dixon in the post-match interview with Boydy - 'mate, do you want the good news or the bad news? The good news is you've won the game, the bad news is you're one short of 40 possessions'... good one Dicko! Maybe you could have checked in with Dale Morris instead of working on that material for three quarters?

SonofScray
13-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Just watched the replay before I headed off to Willy for the reserves. My choices:

BANKERS:
Young - mostly for 'hanging in' when outsized and getting stronger as the game wore on.
Higgins - playing solid footy with good spirit. I've taken him off my whipping boy list.
Jones - Clutch.

ANCHORS:
Surface at Star Trek Oval - captain's log, star date 12.04.14 "this ground is shit."
Dwayne Russell - atrocious
Dale Morris - put the Mozz on himself earlier by talking up how he wants to play until he is 105yrs old etc.

boydogs
13-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Surface at Star Trek Oval - captain's log, star date 12.04.14 "this ground is shit."

lol :D

Happy Days
13-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Bankers

Boyd - incredible game, I had him clearly BOG. Just did everything; kicked goals, won clearances, used the ball efficiently (!!!), etc.

Higgins - so pretty to watch, injuries may have cost him a yard but that kick is too sweet.

Jones - transformed into a more than reliable set shot, which speaks to his work ethic; pretty much won us the game too

Anchors

Stringer - I love me some Strang but he needs a spell. Hard to pick out a facet of his game to critique I n particular because he didn't really do anything

Hunter - I like how much of a brat I assume he is but just kick the *!*!*!* goal next time please

Minson - Should have had much more of an impact against little opposition

Ozza
14-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Bankers:

Boyd - a monster game from him with all the trimmings, including getting on the scoreboard, and hitting forwards laces out.
Macrae - pleasure to watch every week.
Jones - Has become a real clutch performer - kicking the big goals when we need them.

Anchors:

Can't really point to individuals - just an overall poor effort in the first quarter. Macca hit the nail on the head when he said it seemed like we were all just 'waiting for it to just happen'.

Murphy'sLore
14-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Bankers:

Jones - Has become a real clutch performer - kicking the big goals when we need them.

Did you see how broad Liam's grin was when the boys were singing the song? He looked very happy and so he should be.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 11:01 AM
bankers:

Footy gods for allowing Wood, Williams & Higgins some footy. Please stay happy.
Dad's army, showing there's life left in old dogs.
Our boys unblinking and immediate ability to get into push & shove to protect any of ours players

Anchors:

Fox Commentators, seriously. If any sub comes on and kicks a goal the are called the super sub...
Toby Green ripping a chunk of Pickens hair out on the ground. If pinching gets a fine, so should that, it's piss week.
Higgins getting tunnelled in the last with no free, seriously dangerous, seriously bad non decision.

comrade
14-04-2014, 12:05 PM
bankers:

Anchors:

Fox Commentators, seriously. If any sub comes on and kicks a goal the are called the super sub...
Toby Green ripping a chunk of Pickens hair out on the ground. If pinching gets a fine, so should that, it's piss week.
Higgins getting tunnelled in the last with no free, seriously dangerous, seriously bad non decision.

+1 to all 3.

Greene has a very punchable face.

The Higgins non-call that turned into a GWS goal at a critical time caused me to lose my voice. I had the house to myself, all alone, and fair to say I sounded a little ridiculous. Felt better afterwards, though.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Can I add a belated banker for them, anchor for us to Jonathan Giles? Watching the replay, he really did play a monster of a game that didn't really get the recognition it deserved. Credit where credit is due, he had Minson's measure…

bornadog
14-04-2014, 01:24 PM
+1 to all 3.

Greene has a very punchable face.

The Higgins non-call that turned into a GWS goal at a critical time caused me to lose my voice. I had the house to myself, all alone, and fair to say I sounded a little ridiculous. Felt better afterwards, though.

and that is the sort of protection that rule changes, or enforcement should be about. There was also another one where Higgins flew for a mark and his opponent grabbed his jumper while in mid air and dragged him to the ground - very dangerous. Should be a 50 metre penalty.

azabob
14-04-2014, 02:19 PM
From memory we were saying the same things about GWS last season, were we not?

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 02:44 PM
From memory we were saying the same things about GWS last season, were we not?

I believe we were. Little cheap shots behind the play all day. Was it that little weasel Taylor Adams who had a swing at Cooney?

bornadog
14-04-2014, 02:56 PM
I believe we were. Little cheap shots behind the play all day. Was it that little weasel Taylor Adams who had a swing at Cooney?

Yes as well as JJ's shoulder after Cameron ran at him like a train and arriving very late.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Yes as well as JJ's shoulder after Cameron ran at him like a train and arriving very late.

For all the talk about the duty of care players have for each other, the media's response to that incident was disgusting. JJ missing the rest of the season was a footnote.