PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 4 Edition

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Once the Round 4 match against GWS Giants is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Tom Williams improved a lot. We mustn't write players off too early.

Jong is fearless....heck we all knew that anyway

Higgins is getting better and better

LostDoggy
12-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Having fit players makes such a difference - some injuries are harder to cover than others!

Liam Picken just never stops giving 120%

Griff appears to be just getting better and better (perhaps a little injured but obviously enjoying the captaincy)

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Matthew Boyd is still very important to our side

With consistency Jones will be a great player for us up forward

Higgins is on the up

Topdog
12-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Jones will make it. 2 weeks in a row he has stood up in the 4th quarter.
Higgins really has had a career ruined by injuries (prior to this season I was questioning if we just over hyped his potential)
Who needs tall defenders.

westdog54
12-04-2014, 09:56 PM
This is Higgins' year. Its finally happening.
There are some players you should just never, ever write off. Boydy, Picko, I'm looking at you.
Our forward line will be just fine going forward.

1eyedog
12-04-2014, 09:59 PM
1. Higgins just needs some continuity to show us all that he is a star
2. Boyd contested ball king today
3. Picken is in rare touch and I'm so glad for him.

Twodogs
12-04-2014, 10:19 PM
1. Stuart Crameri might be that player Ive been waiting for. The one who refuses to concede defeat and drag everyone else back into it. There were signs of it tonight.
2. Macrae is very good. Had a media darling week but still dominated and stepped it up when the game was on the line.
1. How good Hggins is when he's at his best. Williams too. He stepped up when we needed him.

craigsahibee
12-04-2014, 11:58 PM
1. Matty Boyd has an enormous amount of pride in his performance. (Probably knew that already but Boydy underlined it today.)
2. Liam Jones will be ok for us (Probably knew that already but jonesy underlined it today.)
3. The players play for Macca. (Knew that already)

bornadog
13-04-2014, 12:07 AM
1. Tom Young was a good pickup and only turns 22 this month

2. Matty Boyd not done with yet

3. Crameri getting better every week.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I love our mix of youth with the older blokes. Boydy is as tough as nails!

lemmon
13-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Wood, Williams and Higgo...its like trading in three very good middle aged players

Macrae is the best second year player I've ever seen, Griff and Libba were both very good but this guy is far more rounded

Crameri brings more to the table than I thought, proved me wrong tonight

Scraggers
13-04-2014, 01:18 AM
I thought Crameri was a bad decision ... He gets better each week and is proving me very wrong.

We have found our fighting spirit / never say die attitude again (it was lost for a number of years)

Griff's heart is bigger than I thought possible in an AFL footballer. He is seriously underdone (understandably), but he gives until it hurts ... And even after it hurts ... That tackle was a snorta !!!

Remi Moses
13-04-2014, 01:28 AM
3) great character in the group( loved seeing Minson and Libba really get into the giants player who hit griff)
2) Pickens had a resurgence ( he was our best early)
1) in the presser a question on Jason Tutt( who would have thought)

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 03:24 AM
1. Jones taught me that Stringer, although looking not quite up to it at the moment, needs persisting with. The quicker we get 50 into him the better.
2. It's possible for journos to put the mozz on a player. Ryan Davidson (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?12962-Veteran-Dog-wants-to-play-on-for-five-more-years&p=370147#post370147), I'm looking at you!
3. Ward still hurts.

Hotdog60
13-04-2014, 07:59 AM
1) The umpiring is not very good this year. Very inconsistent and I'm not just talking about our games. One minute they let it flow and the next they pluck out sometime that should have played on but didn't.
2) The kids are getting better as the year rolls on. But the older guys seem to be getting better as well.
3) Last week I said I'm not yet sold on Higgins, I'm not a Higgins hater I just have seen a player that has never met his potential by being kept back by recurring injuries. Well today he looked sore but still put in a mighty performance. It's still going to be hard to jump on Higgins ban wagon just yet but he's certainly doing all the right things to get me there. Keep up the good work.

Bulldog Joe
13-04-2014, 08:04 AM
1. Williams is a good player. Amazing form turnaround from the previous week.
2. Easton Wood is proving the coach right as he improves every week.
3. Liam Picken is an excellent defender.

Bulldog Revolution
13-04-2014, 08:32 AM
1. McCartneys even approach in dealing with players is paying dividends
2. For all the crap dished out at our senior players over the years by Grant Thomas etc we've always had a good core, who set the example for younger teammates, and are good people
3. The written off players - Higigns, Wood, Williams, Tutt still have something to offer, they just need a bit of luck

ledge
13-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Macrae is the engine of the future
Dickson, smith and Dalhaus missing, we have depth.
Minson needs help.Cordy time to come good.

azabob
13-04-2014, 10:34 AM
2. For all the crap dished out at our senior players over the years by Grant Thomas etc we've always had a good core, who set the example for younger teammates, and are good people
3. The written off players - Higigns, Wood, Williams, Tutt still have something to offer, they just need a bit of luck

I just commented something along the same lines in the match day thread for point one. On point two funnily enough Grant Thomas has believed since start of last year we are on the right track due to who our coach is. I do wonder if Grant's dislike of us had to do with Eade more so than anything.

Mantis
13-04-2014, 10:35 AM
1/ Experience counts.. We had it, GWS didn't.
2/ Our defenders to a man had a day out.. It won't always be like that.
3/ Bob is human after all . Exhibit A - Tripping over his own feet.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2014, 10:39 AM
I didn't see the game, but was it a case of superior fitness as well? or just poise to ice it.

azabob
13-04-2014, 10:41 AM
I didn't see the game, but was it a case of superior fitness as well? or just poise to ice it.

I didn't see the game either, but GWS have burnt off a couple of teams in the last quarter this year - so from that I think they are fit.

Scorlibo
13-04-2014, 10:54 AM
1 - Tom Williams has some genuine character, could have easily fallen to bits once Dale went down but instead stood up for the team. If we can get he and Roughy both on the park for a sustained period we could have a formidable defensive unit for years to come.

2 - Liam Jones will be okay. I like that in the last two weeks he hasn't set the world on fire, just taken his opportunities and brought energy. He's shown more signs of learning/growing in the last two weeks than he'd shown in the two years previous. Well done Liam.

3 - Dwayne Russell has some deep-seated hatred for our team. That's the only explanation for his awful, awful bias yesterday. How many times did I hear, 'oh! And he just THROWS IT OUT, the umpire's lost his whistle!', during the broadcast? Or, 'he's in trouble here, but the umpire cuts him some slack'? You are a first class hack Dwayne Russell, you are the most reactionary and unprofessional caller I have ever listened to. You clearly make no effort to even tell our players apart, because you completely missed that there was a kid out there called Jackson Macrae - that's right Shaun Higgins didn't rack up 60 possessions. What's even better - my favourite - is when you're sitting next to that idiot Tony Shaw and Gerard Healy who still can't recognise our ex-skipper after 10 years of trying. Not Brad Boyd and not Dale Morris WHO IS OFF THE GROUND, Matthew Boyd. It was unbearable listening yesterday.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Kelly Underwood is first class compared to him. And that's saying something. She seems to be trying to lower her voice a tone all the time to be more manly. Still, even outclasses Dwayne.

GVGjr
13-04-2014, 11:42 AM
2/ Our defenders to a man had a day out.. It won't always be like that.

I agree that our defenders all had good games but we were basically missing our two best defenders in Roughead and Morris. I last nights performance could also be a sign that we are getting some depth within the list.

We still have Talia, Goodes and Johannisen around the mark as well and maybe Austin.

boydogs
13-04-2014, 11:57 AM
3/ Bob is human after all . Exhibit A - Tripping over his own feet.

His boot kicked the leg of the GWS player who was chasing him. Tony Shaw got it wrong watching the replay

ledge
13-04-2014, 12:09 PM
They insinuated it was the sand on c7 a minute ago

KT31
13-04-2014, 12:11 PM
1.Macrae is going to be Star and hopefully our Captain one day.
2.Apologies to Picken, I didn't have him in my best twenty two at the start.
3.How important it is to have a brigade of older players to steady the ship.

4th. if I may, Crameri and Jones have passion for our jumper as shown at the end of the game when they celebrated the win together.

Greystache
13-04-2014, 12:26 PM
His boot kicked the leg of the GWS player who was chasing him. Tony Shaw got it wrong watching the replay

No he didn't. He kicked the back of his planted leg. The GWS player didn't make any contact and the surface didn't seem to be an issue. Fortunately he didn't hurt himself.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Grant Thomas can't even spell “good people”. Look at the Saints team he built.

The Fox Footy guys used the word poise about 87 f#%£King times last night. It's just as important as the others, you know. Swimsuit, evening wear, talent, POISE!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJnWrKQeqY

Pickenitup
13-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Dwayne Russell Is a absolute flog the worst commentator ever hate when we have interstate games he always seems to call our games.Makes the win sweeter as he def wanted GWS to win.

ratsmac
13-04-2014, 01:37 PM
1. Higgins still has plenty of good football ahead of him. His body took some punishment yesterday and he kept getting up. He is becoming an important part of our team.

2. Liam Jones can kick straight. 2 weeks in a row he has nailed his set shots when the pressure was on. He would of missed a couple years ago. He is maturing nicely.

3. Easton Wood just might be that running half back the coaches have been trying to get him to be. He has been unlucky with injury in the past so I hope he can get some continuity.

ratsmac
13-04-2014, 02:01 PM
No he didn't. He kicked the back of his planted leg. The GWS player didn't make any contact and the surface didn't seem to be an issue. Fortunately he didn't hurt himself.

Sorry mate, Gogriff is right. Just watched it again and the GWS player clipped his foot which caused him to trip himself.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2014, 02:31 PM
1. We're such a better side when we look to move the ball quickly and we are seeming more able to flick the switch when things aren't going our way.

2. Easton Wood is really arriving as a consistent player and would be right up there in our B&F at the moment.

3. Jason Tutt is a player worth persisting with, as unfortunate as Dahl's injury is, it could be the opportunity for Tutt to become a fixture in the side.

boydogs
13-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Sorry mate, Gogriff is right. Just watched it again and the GWS player clipped his foot which caused him to trip himself.

Yeah got the GWS player's leg before his own

Twodogs
13-04-2014, 02:46 PM
3. Ward still hurts.

Macrae is a fair replacement though.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 02:49 PM
1. Shaun Higgins is tough as nails. He copped a knee in the ribs from Cameron and minutes later was tunnelled under the footy and land heavily on that disgraceful excuse for a surface in the last quarter. Not only did he manage to stay out there but he was one of our best in the last, highlighted by the mark he took in the middle when he had to sit and wait under it. One of the best games I've seen from him.

2. If Robert Murphy played for a big club he'd be considered one of the very best players in the AFL. Hardly news to Bulldogs people, but watching us play that synthetic excuse for a football club in a sandpit in front of a tiny crowd in Canberra reinforced it for me. Doesn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserves from the wider football community.

3. I really, really, really hate GWS.

F'scary
13-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Learning 1: Tom Young can play tall. I wasn't sure about that before.

Learning 2: We need our senior core to stick around for another 3+ years if that's possible. It is going to take time to build their replacements. The pressure needs not to be on the Boyds & the Murphys but on the recruits over the past 5 years who have yet to show enough. They are the ones for the chop - list replenishment shouldn't come through premature retirements.

Learning 3: Higgins is much more gutsier than I thought. Keep it up Professor. The perfect compliment to your better-than-most vision and disposal skills.

Scorlibo
13-04-2014, 03:21 PM
2. If Robert Murphy played for a big club he'd be considered one of the very best players in the AFL. Hardly news to Bulldogs people, but watching us play that synthetic excuse for a football club in a sandpit in front of a tiny crowd in Canberra reinforced it for me. Doesn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserves from the wider football community.

So true, Bob is an absolute star. Honours such as the All Australian side (by which players are judged) are just musical chairs most of the time - Gilbee, Murphy and Morris all have just one year where they've been picked yet all have been very consistent across the best five years of their careers. If there was a real Australian side picked, to play another country, the selectors would be raving mad to go past Bob Murphy.

F'scary
13-04-2014, 03:32 PM
So true, Bob is an absolute star. Honours such as the All Australian side (by which players are judged) are just musical chairs most of the time - Gilbee, Murphy and Morris all have just one year where they've been picked yet all have been very consistent across the best five years of their careers. If there was a real Australian side picked, to play another country, the selectors would be raving mad to go past Bob Murphy.

Still, it is a great achievement to be selected AA even once. Ranks only below Brownlow, Club B&F and captaincy IMO.

Scorlibo
13-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Still, it is a great achievement to be selected AA even once. Ranks only below Brownlow, Club B&F and captaincy IMO.

To be selected in the AA side you have to be a very good player, but the converse isn't true: to be a very good player you don't have to win AA selection.

All of these players who've racked up absurd numbers of AA selection - Brad Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett etc. No one would say they're not champions. But there are always others who produce similar output each year who are overlooked, often when playing for bottom-tier sides.

F'scary
13-04-2014, 04:29 PM
To be selected in the AA side you have to be a very good player, but the converse isn't true: to be a very good player you don't have to win AA selection.

All of these players who've racked up absurd numbers of AA selection - Brad Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett etc. No one would say they're not champions. But there are always others who produce similar output each year who are overlooked, often when playing for bottom-tier sides.

Fair enough. When some become a "name" the benefits keep flowing on and on.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 05:36 PM
1. I have underrated Wallis' job on Ward yesterday
2. It's so much easier re-watching the first three quarters once you know what happens in the fourth
3. Jackson Macrae is my favourite player on Supercoach.

JohnGentStand
13-04-2014, 08:10 PM
1. Higgins has been so unlucky. Potted by 'supporters' for being soft, he is far from it. The bloke can seriously kick and he adds so much class to the side....forgot how good he is.
2. Williams/Wood: same boat. Continuity of games and these guys will be able to show us why...
3.Macrae , I knew he could play, but didn't know he was a 'competitive beast' . Should have trusted the Macca Mantra better

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2014, 09:42 PM
1. Williams and Higgins have more mental strength than I gave them credit for previously. Both stood up and were major reasons we won in the face of serious adversity. I thought that was Williams' best game for the club, and close to Higgins'. Superb effort on all aspects.

2. I underestimated Wallis' job on Ward too. Great effort, literally broke even.

3. Wood and Picken were enormous early, we may well have been 8 goals down in the first quarter if it wasn't for their efforts. Both would be very high up in the B&F - both are perfecting the balance of defense and attack at the moment.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 10:42 PM
1. Williams form turnaround is nothing short of remarkable.
2. We still haven't learnt to play consistently.
3. Griff looks like he is doing it tough ...a spell to freshen up his body might do wonders.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Agree. It can resemble the Herald Sun Player Of The Year award at times. But then, they all can, even the Brownlow. I guess the Coleman is a good medal simply because there's no discretion involved, simply kick one more goal than anybody else and you're in.

Macrae is a fair replacement though.
Can't I want both?

I actually don't mind GWS, really. Just hate that they took Ward.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Kelly Underwood is first class compared to him. And that's saying something. She seems to be trying to lower her voice a tone all the time to be more manly. Still, even outclasses Dwayne.

I just cannot listen to Kelly. I love Women don't get me wrong but she is just trying too hard I think!

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I just cannot listen to Kelly. I love Women don't get me wrong but she is just trying too hard I think!

I agree, from her time at C10 it's not so much her voice but some of the attempted witty or banter type things come off like she's trying to be like Bruce or others. Personally I just like callers of the game without the hoopla, but there's not many these days it seems.

Ozza
14-04-2014, 01:01 PM
1. Getting continuity, and confidence in your body - makes an enormous difference. See Wood, Higgins and to a certain extent Williams.

2. Jones and Crameri are beginning to work well together, and are complimenting each others style. Jarrad Grant into the will make it even more interesting - if Grant is able to come back in and find the form he displayed last year.

3. Accuracy in front of goal is important - but accuracy at the right time is doubly important. 55.30 (65%) is what we've kicked for the year. In the last 2 weeks we've kicked 4.1 and 7.2 in the last quarters - with Crameri, Jones, Gia, Griffen all nailing some crucial set shots. Jones has kicked 7.0 for the season (one out on the full v Richmond from 50+ near the boundary). Crameri has kicked 9.1.