PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 5 vs Carlton

Eastdog
12-04-2014, 01:05 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for round 5 game against Carlton at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I'd imagine there will be change with Morris. Any others?

lemmon
12-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Stringer needs to find some form in the seconds, might be a good chance to get the second ruck into the side

Out- Morris, Stringer
In- Talia, Campbell

GVGjr
12-04-2014, 08:31 PM
We will know a bit more after tomorrow's VFL game but at the moment.

Out - Morris (inj) Stringer (form)
Ins - Austin, Talia

Two tall defenders might seem one too many but I think we need to give both of them a chance to impress.
I'm okay with Minson having to do the work for another week.

Greystache
12-04-2014, 08:36 PM
In-Dahlhaus
Out- Stringer

Not sure how serious Dahl's calf is. Dixon said Morris thinks his ankle will be OK. Trips have only been getting a reprimand this season, so he should be available.

azabob
12-04-2014, 08:37 PM
In-Dahlhaus
Out- Stringer

Not sure how serious Dahl's calf is. Dixon said Morris thinks his ankle will be OK. Trips have only been getting a reprimand this season, so he should be available.

Who is Dixon?

GVGjr
12-04-2014, 08:41 PM
In-Dahlhaus
Out- Stringer

Was supposed to be two weeks but Dahlhaus is an auto inclusion if fit. Tutt's probably done enough to keep his spot.

Rance Fan
12-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Out - stringer
In - cordy

Hotdog60
12-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Higgins was favouring a left shoulder in the last quarter.
Crameri could also be carrying some sort of groin complaint.
If the VFL have a good showing I wonder if there will be some resting against Carlton. Although they will be under the pump.

Greystache
12-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Who is Dixon?

Ben Dixon, Fox's boundary rider.

bornadog
13-04-2014, 12:31 AM
I will wait for tomorrows match, but would like to see Stringer go back to VFL for a stint.

Ins could be Dahl, Cordy, Dickson (if he kicks a few tomorrow)

Remi Moses
13-04-2014, 01:42 AM
In Bontempelli Talia ( possibly Dickson, depending on tomorrow)
Out Stringer ( poor today ) Morris

ledge
13-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I think team will be changed based on opposition team, I would say Waite and Garlett will come back in for them. Also like to see how Footscray go and who stands out , I imagine Dickson will come back in if he has another good game, his pressure last week was excellent.

Mantis
13-04-2014, 10:25 AM
It's a bit early to make an informed call when taking injuries (Morris & Dahlhaus) and form of VFL players into account, but I do think both Stringer (more so) and Hunter need a spell.

Carlton aren't overly tall up forward so as long as Morris comes up I don't think we need to add another tall defender in.

Assuming Morris & Dahlhaus are ok:

In: Dahlhaus, Bontempelli
Out: Stringer, Hunter

azabob
13-04-2014, 10:30 AM
In: Dahlhaus, Bontempelli
Out: Stringer, Hunter

Why Hunter - form, attitude or a rest? I like him, I think every time he has the footy something will happen.

Scorlibo
13-04-2014, 11:05 AM
In: Dahlhaus, Dickson.
Out: Stringer, Jong.

boydogs
13-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Hunter is really important to us, I would only consider dropping him if Dahlhaus is back. Not sure whether they will drop Stringer or allow him to continue to develop at AFL level, he was a due a spell in the VFL weeks ago. Perhaps Dickson or Cordy need to put their hands up again today

Mantis
13-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Why Hunter - form, attitude or a rest? I like him, I think every time he has the footy something will happen.

Form/ rest - Tapered off the last few weeks.. By no means has he been terrible, but a spell will do no harm.. If Dahlhaus doesn't come up maybe Hunter can be used as the sub next week.

LostDoggy
13-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Out: Morris
In: Talia

I'd leave Stringer in. Make him work at it at the higher level. I don't see what he'd gain by going back to the VFL and getting bags of goals, it seems counter-intuitive.

I'd like to see Cordy or Campbell back in, but don't see an out for them.

Pickenitup
13-04-2014, 12:48 PM
In Talia, Dahl,
Out Morris (inj)tough one either Tutt or Jong

1eyedog
13-04-2014, 02:30 PM
No change unless there is an injury.

Out: Morris if injured

Twodogs
13-04-2014, 02:58 PM
No change unless there is an injury.

Out: Morris if injured
^^^^^^
This. I don't like flirting with the formula and making changes to a winning team unless its absolutely necessary.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2014, 03:56 PM
OUT: Morris (inj), Stringer
IN: Talia, Dickson

If Dahl is right he comes in.

boydogs
13-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Reports are that Cordy & Dickson struggled, maybe they will just work with Stringer through the week on his positioning in marking contests and keep him in.

Clay Smith can't be far away now can he?

The bulldog tragician
13-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Last week I disagreed with calls for Stringer to be dropped. My view was that the more games we get into him, the better. I was also forgiving of his positioning against Richmond - our forward line can be hell to play in sometimes, there aren't that many beautifully weighted kicks which encourage hard leads. Unlike others I was pleased with his work rate, I saw him working very hard, just not getting to the right spots, and lacking a tank.

But I did feel this week there were signs that waning confidence is leading to him taking cheap short cuts hoping to get his name on the scoreboard. On that basis maybe he needs a rest.

So for me: out Morris If injured: Stringer for time to regain that strut.
In: Dahl. Talia.

JohnGentStand
13-04-2014, 08:00 PM
no change
Talia for Morris if injured
If Dahlhaus is fit then Tutt or Gia make way
I think Stringer needs to work through it.

bornadog
13-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Could be no change this week, depending on Dale's ankle.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 10:41 AM
I have no issue with some young guns going back if needs be. I don't see it as a major issue, whether VFL or any level, when you dominate the confidence comes, successful traits are hopefully learned and an appreciation that an AFL selection requires even more than huge talent and pretty hard work. It's not all bad, Stringers quarter last year when he kicked for Wlliamstown was spectacular, that he couldn't (for example) do with that again isn't completely unreasonable. But Macca seems a contradiction at times, Grant and Talia playing twos, while Dahl was forced to play his way into form late last year in the AFL. It's hard to read sometimes, but he seems to be winning more of his player development strategies than losing.

I think we need another tall if a Dale is down, and I'm wanting to see Bonts sooner rather than later. If he's going to win the Rising Star he needs games! :)

The Pie Man
14-04-2014, 12:15 PM
We've seen Stringer drift up the ground at times....is it worth asking him to play tight as a HBF for a stint with Dale possibly out? Footy education and all that, plus solving a problem if it works.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 12:28 PM
We've seen Stringer drift up the ground at times....is it worth asking him to play tight as a HBF for a stint with Dale possibly out? Footy education and all that, plus solving a problem if it works.

It sounds tempting, but if you look at that goal he gifted to GWS when he made a mistake back there, it's just too risky. Not getting a goal, sure, but giving one up?

I'd keep him in for a few more games, let him work through it, but keep him up front. He is going to be a pivotal player for us in years to come, so if somebody has to sit out so he can gain development time, so be it. We're still coming out of a rebuild, guys.

Mofra
14-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Reads like Goodes was the only one who stood up for Footscray.

If Morris is out, Goodes to come in

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Morris to cop a week for the trip..

Will Carlton bring Waite back after a measly 1 goal performance in the VFL? I say yes to stretch us..

Dalhaus a chance to return and with Henderson/Waite we need another tall..

Talia wasn't in our best or mentioned in the match report, currently doesn't deserve a spot? What are our other options to cover these two?

Out-Stringer, Morris
In-Dalhaus, ???

GVGjr
14-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Worth a try. Not a bad suggestion

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Reads like Goodes was the only one who stood up for Footscray.

If Morris is out, Goodes to come in

Goodes did well yesterday but I think this would be the ideal week to blood Bontempelli who was very good yesterday and a real talent. You would expect Dahlhaus to return for the unlucky Tutt.
In. Bontempelli and Dahlhaus
Out. Morris and Tutt

1eyedog
14-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Where is Austin at track watchers? Chance to replace Morris against his old side?

SlimPickens
14-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Where is Austin at track watchers? Chance to replace Morris against his old side?

He may be our only defensive option, unless we throw Redpath to the wolves.
Depending how Talia recovers from his concussion yesterday, I'd bring Austin in over Redpath if we feel we need another tall in defense and Talia doesn't get up.

boydogs
14-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Dalhaus a chance to return and with Henderson/Waite we need another tall..

Williams, Young, Wood?

FrediKanoute
14-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Form mine whlst Stringer is not playing great, you don't change winning teams unless you havereason too. Morris is out so you need a Like for Like replacement - Talia, Redpath or Roberts are the 3 who should be brought in for him.

F'scary
14-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Carton are going to rush back the turkey who takes young guys out on boat rides to get them legless. According to the report I saw, he has only trained twice this year.

Popcorn time :D

Hotdog60
14-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Carlton will come out with a lot of intent after a week of the media putting them under the griller. We need to get on top early and kill their enthusiasm.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Lots of ifs this week.

If Morris is out I would go with Talia. If he is out then I would go with Redpath. If Williams is out too I would go with Roberts as well, Boy, stretching our depth!

I think Jong needs a spell. Dahl auto in if he is right. Otherwise I would go with Goodes.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Carlton will come out with a lot of intent after a week of the media putting them under the griller. We need to get on top early and kill their enthusiasm.

Unbelievable how much scrutiny they have come under this week. We need to be on our game and really belt this mob.

azabob
15-04-2014, 10:39 AM
This game will be physical more so than normal.

I think Jong should stay in due to his attack on the ball. I don't think Dahlhaus will be risked with a calf injury.

I'd be inclined to bring Austin in for Morris and look to drop Stringer for Honeychurch. By all accounts Honeychurch is energetic, hard at the contest and has ability.

IN - Honeychurch, Austin
OUT - Stringer, Morris

Tutt or Honeychurch as the sub.

Ozza
15-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Would be interested to know what is happening with Hrovat. Anybody have any clues?

F'scary
15-04-2014, 02:17 PM
In: Dahlhaus (the report this Tuesday morning is that he is coming along - they are "hopeful").
Out: Tutt (bad luck).

In: Austin (but how is this done if he is a rookie still? Can Roughead be long-term injury listed?)
Out: Morris (injured/suspended).

I'm for persisting with Stringer for the moment and for keeping Jong because his kamakaze style might just be what we need against a fired up Carton. Did consider Goodes on this basis but if he comes in I hope he is not given the defensive forward role - he is a HBF and that is about it.

soupman
15-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Surely Tutt is safe. He got talked up by BMac and did perform, and is a quick guy who can kick. Keep him in.

My changes:
Morris for Roberts.
Assuming Talia is unavailable then Roberts is competing with just Redpath and Austin, and even though Roughy has done his shoulder he is two weeks into a 7-8 week injury which means if we LTI list him he misses 2 weeks where he is fit (8 weeks minimum I think), so we won't be promoting one of the rookies. Roberts comes in as a tall so that our defence has more than just Williams, Young and Wood to play tall, and also helps fill the gap up forward left by my next omission.

Stringer for Dahlhaus if fit, if not then Bontempelli.
Stringer has been crap this year. Continually playing from behind, lacking attack on the ball and trying millionaire style kicks at goal and teammates. As BMac is all about players committing to the contest, having intensity and doing the basics right then I don't see how he can justify keeping Stringer in the side when guys like Talia and Grant have been forced to the sidelines for prolonged periods. If Dahlhaus is fit, then he comes in.

Stringers height isn't benefiting us at all so we lose nothing in size, and Dahlhaus is a far superior ground ball player. Roberts as my other inclusion can go forward if we feel we need more height, as Carlton's forwardline is hardly the land of the giants, and even if it were, they're pretty shit giants. If Dahlhaus isn't fit enough to atleat play sub, then Bontempelli should get his first taste. I've seen him play a couple of times for Footscray and he is smooth and classy and already a good size. I'd like to see him rewarded for continual good form and for it to be made clear to Stringer that he still has to perform.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Agree soupaman, well said.

Only thing I'd say is that I am not sure how much longer we can keep playing Jong in the side, particularly when Boyd/Wallis have seemingly found form. What does he offer that we don't already have? He's been OK at times but we need more than a hard at it mid who turns it over and is still learning the game whilst averaging 10-14 disposals. I like him as depth, but he shouldn't be playing at the moment.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Agree soupaman, well said.

Only thing I'd say is that I am not sure how much longer we can keep playing Jong in the side, particularly when Boyd/Wallis have seemingly found form. What does he offer that we don't already have? He's been OK at times but we need more than a hard at it mid who turns it over and is still learning the game whilst averaging 10-14 disposals. I like him as depth, but he shouldn't be playing at the moment.

Zero clangers and disposal efficiency of 91.7% against GWS. I think I would leave him in to learn the game more.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Zero clangers and disposal efficiency of 91.7% against GWS. I think I would leave him in to learn the game more.

He only chips the ball 15m, and 7 of his 12 disposals were handballs so naturally his DE will be high.

His positioning/game sense was shown up quite a few times in the GWS game, and I don't believe he's fit enough either. He has shown some good signs, but we need more from a midfielder.

craigsahibee
15-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Surely Tutt is safe. He got talked up by BMac and did perform, and is a quick guy who can kick. Keep him in.

My changes:
Morris for Roberts.
Assuming Talia is unavailable then Roberts is competing with just Redpath and Austin, and even though Roughy has done his shoulder he is two weeks into a 7-8 week injury which means if we LTI list him he misses 2 weeks where he is fit (8 weeks minimum I think), so we won't be promoting one of the rookies. Roberts comes in as a tall so that our defence has more than just Williams, Young and Wood to play tall, and also helps fill the gap up forward left by my next omission.

Stringer for Dahlhaus if fit, if not then Bontempelli.
Stringer has been crap this year. Continually playing from behind, lacking attack on the ball and trying millionaire style kicks at goal and teammates. As BMac is all about players committing to the contest, having intensity and doing the basics right then I don't see how he can justify keeping Stringer in the side when guys like Talia and Grant have been forced to the sidelines for prolonged periods. If Dahlhaus is fit, then he comes in.

Stringers height isn't benefiting us at all so we lose nothing in size, and Dahlhaus is a far superior ground ball player. Roberts as my other inclusion can go forward if we feel we need more height, as Carlton's forwardline is hardly the land of the giants, and even if it were, they're pretty shit giants. If Dahlhaus isn't fit enough to atleat play sub, then Bontempelli should get his first taste. I've seen him play a couple of times for Footscray and he is smooth and classy and already a good size. I'd like to see him rewarded for continual good form and for it to be made clear to Stringer that he still has to perform.

Ha Ha Ha

bornadog
15-04-2014, 04:07 PM
He only chips the ball 15m, and 7 of his 12 disposals were handballs so naturally his DE will be high.

His positioning/game sense was shown up quite a few times in the GWS game, and I don't believe he's fit enough either. He has shown some good signs, but we need more from a midfielder.

He has played a total of 7 games. In a development team, we need to give players some experience.

1eyedog
15-04-2014, 04:08 PM

I would sub him in order to play to his strengths (pace) rather than his weakness (fitness). He seems a perfect sub candidate. We still lack pace, especially if Dahl doesn't come up.

The question is can we play Tutt and Jong in the same team?

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Play Jong in the back pocket?

In: Bontempelli for Stringer (but as starting sub)
In: Roberts for Morris

Gia starts in the forwardline in place of Stringer and we see if he can last....

soupman
15-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I get that but he has been playing a tagging role as well, shutting Grigg down well. He is going to be inconsistent but I'm hoping he starts to get used to shutting down some of the quicker guy's that Wallis can't take and hopefully providing some run the other way.

Also it feels wrong to make too many changes after two wins, and Jong unlike Stringer has been doing the basics of his role well which is what we want from everyone.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I get that but he has been playing a tagging role as well, shutting Grigg down well. He is going to be inconsistent but I'm hoping he starts to get used to shutting down some of the quicker guy's that Wallis can't take and hopefully providing some run the other way.

Also it feels wrong to make too many changes after two wins, and Jong unlike Stringer has been doing the basics of his role well which is what we want from everyone.

Did Jong run with Scully last week?

always right
15-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Not sure who Jong took last week but it seems he is being assigned to run with blokes who are not necessarily the best midfielder in the opposition but those that have a large influence if left to run free. Who fits that mould in Carlton's side considering Wallis is a lock for Murphy...........Gibbs? Simpson? Thomas? I reckon Jong's pace combined with his hardness might be perfect for any of these blokes.

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Out - Morris
In - Talia if his nose is ok

Give Luke D one more week off, don't risk calf injuries
Leave Stringer, he just needs a good start to build his confidence then watch him go

Rocco Jones
15-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Not sure who Jong took last week but it seems he is being assigned to run with blokes who are not necessarily the best midfielder in the opposition but those that have a large influence if left to run free. Who fits that mould in Carlton's side considering Wallis is a lock for Murphy...........Gibbs? Simpson? Thomas? I reckon Jong's pace combined with his hardness might be perfect for any of these blokes.

I get what you mean but we already have Wallis with the hard midfield tag, Boyd going with a more accountable role in midfield up against oppositions 1st-2nd best midfielder and Picken going with opposition's resting mid/dangerous wing/HF small type.

Maddog37
15-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Did Jong run with Scully last week?

It looked that way to me.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 06:50 PM
I get what you mean but we already have Wallis with the hard midfield tag, Boyd going with a more accountable role in midfield up against oppositions 1st-2nd best midfielder and Picken going with opposition's resting mid/dangerous wing/HF small type.

It looked that way to me.

Macca often gives players a run with role so they can learn from the players that accumulate alot of possessions.

I remember Wallis going with Sam Mitchell, it was a tough assignment but he learnt alot that night

wimberga
15-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Where the hell is hrovat?!!?!

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Where the hell is hrovat?!!?!

Good question? Maybe eating Chicken with Howard & Clay?

GVGjr
15-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Simpson for me. When he is good form he can be a real spark for them

Rocco Jones
15-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Simpson for me. When he is good form he can be a real spark for them

Would have to be a forward tag. I think one of their rare shining lights this season has been Chris Yarran. Maybe Picken came go to him.

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Unbelievable how much scrutiny they have come under this week. We need to be on our game and really belt this mob.

Unbelievable that it's taken the media this long.

Twodogs
16-04-2014, 12:45 AM
They haven't hit rock bottom yet. Kernahan says one thing and then Greg Swann says they won't be doing it two hours later. All they seem to care about at the moment is the 150 year dinner. Football matters are a secondary focus for them.

I not saying we just have to turn up to win but they don't seem all that fired up to me.

jeemak
16-04-2014, 02:06 AM
They haven't hit rock bottom yet. Kernahan says one thing and then Greg Swann says they won't be doing it two hours later. All they seem to care about at the moment is the 150 year dinner. Football matters are a secondary focus for them.

I not saying we just have to turn up to win but they don't seem all that fired up to me.

If we don't show up this week we'll get our arses handed to us. Make no mistake, the Carlton list is good enough to get to mid table (6-12) and is likely to do what it always does and smash the shit out of teams like us.

Not really sure if Shaun is out due to a shoulder, but he looked very proppy in the last quarter.

Out - Morris, Higgins (injured - shoulder)
In - Goodes, Dahlhaus

Considering the most recent week saw Stringer play in defence for at least two to two and a half quarters I'd leave him there for this week to fill the spot Morris left, and challenge him to play a zero game.

He should be out, but such a move might help him develop. If not, he should be out.

Surprised to see anyone nominating Tutt to be out. He played the perfect sub/outside player game last week IMO.

lemmon
16-04-2014, 03:41 AM
If Stringer goes back does he play small or tall?

GVGjr
16-04-2014, 07:28 AM
If Stringer goes back does he play small or tall?

Depends on the others. I still think it's worth a try either now or later in the season, but I would prefer that he matched up on a tall because he will have to play in front.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2014, 01:48 PM
If we don't show up this week we'll get our arses handed to us. Make no mistake, the Carlton list is good enough to get to mid table (6-12) and is likely to do what it always does and smash the shit out of teams like us.

I agree if we don't show up we'll record a bad loss, but that's purely because we aren't a good enough side to half ass wins yet.

I think you drastically overrate Carlton. They are crap, they have been for a few years, they rarely smash anyone and we've had it over them for a while (2012 excluded).

Their list is terrible and players such as Murphy and Gibbs are good ordinary players, no more.

jeemak
16-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I agree if we don't show up we'll record a bad loss, but that's purely because we aren't a good enough side to half ass wins yet.

I think you drastically overrate Carlton. They are crap, they have been for a few years, they rarely smash anyone and we've had it over them for a while (2012 excluded).

Their list is terrible and players such as Murphy and Gibbs are good ordinary players, no more.

Meant to write 8-12, rather than 6-12.

Agree we're not good enough to register half arsed wins, increasingly less sides are.

Ghost Dog
16-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Murphy ordinary? Not too sure about that. Was their B and F a few times IIRC. On a good day he tears it up in the midfield. Certainly out of sorts. But these are the sorts of assertions people are hanging over them now. They are under the pump and will come out swinging.

Ghost Dog
16-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Would have to be a forward tag. I think one of their rare shining lights this season has been Chris Yarran. Maybe Picken came go to him.

Good Call. Yarran has lots of class and is quite damaging. Back Picken to get right inside his head.

Mantis
16-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Surprised to see anyone nominating Tutt to be out. He played the perfect sub/outside player game last week IMO.

He did.

The state of the game and conditions suited him last week... GWS were running on empty for the last quarter on Saturday which was probably due to young players having to play in heavy conditions two weeks running.. Our more seasoned players (and sub) took full adavantage.

Consistency has been one of Tutt's issues so it would be hoped he can build on his latest performance.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Murphy ordinary? Not too sure about that. Was their B and F a few times IIRC. On a good day he tears it up in the midfield. Certainly out of sorts. But these are the sorts of assertions people are hanging over them now. They are under the pump and will come out swinging.

Good ordinary = good average player.

He's not a superstar, and in fact, he has been heavily questioned for the past two and a half seasons. He simply can't handle a tag or being the "main man" in the midfield. It's not to say he doesn't have good games.

Greystache
16-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Brett Goodes has been given a 1 week suspension for striking in the VFL. He's not going to be available this week.

G-Mo77
17-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Backs L Picken T Young E Wood
Half backs S Higgins T Williams R Murphy
Centreline A Cooney R Griffen J Macrae
Half forwards K Stevens S Crameri M Wallis
Forwards L Dahlhaus L Jones D Giansiracusa
Followers W Minson M Boyd T Liberatore
Interchange (from): M Bontempelli J Stringer, J Tutt, L Hunter, M Talia, T Campbell, L Jong

Remi Moses
17-04-2014, 07:43 PM
In for me
Talia Bonts
Out Morris Jong

Rocco Jones
17-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Had a look at the Footscray team and only Tutt and Campbell are in the VFL side. Are we playing around with this? Perhaps the extra emergency just in case Tom Williams isn't playing? Really harsh on Tutt if he misses out.

LostDoggy
17-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Had a look at the Footscray team and only Tutt and Campbell are in the VFL side. Are we playing around with this? Perhaps the extra emergency just in case Tom Williams isn't playing? Really harsh on Tutt if he misses out.

Very harsh. Tutt did alright when he came on and coming on as sub is a tough gig, unless you are Gia. Maybe he was a direct swap for Lukey D?

LostDoggy
18-04-2014, 07:23 PM
But then Stringer or Hunter? It seems like inconsistency of messaging is starting to creep in and I hate it. Stringer plays behind all game and had had a truly shit start to the season but he gets to stay? Tutt had a real crack, does all the team things (to my eyes) and is publically lauded and had to go.

Its getting uncool Macca.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Official:

In: Bontempelli, Talia, Dahlhaus
Out: Tutt (Omitted), Hunter (Omitted), Morris (Ankle)

Very stiff on Tutt. I am not a fan of his, but he did everything he possibly could last week after coming on. I would have played him instead of Jong.

Scorlibo
18-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Well I'll be damned if Hunter hasn't brought more to our forward line in every one of the previous four games than Stringer.

soupman
18-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Well I'll be damned if Hunter hasn't brought more to our forward line in every one of the previous four games than Stringer.

Completely agree. Stringer is named on the bench though so maybe he will be sub as his wake up call.

lemmon
18-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Probably a bit of a message in that I think. Has been good but a few things started to creep into his game last week that were a bit over the top and showboat-ey. Just a little tap on the shoulder warning him not to get ahead of himself and to remember the basics.

soupman
18-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Probably a bit of a message in that I think. Has been good but a few things started to creep into his game last week that were a bit over the top and showboat-ey. Just a little tap on the shoulder warning him not to get ahead of himself and to remember the basics.

This applies much more to Stringer than Hunter imo.

lemmon
18-04-2014, 08:14 PM
If anyone has been trying to play like a millionaire it's Stringer. Really hoping he proves me wrong on Sunday and has an impact, but thus far he has been very poor.

I don't disagree, I have been questioning Jake's spot for a few weeks. Just my thoughts on why Hunter didn't make the side. I thought Tutt was the most disappointing exclusion, couldn't have done much more last week and it sends a poor message to the guys in the same sort of class.

Scorlibo
18-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't disagree, I have been questioning Jake's spot for a few weeks. Just my thoughts on why Hunter didn't make the side. I thought Tutt was the most disappointing exclusion, couldn't have done much more last week and it sends a poor message to the guys in the same sort of class.

I'm sure you're right and it's a wake up call, but even wake up calls have to be made on the basis of merit. For mine Hunter played well enough even last week to keep his spot comfortably. Stringer has been in our worst few players in pretty well every game.

jeemak
18-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Could it be a process of rotating young players through the team pretty much irrespective of form? For instance, unless they're playing exceptionally well or exceptionally badly they're being given a set program to work to at senior level and then some time at the lower level?

I'd have given Tutt a full game this week, rather than drop him. He's very stiff for mine.

lemmon
18-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Could it be a process of rotating young players through the team pretty much irrespective of form? For instance, unless they're playing exceptionally well or exceptionally badly they're being given a set program to work to at senior level and then some time at the lower level?

I'd have given Tutt a full game this week, rather than drop him. He's very stiff for mine.
Hunter isn't named for Footscray so could very well be just a rest

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-04-2014, 10:23 PM
But then Stringer or Hunter? It seems like inconsistency of messaging is starting to creep in and I hate it. Stringer plays behind all game and had had a truly shit start to the season but he gets to stay? Tutt had a real crack, does all the team things (to my eyes) and is publically lauded and had to go.

Its getting uncool Macca.

Stringer and Hunter are different types of players. Dahlhaus becomes an automatic replacement for Tutt who did well against GWS. Bontempelli has been preferred to Hunter whilst Talia comes in for Morris. Stringer is in fact being played instead of Campbell and perhaps Grant when he eventually returns.
Jong for the moment is being played because of the injuries to Smith and Hrovat.
Hunter can be considered a little unlucky but having seen Bonts last week with Willy I am excited by what he brings to the table.
Given all these circumstances I am comfortable with the selected team.

jeemak
18-04-2014, 11:38 PM
That's fair enough, when put that way NBP.

I can understand why posters are a little baffled with Stringer being kept in though, irrespective of positional considerations.

Twodogs
18-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Hunter lairised a couple of times last week. I have no problem with him having a week in the twos.

Remi Moses
18-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Tad surprised Tutt and Hunter were dropped.
Bit surprised Stringer stayed in, and well done to MB .
Good to see Talia in as well.

1eyedog
18-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Tutt came in as a replacement for Dahl who he now makes way for. Macca may well have said as much to him. I prefer Jong to Tutt at this stage because he has the same pace but unlike Tutt he cracks in. I reckon Macca likes this as well. Stringer obviously stays in for structural reasons and I can't see him being dropped until Grant is ready to resume.

kruder
19-04-2014, 12:41 AM
A star will be born on Sunday good luck Bonts!!!!! Macrae has the runs on the board, but I think this kid we be every bit as good.

I'm pretty sure I heard Gary Lyon say Williams finished in a moon boot after last weeks game yet I haven't come across it anywhere else? I think it was access all areas anyone else pick this up?

Really dissapointed for Tutt would love to see him build on last weeks performance strange decision for mine. It makes me think that there will be a late out.

Stringer has been bloody awful so far this year his fitness is clearly not up to AFL standards and IMO has the yips in front of goals too. He thinks he is much better than his form currently reads, time for a reality check IMO.