PDA

View Full Version : Finals 2014 - Are they possible for Western Bulldogs

Bulldog Joe
14-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Since the fixture was released last year, I have felt that we can challenge for the 8.

To make the eight we need to win 13 games, although a team may scrape in with 12 wins.

So where can we win 13 games.

We have 7 games involving the bottom 5 from 2013

They are GWS (x2) Melb (x2) Gold Coast (x2) and St Kilda.

While I concede not all those are certainties, if we are able to win all of them we only require 6 wins against the remainder of the competition to finish in the eight.

A win over Richmond is already in the bank and we have a great chance against Carlton and Adelaide in the next 2 weeks.

I would also expect us to beat Brisbane. If we managed those we would only need 2 additional victories for the entire season.

Obviously if we lose any of the games mentioned we would need to upset an additional contender for every one we miss from my list.

bornadog
14-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I agree its possible, but I think GC will be hard to beat at Metricon, and Melbourne maybe on the up.

I hope we can at least win more games than last year and be competitive in the others.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Bonus territory are the finals for us this year. Who knows, when we play well we are hard to stop.

SlimPickens
14-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Think ill just worry about beating Carlton this week.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 03:59 PM
They are desperate, they have been insipid, and they have plenty to prove. Think we could be too strong but I expect this to go to the wire. If the blues leadership has an ounce of pride left they will fight tooth and nail to get over us this week. Even though the blues are total crap, if we come out like we did against GWS they'll get their wind up. Come up like against Richmond and we can break their hearts early you would think. The first 40-60 minutes has both opportunity and danger written all over it. Forget the finals; lets break the blues.

Ozza
14-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Won't be looking too far ahead. And have no expectation of finals this year.

HOWEVER....just to have a bit of fun with it....

Carlton this week....Adelaide after that. And Melbourne in round 8. All matches we would go to expecting to win.

If we are 5-3 heading into the bye....we will be in the 8. So it makes things a bit interesting with us still to play Melbourne again, Saints, Lions, Suns twice, and the Giants again.

1eyedog
14-04-2014, 05:14 PM
We have improved but really we are 2/2 and have no idea where we are at really against the top 8 contenders. We could quite conceivably go down against Carlton and Adelaide over the next two weeks. The Crows played very well against an insipid Saints outfit and Carlton are going to be up for a ^%$^ fight this weekend.

I would say we are less likely than likely to play finals this year.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Next 2 weeks will be crucial. Both winnable games.

Also alot depends on the Morris injury.

I would expect us to be able to account for the Blues this weekend. Adelaide are a good side, they play well at Etihad and are playing a very high risk high reward game style. If we don't come with the manic pressure that game we will get sliced to peices like the Saints. If we bring it, we win.

Who knows, a couple more injuries to Essendon in the coming weeks and they might be ripe for the picking come Round 7 :D

Twodogs
14-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Nice to dream isn't it? My left brain is all like "let's keep a lid on it" and my right brain is already organising the victory parade.

If we can keep stockpiling wins we'll get there. What I've liked is we've already had a couple of wins that we'd have lost anytime over the previous 2 or 3 seasons. We didn't come from behind deep in the last quarter and we didnt come back after a team had got on top of us.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2014, 06:23 PM
What I've liked is we've already had a couple of wins that we'd have lost anytime over the previous 2 or 3 seasons. We didn't come from behind deep in the last quarter and we didnt come back after a team had got on top of us.

Agreed, this is why the last two weeks have been very satisfying.

Even in our better years (08-10) I can't recall us either coming from behind to win or edging a close one. I remember close losses in finals, as well as close H&A losses to St. Kilda/Hawthorn/Geelong in this period.

I 'feel' as though we are a mentally stronger side than we were back then.

1eyedog
14-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Agreed, this is why the last two weeks have been very satisfying.

Even in our better years (08-10) I can't recall us either coming from behind to win or edging a close one. I remember close losses in finals, as well as close H&A losses to St. Kilda/Hawthorn/Geelong in this period.

I 'feel' as though we are a mentally stronger side than we were back then.

Coming from behind to beat GWS is one thing but coming from behind to beat a top 6 side is another. IMO I don't think our mental toughness has even been tested.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Richmond were 2 points off top four last year IIRC, and despite their average start to the year, barnstormed home in the second half last week. Our ability to hold on shouldn't be brushed under the carpet IMO.

Bigger tests to come, no doubt, but I have more confidence in this group responding to challenges.

FrediKanoute
14-04-2014, 07:32 PM
We have a long way to go. Yes conceivable we could do it and should be aiming for that, but I think the real goal this year is another season into the developing kids and further progression from against last year. If we finish higher, are competitive in more games and don't make the 8 that to me would be a pass mark for the season, If we make that 8 though, I think we will have to have done all the things I have said.

1eyedog
14-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Richmond were 2 points off top four last year IIRC, and despite their average start to the year, barnstormed home in the second half last week. Our ability to hold on shouldn't be brushed under the carpet IMO.

Bigger tests to come, no doubt, but I have more confidence in this group responding to challenges.

Thanks to Brandon Ellis we got across the line. Holding on against North would have been a good indicator. To me mental toughness won't be so much about how many games we win but whether can can hold our shape when we are being outplayed so we don't get blown away.

boydogs
14-04-2014, 09:26 PM
We do have an easy draw but I think we will be at least a few wins away this year

F'scary
14-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I admit, I have been going through the draw since the weekend - appreciate your thread but I think I'll follow the lead of Slim Pickens and just worry about Carton this week.

Mantis
14-04-2014, 09:57 PM
We do have an easy draw but I think we will be at least a few wins away this year

Yeah.. I think we should get to 8 pretty comfortably and then have probably another 5 or 6 where we could be a chance if we perform at our best, but I don't think we will get the 12 or 13 required.

Having to play GC up north in both games isn't helpful.

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2014, 10:15 PM
My hope for this year was that for most of the season we would be still in touch with the 8, but would almost certainly miss finals. A year that sets the scene for a more serious tilt in '15.

Momentum is a funny thing though. I'm so pleased that last year's late burst wasn't a mirage, but a sign of a building foundation. Let's enjoy the ride (but PLEASE let's beat the hated arrogant Blues).

SonofScray
14-04-2014, 10:45 PM
A flag in 2014 at this point in time is possible. I'm sticking with that one for now.

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2014, 10:49 PM
A flag in 2014 at this point in time is possible. I'm sticking with that one for now.

It's a running joke in our family that my mum always reminds us: We lost the first two games in 1954 when we won the premiership.

So I think you've called it early, but correctly!

GVGjr
14-04-2014, 10:52 PM
It's our goal scoring options that will dictate our ladder position. I fear that kicking 13 plus goals each week could be beyond us.
We just don't play consistent football over 4 quarters enough either.

We might catch a few teams off guard from time to time but unless we improve a fair bit during the course of the season then I think we will come up a bit short at the pointy end of the season.

If we can build some momentum like getting a win next week against the Blues then we might around the mark.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Won't be looking too far ahead. And have no expectation of finals this year.

HOWEVER....just to have a bit of fun with it....

Carlton this week....Adelaide after that. And Melbourne in round 8. All matches we would go to expecting to win.

If we are 5-3 heading into the bye....we will be in the 8. So it makes things a bit interesting with us still to play Melbourne again, Saints, Lions, Suns twice, and the Giants again.

If we are 5-3 heading into the bye I think we will have a reasonable chance of playing finals this year. Early wins help you set up your year. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Remi Moses
16-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Hate Beeing the killjoy, but just reckon we're not quite there.
When we get the flat patches ( which are shrinking) we look as B McCartney said "rubbish ".
Ten wins for mine

KT31
17-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Hate Beeing the killjoy, but just reckon we're not quite there.
When we get the flat patches ( which are shrinking) we look as B McCartney said "rubbish ".
Ten wins for mine

Have to agree with Remi, we still lack a full four quarter effort and not sure we are quite there with our execution yet.
Ten or 11 wins for mine as well.

Bulldog Joe
17-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I know there are plenty expressing the view that we are not ready and about 10 wins would be a great result.

Everytime I look at the fixture, I expect that anything less than 10 wins is unacceptable.

Realistically we have 2 wins now plus
2 games against Melbourne
1 further game against GWS
1 against St Kilda
1 against Brisbane
1 against Carlton

These are games we should win. That would bring us to 8 wins
Even a loss to Carlton would not mean finals are impossible.

Other winnable games are
Adelaide Round 6
Gold Coast x2
Port Adelaide (Round 14 - We have a brilliant record against them)

If we managed to win all of those we would be on 12 wins, without having caused a genuine upset.

We could sneak games over Sydney (were very competitive in 2013) and North (round 21)

I also wouldn't concede Collingwood.

Still see 13 wins is achievable.

Which of those games are just not winnable?

always right
17-04-2014, 05:39 PM
I know there are plenty expressing the view that we are not ready and about 10 wins would be a great result.

Everytime I look at the fixture, I expect that anything less than 10 wins is unacceptable.

1 against St Kilda
1 against Brisbane
1 against Carlton

Other winnable games are
Adelaide Round 6
Gold Coast x2

If we managed to win all of those we would be on 12 wins, without having caused a genuine upset.

We could sneak games over Sydney (were very competitive in 2013) and North (round 21)

Agree. Our soft draw means that making the finals is a real possibility, however I really don't consider us to be a finals side at this stage. If we make it, we make it but I see next year as our real finals opportunity.

Bulldog Joe
17-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Agree. Our soft draw means that making the finals is a real possibility, however I really don't consider us to be a finals side at this stage. If we make it, we make it but I see next year as our real finals opportunity.

This may be so, but the experience of getting there and maybe being competitive as Port Adelaide were last year (and as we were ourselves in 2006), would really put some confidence into the playing group and the club overall.

bornadog
17-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Next year is the real test of Macca as a coach. We have to play finals.

Eastdog
20-04-2014, 11:28 PM
If we play like we did today then we are no chance this year for finals. We need to lift.

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 12:36 AM

1 against St Kilda
1 against Brisbane
1 against Carlton

Other winnable games are
Adelaide Round 6
Gold Coast x2

Whilst I get your main point, I think it's too dependent on every single thing going right. Not likely for any team, even Hawthorn will drop a game or two they should've won this year.

chef
21-04-2014, 07:20 AM
No.

Still probably 2 seasons away

The Underdog
21-04-2014, 08:47 AM

1 against St Kilda
1 against Brisbane
1 against Carlton

Other winnable games are
Adelaide Round 6
Gold Coast x2

All of those games are winnable, but don't underestimate our capacity to lose any of them.
We've already blown the Carlton game. We lost to a Melbourne team last year that were much worse than this one. St.Kilda just upset a likely finals team and are outperforming expectations. Port Adelaide are currently a mile ahead of us which rankles. Both Gold Coast games are in Queensland. We'd be a 25% chance at best against Sydney and Collingwood. We're still solidly a bottom 6 side and 10 wins would be the upper end in my opinion. For every step forward there seems to be an equalising step back.

Eastdog
21-04-2014, 12:30 PM
All of those games are winnable, but don't underestimate our capacity to lose any of them.
We've already blown the Carlton game. We lost to a Melbourne team last year that were much worse than this one. St.Kilda just upset a likely finals team and are outperforming expectations. Port Adelaide are currently a mile ahead of us which rankles. Both Gold Coast games are in Queensland. We'd be a 25% chance at best against Sydney and Collingwood. We're still solidly a bottom 6 side and 10 wins would be the upper end in my opinion. For every step forward there seems to be an equalising step back.

We have to realise that while we are a team that is hopefully on the improve which will have good days we still we have our fair share of bad days too which was one of them yesterday. A lot of things have to go right for us if we are any chance for finals and losing yesterday to a Carlton side who hadn't won a game yet does not help.

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 12:36 PM
No.

Still probably 2 seasons away

Not this year. We are still a developing side but guys like Libba, minnow and Griff look like they will struggle to replicate last years efforts.