PDA

View Full Version : Dale Morris, one-match sanction with an early plea.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:25 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-14/mrp-full-statement-round-four

Dale Morris, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a Level Three tripping offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for tripping Will Hoskin-Elliott, Greater Western Sydney, during the first quarter of the Round Four match between the Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney, played at Startrack Oval on Saturday April 12, 2014.

In summary, due to a six-year good record, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Greater Western Sydney Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), high impact (three points) and body contact (one point). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Three Offence, drawing 225 demerit points. He has an existing six-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction.

Libba wasn't reviewed.

bornadog
14-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Gives him an extra week to recover from the ankle strain. It was a stupid act and he has paid the price.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:30 PM
People will be angry because others have got away with reprimands this season. But this is different because it caused injury to Hosken-Elliot.

It's a shame but a fair decision imo.

bornadog
14-04-2014, 05:34 PM
People will be angry because others have got away with reprimands this season. But this is different because it caused injury to Hosken-Elliot.

Agree with that.

Tripping is a serious thing. I will never forget how Fossey was tripped up by that dickhead from Hawthorn (whose name escapes me, was it Dear?) which wrecked his 1992 season and we ended up not having Fossy for the 1992 Prelim. Put Fossey in there against Brownless and we had a big chance to win and make the GF.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:36 PM
The week is fair. It's just frustrating that the panel places more emphasis on the end result rather than the intent ie. Riewoldt made exactly the same action when tripping Libba.

soupman
14-04-2014, 05:45 PM
The week is fair. It's just frustrating that the panel places more emphasis on the end result rather than the intent ie. Riewoldt made exactly the same action when tripping Libba.

Yeah I hate this as well. It puts too much of the penalty not on what the player tried to do but rather just how unlucky the player on the receiving end was.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah I hate this as well. It puts too much of the penalty not on what the player tried to do but rather just how unlucky the player on the receiving end was.

And didn't Merrett only get two weeks for his forearm to David Swallows face? It's just ludicrous.

WBFC4FFC
14-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Did Wellingham at the Weagles get anything in Rd:1 for the trip on JJ?!?! at least Morris tried to use his arms as well (showing it was a reflex action) whilst Wellingham tried to see how far he could stick his leg out!

The precedent was set in Rd: 1 (which I did not agree with at the time) but you can't change it a few weeks later. A total lack of consistency.

Scorlibo
14-04-2014, 06:24 PM
What crap. How can a reflex action be judged as 'reckless'? Every week some poor bloke accidentally trips someone and has to face the MRP. Don't get me wrong, intentional tripping should be met with severe penalties, but this is unavoidable. Penalising blokes isn't going to lessen the number of reflex trips.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 06:28 PM
How can Dale be suspended for a trip when Wellingham and Jack are not? Why does the injury get taken into account, it wasn't last year when Cameron ended JJ's season with a reckless charge. We all know he lined him up. MRP=JOKE

Cyberdoggie
14-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Whether you punch someone in the face with a feather punch or you do it Barry Hall style it matters.

If Barry got 1 or 2 weeks for decking Staker we'd all laugh, so it has to apply if you make more of an impact.

Maddog37
14-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Not happy with this. At least he also put his hand out to try and tackle as opposed to some of the others previously let go by the MRP. Total crap IMHO.

SonofScray
14-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Sorry Jaytee but that logic and acceptance of it is a blight on the game.

Why should the consequence of an act be reliant on the durability of the victim? Campbell Brown assaulted Callan Ward, a bloke with a notoriously hard head a few years ago. Had he have assaulted a bloke with a glass jaw, should he have been charged more heavily? It takes the emphasis off the act, a controllable and tangible thing and put the weight on what is effectively, chance. It isn't good enough and only encourages shit behaviour on the field.

Tripping is a serious act. Morris deserves his week off for potentially injuring an opponent with an illegal act as per the rules of the game which should draw a free kick, 50m and report on the spot depending on the context. Wellingham, Riedwoldt and Morris have committed the same act. They'd all argue the in vogue and often validated "it was a reflex" and the media who love letting people get away with shit behaviour because of a boys club attitude, or they're too scared to call it out, will agree. Reflex or not, that act deserves a penalty. They all have capacity to injure, seriously. Only one player will miss weeks though. This, even factoring in weighting system and good behaviour allowances, of which I'm certain Morris would have much greater access to than his aforementioned comrades.

Anyway, next time I go play footy, I think I'll go stomp on a bloke's back. But not too hard. Maybe not just any bloke, maybe J. Brown because he can take it. Or pull someones' hair? Or "jumper" punch someone. Then I can sit back and snigger at some bloke who will get weeks for a well executed bump where the opponent's head hits the turf and they get a concussion.

Mark Fraser, the MRP the people who lobbied for it, the people who value it. Get out of the game, now. You're all imbeciles.

lemmon
14-04-2014, 07:08 PM
May miss a week with injury anyway so I don't see the point reviewing and rolling the dice

Remi Moses
14-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't get how the injury is of any significance.
It's basically a luck situation.
It's inconsistent. Mayne two weeks, Merrett 2 weeks?
I think they'll accept the verdict, but a trip is a trip.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Consistency??

Scraggers
14-04-2014, 08:14 PM

I agree it was worthy of a week, but I disagree it was because the GWS player got injured that it deserves a suspension. A trip is a trip. You do it, you face sanction. The same sanction every week. Week in week out.

There should be no change based on how hard he hit. A hit is a hit.

ledge
14-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Maybe a godsend , stops us risking him this week with a tender ankle.
He gets the week off he should have anyway to recover.

boydogs
14-04-2014, 09:19 PM
It was pretty forceful contact, fair call IMO.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm a bit disappointed some of the gws antics weren't looked at.
Toby Greene is something else masquerading as a footballer

bornadog
14-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I agree it was worthy of a week, but I disagree it was because the GWS player got injured that it deserves a suspension. A trip is a trip. You do it, you face sanction. The same sanction every week. Week in week out.

Don't agree. Should the punishment for a soft tap on the chin be the same as a hard punch?

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 11:49 PM

I agree with you, it shouldn't take into account the injury the other play sustains. However we talk about consistency and this has been the MRP's way of deciding sanctions for numerous years now.

Whether it's right or wrong, it's how the system works. Works being a very loose term.

SonofScray
15-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Don't agree. Should the punishment for a soft tap on the chin be the same as a hard punch?

If it is a deliberate punch, yes.

Happy Days
15-04-2014, 01:26 AM
They stuffed up the other two and got this one right, so I'm sort of (?) good with it I guess.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Dog accepts one-week ban for tripping

G-Mo77
15-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Just goes to show you can kick our players and get away with it, our players do the same and get suspended.

Wellingham, Riewoldt and Morris all should have got the same dam penalty.

Mofra
15-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Wellingham, Riewoldt and Morris all should have got the same dam penalty.
The first two were worth a week (pre any plea), Morris' worth two considering both players were subbed out (which it was pre-plea).

All should have been looked at

G-Mo77
15-04-2014, 08:26 PM
The first two were worth a week (pre any plea), Morris' worth two considering both players were subbed out (which it was pre-plea).

All should have been looked at

I don't disagree but IMHO out of all 3, Wellingham seemed to have more malice than anyone. He literally kicked JJ's legs intentionally. Morris' was a little different, both players were moving so quick the outcome was going to be bad, reactive accident, one week is a fair whack.

The result of kicking someones leg can be disastrous (see Peter Foster). The AFL were typical with their reactive BS suspensions, there was an injury so someone has to get rubbed out. If they weren't so gutless they'd be on the front foot Round 1 and setting a precedent any time this happens, instant suspension no ifs, buts or maybes.

ratsmac
15-04-2014, 09:14 PM
This is how I see it. If someone did an armed robbery and the loot was only $100, and another person also did an armed robbery but their loot was $10,000, does the first person get a reprimand because he did get much?

Dale tripped someone and deserves a week IMO, but it is bull5hit that the precedent had been set regarding tripping and Dale cops 2 weeks. Lucky for his good record he ended up with 1.

Twodogs
15-04-2014, 10:06 PM
I agree with ledge. If ever there was a good time for a player to have a week off this is it.

Hotdog60
15-04-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm a bit disappointed some of the gws antics weren't looked at.
Toby Greene is something else masquerading as a footballer

What a girl (sorry to the female woofers). When do men pull hair, he deserves the a fair and square shirt front.