PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday Footy, it's our time

Ozza
15-04-2014, 02:59 PM
On both Footy Classified and Talking Footy last night - there was a mention that it is becoming very likely that the AFL will announce shortly that North Melbourne will play the Bulldogs as a twilight fixture next season, on Good Friday.

The match would be linked in with the Good Friday appeal.

Personally, I think this would be a big win for the club.

Interested in other views...

Eastdog
15-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Carlton CEO Greg Swann says Blues and North Melbourne to play Good Friday fixture in 2015
Warwick Green

Herald Sun
April 12, 2014 1:21PM

CARLTON chief executive Greg Swann said supporters could lock in that Carlton would play North Melbourne in a Round 1 twilight match on Good Friday next season.

“Lock it in,” Swann told Triple M radio on Saturday.

Swann said the two teams had been working with the AFL for several seasons to organise a 4.30pm Good Friday match, after which the two captains and coaches would hand over a cheque to the Royal Children’s Hospital during the televised Good Friday Appeal.

“We nearly got (the match) up two, maybe three seasons ago before Andrew Demetriou put the kibosh on it,” Swann said.

He acknowledged that the match could signal the end of the recent tradition of the Blues playing Richmond in a Round 1 match at the MCG.

bornadog
15-04-2014, 03:52 PM
On both Footy Classified and Talking Footy last night - there was a mention that it is becoming very likely that the AFL will announce shortly that North Melbourne will play the Bulldogs as a twilight fixture next season, on Good Friday.

The match would be linked in with the Good Friday appeal.

Personally, I think this would be a big win for the club.

Interested in other views...

Yes please - would it be played at Eithad or MCG?

bornadog
15-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Carlton CEO Greg Swann says Blues and North Melbourne to play Good Friday fixture in 2015
Warwick Green

Herald Sun
April 12, 2014 1:21PM

CARLTON chief executive Greg Swann said supporters could lock in that Carlton would play North Melbourne in a Round 1 twilight match on Good Friday next season..

Swann is a wanker

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Hopefully it is us and North.

How much more exposure does Carlton need? They have enough prime time 'big' games. It would be nice to see the AFL create a spot for two lower profile teams, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it.

If it is Carlton, all this talk about equalization etc. is rubbish.

Twodogs
15-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Swann is a wanker

Bruce Mathieson has put the mark of Cain on his forehead.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/13/bruce-mathieson-calls-for-carlton-chief-executive-greg-swann-to-be-sacked

Maybe we can send him a ticket to the game.

Ozza
15-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Hopefully it is us and North.

How much more exposure does Carlton need? They have enough prime time 'big' games. It would be nice to see the AFL create a spot for two lower profile teams, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it.

If it is Carlton, all this talk about equalization etc. is rubbish.

Caroline Wilson said it would be North v Dogs - and did make a reference to equalisation. I just hope she is on the money with this aspect. Would be great for us to be involved in a game that would be on free to air, likely have a huge television audience and hopefully a solid attendance.

I would be assuming it will take place at Etihad based on a number of factors.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I would love footy on GF. Channel 7 would have to re-jig their telethon though, but that's not our concern.

Twodogs
15-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Isn't 7 based at at Etihad? It's where they host the appeal.

It makes sense to play the game there.

SlimPickens
15-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Absolutely and depending on the time of year Easter is, the G maybe tied up with the cricket.
I really hope it is us but regardless it will be great to have footy on Good Friday.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2014, 05:43 PM

It should be, 50,000 at Etihad is a massive buzz, 50,000 at the G is underwhelming for a blockbuster. I think poorly I was saying 2.5 hours of no name former 'home and away' 'stars' and celebrity no bodies reading out $5 donations "or double if you read it out" will have to be set aside for footy.

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 07:22 PM
On SEN this morning they were talking about how to integrate the good friday appeal at the game, and a suggestion from Tim Watson was to "Have one of the kids at the hospital toss the coin to start the game" I thought was a brilliant idea. Hope the head honchos heard it also.

I think something like that would be great with a couple crossovers here n there.

If im not away for Easter (like I am this year) I would attend, it would also give us something to do on probably the most "boring" public holidays of the year.

Throughandthrough
15-04-2014, 08:08 PM
The good old Camry crows have decided that they would like to play on Good Friday as well.

Hotdog60
15-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Absolutely and depending on the time of year Easter is, the G maybe tied up with the cricket.
I really hope it is us but regardless it will be great to have footy on Good Friday.

If it's not us playing the AFL can shove GF footy. I don't want to see another rich club reap the rewards.

SlimPickens
15-04-2014, 10:38 PM
If it's not us playing the AFL can shove GF footy. I don't want to see another rich club reap the rewards.

That's the spirit.

Hotdog60
15-04-2014, 10:59 PM
That's the spirit.

Also because the dogs are my religion and it would be sacrilegious not to have them play.:)

bulldogtragic
15-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Also because the dogs are my religion and it would be sacrilegious not to have them play.:)

Amen brother.

lemmon
16-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Great fit for the two sides who bill themselves as the 'community clubs', tie it in with the appeal and it's a terrific PR boost. We have to pack out the ground though, it does more harm than good if all we draw is another 25k crowd like the one that turned up in Round 2

Remi Moses
16-04-2014, 12:51 AM
We'll well well, all this nonsense about equalisation and the big boys like the Adelaide Ravens and Caaaarlton get in on the act.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-05-2014, 11:37 AM
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl-boss...0/default.aspx (http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl-boss-considers-good-friday-football/tabid/91/newsid/130290/default.aspx)

hopefully we are one of those clubs!

i think North v Dogs would be able to pull decent crowds. We did have almost 29,000 at a Sunday twilight game in round 2 this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Sounds promising.

anfo27
06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl-boss...0/default.aspx (http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl-boss-considers-good-friday-football/tabid/91/newsid/130290/default.aspx)

hopefully we are one of those clubs!

i think North v Dogs would be able to pull decent crowds. We did have almost 29,000 at a Sunday twilight game in round 2 this year.

There is no smaller club than us so that sounds very promising. If we were to get it then i think all bulldog members have to commit to going even if it is an away game. Fingers crossed!

LostDoggy
07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
I knew I liked that bloke, c'mon Gill give us and the Roo's the game!

Would make perfect sense to start the game at Etihad and if it outgrows it fantastic, it can always be moved. What is clear from the past is that once these traditional games become established, there is no changing them, so we NEED to do do everything humanly possible now to make this happen.

Wish JB and the Roos would get their head out of their arses aswell bedding with Carlton. Bit hypocritical for them to say they deserve the game because they are a struggling club, then try and hook up with a larger club so they can kill the pig!

bornadog
16-06-2014, 04:30 PM
The AFL Commission has approved for the scheduling of a match on Good Friday. The Executive will determine if to play on that day next year.

The AFL Commission has not yet determined which teams may play on Good Friday, nor in which state.

Webby
16-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Hopefully the timing of this announcement is suspiciously aligned to our big win over the biggest club in the country - thus suddenly making us "relevant"!!

As opposed to everyone saying "why them!!??"

hotdog
16-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Caro has tweeted it will likely be Dogs v Roos. I think that is a great result if it pans out that way. North give me the s**ts with their attitude on this. Apparently they came up with the idea and they should play Carlton and thats it. I always had a soft spot for the Roos. It was a connection/ bond of one battling club to another. For me since JB has taken the reigns there they seem to try very hard to shake their working class identity which I think is a shame. I would much rather our approach of winning the west etc. Port Adelaide use their working class background to their advantage and I see us also making inroads. Anyway I would love to see us playing anybody on Good Friday.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Fingers crossed, would be massive for both us and North.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Fingers crossed, would be massive for both us and North.

Can I make a joke about other people being crossed for Good Friday or is that too far?

Feel free to delete if that's a bridge to far. Apologies if anyone's offended.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Caro has tweeted it will likely be Dogs v Roos. I think that is a great result if it pans out that way. North give me the s**ts with their attitude on this. Apparently they came up with the idea and they should play Carlton and thats it. I always had a soft spot for the Roos. It was a connection/ bond of one battling club to another. For me since JB has taken the reigns there they seem to try very hard to shake their working class identity which I think is a shame. I would much rather our approach of winning the west etc. Port Adelaide use their working class background to their advantage and I see us also making inroads. Anyway I would love to see us playing anybody on Good Friday.

Is the real Caro on twitter now? Gillon saying because of the cricket World Cup next year there might be no Good Friday game next year as it would be the opening game plus ground condition/availability...

Happy Days
17-06-2014, 12:30 AM
If Caro's spouting it then put a big black line through it. The only way I would be more certain it wasn't happening is if Greg Denham were saying it.

jeemak
20-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Jesus Christ. The new CEO thinks a game in Sydney between Melbourne ad Sydney would be great for Good Friday.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-boss-gillon-mclachlan-backs-good-friday-game-in-sydney-20140620-zsgb8.html

We'll beat Melbourne twice this year, the Roos will play finals and Melbourne will have 2 games on public holidays in 2015.

What a load of horse shit.

Go_Dogs
20-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Expected outcome (us being denied) I'm not even annoyed. It's trademark AFL.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Unless they plan on taking Melbourne out of the Queens Birthday game and giving it to us, then this makes no sense.

jeemak
20-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Expected outcome (us being denied) I'm not even annoyed. It's trademark AFL.

I'm more incredulous about Melbourne being touted as deserving of another public holiday game, seemingly based on their good form.

Eastdog
20-06-2014, 05:49 PM
They have already got Queens Birthday why do they need this one as well. Unfair on us if they do get it.

Go_Dogs
20-06-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm more incredulous about Melbourne being touted as deserving of another public holiday game, seemingly based on their good form.

I get that.

Much like GC and GWS, the AFL have a vested (financial) interest in Melbourne turning it around.

LostDoggy
20-06-2014, 06:05 PM
The only good thing about this is Norf will be PISSSSSSED :)

I'd be up for a Adelaide v WB game that rotated between Adelaide and Etihad each year. That would really annoy Norf. Two games on Good Friday without a look in.

<insert large emoticom thumbs up......>

Pickenitup
20-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Geez The Paul Roos love feast is making me sick Melbourne playing attractive Footy give me a spell.

bornadog
20-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Geez The Paul Roos love feast is making me sick Melbourne playing attractive Footy give me a spell.

Those three big goals against the Pies were so exciting :D

jeemak
20-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Those three big goals against the Pies were so exciting :D

It's the whole Emperor's New Clothes BS that annoys me the most. It's crap.

Remi Moses
20-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Wonderful. Is this April fools day?
Can't wait to see Melbourne's 3 goals ! Just Wow

jeemak
21-06-2014, 12:22 AM
St Kilda averages more goals than Melbourne this year, 9.2 to 9.0.

We average 12.1 and Brisbane average 10.0.

That's some exciting footy right there. I know the figures for Melbourne are skewed by their three goal performance from earlier in the year (a performance that still saw the commentators of the day CREAM themselves over their new found direction and the closeness of the game), but really, I can't see this as anything other than ridiculous and another reason why somebody with influence needs to call bullshit against the AFL in a very public way.

The lighter side of me thinks Gillon is just using this potential fixture as tool to suggest the Good Friday game isn't a done deal, but really, there's too many ducks lined up to not think this is just another nail in the equalisation coffin.

We're being screwed, as is North and St Kilda.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-06-2014, 01:33 AM
.. .Laughable.

Scorlibo
21-06-2014, 03:00 AM
Does McLachlan think that the Sydney public are idiots? They know that half the competition is made up of Melbourne clubs, just like we know that half the NRL is made up of Sydney clubs. Who here would see Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm as a marquee game in the NRL? You can't engineer rivalries simply with the club names. Maybe our first 'big game' will be against West Coast, marketed as the battle of the West? What a joke.

The Sydney as hosts thing is frustrating but at least it has logic behind it.

lemmon
21-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Does McLachlan think that the Sydney public are idiots? They know that half the competition is made up of Melbourne clubs, just like we know that half the NRL is made up of Sydney clubs. Who here would see Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm as a marquee game in the NRL? You can't engineer rivalries simply with the club names. Maybe our first 'big game' will be against West Coast, marketed as the battle of the West? What a joke.

The Sydney as hosts thing is frustrating but at least it has logic behind it.

If this occurs I've lost a lot of respect for the man after he trumpeted equalisation and having the game between two 'community' clubs. The thinking here is nothing short of transparent greed, Sydney are the goose that laid the golden egg at the moment- glamour players galore, successful, attractive footy, crowd numbers are up and most importantly growth potential. I guarantee if it wasn't Sydney they'd have given it to Port, the only difference is there is more potential fans to be had in Sydney. The whole 'Sydney v Melbourne city rivalry' is crap and we all know it.

Good Friday Footy has gone from an equalisation tool to another marketing gimmick in the expansion states, if we thought McLachlan would bring the dawn of an equitable day it looks like we are very wrong.

bornadog
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
No Good Friday in 2015 due to Cricket World cup

GVGjr
03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
We need to get this back onto the agenda with the AFL. We have now proved we have the drawing power and both the media and public support to make this a huge success.

Time for all those with Twitter to start pushing our claims to be right at the front of Good Friday games.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 08:01 PM
We need to get this back onto the agenda with the AFL. We have now proved we have the drawing power and both the media and public support to make this a huge success.

Time for all those with Twitter to start pushing our claims to be right at the front of Good Friday games.

Ooohh. Great idea, strike while the iron is hot!! Who are we hitting up?

GVGjr
03-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Ooohh. Great idea, strike while the iron is hot!! Who are we hitting up?

Lets give it a day or so but surely Stevo, Barrett, Ralph, Gullan, Robinson and Landsberger would look favorably at pushing a story as good as half written for them. We need to milk the momentum we have for all it's worth.

Next stop is the Ballarat redevelopment. They need to pump up the capacity now not start talking about it in 6 months time

Twodogs
03-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Good Friday at a packed Etihad v North? Are they our preferred oppononents?

GVGjr
03-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Good Friday at a packed Etihad v North? Are they our preferred oppononents?

As long as it's our home game then North would be a good opponent.

Remember when we played then in the round 6 top of the table clash (Norths home game) they allowed us to fill one of the coterie rooms because they couldn't. BAD and I caught up at that game.