PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 5

Eastdog
15-04-2014, 05:09 PM
This is the round 5 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Bankers:

1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Crameri, forgetting the miss in the last
3. Marcus Bontempelli

Anchors:

1. Libba got owned, I hope he learns how to deal with these sorts of tags because every other coach saw the game.
2. Minson. Was it the worst game he's ever played?
3. Williams, Wallis, Stringer and others. Sorry boys, but that was below, below average.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Bankers.
1. Griffen tried his heart out.
2. Dahlhaus was at time creative, and busy -when he was in frame to win possession
3. Bontempelli - well done young man on a lively debut game.

Anchors

1. Our Defense. Young just loses concentration too much, Williams gave so much latitude to his man at times I wasn't sure who he was actually on. Gosh we need Morris and Roughead back.

2.The Effort is Optional Brigade Cooney, Stringer, Dahlhaus- how many times I just saw them pretend to chase, or in a couple of cases that eventually resulted in Carlton goals, just not even bother following their man forward... was pathetic.

3. Minson, that may just be the worst game I've seen from a Bulldogs ruckman, since Nic Bruton pulled on a guernsey. Warnock is a spud, yet at time's you'd think the Cheats had Polly Farmer, Simon Madden, Peter Moore, rolled into one running around out there.

Remi Moses
20-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Bankers - Griffen ( thought he dragged us into it)
Crameri( besides a few dropped marks and a howler of a miss)
Macrae( thought he found his way back into the game in the second half)
Bonts( great debut, thought his ball handling and distribution were first class)

Anchors Minson ( that was his pre 2013 form) he stank it up.
Williams ( it is a body contact sport, thought he was playing touch footy )
Libba ( gotta work the tag harder)
Wallis ( thought he got lost to often)
The lack of accountability of the midfield killed us in the first half.
We allowed them to play on their own terms, and mids didn't help the backs out at all.
Poor poor performance, and we have to bring effort, tackling and intensity on a more consistent level.
Just can't pick and choose effort

Rance Fan
20-04-2014, 09:33 PM
bankers
Crameri - kicked a number of goals which was great
Macrae - never gave in and tried hard all match
Griffen - getting back to top form

Anchors
Minson - should of dominated today but didnt
Williams - nfi - no frickin idea!
Cooney - just not enough often enough

always right
20-04-2014, 09:37 PM
B
1. Griffen....tried his heart out today and continued to take the game on.....not always successfully but started to look closer to the Griffen we love.
2. Bontempelli....struggled to get into the game but the longer it went, the better he looked. Very impressive.
3. Crameri....needs to eliminate the howlers but he was by far our most dangerous forward.

A
1. Sorry Will but that's two games in a row you've been dominated.
2. Williams....goes to ground with the slightest contact in a contest
3. Wallis....got out worked time and time again

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Bankers:
1. Griffen looked much better, tried hard.
2. Dahlhaus was one of few prepared to apply defensive pressure.
3. Bontempelli got better as the game wore on.

Anchors:
1. MC and McCartney for terrible squad selection and terrible match day tactics (again).
2. Minson for getting a bath from a potato like Warnock.
3. Midfield's complete lack of accountability and defensive pressure.

The bulldog tragician
20-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Bankers
Crameri is a bit better each week. Very much what we need.
McRae apart from the dreadful miss at goal.
Griffen - a big hearted performance with little support.

Anchors
Not much more can be said about Minsons game
Match committee seemed to have it wrong, and didn't react quickly - Wallis off too late. (is anyone else becoming concerned that Wallis, for all his undoubted endeavor, is very slow and without elite kicking, just doesn't offer enough?)
Defense - agh, poor Tommy, what can I say? I thought Talia and Young slowly improved but Dale left a gaping hole. I have to say in the first half, the defense got little help from the mids who didn't work hard enough leaving wide open spaces. Disappointing.

Is no one going to pot the umpires? It's always a cheap excuse and I'm not saying its why we lost but the diabolical inconsistency infuriated me. They put in a shocker.

Remi Moses
20-04-2014, 10:16 PM
There's two things that irk me the most .
The interference of forwards has gone from soft free kicks, to almost players having WWF manoeuvres performed on them.
Holding the ball and the perfect tackle isn't paid anymore.

Greystache
20-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Bankers

Bontempelli- Was put under the pump several times by panicking team mates but always remained composed

Crameri- Will be a frsutrating player at times, but he's starting to find some very good form.

Griffen- Worked hard and is starting to move a bit more freely.

Anchors

Where to start

Wallis- When he can't shutdown a player he is a bit of a liability in the team. He's slow, can't kick, and can't make a decision. He gives it everything he has but he's a very limited player. Bit of a concern for me, especially as we have so many who are similar.

Minson- He's getting beaten week in week out. I don't rate pure tap ruckmen, but he's not even doing that well at the moment.

Williams- Can't play in defence. I know we're short on options but Easton Wood is a better key defender. Probably more of an anchor to the MC

Could have another dozen in there.

Eastdog
20-04-2014, 10:21 PM
How about Jones? More banker or more anchor

azabob
20-04-2014, 10:22 PM
How about Jones? More banker or more anchor

I'd say banker again. What do you think?

always right
20-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Drifted in and out today but did some terrific things and worked pretty hard. Shame he will be suspended.

Eastdog
20-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I'd say banker again. What do you think?

I reckon more banker as well. He did some good things today.

boydogs
20-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Bankers
1. Crameri continues to hit the scoreboard as our best forward
2. Bontempelli's trick of standing up in a tackle and using his height and reach to get a powerful handball away from the congestion
3. Griffen had much more run today, kept us in it

Anchors
1. Tall defenders continually beaten in marking contests. We looked better when Morris and Wood had to play tall
2. Minson allowing Warnock clean takeaways
3. Libba tagged out of it, we missed his clearances today

AndrewP6
20-04-2014, 10:43 PM
B
Crameri, working into some very good form. Now if only he could hold onto the pill!
Bontempelli - congratulations on a fine first game, a lot to look forward to with this lad.
Griff- moving much better.

A
MC - poor match day non-moves.
Wallis - ditto with everyone else
Willlbur - as poor a game as I've seen him play.

G-Mo77
20-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Bankers
Griffen. Looked great today.
Crameri apart from that miss on his fifth I think hard to fault him
Hard not to get excited about the prospect that is The Bont

Anchors
AFL can go _ themselves with these Sunday twighlight games.
Umpiring pathetic. Around 150 tackles laid today I bet there was one or two legitimate HTB decisions (Not counting weak stacks on calls)
$6.50 for a bucket of chips? I hope the serving staff are being paid $80k a year.

F'scary
20-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Bankers: Bontempelli - stunning debut. Shamed a number of his senior colleagues.

Anchors: Higgins - just coasted - can I retract the votes I gave him last week; Stringer - a couple of nice things a game is not nearly enough to hold a spot in the side for one round, let alone 5; Cooney - no leadership shown. One could keep going with a few of the others.

LostDoggy
20-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Bankers

Crameri, Griffen, Dahlhaus - not sure what order and they all did good and bad things
Congrats to bonti's debut - it gets better than that rubbish son; promise ya.

Anchors

Umpires - seriously number 29 you are a total nobhead. They barracked for the blues all day
Minno - no, just...., no. Get your knees into him or something. Got monstered
Young - worst game I've seen him play. Destroyed
Midfield in general with some (fluctuating) apologies. Work to do. The myths didn't match the reality today. Thank god Griff is getting match fit and will be on the up.

Hotdog60
20-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Bankers
Griffen. Looked great today.
Crameri apart from that miss on his fifth I think hard to fault him
Hard not to get excited about the prospect that is The Bont

Anchors
AFL can go _ themselves with these Sunday twighlight games.
Umpiring pathetic. Around 150 tackles laid today I bet there was one or two legitimate HTB decisions (Not counting weak stacks on calls)
$6.50 for a bucket of chips? I hope the serving staff are being paid $80k a year.

Cooney late in the game was held in the marking contest and then got pushed in the back all for play on.:mad:

G-Mo77
20-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Cooney late in the game was held in the marking contest and then got pushed in the back all for play on.:mad:

We'd be here all night if we singled out what was missed. They were awful, I'm becoming more composed at the footy and cheer more than yell about what doesn't go our way. Right now feel like I swallowed razor blades from yelling. Even if we got up and won I'd be still angry about those pimples. Honestly it makes me not want to go.

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Bankers:

1. The Bontlemaker.
2. Cramers.
3. Minson. The sneaky plan of our midfield studying Warnock's patterns and sharking his hitouts nearly came off.

Anchors
I could give plenty, but I'm not gonna, save one: the moronic Dogs supporter who had a verbal altercation with a Blues fan in Aisle 28, walked off steaming, then waited for him and belted the bloke. Poor guy was with kids too, his approx-10-year-old nephew terrified and crying.
Hope they take your membership away. Collingwood or Essendon is where you belong, that's not what the Dogs are about.

Eastdog
21-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Bankers:

1. The Bontlemaker.
2. Cramers.
3. Minson. The sneaky plan of our midfield studying Warnock's patterns and sharking his hitouts nearly came off.

Anchors
I could give plenty, but I'm not gonna, save one: the moronic Dogs supporter who had a verbal altercation with a Blues fan in Aisle 28, walked off steaming, then waited for him and belted the bloke. Poor guy was with kids too, his approx-10-year-old nephew terrified and crying.
Hope they take your membership away. Collingwood or Essendon is where you belong, that's not what the Dogs are about.

Not good to hear. That stuff shouldn't be happening at all. Sure we are all disappointed with tonight but there are certain lines that should not be crossed.

AndrewP6
21-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Anchors

Very poor indeed.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Anchors

If you know his seat number, you could report him either to the club or to the anti-social behavior SMS number at Etihad (next time if you can't remember it).

Scorlibo
21-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Anchors

Not good but I sympathise with the frustration. I was just thinking while steaming off towards southern cross that if an arrogant blues fan got in my way that I probably wouldn't be able to resist walking right through them. Particularly disappointing to do that in front of the kids though.

Bankers

Griffen - took the game on.
Boyd - another good game.
Crameri - showed some fire when the rest of the team had forgotten their pride. Also kicked 4.

Anchors

Jong - another poor game, how long can we carry this guy? Pretty plain to me that he's not up to AFL standard and never will be, too slow to make the quick decisions.
The Defensive Unit - 18 goals from 50 entries is a bad day at the office.
Macrae - 30 possessions and no venom, plus missed a golden opportunity which proved to be the turning point in the game.

Remi Moses
21-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Bit harsh on Macrae . Thought his second half was very good, although that was an awful miss.

Eastdog
21-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Bit harsh on Macrae . Thought his second half was very good, although that was an awful miss.

What did you make of Higgins game RM? Yeah Macrae is still in his infancy with us but the signs early suggest he'll be a very good player.

Remi Moses
21-04-2014, 02:46 AM
Didn't think he was as influential as he has been.
The back line was poor, but wasn't helped by a poor work ethic from the mids.

jeemak
21-04-2014, 06:50 AM
We'd be here all night if we singled out what was missed. They were awful, I'm becoming more composed at the footy and cheer more than yell about what doesn't go our way. Right now feel like I swallowed razor blades from yelling. Even if we got up and won I'd be still angry about those pimples. Honestly it makes me not want to go.

It's the ones they miss rather than the ones they give that really annoy me. When they go the technical route for one side, and completely ignore what happens to the other I get extremely frustrated if the tide is going against us. I'm very much in the same boat as you with my voice, and not wanting to go. The game must be much harder to umpire than it looks from the sidelines, it has to be.

Bankers:

- Griff return to form. Need him to build on that performance

- Bontempelli's composed debut. I really liked the way he moved and his ability not to panick in close

- Crameri's game was excellent, aside from the odd dropped mark and his final shot on goal

Anchors:

- Giansiracusa let himself down a touch with a lack of surety with handling and by foot. It cost us a few goals today

- Midfield set-up and pressure around contests. This is part MC and part player fault. The MC didn't go defencive enough and the players didn't position themselves properly when it was clear Carlton were getting goal side too often. We handed it on a plate with the second possession out of a contest too often being clear leaving our defenders who were performing poorly exposed

- Too many players not getting the basics right. Early on I was critical of a couple of players not holding simple marks or thinking their way through what to do with ball in hand. Later in the game it was the fiddling around with over use when a more direct route would have given an opportunity to score

The attitude in the first half of the game smacked of a team that thinks it's a little better than what it is, and thinks it's able to move away from an intense brand of football to win. I hope that gets knocked out of them this week.

Ozza
21-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Bankers:
Griffen - good to see him back as a genuine mid giving us some drive.
Dahlhaus- one of the few that was very clean below his knees.
Crameri- work rate was great.

Anchors:
Williams was terrible.
Stringer- miles off it right at the moment despite 1 or 2 flashes of good play.
Minson- again only 1 mark around the ground. Needs to be more involved- especially when getting beaten in the middle.

always right
21-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Not good but I sympathise with the frustration. I was just thinking while steaming off towards southern cross that if an arrogant blues fan got in my way that I probably wouldn't be able to resist walking right through them. Particularly disappointing to do that in front of the kids though.

I don't care how frustrated anyone gets. I hate this sort of situation......one punch away from a ten year old without an uncle.

SonofScray
21-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Bankers:
Jones - continued good form, sans scoreboard rewards. Took a few good marks up the ground as a 'get out' man and took some heavy pressure.

Crameri - plays with really clear intent.

Griffen - found a yard and some poise, still not at 100% but with minimal support, made things happen.

ANCHORS:

Wilbur - I love Will, it must be hard mentally to get up when you've got a huge workload for 18 or so weeks in front of you. He's copping extra attention, looks to be labouring, playing as a solo ruck and still getting screwed by the umpires. Its all added up to him looking ordinary against ordinary opposition. Huge challenge for him to find something.

Cooney - needed to step up and get first to the footy and start hitting the scoreboard. Missed opportunities late which IMO were crucial to the result.

Williams - should be better than a 5 goal defender against Henderson. Not all the defence's fault as the ball came in quick from all angles but Tom did not assert himself on the contest at all.

Doc26
21-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Anchors

Jong - another poor game, how long can we carry this guy? Pretty plain to me that he's not up to AFL standard and never will be, too slow to make the quick decisions.
Macrae - 30 possessions and no venom, plus missed a golden opportunity which proved to be the turning point in the game.

Of all the sub standard blokes we had going around last night you elect to single out Jackson for a pot shot. I'm sorry but Jackson is no anchor in this company.

1eyedog
21-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Bankers

Crameri, Griffen, Dahlhaus - not sure what order and they all did good and bad things
Congrats to bonti's debut - it gets better than that rubbish son; promise ya.

Anchors

Umpires - seriously number 29 you are a total nobhead. They barracked for the blues all day
Minno - no, just...., no. Get your knees into him or something. Got monstered
Young - worst game I've seen him play. Destroyed
Midfield in general with some (fluctuating) apologies. Work to do. The myths didn't match the reality today. Thank god Griff is getting match fit and will be on the up.

Pretty unfair. He was ok when the ball hit the deck but what do you expect with the ball zooming in at will? He was under the pump because of their spread and our lack of pressure and he is not a key position player. I'm sick of turning small guys (yes Young is tallish but struggles to stand up in a contest against a 6'5 bloke who is close to 100kg) into KPP.

always right
21-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Of all the sub standard blokes we had going around last night you elect to single out Jackson for a pot shot. I'm sorry but Jackson is no anchor in this company.

Agree...."no venom"? Also interested in the observation that Jong will never be AFL standard. Just an opinion I guess but I recall making a similar statement about Daniel Cross.:o

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 11:01 AM

I was frustrated too. I hate Carlton, and hate their fans. But I still shook hands with them after the game, if only to show them that I'm better than they are.

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Bankers:
1. Crameri: Played with intent and a bit of mongrel and impacted the scoreboard.
2. Griffen: Kept us in it with his drive and determination.
3. Bontempelli: Strong and smart in the contest. Tired as the game went on but kept getting to the right spots.

Anchors:
1. Stringer: Has to be dropped. Offered us absolutely nothing all year.
2. Minson: Dominated for the second week in a row by B-grade ruckmen at best.
3. Williams: While last week might have been his best game for the Club, this might have been his worst.

comrade
21-04-2014, 11:25 AM
3. Williams: While last week might have been his best game for the Club, this might have been his worst.

If last week represents the best we'll get out of Williams, we really need to consider his future. He is an absolute liability against anyone who is prepared to use the slightest of body contact. A defender's first objective is to stay on his feet to ensure he can impact a contest. Williams fails this simple task, over and over to the point of embarrassment.

Scorlibo
21-04-2014, 01:27 PM

Agree...."no venom"? Also interested in the observation that Jong will never be AFL standard. Just an opinion I guess but I recall making a similar statement about Daniel Cross.:o

You have to understand the role that Jackson is now playing in the side. He is fed most of his possessions, he is an outside mid, and he is trusted with doing something creative with the ball that others have won. When I see 30 Macrae touches, 6 contested, that reads to me: 24 opportunities given, 6 opportunities made. It's my view that yesterday instead of giving us the trademark Macrae dare, he didn't take the opportunities he was given to take the game on and set up scoring opportunities. The shot he missed he should have handballed over the top. You might say I'm being harsh, but these are the type of conversations he will have with the coaches during the week. My interpretation of the bankers and anchors thread is that we give nominations to 3 players who helped us out this week and 3 who let us down. I don't have to nominate the three players who let us down the most (fyi, Jack wouldn't be included in the 10 who let us down the most), but everyone deserves some heat after that sort of loss, and Jack needs to improve on that performance, not settle into bad habits.

re: Jong, tell me how I'm wrong! The difference between Daniel Cross and Jong is that Crossy had a fantastic footy brain and constantly made good decisions. Jongy doesn't.

I was frustrated too. I hate Carlton, and hate their fans. But I still shook hands with them after the game, if only to show them that I'm better than they are.

And that's the right attitude. Starting fights over footy games, especially where children are involved, is disgraceful, immature behaviour. I sympathise with the frustration, but not the course of action.

SonofScray
21-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Anchors:
1. Stringer: Has to be dropped. Offered us absolutely nothing all year.

I think so to. I was surprised Mac pumped his tyres up a bit in the presser, I really rate Stringer and think he will deliver in spades, with time. Right now though he needs a reality check, which involves going back and getting a kick in the twos. Get some focus and a harder edge into his game, get first to the contest regularly and finish your good work. Then come back and build to an effective contribution up forward in the firsts.

He isn't going terribly, but just hasn't given us much at all. Hard job he has though for a guy his age and development.

always right
21-04-2014, 02:00 PM
re: Jong, tell me how I'm wrong! The difference between Daniel Cross and Jong is that Crossy had a fantastic footy brain and constantly made good decisions. Jongy doesn't.

I think you're wrong to write off Jong from ever becoming an AFL player. Not disputing he has a lot to learn and may not end up making it but to declare he'll never make it at the stage of his career is simply ridiculous. To say that the difference between Jong and Cross is that Cross had a fantastic footy brain completely ignores the fact that Cross showed very little in his third year and his strengths only became apparent several years into his career.

Scorlibo
21-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I think you're wrong to write off Jong from ever becoming an AFL player. Not disputing he has a lot to learn and may not end up making it but to declare he'll never make it at the stage of his career is simply ridiculous. To say that the difference between Jong and Cross is that Cross had a fantastic footy brain completely ignores the fact that Cross showed very little in his third year and his strengths only became apparent several years into his career.

A lot of players get delisted after three years on the rookie list. Now is the time when we assess whether these are indeed the early stages of his career or if they're the final stages. The point I'm making with the football brain is that whilst players can improve their awareness with experience, good football brains take a long time to develop. By the time they're eighteen they either have one or they don't. For all of his pace and sheer will, Jongy's football brain is too far short of AFL standard and his skills are nothing to write home about.

LostDoggy
21-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Bankers- Dal, something good happens every time he goes near it.
Crameri- Aside from the dropped mark and last set shot was really good.
Wood- Think he's coming along really well.

Anchors
- Our kick in from a point....When we don't have an elite kick bar Murphy and maybe Higgins coming out of the back half I can live with taking the long boundary line kick to defensive 50. What i can not live with is having our blokes feeling like they don't have the confidence to kick it to a bloke who is 40 m straight up the middle and in space to turn and go. I understand the instruction is to go up the wings and boundary to cut down risk of turn over but I'm not copping blokes not kicking it in fear that they'll turn it over. I'd much rather that than have Minson serve up garbage air contests from that long bomb and our mids stand back and watch whilst Gibbs and co get it straight back in.

-Our opposition defense from a kick in.....If we kick a point from in general play (ie not a set shot and time to set up) it's got to the stage where you can put down your drink and go to the toilet/grab your food because you know the opposition will go coast to coast. The sickening part of our kick in defense is that it happens far too often from set shots (TIME TO SET UP), this has been on my agenda for a long time and it's got to the point where it's just laughable and unacceptable.

-Our foot skills and simple skill errors just kill us so much coupled with horrific luck in non calls/calls against.

-Williams was incredibly sad to watch but gee wiz our defense were thrown under a bus yesterday. Thought our mids and whole ground defensive effort was embarrassing. Time put into Gibbs at stoppage and spread= reaction time of F1 driver. ( I was not at the game for the record, only watched it).

After all this....we should have won. That's what upsets me most.

Mantis
21-04-2014, 02:51 PM

Is there a rule on who can get potted?

I agree with the call, Jackson had no influence on the game with the ball in hand which isn't good enough if you are going to gather it 30 times.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Bankers,
Dahlhaus - I thought he tried his guys out
Crameri - looks to be settling in well and wants the footy
Gia - my thought is that we looked far better when he came on, shame it was too late

Anchors,
The missed goals when we had control of the play from Cooney, Macrae, Crameri & Gia
Coaches - Why the hell did we not make some changes in the first quarter when Murphy & Gibbs were running around having a birthday
Midfield - No plan "B" today, Minson and Libba getting smashed and no mates to help them out.

Go_Dogs
21-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Anchors
- Our kick in from a point....When we don't have an elite kick bar Murphy and maybe Higgins coming out of the back half I can live with taking the long boundary line kick to defensive 50. What i can not live with is having our blokes feeling like they don't have the confidence to kick it to a bloke who is 40 m straight up the middle and in space to turn and go. I understand the instruction is to go up the wings and boundary to cut down risk of turn over but I'm not copping blokes not kicking it in fear that they'll turn it over. I'd much rather that than have Minson serve up garbage air contests from that long bomb and our mids stand back and watch whilst Gibbs and co get it straight back in.

-Our opposition defense from a kick in.....If we kick a point from in general play (ie not a set shot and time to set up) it's got to the stage where you can put down your drink and go to the toilet/grab your food because you know the opposition will go coast to coast. The sickening part of our kick in defense is that it happens far too often from set shots (TIME TO SET UP), this has been on my agenda for a long time and it's got to the point where it's just laughable and unacceptable.

Agree with both of these. We must be the worst side at both aspects and surely it's something we can make improvements on week to week. It seems as though we've just conceded we're terrible and have decided to just take the safe, conservative option (which isn't effective) and either not concentrating or lack a clear plan defensively, and given up trying to improve.

Doc26
21-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Is there a rule on who can get potted?

I agree with the call, Jackson had no influence on the game with the ball in hand which isn't good enough if you are going to gather it 30 times.

He was only behind Griff in managing to first be in the right place to gather the ball 30 times and then ran at 80% disposal efficiency, took the most marks of any of our players and only one behind Waite and Henderson, laid 5 tackles which was the equal 2nd highest of any other Bulldog and has played what, his 22nd game.

I would argue that others are not working anywhere near hard and smart enough for him up the field in offering legitimate, more options for influence, and as all players are pushed into them, not to create a turnover.

Most if not all our players have improvement in them. Maybe we should just Anchor the lot of them for what their deficiencies are.

Boyd manages to slot in the Bankers column whilst as a leader travelling at 68% efficiency and also missing a clutch goal for us, straight in front under minimal pressure.

G-Mo77
21-04-2014, 07:11 PM
By all means give Jackson an anchor for his miss on goal. Give him an anchor for the entire game? Geez. Shaking my head.

Prince Imperial
21-04-2014, 08:05 PM
According to the HS stats, Macrae had 9 score involvements the third most in our team, behind Dahlhaus (11) and Crameri (10). He was clearly one of our better players during the game.

Scorlibo
21-04-2014, 09:23 PM
According to the HS stats, Macrae had 9 score involvements the third most in our team, behind Dahlhaus (11) and Crameri (10). He was clearly one of our better players during the game.

As I've already said, I'd have him in our best 10 players, but not best handful. If the WOOF Player Awards voting is anything to go by, most posters agree with me.

What we like about Jackson is that he is very creative with the ball. His evasive skills better than I've seen in a long while. None of that was on display yesterday, he looked quite conservative if anything with ball in hand, scared to make a mistake. If he's going to consistently be handed uncontested ball, we need him to do damage with it, and that's not what happened yesterday.

ratsmac
21-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Bankers

Griffen - welcome back griff

Bonts - loved his Long arms and how he can get them free

Crameri - loving what he has brought to our team. He is so strong around the hips

Anchors

Williams - Tommy Tommy Tommy. Confidence 0 out of 10

Umpires - poor all night for both teams.

Dropped marks - OMG for crying out loud catch the bloody thing, Carlton did.

bornadog
21-04-2014, 11:50 PM
He was only behind Griff in managing to first be in the right place to gather the ball 30 times and then ran at 80% disposal efficiency, took the most marks of any of our players and only one behind Waite and Henderson, laid 5 tackles which was the equal 2nd highest of any other Bulldog and has played what, his 22nd game.

I would argue that others are not working anywhere near hard and smart enough for him up the field in offering legitimate, more options for influence, and as all players are pushed into them, not to create a turnover.

Most if not all our players have improvement in them. Maybe we should just Anchor the lot of them for what their deficiencies are.

Boyd manages to slot in the Bankers column whilst as a leader travelling at 68% efficiency and also missing a clutch goal for us, straight in front under minimal pressure.

This ^^^

I am staggered he is not being recognized by some posters. Have another look at the game and you will see his influence

Remi Moses
22-04-2014, 05:08 AM
Gotta agree with others I thought Macrae got us up and going.
I think his penetration in his kicking will come when his body develops and he gets fitter.
( I know he's put on some, but he still needs to get stronger)

LostDoggy
22-04-2014, 09:34 AM

Bankers

Griffen - took the game on.
Boyd - another good game.
Crameri - showed some fire when the rest of the team had forgotten their pride. Also kicked 4.

Anchors

Can't agree on Macrae. He had a quiet first half but aside from that miss, I thought he worked hard and used the ball better than most. I think we need to remember the guy is still a kid. I think the same goes for Jong. He's a young guy coming off a bad injury and working off the rookie list. Inconsistency is par for the course with kids.

Bulldog4life
22-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Bankers

Griffen - welcome back griff

Bonts - loved his Long arms and how he can get them free

Crameri - loving what he has brought to our team. He is so strong around the hips

Anchors

Williams - Tommy Tommy Tommy. Confidence 0 out of 10

Umpires - poor all night for both teams.

Dropped marks - OMG for crying out loud catch the bloody thing, Carlton did.

Can't agree with this one Rats I thought Carlton had the better of the umpiring by a mile.

1eyedog
22-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Can't agree with this one Rats I thought Carlton had the better of the umpiring by a mile.

Yep other than the Boyd hold in the first quarter that resulted in a goal we were bent over the table by the umpires.

bornadog
22-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Yep other than the Boyd hold in the first quarter that resulted in a goal we were bent over the table by the umpires.
Had his arm over Boyd's shoulder.

always right
22-04-2014, 03:11 PM

And then there was the non-call against Jong when he was run down by Yarran.

Scorlibo
22-04-2014, 03:12 PM
This ^^^

I am staggered he is not being recognized by some posters. Have another look at the game and you will see his influence

Noticed in the WOOF Awards thread that you weren't at the game. Very hard to gauge a player's use of the ball, decision making and all, when you're only watching the 5x5 metre area of the ground directly around them.

Can't agree on Macrae. He had a quiet first half but aside from that miss, I thought he worked hard and used the ball better than most. I think we need to remember the guy is still a kid. I think the same goes for Jong. He's a young guy coming off a bad injury and working off the rookie list. Inconsistency is par for the course with kids.

I've said that I thought he was in our better half of players, probably 5th-8th best for us. Going off the WOOF Player Awards that seems like where most posters are putting him. I gave him an anchor because it was plain to me at the ground that he had an air of trepidation whenever he had the ball, and for someone who is playing as an outside midfielder, receiving the most uncontested ball of anyone out there (24 uncontested touches, next is Griffen with 19), he needs to be more aggressive. I'm just hoping it's a blip on the radar.

soupman
22-04-2014, 03:13 PM

That was textbook holding the ball too. That will be in the video of the rules next year.

bornadog
22-04-2014, 03:22 PM

The umpire may have thought he kicked it with his toe, as he swung his foot.

always right
22-04-2014, 03:25 PM
The umpire may have thought he kicked it with his toe, as he swung his foot.

Maybe:rolleyes:.......99 times out of 100 it's called holding the ball. Had the roles been reversed we would have been screaming.

bornadog
22-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Noticed in the WOOF Awards thread that you weren't at the game. Very hard to gauge a player's use of the ball, decision making and all, when you're only watching the 5x5 metre area of the ground directly around them.

Really? sorry can't agree with this.

LostDoggy
23-04-2014, 01:25 AM

I've said that I thought he was in our better half of players, probably 5th-8th best for us. Going off the WOOF Player Awards that seems like where most posters are putting him. I gave him an anchor because it was plain to me at the ground that he had an air of trepidation whenever he had the ball, and for someone who is playing as an outside midfielder, receiving the most uncontested ball of anyone out there (24 uncontested touches, next is Griffen with 19), he needs to be more aggressive. I'm just hoping it's a blip on the radar.

Bit cheeky mate. Why not just come right out and say, “Bullshit! You weren't at the game, so you've no idea what you're talking about.”

bornadog
23-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Maybe:rolleyes:.......99 times out of 100 it's called holding the ball. Had the roles been reversed we would have been screaming.

true - but, this year I have noticed the umpires are not paying frees for incorrect disposal. I think this is a flaw in the umpiring.

Scorlibo
23-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Bit cheeky mate. Why not just come right out and say, “Bullshit! You weren't at the game, so you've no idea what you're talking about.”

:D I hope that's not how you read it! There are some areas of the game very hard to pick up from behind the cameras. Good commentators help. We had Dwayne again = zero help.

azabob
23-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Really? sorry can't agree with this.

BAD, you know very well things at the ground compared to TV appear very different.

I commented on another thread that Macrae looked 'nervous' around goal and didn't back himself in. For whatever reason he may have got a lot of the footy but he wasn't as damaging with his run and carry, quick one - two gives as he has been this season.

soupman
23-04-2014, 11:34 AM
BAD, you know very well things at the ground compared to TV appear very different.

I commented on another thread that Macrae looked 'nervous' around goal and didn't back himself in. For whatever reason he may have got a lot of the footy but he wasn't as damaging with his run and carry, quick one - two gives as he has been this season.

I thought there were certainly times late in the match where he went for a low percentage handball that didn't come off instead of dodging around his opponent like I expected.

I thought Carlton were very good at anticipating Macrae's and Griffen's shimmies and to me it looked like Macrae wasn't confident he would get past them towards the end.

bornadog
23-04-2014, 11:53 AM

He is 19 years old.

1eyedog
23-04-2014, 01:12 PM
He is 19 years old.

Agreed, giving Macrae an anchor is ridiculous really given the abundance of non-contributors we had. He put himself in dangerous positions and created space / got separation and demanded possession time and time again.

Scorlibo
23-04-2014, 11:10 PM
I thought there were certainly times late in the match where he went for a low percentage handball that didn't come off instead of dodging around his opponent like I expected.

I thought Carlton were very good at anticipating Macrae's and Griffen's shimmies and to me it looked like Macrae wasn't confident he would get past them towards the end.

That was definitely a part of it. Griff has such great power through the torso that he doesn't need to completely bamboozle the opposition, he can bust through the tackles, but I bet the opposition's players are beginning to be told in meetings leading up to playing us about Macrae's tricks. It will be interesting to see how he does once everyone knows his game.

He is 19 years old.

Agreed, giving Macrae an anchor is ridiculous really given the abundance of non-contributors we had. He put himself in dangerous positions and created space / got separation and demanded possession time and time again.

He's doing amazing things for a 19 year old. No one's disputing that.

jeemak
24-04-2014, 12:34 AM
A lot of players get delisted after three years on the rookie list. Now is the time when we assess whether these are indeed the early stages of his career or if they're the final stages. The point I'm making with the football brain is that whilst players can improve their awareness with experience, good football brains take a long time to develop. By the time they're eighteen they either have one or they don't. For all of his pace and sheer will, Jongy's football brain is too far short of AFL standard and his skills are nothing to write home about.

For someone who's so intent on pushing objectivity in measuring the game and the performances of those who play it you've relied on one of the most subjective facets I can think of to put a line through a player.

bornadog
24-04-2014, 09:33 AM
For someone who's so intent on pushing objectivity in measuring the game and the performances of those who play it you've relied on one of the most subjective facets I can think of to put a line through a player.

He is 20 years old and has played a half dozen games - sheesh Scorlibo is tough on the younger players.

Scorlibo
24-04-2014, 01:24 PM

I suppose I'm discussing something which affects Lin's performance, not the performance itself. If we're discussing performance then, for someone who spends a lot of time running through the midfield, Lin needs to average far more than 11 disposals and 55 supercoach points to keep his place in the side.

The decision making is something which would be best demonstrated with access to the game data of the AFL Player Ratings. Alas, this data is not available.